• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Recently got an iphone 5. A disappointment coming from the Galaxy S2. One issue I'm having is that it doesn't constantly stay connected to my wifi at home. Every time I unlock the phone I have to go to dettings and choose the network and reconnect, including entering the password. How do I just keep it automatically connected?

That doesn't sound right at all. Not sure what is going on, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Dreaver

God damn, my iPhone 5 lock button suddenly started acting weird :\. Most of the time it won't work, sometimes I've to press the button 5 times or even more before it locks the phone (or visa verse). Guess I'll bring the Apple Store a visit tomorrow...

I don't have to reset the phone before I go right?

CrankyJay

Banned
God damn, my iPhone 5 lock button suddenly started acting weird :\. Most of the time it won't work, sometimes I've to press the button 5 times or even more before it locks the phone (or visa verse). Guess I'll bring the Apple Store a visit tomorrow...

I don't have to reset the phone before I go right?

Is it jailbroken?

Mr.Fresh

Is there a reason why my iPhone wont let me watch YouTube videos embeded from GAF anymore? I have been doing it since I got my phone and recently it just stopped working. It takes me to the shitty YouTube app.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there a reason why my iPhone wont let me watch YouTube videos embeded from GAF anymore? I have been doing it since I got my phone and recently it just stopped working. It takes me to the shitty YouTube app.
Uninstall the YouTube app? It catches YouTube URLs from apps and opens them in itself.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Just got my iPhone replaced at the apple store.... again.

I am now on my third iPhone. both phones had strange camera issues (first was a black smudge, second was a purple fleck of dead pixels on the camera itself)... Dunno what it is with me and my iPhone camera, but it's the only iPhone I've had any issues with.. and I've had iPhone's since the first one :/

Anywho.. iCloud backup was amazing, and they must cache all the apps at the store cuz the restore was fast as hell.

$h@d0w

After 12 hours on battery, 76% left.

Notifications: Phone, Messages, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Gmail, Pocket Casts, Chrome.
Brightness: 25-50%
LTE: On
Jailbroken 6.1

iPhone 5 is the boss, so glad I switched back to iOS from my old Galaxy Nexus. Previously using iPhone 4.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How does the battery life on the iPhone 5 compare to the 4 and 4s, from what you guys have experienced?
I find ones battery life largely depends on ones reception quality. Semi low reception for a prolonged period drains batteries like crazy. No matter what app strain one puts to it.

mrkgoo

I find ones battery life largely depends on ones reception quality. Semi low reception for a prolonged period drains batteries like crazy. No matter what app strain one puts to it.

So true. I detailed so many variables tha can affect battery drainage speeds in a post long ago, and it really hampers accurately gauging you battery life to the point where I feel a single data point in drainage is worthless.

After many cycles, I've noticed that it can vary by a huge margin. My battery life appears to be 5-10 hours with the biggest factor being whether I'm on wifi or not (aside from audio listening which doesn't use much battery life, but counts as usage - you can make your usage time appear to increase if you listen to a lot of audio). On 3G, it's closer to 5, on wifi it's closer to 10.

Cell data is supposed to be 8 hours. So do I have a broken phone? I doubt it. I gather that it's probably largely due to the 3G reception and usage in my city. We have no lte, but however it works I think that's just how it is. People should not really listen to others when they say "oh I get X hours, your phone must be broken" - you should really compare it with phones in the same area. Not saying that broken phones don't exist, but just consider the wider sample set before jumping to conclusions.

Not just reception either. I've seen my phone vary in usage times according to all sorts of parameters. I've seen my phone drop 10% in 30 minutes. Heck I've seen my phone drop ZERO percent in 40 minutes. Not to mention I doubt the percentage meter is fully accurate and is likely not truly linear. So many factors.

The only thing I will add is that the iPhone 5 has decent battery life for my usage - it gets me through the day. Probably best thing you can do if you're picky about this sort of thing is to turn the percentage meter OFF and just use it and see how you go.

Just unboxed my Mophie Helium. First impression - really nice, slick design, phone slides in and out easily. Bulky but not as heavy as expected. Comes with a headset adapter.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sorry if this is an ancient question but I just got the thing today and haven't researched at all:

If I have a universal dock and a cool sony clock for my iPhone 4, what is the best solution to adapt those connectors to the 5? The official apple adapter just sticks straight up and gives zero support, I feel like one jump from my cat could rip that thing off the dock or something...

Flunkie

Banned
Just unboxed my Mphie Helium. First impression - really nice, slick design, phone slides in and out easily. Bulky but not as heavy as expected. Comes with a headset adapter.

Does this one have a better reputation than the iPhone 4 Mophies? Almost anywhere I look people are complaining about the connector and how it is so cheaply made.

Does this one have a better reputation than the iPhone 4 Mophies? Almost anywhere I look people are complaining about the connector and how it is so cheaply made.
Build quality/connector seems excellent to me. First time I've seen any third-party Lightning connector and it looks just like an Apple one.

Presco

Just got my iPhone replaced at the apple store.... again.

I am now on my third iPhone. both phones had strange camera issues (first was a black smudge, second was a purple fleck of dead pixels on the camera itself)... Dunno what it is with me and my iPhone camera, but it's the only iPhone I've had any issues with.. and I've had iPhone's since the first one :/

Anywho.. iCloud backup was amazing, and they must cache all the apps at the store cuz the restore was fast as hell.

Had my 5 replaced two days ago because of a purple fleck on the right side of the lens myself. Also had some minor cosmetic issues out of the box but I didn't care. Also developed some minor scratches in the one month I owned it. My launch iPhone 4 was a tank and looked brand new when I sold it last month. My wife's 4 was the same but her white 5 is still perfect. Kind of wish I went white as well.

KanyeEast

Banned
Hey guys,
I am looking for a case for iphone 5. I want it to be very thin something which is also transparent. Do you have suggestions?

$h@d0w

Hey guys,
I am looking for a case for iphone 5. I want it to be very thin something which is also transparent. Do you have suggestions?

I have the black version of this but it also comes in smoke, white and transparent:

http://www.powersupportusa.com/shop/iphone-5/white-air-jacket-set.html

https://www.pawasapo.co.jp/products/iphone/pjk70.php?category=iphone_5

Not sure why the US site doesn't have the other colors listed.

Absolutely amazing case but it is a little expensive. Does come with a free set of screen protectors though (1 clear and 1 anti reflective).

The best things about it are the headphones compatibility, thinness and finish - the buttons and connectors are perfectly aligned.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After looking into the dock/adapter situation it looks kind of worrisome...

So Apple isn't even making a new universal dock? And their adapter for existing connectors is a bit of a joke as far as practicality goes. Trying to find clock radios for this thing to replace my Sony is ridiculous too, it's like they barely exist.

Balb

Are there any good native iPhone 5 car chargers + aux 2 in 1 adapters? I've been searching for one for months. Tired of my phone running out of battery when I need it.

After looking into the dock/adapter situation it looks kind of worrisome...

So Apple isn't even making a new universal dock? And their adapter for existing connectors is a bit of a joke as far as practicality goes. Trying to find clock radios for this thing to replace my Sony is ridiculous too, it's like they barely exist.

Yep, it's bizarre but Flybridge is still basically the only real dock option...

Breaking news: iPhones running iOS 6.x can be accessed without passcodes and used to make calls, send emails and have contacts stolen

Here's a quote from TFA:

Jailbreak Nation has discovered the method for doing so and The Reg can confirm the method works after a sequence of swipes and key presses. It worked for us on an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.02, not just iOS 6.1 as Jailbreak Nation suggests.

WTF Apple?! If I've read this correctly, anybody can enter the appropriate series of swipes and button presses into any iOS 6.x iPhone and make as many calls as they like? This could potentially be class-action lawsuit material and is yet another blow for the buggy mess that is iOS 6.

Read the full article here and stay safe, shiny GAFfers!

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there a way to disable vibration when setting an alarm? I can't find a toggle anywhere and it's annoying me to no end.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there a way to disable vibration when setting an alarm? I can't find a toggle anywhere and it's annoying me to no end.

It's tied to the 'Vibrate' settings in Sounds settings, there's no separate vibrate option for Alarms.

In the meantime, what happens to any of the poor suckers who may theoretically have had hundreds or thousands of dollars of calls stolen? Surely Apple have to be liable for this.

Theoretically they have a bad day? You sound very alarmist for no real reason, it's not like these things are uncommon, not just with Apple.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that Apple's already working on a fix, due out Wednesday last I heard.

Regarding Apple's liability, we use Apple devices and software on our own risk (this goes with everything mind you), EULAs exempt corporations like that.

Apple EULA said:
e. NO WARRANTY: YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT USE OF THE LICENSED APPLICATION IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE LICENSED APPLICATION AND ANY SERVICES PERFORMED OR PROVIDED BY THE LICENSED APPLICATION ("SERVICES") ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND “AS AVAILABLE”, WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND...

Christopher

My 4S battery is starting to die out on me by 3:00 it will be at 11% from a full nights charge and barely any use. Verizon upgrade in June here I come..dunno if I should get a 5 or just hold out for a 5S.

I'm gonna hold for a 5S...it's bound to have some silly feature that the 5 wont have that I want.

giga

Are scuffs still a problem for those of you who got a 5 recently? White still the better option if you want to hide marks?

CrankyJay

Banned
I went to the Apple Store and got a new iPhone 5 in two minutes. Problem solved. :)

I had no doubts. Never had a problem exchanging out iPods or iPhones ever as long as you're under warranty etc.

Last time I had to do it, it was for my wife whose week old iPhone4 was having some sim card tray problem where the metal contracts were bumping into the metal tray causing the phone to short out or something and think it didn't have a card.

Cheech

Are scuffs still a problem for those of you who got a 5 recently? White still the better option if you want to hide marks?

You'll only get scuffs if you drop the thing. I am not super anal retentive, though. My black 5 still looks new about 18 inches away from my face. I can't see the damage unless I'm inspecting it up close.

jts

...hate me...
In the meantime, what happens to any of the poor suckers who may theoretically have had hundreds or thousands of dollars of calls stolen? Surely Apple have to be liable for this.
wtf? You need physical access to the phone. Most people don't even use a passcode to begin with.

crispyben

So I guess I was a bit too enthusiastic playing Joe Danger Touch!, and now it feels like the screen on my iPhone 5 recesses very slightly when I tap it a bit too hard... Should I worry?

Also, I noticed something is loose on the inside, because it rattles when I shake the phone. I was hoping it was just one of the buttons moving, but the noise is there even when I hold them. What could have come undone without preventing the phone from functioning normally? Could both issues be related?

Finally upgrading to an iPhone 5 from an iPhone 4. I ordered it from the Apple website, it says it will be here 'Delivers Feb 20 via Next Day Shipping'. I'm surprised it will be the 20th since I placed the order on the 16th. It has been Preparing for Shipment since the 16 too. weird. oh well. Can't wait to get it.

Husker86

So I guess I was a bit too enthusiastic playing Joe Danger Touch!, and now it feels like the screen on my iPhone 5 recesses very slightly when I tap it a bit too hard... Should I worry?

Also, I noticed something is loose on the inside, because it rattles when I shake the phone. I was hoping it was just one of the buttons moving, but the noise is there even when I hold them. What could have come undone without preventing the phone from functioning normally? Could both issues be related?
The rattle is either the camera lens or vibrating motor. That's normal.

muddream

Banned

My scuffs are only visible if you're paying close attention. If you mess up and get big scratches on it, it'll look just as bad in white.

The black border of non-iPhone 5 optimized apps blending in with the front is a stronger argument for choosing a color. Unless of course you're a guy, then you shouldn't be thinking about a white one to begin with.

Top Bottom