• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I have a feeling HD Voice and Voice-over-LTE may be used as a sales strategy to sneak people on to higher data plans.

Rather than allow voice calling to continue to be unlimited, market HD Voice-Over-LTE as a new service that improves call quality, and oh by the way, it comes out of your dataplan limit! I could seriously see that happening.

Verizon's goal is voice-over-LTE (and therefore HD Voice) beginning end of this year, most likely early next, by the way. Kind of sucks, but that's what we signed up for when we went good old CDMA. (Even with GSM on AT&T, I did notice noticeably better call quality).

numble

I have a feeling HD Voice and Voice-over-LTE may be used as a sales strategy to sneak people on to higher data plans.

Rather than allow voice calling to continue to be unlimited, market HD Voice-Over-LTE as a new service that improves call quality, and oh by the way, it comes out of your dataplan limit! I could seriously see that happening.

Verizon's goal is voice-over-LTE (and therefore HD Voice) beginning end of this year, most likely early next, by the way. Kind of sucks, but that's what we signed up for when we went good old CDMA. (Even with GSM on AT&T, I did notice noticeably better call quality).
I doubt it. They should be transitioning to these technologies anyway because it saves them money in the long run.

RBH

Screen-Shot-2013-04-02-at-10.45.48-AM.png

As T-Mobile customers using unlocked AT&T or unlocked iPhone devices have had some lingering questions regarding their current device and LTE capability, we’re happy to finally provide an answer. News just hit my inbox that T-Mobile is sending out a carrier update on April 5th enabling LTE and Visual Voicemail among other features. Given that this is an Apple update, there’s no staggered rollout as the update hits iTunes or all iPhone devices around the same time. T-Mobile’s LTE-ready iPhone 5 launches April 12th.
http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/t-mo...lte-for-unlocked-iphone-devices-on-april-5th/

RBH

Wsj says new iPhone and iOS in summer.

April iOS event then?

It's possible, but I'm thinking more and more that the iOS7 developer beta gets announced at WWDC in June, followed by the release of the iPhone 5S + iOS7 in August or September.

bionic77

Is it still $230 to get a iphone with front glass cracked replaced @ the Apple Store (no warranty)?

Weirdly enough the repairs from the guys at malls and small stores are even more expensive than that. I thought it would have been like $100 tops to change the glass on top.

Is it still $230 to get a iphone with front glass cracked replaced @ the Apple Store (no warranty)?

Weirdly enough the repairs from the guys at malls and small stores are even more expensive than that. I thought it would have been like $100 tops to change the glass on top.

I thought it was 200 to get it replaced...then again I have a 4S

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I changed the screen myself once and the parts alone were like ~$75, but I'm getting the impression that they changed a bunch of stuff with the 5 that makes it much harder to replace only one of them. Assuming that's true, I'm not surprised that straight from Apple that the parts cost a ton and the labor is a ton.

hirokazu

It's possible, but I'm thinking more and more that the iOS7 developer beta gets announced at WWDC in June, followed by the release of the iPhone 5S + iOS7 in August or September.

How was it handled before the iPhone release was moved to around September? It was only 2-3 years ago, but I completely don't remember anymore!

But wasn't it like announcement at WWDC and release a few weeks or a month later, with developers given the period of time in between to use the iOS beta?

How was it handled before the iPhone release was moved to around September? It was only 2-3 years ago, but I completely don't remember anymore!

But wasn't it like announcement at WWDC and release a few weeks or a month later, with developers given the period of time in between to use the iOS beta?

WWDC June 10th 2010. iPhone 4 Announced.

Released June 24th

mr2xxx

Banned
The speaker below the front cam is too low during calls which makes me either use headphones or put it on the speakerphone. Not sure what happened but would this be covered under Apples standard warranty?

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^^
Yes, should be covered under warranty.

I believe a "skin" change no problem. there's no talk about fundamental changes to the UI behaviour. hardly seems like a longshot rumor.
I still find it hard to believe they'll suddenly change the look of the whole OS. We'll see.

Well, according to Gruber, iOS is already the leading edge of Flat UI so a "significant system-wide UI overhaul" would imply something fundamental. Or perhaps Gruber just talks a lot of hyperbolic shit.

giga

^^^^
Yes, should be covered under warranty.

Well, according to Gruber, iOS is already the leading edge of Flat UI so a "significant system-wide UI overhaul" would imply something fundamental. Or perhaps Gruber just talks a lot of hyperbolic shit.
Don't see how that editorial is relevant to his usually excellent track record on insider whispers. When Rene is hearing the same thing, maybe it has some merit.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^

Don't see how that editorial is relevant to his usually excellent track record on insider whispers. When Rene is hearing the same thing, maybe it has some merit.

It's relevant to how he'll spin insider whispers and the eventual reveal. Rene concurred that there will be a change but stopped short of endorsing the earth shattering upcoming event that Gruber is suggesting.

dmshaposv

So is Jony Ive delving into the software side of things for the first time?

I do expect it to be minimalistic as fuck. Bye bye skeuomorphism?

LCfiner

^^^

It's relevant to how he'll spin insider whispers and the eventual reveal. Rene concurred that there will be a change but stopped short of endorsing the earth shattering upcoming event that Gruber is suggesting.

where does he say this?

Gruber's quotes:

1.What I’ve heard: iOS 7 is running behind, and engineers have been pulled from OS X 10.9 to work on it. (Let me know if you’ve heard this song before.)

2 Regarding Jony Ive and iOS: Word on the street is that iOS engineers with carry privileges all have some sort of polarizing filter on their iPhone displays, such that it greatly decreases viewing angles, thus making it difficult for observers to see the apparently rather significant system-wide UI overhaul.

and then he says he's heard the same as Rene and then copies Rene's quote:

“Ive’s work is apparently making many people really happy, but will also apparently make rich-texture-loving designers sad.”

Nothing is described as being earth shattering or a huge, massive change. only a reference to moving away from rich textures

Blackhead

Redarse
[/B]

where does he say this?

Gruber's quotes:

1.What I’ve heard: iOS 7 is running behind, and engineers have been pulled from OS X 10.9 to work on it. (Let me know if you’ve heard this song before.)

2 Regarding Jony Ive and iOS: Word on the street is that iOS engineers with carry privileges all have some sort of polarizing filter on their iPhone displays, such that it greatly decreases viewing angles, thus making it difficult for observers to see the apparently rather significant system-wide UI overhaul.

and then he says he's heard the same as Rene and then copies Rene's quote:

“Ive’s work is apparently making many people really happy, but will also apparently make rich-texture-loving designers sad.”

Nothing is described as being earth shattering or a huge, massive change. only a reference to moving away from rich textures

Gruber: "significant system-wide UI overhaul"

NekoFever

I'd like version with that polarizing filter for increased privacy. (tosurf the web during boring meetings)
I was actually thinking of this when I noticed those filters on ATM screens. If there was some way to toggle them like the 3D effect on a 3DS, that would be a pretty cool feature.

Sadly, I don't think it's something that could be turned off.

Blackhead

Redarse
still don't think that phrase is meant to imply something "earth shattering" as you describe it.
Is this a semantics discussion now? Should I bring out the dictionary?

The thing is, the WSJ articles and the rest of the leakers all suggest a "conservative" design change. But the Gruber uses "significant" and "overhaul". His hyperbolic language makes hard to figure out what exactly he's implying. A new skin and a few flattened apps could very well be significant to him.

giga

^^^

You interpreted it differently than I. System wide UI overhaul is vague and could mean a number of things, but after confirming Rene's comment (in both the Branch thread and DF post), it seemed clear to me he was talking about a flatter UI.

I wouldn't expect standard iOS UI conventions to change, like rows of icons on the homescreen, slide to unlock, etc. Instead, I expect them to remove the stitching from notification center and app switcher, remove pinstripes, and other subtle things like that.

Blackhead

Redarse
You interpreted it differently than I.(Ed: "Significant") System wide UI overhaul is vague and could mean a number of things, but after confirming Rene's comment (in both the Branch thread and DF post), it seemed clear to me he was talking about a flatter UI.

I wouldn't expect standard iOS UI conventions to change, like rows of icons on the homescreen, slide to unlock, etc. Instead, I expect them to remove the stitching from notification center and app switcher, remove pinstripes, and other subtle things like that.

*shrug* if you say Gruber is just creaming his pants over so minor gradient changes then I'm inclined to believe you.

You interpreted it differently than I. System wide UI overhaul is vague and could mean a number of things, but after confirming Rene's comment (in both the Branch thread and DF post), it seemed clear to me he was talking about a flatter UI.

When I hear "rather significant system-wide UI overhaul" I imagine something a bit bigger than the removal of stitching and pinstripes.

ecurbj

Especially when it says "overhaul". I would think a dramatic change over from the conventional setup we have currently in iOS 6.

giga

When I hear "rather significant system-wide UI overhaul" I imagine something a bit bigger than the removal of stitching and pinstripes.
Well, that was just an example of how they could be making the UI flatter. There are many other things they could do that would make the UI seem flatter. We're just postulating here. But based on comments by Gruber and Ritchie, both who do have legitimate sources inside, it's clear they are aiming for less texture.

Here's a concept by a former Apple designer. Outside of the font change, would you guys classify this as significant?

http://dribbble.com/shots/1012172-Settings

Blackhead

Redarse
Well, that was just an example of how they could be making the UI flatter. There are many other things they could do that would make the UI seem flatter. We're just postulating here. But based on comments by Gruber and Ritchie, both who do have legitimate sources inside, it's clear they are aiming for less texture.

Here's a concept by a former Apple designer. Outside of the font change, would you guys classify this as significant?

http://dribbble.com/shots/1012172-Settings

Would Gruber classify that as significant?

LCfiner

*shrug* if you say Gruber is just creaming his pants over so minor gradient changes then I'm inclined to believe you.

where are you getting this? Gruber's tone wasn't one of someone creaming his pants. jeesh. you've been reading too far into all these comments.

here's what's likely: removal of gloss, removal of shiny, reflective dock, removal of stitches, patterns, stripes, etc.

numble

Rene is creaming his pants over the polarizing changes that will make texture lovers really sad and flat UI lovers really happy.

Gruber concurred with Rene that there will be a change but stopped short of endorsing the earth shattering upcoming event that Rene is suggesting.

Blackhead

Redarse
where are you getting this? Gruber's tone wasn't one of someone creaming his pants. jeesh. you've been reading too far into all these comments.

here's what's likely: removal of gloss, removal of shiny, reflective dock, removal of stitches, patterns, stripes, etc.

Gruber's tone: "significant system-wide UI overhaul". "Yep" to "[ui changes] making many people really happy"

numble

Gruber's tone: "significant system-wide UI overhaul". "Yep" to "[ui changes] making many people really happy"
You exist in a world where using qualifiers such as "apparently rather" and concurring to a statement that you yourself says "stopped short of endorsing the earth shattering upcoming event" means that someone is "creaming his pants."

I expect he'd have the "I dunno, we'll see if it works" attitude on his podcast.

Blackhead

Redarse
You exist in a world where using qualifiers such as "apparently rather" and concurring to a statement that you yourself says "stopped short of endorsing the earth shattering upcoming event" means that someone is "creaming his pants."

I expect he'd have the "I dunno, we'll see if it works" attitude on his podcast.

I live in a world where Gruber writes blog posts from the perspective of Brushed Metal, a UI skin, and spills copious digital ink over a font change from Helvetica to Helvetica Neue. Suggesting that in his world a "rather significant system-wide UI overhaul" would be considered earth shattering, or that he would be so happy that he would cream himself, is not beyond the pale (just like suggesting some GAFfers would post 'earth shattering' and 'cumming' gifs at a Nintendo E3 conference is par for the course).

numble

I live in a world where Gruber writes blog posts from the perspective of Brushed Metal, a UI skin, and spills copious digital ink over a font change from Helvetica to Helvetica Neue. Suggesting that in his world a "rather significant system-wide UI overhaul" would be considered earth shattering, or that he would be so happy that he would cream himself, is not beyond the pale (just like suggesting some GAFfers would post 'earth shattering' and 'cumming' gifs at a Nintendo E3 conference is par for the course).

"Rather significant" is just greater than "rather minor." The context of his posts were why iOS engineers with carry privileges needed to have polarizing filters installed--people would notice the UI changes otherwise, since they are not "rather minor." Especially when he feels the need to add another qualifier, "apparently." The filters are there because the changes are "apparently rather significant."

Feel free to build up his statement into overwrought expectations for an earth shattering upcoming event and be prepared to curse Gruber when your pants aren't similarly creamed. I find the time people spend getting worked up by his comments to be amusing, especially when there's so little to go by here. Look at evidence of him creaming his pants by saying "Yep" to Rene Ritchie's comment! Just use him as a source along with others to piece together facts.

Blackhead

Redarse
"Rather significant" is just greater than "rather minor." The context of his posts were why iOS engineers with carry privileges needed to have polarizing filters installed--people would notice the UI changes otherwise, since they are not "rather minor." Especially when he feels the need to add another qualifier, "apparently." The filters are there because the changes are "apparently rather significant."

Feel free to build up his statement into overwrought expectations for an earth shattering upcoming event and be prepared to curse Gruber when your pants aren't similarly creamed. I find the time people spend getting worked up by his comments to be amusing, especially when there's so little to go by here. Look at evidence of him creaming his pants by saying "Yep" to Rene Ritchie's comment! Just use him as a source along with others to piece together facts.

It case it wasn't obvious by my first reply, I already consider Gruber's statement to be his usual hyperbolic shit, at odds with the rest of the leaks, and will not be hiding out under a blanket at the next Apple event in case the world is destroyed. I am however amused by people bending over backwards to explain his comments.

LCfiner

but his comments aren't even hyperbolic.

In fact, Gruber, in general, isn't hyperbolic with any of his comments about Apple rumors.

your interpretation of this entire rumor is weirdly antagonistic.

numble

It case it wasn't obvious by my first reply, I already consider Gruber's statement to be his usual hyperbolic shit, at odds with the rest of the leaks, and will not be hiding out under a blanket at the next Apple event in case the world is destroyed. I am however amused by people bending over backwards to explain his comments.
Maybe you need to step back and reconsider whether statements using double qualifiers and a "yep" actually qualify as "hyperbolic shit," suggestions of an earth shattering event, and evidence of someone creaming himself.

I've said multiple times that I don't find Gruber to be of much value, he gets fewer leaks than others, and nowadays when he does, it is along with a bunch of others. I think his general attitude to rumored new features are a "I dunno, we'll see how it works" attitude. I simply think you are seeing more to his statements than are actually there, and they are indeed colored by your past attitudes about him. I don't think anybody else would read "apparently rather significant systemwide-UI overhaul" and a "yep" as someone creaming themselves.

Blackhead

Redarse
Maybe you need to step back and reconsider whether statements using double qualifiers and a "yep" actually qualify as "hyperbolic shit," suggestions of an earth shattering event, and evidence of someone creaming himself.

I've said multiple times that I don't find Gruber to be of much value, he gets fewer leaks than others, and nowadays when he does, it is along with a bunch of others. I think his general attitude to rumored new features are a "I dunno, we'll see how it works" attitude. I simply think you are seeing more to his statements than are actually there, and they are indeed colored by your past attitudes about him. I don't think anybody else would read "apparently rather significant systemwide-UI overhaul" and a "yep" as someone creaming themselves.
You're basing your interpretation on your relationship with his blog and listening to his podcast. I'm basing my interpretation on what he actually said. Other posters here commented that they thought "rather significant system-wide UI overhaul" would mean exactly that not as some euphemism for "I dunno, we'll see how it works". Perhaps he'll change tune on his podcast (I don't listen to that so wouldn't know).

Top Bottom