• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

LCfiner

'regular people' don't complain because even know about the most of the poorly thought out features of the OS. the tech-minded know about the rotation lock and the app switcher and complain that it sucks. 'regular people' find the OS so confusing that they probably never stumble on the multitasking in the first place.

Look let's stop pretending that the unsophistication of 'regular people' is some justification for the stasis of iOS. fwiw Apple was able to make huge UI changes to their iPod line over the years and didn't suffer too much (if at all) for it.

calling bullshit here for a couple reasons.

1. anecdotally, everyone I know who has an iOS device, from friends to my younger siblings, know all about the double tap shortcut to access recently used apps. I never had to teach them about it either.

2. the double tap isn't necessary for apps to take advantage of system multitasking, anyway. yes, it's a nice shortcut to switch between apps but Apple designed the system so that the user can just hit home and tap the app icon to switch apps. the freeze states and background processes work in the same way whether you double tap the home button or not.

Blackhead

Redarse
calling bullshit here for a couple reasons.

1. anecdotally, everyone I know who has an iOS device, from friends to my younger siblings, know all about the double tap shortcut to access recently used apps. I never had to teach them about it either.

2. the double tap isn't necessary for apps to take advantage of system multitasking, anyway. yes, it's a nice shortcut to switch between apps but Apple designed the system so that the user can just hit home and tap the app icon to switch apps. the freeze states and background processes work in the same way whether you double tap the home button or not.

1. anecdotally most people I know had to be shown how to use the app switcher, and there have been other comments on this very board attesting to showing parents and friends most after they owned the phone

2. that's completely missing the point.

LCfiner

1. anecdotally most people I know had to be shown how to use the app switcher, and there have been other comments on this very board attesting to showing parents and friends most after they owned the phone

2. that's completely missing the point.

I'll cut to the chase. I think you're nuts that you're calling iOS "confusing" to normal people. The hardest part for a new user would be learning shortcuts like 4 finger swipes on an ipad or a double tap of the home button for iPhones. but those are just shortcuts and aren't hiding vital utility of the OS.

I also don't think the iPod line UI changed much at all over the years. Not sure where you're coming from with that line. the biggest change was with the touch. everything else was just slight tweaks to the wheel design.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'll cut to the chase. I think you're nuts that you're calling iOS "confusing" to normal people. The hardest part for a new user would be learning shortcuts like 4 finger swipes on an ipad or a double tap of the home button for iPhones. but those are just shortcuts and aren't hiding vital utility of the OS.
iOS has grown more complex over the years and 'regular people' do not use most, if any, of its advance features. I didn't think that was even under dispute...

I also don't think the iPod line UI changed much at all over the years. Not sure where you're coming from with that line. the biggest change was with the touch. everything else was just slight tweaks to the wheel design.
huh? The ipod nano, the most popular model, has seen lots of changes. Even the ipod shuffle has been toyed around with culminating in a model with no buttons. Apple manages to make changes to their iPod line despite it being a mainstream product with a userbase made up of 'regular people'

jts

...hate me...
funny you bring this up now. see below.

http://www.panic.com/blog/2013/03/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/

you won't get full 1080p out of the lightning to HDMi adapter. it's compressed video.

not sure about mkv players nowadays but there are people here who've used a few.
It's not so simple.

The iPad mini (A5) doesn't output 1080p video of its interface and apps, which have to be encoded to h.264 video on the fly. But video played on it is already video and h.264 too, to boot, so it shouldn't be a problem to output it in 1080p.

The iPhone 5 with its A6 chip may be able to output better its UI, although it's not even 720p to begin with, but maybe it outputs UI with fewer compressing artifacts.

I picked up the Mophie juice pack air today, I like it much better than the helium. More power, much better form factor, black styling matches the phone better.

matt360

I picked up the Mophie juice pack air today, I like it much better than the helium. More power, much better form factor, black styling matches the phone better.

I knew about the helium but this is the first I've heard of the air. It looks awesome! It says on the homepage that it doesn't block or muffle the sound coming from the speakers. Can you attest to that?

As soon as they see that it is in every shot they will simply swap it out. You'll be in and out of there in under 15 minutes probably with a brand new phone. Well, maybe refurb but still good as new.

Yep, exactly what happened. He looked at it for about 5 seconds and said he'd swap it. Yay!

I had to help somebody at work once because they didn't know how to move icons by holding down and waiting for them to shake.

iOS is hardly complicated but there's a lot of intricacies the OS doesn't really teach you.

mrkgoo

I had to help somebody at work once because they didn't know how to move icons by holding down and waiting for them to shake.

iOS is hardly complicated but there's a lot of intricacies the OS doesn't really teach you.

This!

Fortunately, a lot of those intricacies are sort of more 'advanced' user type stuff. Well, rearranging apps aside. That one is reasonably obscure.

On a related note, I realised that I can move my 3DS icons in a similar fashion. I'm not sure how to delete apps on 3DS yet.

hirokazu

I'm pretty sure there's a one time popup that tells you how to move icons around on the home screen on a clean install, but of course, it's easy to just hit OK without really reading it.

ecurbj

I'm pretty sure there's a one time popup that tells you how to move icons around on the home screen on a clean install, but of course, it's easy to just hit OK without really reading it.
Your certainly right. It says "Arranging Icons" and it gives a very thorough description on what you have to do and then there is a button you press "Dismiss" to get rid of the pop up.

LevelNth

Banned
Hey guys, just wondering, am I the only one who has been experiencing a noticeable decrease in the battery life of my iPhone 5 (and iPad 3 for that matter) since upgrading to 6.1.2 or whichever is the latest update?

It's strikingly noticeable actually, and I would say about a 25% reduction, no joke. I've heard a full restore with iCloud backup fixes the issue, I did this on my iPad 3 last night but haven't had the time to really check it out.

Anyone else?

Talon

Hey guys, just wondering, am I the only one who has been experiencing a noticeable decrease in the battery life of my iPhone 5 (and iPad 3 for that matter) since upgrading to 6.1.2 or whichever is the latest update?

It's strikingly noticeable actually, and I would say about a 25% reduction, no joke. I've heard a full restore with iCloud backup fixes the issue, I did this on my iPad 3 last night but haven't had the time to really check it out.

Anyone else?
Haven't had that experience. In fact, I had another one of those fluke 10 hour usage days on Friday.

pacman85

I had to make an appointment at the Apple Store the other day because my black 64GB iPhone 5 lock/sleep button was not working all the time. It was unresponsive half the time it felt like. Anyway, Apple swapped out my phone for a brand new one after I showed them for about 10 seconds that it wasn't working. I was just posting to see if anyone else has had that issue.

Talon

I had to make an appointment at the Apple Store the other day because my black 64GB iPhone 5 lock/sleep button was not working all the time. It was unresponsive half the time it felt like. Anyway, Apple swapped out my phone for a brand new one after I showed them for about 10 seconds that it wasn't working. I was just posting to see if anyone else has had that issue.
Yeah, I'm having the same issue on the right side of the power button. The left side of the button works fine 100% of the time. The middle is about 50-50. The right side completely doesn't work.

I've been meaning to make an appointment this week.
Is a restore via iTunes worthwhile? I don't have much experience with these devices, I only read it online somewhere.
So I have had good success with a full restore via iTunes about 3 years ago, but I haven't bothered with it since. It might be worth it if your battery life is terrible.

You aren't using Exchange for Gmail by any chance, are you? I went from about 6 hours of usage with Exchange on to a pretty dramatic jump to 8-10 just using the Gmail App/Mailbox.

LevelNth

Banned
So I have had good success with a full restore via iTunes about 3 years ago, but I haven't bothered with it since. It might be worth it if your battery life is terrible.

You aren't using Exchange for Gmail by any chance, are you? I went from about 6 hours of usage with Exchange on to a pretty dramatic jump to 8-10 just using the Gmail App/Mailbox.
As a matter of fact I am, even though I've been meaning to change to the gmail app. It still offers push right?

Maybe I'll try the restore and if it doesn't work, go to the gmail app.

Talon

As a matter of fact I am, even though I've been meaning to change to the gmail app. It still offers push right?

Maybe I'll try the restore and if it doesn't work, go to the gmail app.
The Gmail app experience is I proved over the Stock mail from the standpoint of labels and archiving/deleting.

That said, you give up the benefit of a unified inbox for all accounts (e.g. Work +personal), so there's that.

LevelNth

Banned
The Gmail app experience is I proved over the Stock mail from the standpoint of labels and archiving/deleting.

That said, you give up the benefit of a unified inbox for all accounts (e.g. Work +personal), so there's that.
Do I need to delete the account or can I just turn push off? What would you suggest? Also, if i restore my phone will that make the decision for me since I read you can't set up gmail on the exchange thing anymore? (maybe this is why, is it crappy old tech?)

VoxPop

I'm having the same issue and was looking to get it swapped. I bought the phone without contract off craigslist. How does warranty work?

Talon

Do I need to delete the account or can I just turn push off? What would you suggest? Also, if i restore my phone will that make the decision for me since I read you can't set up gmail on the exchange thing anymore? (maybe this is why, is it crappy old tech?)
Just straight-up delete the account.

Yeah, it turns out that the exchange method taxes your battery to hell.

pacman85

Yeah, I'm having the same issue on the right side of the power button. The left side of the button works fine 100% of the time. The middle is about 50-50. The right side completely doesn't work.

Actually yes, same here. I should expand on that a little bit. It was only the right side of the button that was giving me trouble as well. I literally explained the issue to the Apple employee that helped me and then showed her the problem for about 5 seconds and she immediately said that hers had the same problem and they can just get me a new phone. I was in and out in about 15 minutes because I had everything backed up to iCloud.

I'm having the same issue and was looking to get it swapped. I bought the phone without contract off craigslist. How does warranty work?

I think you should be good because it is still within the first year of the phone's existence so something like that should be covered no matter who owns it.

RBH

China Times is reporting [Google translation, via Macotakara] that Taiwanese chip firm Chipbond has been selected to provide a number of components for the iPhone 5S, including the touch display driver as well as chips to support fingerprint sensor and near field communications (NFC) capabilities. The report suggests that Apple will use the fingerprint sensor functionality to enhance the security of NFC features such as mobile payments.

Rumors of fingerprint sensor technology for the iPhone have ramped up since Apple's acquisition of mobile security firm AuthenTec last year. AuthenTec has been rumored to be cutting off its fingerprint sensor customers this year, presumably to focus on supporting Apple's own efforts in the area. Reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also stated that a fingerprint sensor will be one of the differentiating features for the iPhone 5S.

NFC has been a long-standing rumor for the iPhone, and evidence supporting its inclusion for the iPhone 5 failed to pan out amid claims that the device's design wouldn't even accommodate an NFC antenna. Some have suggested, however, that Apple could have novel plans up its sleeve for deploying NFC within the mostly metal case of the iPhone 5 that will presumably carry over to the iPhone 5S. Still, specific claims of NFC for the iPhone 5S have been essentially non-existent until now.

Last July, it was reported that Apple was deliberately moving slowly into the mobile payments field that could tie in closely to NFC technology. For the time being, Apple is focusing on its Passbook app to offer a digital wallet of passes, coupons, and loyalty cards, although it is easy to see how its functionality could be expanded to include mobile payments and NFC.

Foxconn is reportedly ready to begin ramping up iPhone 5S production, using the same production lines currently used for the iPhone 5.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/11/iphone-5s-to-include-both-fingerprint-sensor-and-nfc/

-griffy-

Banned

I posted a couple weeks ago, but that is identical to my problem. They swapped it out for a new phone and I was out of there in 10 minutes. Sounds like this is a bit more widespread than I initially thought.

Hey thanks for the advice. I wondered why my battery was sucking so bad these days. I had two Google Exchange accounts (one Gmail, one Google Apps), on full push etc.

Have now deleted those two accounts and will see how I go battery-wise with the Gmail app.

Talon

Hey thanks for the advice. I wondered why my battery was sucking so bad these days. I had two Google Exchange accounts (one Gmail, one Google Apps), on full push etc.

Have now deleted those two accounts and will see how I go battery-wise with the Gmail app.
Glad to hear it. Yeah, seriously, it's made at least a 2 hour difference in battery life for me, if not more.
Thanks for the gmail app recommendation. Works great!
My pleasure.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
You guys get by long term without a case and screen protector? I'm getting an iPhone 5 on Thursday. Since I am upgrading soon I took all the extra crap off my current Droid last week and I like the feel of it better. Plus the screen looks much better without the extra layer over it. Would love to not use anything on the new phone when I get it this week, but am a bit worried doing that long term.

Talon

You guys get by long term without a case and screen protector? I'm getting an iPhone 5 on Thursday. Since I am upgrading soon I took all the extra crap off my current Droid last week and I like the feel of it better. Plus the screen looks much better without the extra layer over it. Would love to not use anything on the new phone when I get it this week, but am a bit worried doing that long term.
Never used a screen protector on iPhones. I use a case on-and-off: this super discreet one. Same case I used on the 4.

Over two years, the 4 picked up one minor vertical scratch on the screen, but it actually took me a while to find it.

On the flip side, the Galaxy Note II I used for a few weeks...picked up a scratch on day three. I'm going to guess it was an evil grain of sand.

Ashhong

I actually got better battery with Exchange rather than the Gmail app, and I read online that that was supposed to be the case, no? I forgot what it was that made me leave the Gmail app. Something about it was not nice...hmmm

Talon

I actually got better battery with Exchange rather than the Gmail app, and I read online that that was supposed to be the case, no? I forgot what it was that made me leave the Gmail app. Something about it was not nice...hmmm
You've certainly got that backwards. Nobody has ever claimed that battery life was better with Exchange Push.

Jtrizzy

Yes I also refuse to use cases. It's almost a badge of honor at this point, and I wish people would stop freaking out because I don't use one. I had an otter box given to me as a present, and I had to pretend to like it even though it turns the thing into a monster. Over the last 4-5 years I've had the Droid 2 and iphone 5, and I never come close to fucking it up.

Ooh fingerprint sensor for 5S. Will be awesome if it unlocks the phone with a quick swipe over it.

That and if they fix the paint chipping issues, I'll be really excited to upgrade.

Ashhong

Ooh fingerprint sensor for 5S. Will be awesome if it unlocks the phone with a quick swipe over it.

That and if they fix the paint chipping issues, I'll be really excited to upgrade.

Pretty sure there are already apps that would allow you to turn on the phone by swiping on the screen even with it off. I think.

jts

...hate me...
Pretty sure there are already apps that would allow you to turn on the phone by swiping on the screen even with it off. I think.
If there are, they're jailbreak only (not to be considered by Apple then). Also, no security in that.

Fingerprint unlocking would solve the problem of having authentication/safety together with speed. I never understood how people cope with passcodes. Android's swipe patterns are a good middle ground tho.

Ashhong

If there are, they're jailbreak only (not to be considered by Apple then). Also, no security in that.

Fingerprint unlocking would solve the problem of having authentication/safety together with speed. I never understood how people cope with passcodes. Android's swipe patterns are a good middle ground tho.

Ah thats true, I kind of skipped over the whole security aspect of it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Got my new phone. When they imported my contacts it pulled 600+ people. Before I had 150ish in my book. It pulled everyone from Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc. Is there a way to delete these people aside from doing it 1 by 1? I don't really need that guy I bought something from off Ebay 4 years ago as a contact...

Got my new phone. When they imported my contacts it pulled 600+ people. Before I had 150ish in my book. It pulled everyone from Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc. Is there a way to delete these people aside from doing it 1 by 1? I don't really need that guy I bought something from off Ebay 4 years ago as a contact...

There's a setting in contacts that turns off the sync for Facebook and Twitter and whatnot, I believe. I had this problem too. D:

I have a 4s, but I figure this is a good place to ask...

I'm traveling to the Philippines and Thailand for a few weeks next month. Does anyone have any recommendations for a prepaid SIM card solution for my American phone? I've looked at a bunch, but they all seem like kind of a ripoff.

So is the iPhone 5 supposed to be dropping the wifi connection when the screen is locked? I am not getting notifications, FaceTime etc because it is connected via 3G.

Top Bottom