• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if this is the iPhone help thread, but I need some damn help. I just spent 4 hours copying songs from an external hard drive over to my phone. Then after I disconnected my external hard drive, iTunes thought all the songs disappeared and of course, all the corresponding songs on my iPhone were deleted.

Is there anyway to move songs to an iPhone without it worrying about locating the songs on my PC? This is frustrating me to no end since I just lost a few hours of work because of this.

I don't know if this is the iPhone help thread, but I need some damn help. I just spent 4 hours copying songs from an external hard drive over to my phone. Then after I disconnected my external hard drive, iTunes thought all the songs disappeared and of course, all the corresponding songs on my iPhone were deleted.

Is there anyway to move songs to an iPhone without it worrying about locating the songs on my PC? This is frustrating me to no end since I just lost a few hours of work because of this.

In the main iPhone summary tab towards the bottom there is an option to Manually manage music and videos. Tick this and apply.

Then you can just drag and drop from any source directly onto the phone listed on the left pane in iTunes. No sync.

Ashhong

Even when you have it on auto sync this should not happen.

I delete the songs off of my harddrive after I sync it to my iPhone, and iTunes recognizes it's gone and is unable to play the songs, but never ever has it deleted the songs off of my iPhone. So I'm not sure why that would happen to you

However you can use manual manage as Souless said.

mophiejuicepackair.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/24/mophie-announces-juice-pack-air-for-iphone-5/
WTF I just bought a Helium :(

Blackhead

Redarse
Erm, Is there anyway to get the google exchange sync back? Even when restoring from a backup that had the gmail exchange already setup, the sync isn't working. This means that if you have to restore an iPhone for any reason the free google exchange sync is gone for ever :/

mrkgoo

Ok, so we just got LTE here!

I won't be using it though, because it's not available on prepaid at the moment.

I'm told LTE won't be huge hit on battery life, but I was curious about NOT being on LTE - does switching it off, as with other non-used radios, prevent searching, thus save a lot of battery?

Also, our 3G network is Dual Carrier - if I turn off LTE, will that keep my 3G as DC?

Blackhead

Redarse
Ok, so we just got LTE here!

I won't be using it though, because it's not available on prepaid at the moment.

I'm told LTE won't be huge hit on battery life, but I was curious about NOT being on LTE - does switching it off, as with other non-used radios, prevent searching, thus save a lot of battery?
Ok according to Anandtech you'll counter-intuitively get better battery life with LTE compared to 3G:

In my experience the LTE claims seem to be bs but ymmv, IANATJ
I am not a tech journalist

Also, our 3G network is Dual Carrier - if I turn off LTE, will that keep my 3G as DC?
that depends on your carrier, some don't even allow you to turn off LTE at all. Who are you with?

mrkgoo

Ok according to Anandtech you'll counter-intuitively get better battery life with LTE compared to 3G:

In my experience the LTE claims seem to be bs but ymmv, IANATJ
I am not a tech journalist

that depends on your carrier, some don't even allow you to turn off LTE at all. Who are you with?
Vodafone.

There's no way I can get LTE, because they currently don't allow it for prepaid users.

I was just wondering if I'd get better battery life by turning it off to prevent it from always searching if that's how it works. And if I did I don't lose the DC part of the 3G.

I've learnt that the DC will still remain, since it's totally separate from lte.

LTE was activated yesterday here and it explains the mysterious 'enable LTE' button that appears in settings since 6.1 on NZ iPhones.

Talon

Why is that counter intuitive? The fall phones from last year were the first phones to release with the new integrated LTE antennas. I.E. not dying at will as opposed to the earlier in the year units like Galaxy Nexus for Verizon.

8 hours of web browsing seems pushing it though. I've definitely got up to 10 hours of active usage, though. Range between 7-9 mostly now.

Blackhead

Redarse
Why is that counter intuitive? The fall phones from last year were the first phones to release with the new integrated LTE antennas. I.E. not dying at will as opposed to the earlier in the year units like Galaxy Nexus for Verizon.

8 hours of web browsing seems pushing it though. I've definitely got up to 10 hours of active usage, though. Range between 7-9 mostly now.

Er... you're mixed up. Yes, the new LTE antennas were better that the old ones. But what I'm suggesting is counter intutive is that the new LTE is better than the new 3G (not compared to the old ones). It would be like suggesting that you'd get better battery life on 3G compared to Edge — it's just not the way phones have been working. Moreover, if you dig into the Anandtech battery tests, you'll find that it turns up different results when applied to the oldrt LTE phones...

*shrug* I don't pay any attention to their tests anymore as it doesn't seem to reflect how I use my phones

Talon

Er... you're mixed up. Yes, the new LTE antennas were better that the old ones. But what I'm suggesting is counter intutive is that the new LTE is better than the new 3G (not compared to the old ones). It would be like suggesting that you'd get better battery life on 3G compared to Edge — it's just not the way phones have been working. Moreover, if you dig into the Anandtech battery tests, you'll find that it turns up different results when applied to the oldrt LTE phones...

*shrug* I don't pay any attention to their tests anymore as it doesn't seem to reflect how I use my phones
I imagine 3G radio tech has largely plateaued.

This actually makes me wonder what the Edge life of an iPhone 5 is.

numble

3G antenna/hardware needs to stay on longer to download same sized files.

Vyer

Erm, Is there anyway to get the google exchange sync back? Even when restoring from a backup that had the gmail exchange already setup, the sync isn't working. This means that if you have to restore an iPhone for any reason the free google exchange sync is gone for ever :/

Google no longer supports it, so even though its a 'restore', it still has to re establish the sync relationship. AFAIK, there's no way to get it back, but maybe someone has found a workaround...

Next iPhone's battery life with new (third gen?) LTE modems is going to be insane. I'm going to upgrade just for the lack of having to charge for maybe three days at a time.

If I'm upgrading from an iPhone 4, what kind of changes can I expect other than speed, camera quality, LTE?

Also, are there any rumours of a new iPhone coming out in the near future (i.e. not September/October)? Because I'm thinking of upgrading today lol.

Talon

If I'm upgrading from an iPhone 4, what kind of changes can I expect other than speed, camera quality, LTE?

Also, are there any rumours of a new iPhone coming out in the near future (i.e. not September/October)? Because I'm thinking of upgrading today lol.
Having made the same jump:
1. The .5 inch makes a much bigger difference than you'd expect.
2. Holy shit balls this thing is fast.
3. Did I mention it was fast?
4. It's so light, it almost feels "fake."
5. LTE is so blinking fast that you can't even remember waiting for a page to load.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So where are the official or unofficial docks for the 5? Why's it taking s long? I need a good dock for my bed-side table, or even a clock+dock, but can't find any aside from a few crappy ones on Amazon.

LCfiner

So where are the official or unofficial docks for the 5? Why's it taking s long? I need a good dock for my bed-side table, or even a clock+dock, but can't find any aside from a few crappy ones on Amazon.

yeah, it's taking a while. I think companies are put off by the cost of lightning chip certification or maybe the need to add a DAC inside clock radios (digital audio only from the lightning connector), adding to the cost. Or maybe Apple has just been slow in giving the official certification. who knows.

If you need a heavy, solid dock that works with the lightning connector, you can try the elevation dock. I kickstarted it and then later got the iphone 5 adapter that uses your existing lightning cable. works OK, looks nice. the inserting and pulling out takes a bit of force but that's due to how apple designed the lightning connector to really stick in and lock. it's easier now than it was the first week.

JBL has a 100-ish dollar stereo dock (I think it's $100 when on sale?). simple dock with speakers. no clock radio function, though. I plugged mine into a demo model and it seems easier to remove the phone from this dock than using the basic apple cable in the elevation dock. can't comment on SQ as it wasn't plugged in

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't even know why they went with a lightning adapter. Destroyed compatibility with a ton of devices without any added utility as far as I can tell. Furthermore they will probably just abandon it down the line given NFC and wireless charging.

/rant

Lunchbox

Banned

youll see how much uglier it is compared to your 4 because of the extra half inch

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
yeah, it's taking a while. I think companies are put off by the cost of lightning chip certification or maybe the need to add a DAC inside clock radios (digital audio only from the lightning connector), adding to the cost. Or maybe Apple has just been slow in giving the official certification. who knows.

If you need a heavy, solid dock that works with the lightning connector, you can try the elevation dock. I kickstarted it and then later got the iphone 5 adapter that uses your existing lightning cable. works OK, looks nice. the inserting and pulling out takes a bit of force but that's due to how apple designed the lightning connector to really stick in and lock. it's easier now than it was the first week.

JBL has a 100-ish dollar stereo dock (I think it's $100 when on sale?). simple dock with speakers. no clock radio function, though. I plugged mine into a demo model and it seems easier to remove the phone from this dock than using the basic apple cable in the elevation dock. can't comment on SQ as it wasn't plugged in

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Bose Sounddock 3 has a lightning connector - £199.

A bit pricey for me, and I don't really need speakers. Super nice though.

JayDub

Wow. People who feel the need to insult others for having a case on their phone is second only to Android users for giving too much of a shit about phones that aren't theirs.

Oh, so you think having a case on my phone is akin to putting a suit of armor on my super model? Does the model's daily routine put them at risk to get permanent scars and disfigure their super model face?

Even super models put on hiking shoes when hiking.

magicstop

Anyone picked up one of Lunatik's TAKTIK Extreme cases for their i5?
It looks ultra sexy to me, and would really stand up to my intended uses, I think (I'm outdoors a lot, with lots of drops, occasionally splashes, and dirt/dust everywhere). I'm curious how people like it, initial reactions, complaints, etc.

jts

...hate me...
Put me on the I just got LTE activated train. One week ago or so. Incredibly fast... but it weirds me out how it's even faster than wi-fi.

Wi-fi has to step up its game. I hope they don't drag AC like they did with N.

Guess Who

Banned
Put me on the I just got LTE activated train. One week ago or so. Incredibly fast... but it weirds me out how it's even faster than wi-fi.

Wi-fi has to step up its game. I hope they don't drag AC like they did with N.

WiFi speeds in 'Murrika are more limited by ISPs than by 802.11n.

jts

...hate me...
WiFi speeds in 'Murrika are more limited by ISPs than by 802.11n.
I don't live in merica tho. I have the luck of getting really nice 100Mbps broadband (perks of living in a small country). But the iPhone only gets around 30.

Which is of course way more than plenty (talk about 1st world problems) but it's still funny/weird that the long distance radios are able to get more speed than something that communicates at a 10ft distance (and has a good chunk higher theoretical max speed than what it gets).

Natetan

I was out of country and in airplane mode the entire time and holy crap did my battery last a long time. Now that I'm back I took it out of airplane mode and its depressing to see how much power that alone consumes. LTE is particularly bad I think

paskowitz

How much would a mint condition Verizon 32GB Black iPhone 5 be worth on the used market. It is in mint condition. How do I unlock the phone? Is this possible? Could a Verizon Wireless Store do this (I am friends with a store owner)? What does selling the phone "locked" mean?

numble

How much would a mint condition Verizon 32GB Black iPhone 5 be worth on the used market. It is in mint condition. How do I unlock the phone? Is this possible? Could a Verizon Wireless Store do this (I am friends with a store owner)? What does selling the phone "locked" mean?
Craigslist. Verizon iPhones are SIM unlocked, so it should be a nice price.

Husker86

Depends on where you live for Craigslist. I got $695 for mine on eBay but with about $55 in eBay and PayPal fees.

Hey does anyone know how to verify if the LTE network is working properly? Apple just changed my 5 and now i find that the LTE doesnt appear as often. Is there any way to verify if its my phone or the network?

Blackhead

Redarse

Craigslist. Verizon iPhones are SIM unlocked, so it should be a nice price.

Depends on where you live for Craigslist. I got $695 for mine on eBay but with about $55 in eBay and PayPal fees.

Verizon iPhones seem to hold the best value. :/ Why is that? Trying to sell my Black 32GB (non Veizon) and not getting anywhere close to $600.

123rl

I don't live in merica tho. I have the luck of getting really nice 100Mbps broadband (perks of living in a small country). But the iPhone only gets around 30.

Which is of course way more than plenty (talk about 1st world problems) but it's still funny/weird that the long distance radios are able to get more speed than something that communicates at a 10ft distance (and has a good chunk higher theoretical max speed than what it gets).

I'm on 100mb wifi and I only get about 35mb/s on my iPhone. Is that the reason why? I was curious and was actually going to ask this as it seemed really strange. Although I do seem to get a faster speed on my iPad 3 than on my iPhone (about 40mb compared to ~30mb)

Beatrix

So I recently purchased an iPhone 5 off Amazon, out of pocket so no warranties or anything of that sort. Long story short, my screen now has dead pixels. It looks like a piece of hair is stuck in screen, with bleeding colors around it. The physical screen itself is fine, no actual cracks on the glass but the dead/messed up pixels really bother me.

Before I make the trip to the Apple store, does anyone have any idea how much it'll cost to get the screen fixed?

numble

So I recently purchased an iPhone 5 off Amazon, out of pocket so no warranties or anything of that sort. Long story short, my screen now has dead pixels. It looks like a piece of hair is stuck in screen, with bleeding colors around it. The physical screen itself is fine, no actual cracks on the glass but the dead/messed up pixels really bother me.

Before I make the trip to the Apple store, does anyone have any idea how much it'll cost to get the screen fixed?
It should be within the 1-year warranty period that all iPhones have. But if it is not an American iPhone, they might not service it (I think iPhone warranties are only serviced in the region they were made for, unlike other Apple products, which usually have worldwide warranties).

Beatrix

It should be within the 1-year warranty period that all iPhones have. But if it is not an American iPhone, they might not service it (I think iPhone warranties are only serviced in the region they were made for, unlike other Apple products, which usually have worldwide warranties).

Is that true? It is an American iPhone. I originally had the iPhone 4 when I was on AT&T, then I switched to Sprint and got a Samsung S3. After hating the S3, I just went on Amazon and bought an iPhone 5. You really think it comes with a warranty? Thanks for your response!

numble

Is that true? It is an American iPhone. I originally had the iPhone 4 when I was on AT&T, then I switched to Sprint and got a Samsung S3. After hating the S3, I just went on Amazon and bought an iPhone 5. You really think it comes with a warranty? Thanks for your response!
Yes, the iPhone 5 is not a year old, so it should be under warranty. Check the status by entering the serial number here:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

RBH

kuo_iphone_5s_july.jpg

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new research report claiming that Apple is expected to unveil its iPhone 5S and lower-cost iPhone alongside iOS 7 this June, with the devices coming available in July.

Versions supporting the time-division duplexing (TDD) standard used by China Mobile are said to follow in September.

"We expect Apple will introduce its new iPhones and iOS7 in June, and start shipping the new iPhones (5S and low-cost model) in the FDD version in July. Both dates are earlier than last year’s roadmap. We attribute this to: (1) an effort to avoid repeating the fatal mistake of last year of the delayed iPhone 5 launch, which gave competitors room to grab market share; and (2) the new iPhones this year are mainly designed on the basis of the current iPhone 5, which suggests development time could be reduced."

Kuo says that all of the new iPhone models, including the lower-cost iPhone, will support LTE, with differentiation coming in other specs.

"[W]e expect the product differentiation between iPhone 5S and iPhone 5 will be: (1) computing power, with iPhone 5S to run on the faster A7 application processor; (2) the camera, with iPhone 5S being equipped with Smart Flash, ensuring photo quality using white or yellow flash according to lighting conditions; (3) iPhone 5S will have a fingerprint chip under the Home button, improving security and usability; and (4) the low-cost iPhone 5 hybrid casing of fiberglass and plastic will make it lighter and slimmer than general plastic casing and easier to make in various colors. However, we still think it will be heavier than iPhone 5S, which will have an aluminum casing. Thus, even form factor will be an area of differentiation."

Kuo's iPhone claims are very similar to ones he laid out in his 2013 Apple product roadmap back in mid-January, but the fresh report suggests that Apple is still on track and his fresh comments on a TDD iPhone suggest that Apple may indeed be very close to bringing the iPhone to China Mobile, the world's largest carrier.

Kuo has a rather solid track record, having accurately predicted a number of Apple product announcements in recent years. As a result, his research reports have been followed with increasing interest.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/04...in-junejuly-fingerprint-sensor-for-iphone-5s/

LCfiner

eh, what do analysts know?

I'm certainly doubtful that iOS 7 would arrive less than 12 months after iOS 6 (that would be a first for iOS, I think). Especially after the reshuffling of departments after Forstall's departure.

But I'd love to be surprised and have a meaty iOS 7 revision hitting this summer.

Blackhead

Redarse
eh, what do analysts know?

I'm certainly doubtful that iOS 7 would arrive less than 12 months after iOS 6 (that would be a first for iOS, I think). Especially after the reshuffling of departments after Forstall's departure.

But I'd love to be surprised and have a meaty iOS 7 revision hitting this summer.

iPhone 5S and cheap iPhone in June. Apple then announces iOS 7 with support for the iWatch (and the 5" iPhone) launching later in the year.
Edit: by the way the unlocked iPhone5 starts at $650 in the USA and higher in other countries. I'd be very surprised if Apple sells the iPhone 5S for $600 especially now that they have a cheaper product below it.

Things that could get me on board with an iPhone 5S from a 5:

-Significantly better processor
-A better camera, since my iPhone IS my camera
-A better LTE modem
-Most importantly, better battery life

This thing could be a battery rockstar with a new LTE modem on top of the iPhone 5's already fantastic idle time.

I mostly plan on upgrading out of contract so that I can give my iPhone 5 to one of my parents, though. They were both late to the party with $99 iPhone 4's, they're not up for an upgrade until January, and even then, I could never convince them to get the latest model. Mostly, I just want to get them off of 3G and the iPhone 4's Internet bottle-necking A4 processor, as that thing is just not even good anymore.

Top Bottom