• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

giga

PSA: Genuine "refurbished" lightning cable for $10. Use code: A4C5OFF

http://www.all4cellular.com/product/apple-iphone-5-lightning-to-usb-cable-white-refurbished.html

I can personally vouch that All4Cellular is legit.

My scuffs are only visible if you're paying close attention. If you mess up and get big scratches on it, it'll look just as bad in white.

The black border of non-iPhone 5 optimized apps blending in with the front is a stronger argument for choosing a color. Unless of course you're a guy, then you shouldn't be thinking about a white one to begin with.
Disagree. I carried a white phone for a time and I didn't care at all what others thought of me.

renitou

Unless of course you're a guy, then you shouldn't be thinking about a white one to begin with.
I continue to be baffled by those who perceive an inherent femine quality in white electronics.

Also disgusted that such also equate feminine with weak. It's disheartening.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
White 5 is beautiful. Only reason I didn't pick is because they were out at the time and I wanted an iPhone ASAP.

Just got a white iPhone 5 over the weekend. My first Apple product ever actually.

So far I'm liking it quite a bit. I'm still getting used to the smaller screen size. My old phone was a Samsung Infuse android that had a 4.3-4.5 inch screen, so this one feels pretty small. Plants Vs. Zombies is definitely a little harder to play because tapping the very top plant or shovel can be a little hit or miss for me at the moment.

But other than that it seems great. It feels and looks fantastic and Downcast is already the most awesome app I've ever used.

I ordered 2 cases from Amazon because the ones in stores are all grossly over-priced. $35 for a chunk of plastic+rubber? $80 for one that looks like a book? No thanks. Doesn't help that I didn't find a single one in the color I wanted.
I got a bumper style case for ~$7 and a more protective one for ~$15. I just hope I don't drop the phone before they get here, haha.

Getting my music onto the device was a little tricky. iTunes seems very automated, but when things go wrong it's a bitch trying to figure out how to fix it.

Finally got a new iPhone. (iPhone 5 64GB)

iK3pXOVfi63Wl.jpg

Last one I had was a 8GB iPhone 3G...that I bought like five years ago.

This one is substantially nicer.

LOL

Anno

Looked through the last few pages to no avail is anyone else getting an error "too many http redirects" when trying to view an app page in the App Store. Direct links work five, oddly. I've tried every combination of restarting/logging in and out/killing applications imaginable.

Omiee

Since yesterday i have started having battery issues with my iphone. Its hot and it drains about 30% of my battery in 1 hour. Im not even using my phone.

What could be the reason?

Anson225

Since yesterday i have started having battery issues with my iphone. Its hot and it drains about 30% of my battery in 1 hour. Im not even using my phone.

What could be the reason?
Perhaps some background app is using the location service? Or are you in a bad reception area where the phone is constantly trying to (re)connect?

Those 2 kill my battery the quickest.

mrkgoo

Finally got a new iPhone. (iPhone 5 64GB)

iK3pXOVfi63Wl.jpg

Last one I had was a 8GB iPhone 3G...that I bought like five years ago.

This one is substantially nicer.

LOL

Ha ha, welcome! I too went from iPhone 3G. Nicer is right! I guess only you will appreciate just how much. The iPhone 3G on his 4.2 is actually close to unusable.

NJBorn

Banned
I can upgrade to the iphone 5 for $199. Should I do that now or just wait for 5s at this point? My wife would be getting my current iphone 4 to replace her 3GS

what hideous cases and screen shield combos are y'all using atm?

I didnt use cases for the majority of the time I've used iPhones, which is since the 3GS came out, but i dont think im going to be able to upgrade as frequently as i did before so I want to keep this one in as good of shape as possible. After learning the hard way that its not so hard for gorilla glass to get scratched I've always used screen protectors. If you get a good one you can barely even tell that its there.

im using the Spigen Slim Armor in slate. The only minor complaints I have is the "lay on the table" protection could be better and neither of the official Apple brand 30 pin adapters will fit with the case on, but other than that I like it a lot

here is a picture of it:
http://lghttp.16708.nexcesscdn.net/80849A/spigen/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/p/iphone_5_case_slim_armor-metal_slate.jpg

in person the slate part basically looks identical to the slate color on the phone itself

Certinty

A bit off topic but I'm on an iPhone 4S and was wondering if there's any way of viewing the full Neogaf website instead of the mobile one on my phone?

Eiolon

December 2011 I bought 3 iPhone 4S' and 1 iPhone 4. The last I checked, we were eligible for upgrades July 2013. Today I go to find the exact date and noticed ALL of them are eligible for the upgrade now. From what I understand you have to wait 20 months for the upgrade but it's been merely 14. Is Apple paying carriers to move upgrade eligibility to try and convince people to grab an iPhone 5? I would doubt that the carriers (AT&T for me) would eat the cost themselves.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone else experience the headset input just stop working altogether And only a reset solves it? I'm testing out how to get it to do it again so I know in the future not to do it, but I'm curious if anyone else has done this.

Ha ha, welcome! I too went from iPhone 3G. Nicer is right! I guess only you will appreciate just how much. The iPhone 3G on his 4.2 is actually close to unusable.

It's even better than you know. LOL. I had lost the volume rocker button about 6 mo. ago, and then I lost the top button about a month before I got this new phone. Was still able to use the controls by sticking my fingernail in the gap left by the missing buttons, but yeah...it was kinda ridiculous at that point. I won't be holding out this long for an upgrade ever again.

The big bonus is I figured out that the only people I actually regularly text message are on iPhone, so I dropped my $15 text messaging plan in favor of just using iMessage. So my bill is now $15 less a month. Still have the unlimited data plan grandfathered in on this sucker too...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just got the adapter for my universal dock, what an absolute joke. It functions, that's the only positive I can come up with. I'm just glad I found it used for $10 less than the ridiculous $30 they charge officially.

notsol337

marked forever
For those asking if they still come scuffed out of the box, they do. I sold 3 of them today, and every single one still had dings around the charging port right out of the box.

I just got the adapter for my universal dock, what an absolute joke. It functions, that's the only positive I can come up with. I'm just glad I found it used for $10 less than the ridiculous $30 they charge officially.
What's wrong with it? I use the Lightning adapter for my speaker dock and it's fine.

mrkgoo

What's wrong with it? I use the Lightning adapter for my speaker dock and it's fine.
I think he's complaining about the price for what it is.

Thing is it's actually got electronics for deciphering what is plugged in to tell it what to use the lightning pins for.

I guess if all you're using it for is charging, then, yeah, might seem a bit expensive.

I use mine for an fm transmitter for my car which already has an adaptor to switch charging pins from the old FireWire lol.

In related news, I saw that apple has a mini USB to lighting adaptor. Does anyone know if this will allow you to use a regular USB cable to sync (not just charge)?

It's so tiny, might be useful to save space.

Edit: let me google that for me: yup looks like the adaptor will adapt a standard MICRO USB to lightning and use for syncing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Its price isn't my main problem, its that the thing sticks straight out farther than i guessed, and its so flimsy and floppy I'm worried that a random cat jump might be bad news. And the connection to the lightning end is so much firmer than the one to the 30 pin end, that one-handed removal is gone since I pulled the thing out of its socket nearly every time, ha.

I know there's a converter they needed to put in there that adds size, but its a pretty inelegant solution for dock people :(

mrkgoo

Its price isn't my main problem, its that the thing sticks straight out farther than i guessed and, its so flimsy and floppy I'm worried that a random cat jump might be bad news. And the connection to the lightning end is so much firmer than the one to the 30 pin end, that one-handed removal is gone since I pulled the thing out of its socket nearly every time, ha.

I know there's a converter they needed to out in there that adds size, but its a pretty inelegant solution for dock people :(

Oh that. Yeah, it sucks for docks in that way. There is a cable you can use, but that defeats the purpose of a dock.

mattiewheels

Oh that. Yeah, it sucks for docks in that way. There is a cable you can use, but that defeats the purpose of a dock.
The saving grace is that there's a kickstarter for a piece of plastic that supports the phone and hopefully braces the adapter a little better...now to decide if I wanna spend $25 more for it.

Got an iPhone 5 last Saturday. Really like it so far, made the switch from Android after about ~40 months on Android.

Although, just a week later, I noticed a slight scratch on the screen which I was disapointed by because in owning my shitty old Droid Charge for 18 months, I never scratched the screen once... and I treated that phone like total shit near its end of life. So, bummed about that, but overall I really like it.

I am also shocked by the battery life. Shit lasts for well over 24 hours using LTE pretty steadily, which is absolutely insane for a phone that is so thin and light.

mrkgoo

Welp. I don't know how this has happened. Maybe I walked into something!?
Wow if that's a dent I'd imagine it had to have been a pretty hard whack.

I have to shield my iPhone in my pocket every time I walk through those spring loaded bars at the supermarket designed to prevent customers rom exiting with a trolley. They bend forward and snap back just at the right height in my pocket.

Nori Chan

I forgot how light the iPhone 5 until I took my case off.

That's why I'm part of #TeamNaked now lol even though it has a bad bad scuff on the corner :(

-griffy-

Banned
Over the past week, my lock button had become unresponsive. If I pressed on the far left of the button it seemed to work okay, but anywhere else and it just didn't work. Ended up that half the time I tried to lock my phone it wouldn't lock.

Brought it in to the Apple Store and they replaced it with a new phone on the spot, in and out in 10 minutes, no charge thanks to AppleCare.

Only problem is I had gotten over the honeymoon phase with my 5 and come to terms with the small chips and blemishes on the case, but now I have a pristine phone all over again and am all worried about scuffing it up again :p

SonnyBoy

I never use a case on my iphone, ever since the OG iphone many years ago. That's like dating this super fine super model and asking her to wear a biohazard suit...

Soybean

I've gone caseless since launch and it's held up pretty well. Certainly some of the black on the chamfered edge has worn off, but otherwise it looks great. I'm not fattening my phone.

JayDub

Got an iPhone 5 last Saturday. Really like it so far, made the switch from Android after about ~40 months on Android.

Although, just a week later, I noticed a slight scratch on the screen which I was disapointed by because in owning my shitty old Droid Charge for 18 months, I never scratched the screen once... and I treated that phone like total shit near its end of life. So, bummed about that, but overall I really like it.

I am also shocked by the battery life. Shit lasts for well over 24 hours using LTE pretty steadily, which is absolutely insane for a phone that is so thin and light.

May I ask your reasoning for switching?

RBH

mophiejuicepackair.jpg

Mophie today announced the iPhone 5 version of the Juice Pack Air, which offers more battery life than the recently announced Juice Pack Helium for the iPhone 5.

While the Helium comes equipped with a 1500mAh battery, the Air offers a 1700mAh battery, which promises to double the iPhone 5's battery life, adding an additional eight hours of LTE use. The Helium, in contrast, is only capable of charging an iPhone battery to 80 percent, offering six hours of LTE use.

The Air and the Helium share a similar thin design, but the Air is slightly larger in all dimensions, including weight. The Air is 2.60 in x 5.54 in x 0.63 in and 2.68 oz, while the Helium is 2.49 in x 5.49 in x 0.59 in and 2.44 oz.

The black version of the Juice Pack Air will ship in 7–10 days, while the red and white versions will ship on March 22. All three cases can currently be purchased through Mophie's online store. for $99.95.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/24/mophie-announces-juice-pack-air-for-iphone-5/

dc89

Wow if that's a dent I'd imagine it had to have been a pretty hard whack.

I have to shield my iPhone in my pocket every time I walk through those spring loaded bars at the supermarket designed to prevent customers rom exiting with a trolley. They bend forward and snap back just at the right height in my pocket.

yeah exactly! I'm usually the kind of person who would freak out if I knew something had the potential to do that to my phone, I'd have had it out of my pocket and I'd check it right away. I'm genuinely baffled.

But... I guess I can always get a nice looking case for it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
yeah exactly! I'm usually the kind of person who would freak out if I knew something had the potential to do that to my phone, I'd have had it out of my pocket and I'd check it right away. I'm genuinely baffled.

But... I guess I can always get a nice looking case for it.
It's probably compression damage not something hitting it. You just smushed against a counter or something so that's why you didn't notice.

Top Bottom