• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

CrankyJay

Banned
So is the iPhone 5 supposed to be dropping the wifi connection when the screen is locked? I am not getting notifications, FaceTime etc because it is connected via 3G.

Interesting question...on my iPhone 4 I just hit my home button to revive it at it said 3G then switched to wireless right away.

CrankyJay

Banned
That is what happens to me. Has this always been the case?

As far as I know, yes, but I'm pretty sure your phone is still using wifi...are you certain you can't receive FaceTime calls?

edit: Come to think of it, my wife is on WIFI at work...I FaceTime her yesterday so she could see our baby doing something. Maybe 3G is on and it detects that a FT call is coming thru then switches back to wifi and patches it thru.

I just googled this and people seem to agree with your assessment, that Wifi is turned on in sleep mode.

As far as I know, yes, but I'm pretty sure your phone is still using wifi...are you certain you can't receive FaceTime calls?

edit: Come to think of it, my wife is on WIFI at work...I FaceTime her yesterday so she could see our baby doing something. Maybe 3G is on and it detects that a FT call is coming thru then switches back to wifi and patches it thru.

I just googled this and people seem to agree with your assessment, that Wifi is turned on in sleep mode.

Surely it would be better to be connected to
Wifi when asleep though? I have never noticed this issue with my previous iPhones.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Surely it would be better to be connected to
Wifi when asleep though? I have never noticed this issue with my previous iPhones.
It uses active wifi. It turns it off to conserve battery when not in use and turns it back on when something requires it, like iCloud backing up, FaceTime call etc.

All iOS devices do this, always have.

mrkgoo

That's probably with jailbreak right? :/

Anyway I'm excited because a fingerprint sensor means no more passcodes to key in.

If people don't like pass codes so much, why not turn it off?

I don't like them so for the longest time I didn't use them. I have one on now because I hate keying in my password in to Find My Friends all the time. However, I set it to maximum wait so I only see it once a day.

mojiimbo

If people don't like pass codes so much, why not turn it off?
It's worth the nuisance to have a contingency plan to safeguard your personal information in case the phone is lost or stolen. I'm fine with the phone being gone as long as some goon isn't running up my phone bill or going through my messages, photographs or other personal information.

They also can't turn off "find my phone" if there's a passcode in the way although recovery is always a long shot anyways.

hirokazu

I had to make an appointment at the Apple Store the other day because my black 64GB iPhone 5 lock/sleep button was not working all the time. It was unresponsive half the time it felt like. Anyway, Apple swapped out my phone for a brand new one after I showed them for about 10 seconds that it wasn't working. I was just posting to see if anyone else has had that issue.

I got a replacement (refurb, I guess) from the Genius Bar after I cracked my screen in October, and I've noticed sometimes the screen won't turn on when I press the lock/sleep button or the home button. It seems to be an issue with the software not responding to button presses because if I wait maybe 30 seconds, it'll work fine again?

I dunno, but it's very frustrating when it happens, which is pretty random but not entirely infrequent. I don't know if I should get it swapped or what because I don't have any other problems with it.

Ashhong

I got a replacement (refurb, I guess) from the Genius Bar after I cracked my screen in October, and I've noticed sometimes the screen won't turn on when I press the lock/sleep button or the home button. It seems to be an issue with the software not responding to button presses because if I wait maybe 30 seconds, it'll work fine again?

I dunno, but it's very frustrating when it happens, which is pretty random but not entirely infrequent. I don't know if I should get it swapped or what because I don't have any other problems with it.

Get it swapped for sure. Right now

RBH

Nowhereelse.fr reports [Google translation] that it has spotted a pair of alleged parts for the iPhone 5S. The parts appear to have been posted by Japanese vendor Moumantai.

The first part is the device's home button, which looks very similar to the home button on the iPhone 5 with the exception of the flex cable used to connect to the main logic board. The cable on the iPhone 5S is much longer than seen in the iPhone 5 and is routed differently through the device's body.

iphone_5s_home_button.jpg

Apple has been rumored to be adding a fingerprint sensor to the iPhone 5S in the area of the home button, but if such a feature is to be integrated into the home button itself somehow, it does not seem to be apparent from this part.

The second part is claimed to be the vibrator for the iPhone 5S, although the image shows the vibrator attached to a flex cable that also appears to support the volume buttons and mute switch along the side of the device. The cable appears to be of a more compact layout than the corresponding iPhone 5 part.

iphone_5s_vibrator.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/22...ator-and-volumemute-flex-cable-parts-surface/

Omiee

My iphone is killing me. 30% in 1 hour and 2 min of use and 1 hour standby. All i did was browsing on chrome. Not even a game. Im getting sick of this.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is it worth waiting for the 5s at this point? My wife has been eligible for an upgrade from her 4 for just over a month. Her home button hasn't been working and the lock button is a 50/50. Phone seems to hang up a lot and not respond to button presses. It's sporadic how it decides to freak out, and she could live with it for a bit if need be, but if the 5s upgrade from 5 is minor, we're thinking of just upgrading her now. Any thoughts/info?

Is it worth waiting for the 5s at this point? My wife has been eligible for an upgrade from her 4 for just over a month. Her home button hasn't been working and the lock button is a 50/50. Phone seems to hang up a lot and not respond to button presses. It's sporadic how it decides to freak out, and she could live with it for a bit if need be, but if the 5s upgrade from 5 is minor, we're thinking of just upgrading her now. Any thoughts/info?

Biggest hardware feature is probably going to be better battery life, a camera upgrade, and NFC. Given the problems your wife is having now, I would upgrade as soon as possible.

KanyeEast

Banned
My iphone is killing me. 30% in 1 hour and 2 min of use and 1 hour standby. All i did was browsing on chrome. Not even a game. Im getting sick of this.

I love the battery life of my iphone 5 coming from iphone 3gs and 4.
Something must be wrong with your phone or your settings.
Few advices:
1. Set you mails to fetch instead of push.
2. Set your brightness lower.
3. Disable your wifi when you use 3G and vice versa.

My iPhone 5 also has terrible battery life. Is at about 10% usually by 12pm (after leaving for work at 8:30). Need to make a trip to the Apple store, but it's about 2 hours away and I'm worried they'll just give me the above suggestions and send me on my way (already tried them).

Anno

That's...weird. After a day one maybe an hour of music, three hours of browing/refreshing Safari with 3 email inboxes on 15-minute fetches I'm usually at 35-40%. Something definitely sounds off.

Husker86

I love the battery life of my iphone 5 coming from iphone 3gs and 4.
Something must be wrong with your phone or your settings.
Few advices:
1. Set you mails to fetch instead of push.
2. Set your brightness lower.
3. Disable your wifi when you use 3G and vice versa.

When I had an iPhone 5 I did none of those and had great battery life.

Obviously something goes weird in some peoples' phones because these kinds of testimonials pop up a lot. I've never turned Push off on any of my phones though.

Either some apps aren't getting closed by iOS or something strange happens with the OS itself since doing a restore seems to fix it for a lot of people.

RBH

At long last, T-Mobile will carrying the Apple iPhone starting on April 12th. The fourth place carrier announced the news during a press event in New York on Tuesday. T-Mobile, the fourth largest carrier in the US, is the last national carrier to offer the iPhone, following behind AT&T, Verizon Wireless, and Sprint. The iPhone 5 will be compatible with T-Mobile's new LTE network, which was also officially launched on Tuesday. The carrier is also selling the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 in "select markets"; naturally, the older models will only not run on T-Mobile's LTE network.

As part of T-Mobile's new Uncarrier branding and initiative, it will be selling the iPhone 5 slightly differently than its competitors. Instead of requiring customers to sign a two-year agreement to get the iPhone, T-Mobile will let buyers either pay full price for the device at the time of purchase, or spread the cost over 24 months with installment plans. A 16GB iPhone 5 will sell for $99 up front with 24 months of $20 payments. Similarly, the iPhone 4S will cost $69.99 down plus $20 per month and the iPhone 4 will cost $14.99 plus the $20 monthly charge. Unfortunately, there's no word yet on what happens if you cancel your plan or want to buy a new phone before those 24 months are up.

T-Mobile has long supported unlocked iPhones on its network — it's even recently updated its network in many areas to better support the frequencies used by the iPhone and has been selling iPhone 5-compatible nano-SIM cards since this past October. But now that it is selling the device in its stores and online, T-Mobile won't need to be as aggressive in courting AT&T iPhone users to bring their phones over to its network. The question remains now, since offering the iPhone is no longer the advantage over other carriers that it was in past years, will carriers finally have to compete on pricing and network quality instead of exclusives on popular devices? We sure hope so.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4...iphone-starting-on-april-12th-for-99-up-front

Notably, T-Mobile says it will be the only U.S. carrier to support the 'Wideband Audio' feature of the iPhone 5, calling it 'HD Voice'.

T-Mobile is also offering the iPhone 4S for $70 down and $20 per month for 24 months, and the iPhone 4 for $15 down and $15 per month for 24 months.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/26...-april-12th-using-new-uncarrier-payment-plan/

RBH

With the T-Mobile iPhone announcement today and the lack of info about iOS7 (as far as any sort of developer preview at this point), I think I'm just going to say fuck it and go ahead and get the iPhone 5 now instead of waiting for a possible 5S in the fall. Besides, it doesn't look like there'll be much of a difference between the 5 and 5S anyways. I've looked countless times at other phones (Galaxy, Note, Lumia, etc.) over the past few months, but there was one thing or another that prevented me from deviating from the iPhone and I'm just too invested in Apple's ecosystem at this point.

Coming from the iPhone 4, it'll be nice to experience LTE for the first time.

I just hope there aren't any scuffs on my phone out of the box.

tmdorsey

With the T-Mobile iPhone announcement today and the lack of info about iOS7 (as far as any sort of developer preview at this point), I think I'm just going to say fuck it and go ahead and get the iPhone 5 now instead of waiting for a possible 5S in the fall. Besides, it doesn't look like there'll be much of a difference between the 5 and 5S anyways. I've looked countless times at other phones (Galaxy, Note, Lumia, etc.) over the past few months, but there was one thing or another that prevented me from deviating from the iPhone and I'm just too invested in Apple's ecosystem at this point.

Coming from a 4 prepare for an awesome upgrade.

Lkr

ok i don't know what thread to post in. i have a 4s, but the problem is more with iOS I guess. all of a sudden i know longer get those white popups notifications at the top of the screen when getting a new text when in another app. what setting should i look for?

nevermind fixed it.

pacman85

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 and I absolutely love the iPhone 5. The bigger screen and true 4G on the LTE network are obviously the biggest differences and are worth the upgrade alone. The LTE speeds here in Oklahoma City rival Wi-Fi speeds in the tests I have done using the Speed Test app.

lupinko

I went from a 4 to a 5 and I don't regret it one bit.

Also I always get a good laugh whenever you post because of your Peyton avatar. It looks like he's breaking the news with that face. lol

dmshaposv

I recently switched from 4 to 5 and one of my biggest issues is how terrible the wi-fi signal is now.

On 4, I was instant on - quite good strength.

On 5, I have to mess around for several minutes to get it to get signals on my home network. Also, no, switching from WAP to WEP doesn't work - apple just fucked up the wi-fi antenna on this thing. Every other apple device I have has never had any problems with wifi.

Vyer

I recently switched from 4 to 5 and one of my biggest issues is how terrible the wi-fi signal is now.

On 5, I have to mess around for several minutes to get it to get signals on my home network. Also, no, switching from WAP to WEP doesn't work - apple just fucked up the wi-fi antenna on this thing. Every other apple device I have has never had any problems with wifi.

You mean WPA? I would use WPA2 as the protocol.

Also might want to see if there are any firmware updates for your router.

mrkgoo

I don't have any issue with the wifi on my iphone 5. I honk it to be a bit hasty to blame the antenna design. I do understand they're using the latest protocols that can cause issues for those routers that don't understand some of the new stuff.

bonesquad

Well, shit. Over the past 3 days my iphone 5's home button has gone from being fine, to less clicky and more squishy, to down right unresponsive. Almost like I spilled maple syrup on it or something (I didn't! I'm not aware of anything happening to it). The button only works now if I push it in the upper right corner, sometimes.

Sigh. I need to figure out when I can get over to Apple to see if they can do anything.

idwl

The search in the browser now uses yahoo somehow , I don't know how it changed. How can I change it back to google search

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I need help. I am adding text tones to my iphone 5. I got them all changed to m4r and they show up in my itunes library under tones, but when I try to drag them into my iphone nothing happens. How do I move them from my itunes tones folder to my iphone one?

Ashhong

I need help. I am adding text tones to my iphone 5. I got them all changed to m4r and they show up in my itunes library under tones, but when I try to drag them into my iphone nothing happens. How do I move them from my itunes tones folder to my iphone one?

Do you have ringtones set to sync on the iTunes tab?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I did not, and when selecting it I get the "are you sure you want to remove all music, tones, etc" message. I don't really want to delete everything on my phone...

EDIT: Did it anyways, got it. Thx.

Ashhong

Did you have it set to manually manage at first? Like with music you just dragged it in? Weird if that's the case then tones should have been the same. Oh well at least u got it

RBH

Among the announcements that T-Mobile made last month was its plan to deploy improved voice calling starting with the arrival of its iPhone 5 later this month.

The technology, known as HD Voice, requires support from both the network and the devices on each end of the call.

Speaking on Monday, AT&T senior VP Kris Rinne said that the carrier will roll-out its own support for HD Voice later this year as it begins to route voice calling over its LTE network.

“HD Voice is part of our voice over LTE strategy,” Rinne said, speaking at th VentureBeat Mobile Summit in Sausalito, Calif.
http://allthingsd.com/20130401/hd-voice-coming-to-att-later-this-year/

Top Bottom