• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

giga

I agree that the white iPhone 5 is very beautiful. The black is no slouch but the white and aluminum combo is very striking. There are also a lot of different cases and covers that look more tasteful on the white. However at the end of the day you still have to use the phone. I find the white iPhone demphasizes the app content and doesn't complement the UI. I wouldnt want to watch a youtube video with that white frame. The tinted status bars in iOS6 are plain ugly contrasted against the white (not that they are much better on the lack). The subtle rounded corners of the UI views don't make sense with a white body. For the occasionally app that hasn't been updated to support the iPhone 5 resolution, a black frame is hands down better.

It's unfortunate that we have to choose between looks and function for the iPhone 5. Nokia manages to make striking phone models in a variety of colors that don't detract from the user experience — it even complements the ability to choose a color theme in Windows Phone. Heck I even owned a white iPhone 3GS back in the day so Apple is clearly capable of doing colors right**. Perhaps Ive will brush up the UI in iOS 7 to go better with a white phone. For now though, while the white iPhone 5 looks great on the pedestal and grabs attention, I prefer to use black.

**the white plastic on the 3GS showed scratches more visibly that the black but it was still worth it.
Do you still use an iPhone?

Pachimari

We still can't use Plantronics Bluetooth headsets for iPhone 5?

It's really sad as I bought a rather expensive Discovery 975 just before I got my iPhone 5. =/

Mully

I recently bought a Sprint iPhone 4S off Ebay that's supposedly never been jailbroken. I've been trying to activate it all day. I'm starting to think either:

1. Dude sold me a jailbroken iPhone even though it was advertised as not being one.
2. Dude sole me a stolen iPhone.
3. My iPhone that was stolen back in January still has my Apple ID on it making it difficult to assign my ID to this one.
4. Apple's Servers are messed up.

It's likely 3 because looking at the seller's reviews tell me that he's an honest and responsible seller with nearly 1000 sales overall. He's even given me his cell phone number after I asked him if the phone was stolen/jailbroken.

Why is this happening?

Blearth

Banned
In Chrome, tapping the top of the screen to scroll to the top of the page only works half the time. Anyone else have this problem?

Blackhead

Redarse
I recently bought a Sprint iPhone 4S off Ebay that's supposedly never been jailbroken. I've been trying to activate it all day. I'm starting to think either:

1. Dude sold me a jailbroken iPhone even though it was advertised as not being one.
2. Dude sole me a stolen iPhone.
3. My iPhone that was stolen back in January still has my Apple ID on it making it difficult to assign my ID to this one.
4. Apple's Servers are messed up.

It's likely 3 because looking at the seller's reviews tell me that he's an honest and responsible seller with nearly 1000 sales overall. He's even given me his cell phone number after I asked him if the phone was stolen/jailbroken.

Why is this happening?
http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1apxnf/psa_if_you_have_a_used_sprint_iphone_and_are/
...The moral of the story is that a Sprint device WILL NOT do a PRL/Profile update when there is NO data connection to the device, be it 3G or Wi-Fi. There must be an active data connection to do a Profile update. The Sprint reps I've dealt with are convinced it is a jailbreak problem. It is not.

tl;dr: Do not let Sprint tell you that the phone won't activate because of a jailbreak. Keep calm, connect to Wi-Fi (or 3G if you can somehow manage it), then do the magical ##873283# (##UPDATE#). All will be well with the world again.

jerry113

Banned
Hey guys, I have a newbie question about the iphone 5. When my iphone is connected to wi-fi, will it automatically only use wifi instead of cellular data? Or do I have to turn off cellular data in the settings to ensure that the iphone only uses wifi?

Talon

Hey guys, I have a newbie question about the iphone 5. When my iphone is connected to wi-fi, will it automatically only use wifi instead of cellular data? Or do I have to turn off cellular data in the settings to ensure that the iphone only uses wifi?
The former. Your phone is intelligent.

If the 5S is curved, I'll be tempted to get the 5 instead, even though I hate the taller design.

Apple would be reinventing the wheel purely to reinvent it.

And iMessages was down for me. Just went to text.

I think that they may go with the curved design just because they've been relentlessly attacked for resting on their laurels.
It's important to change/monitor your reputation in the eyes of consumers, so I think that they need to do something to alter the public's perception, but I don't think that is it.

We'll see what happens.

mrkgoo

If I buy an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 5 will I be able to use it in a foreign country without any issues?

Depends on the country and if you want LTE. There are like 3 different iPhone 5s, aside from colour and storage space that differ in LTE radios.

RBH

ilab_iphone_2013_volume_controls.jpg

Several weeks ago, photos of a pair of parts alleged to be from the iPhone 5S surfaced through a Japanese parts vendor. The parts included a flex cable for the device's home button and a second flex cable housing the vibrator and volume/mute controls.

Another Japanese parts vendor, iLab Factory, has now posted a new set of photos showing not only those two parts but also a third flex cable that appears to house the device's front camera. iLab Factory points out that these parts may be from the iPhone 5S but could alternatively be from Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone.

One interesting item of note that we neglected to point out in our previous report relates to the vibrator/volume control flex cable. The part contains a strip of three buttons to run along the edge of the device, corresponding to the locations of the two volume buttons and the mute switch on previous iPhone models. But on this part, all three features appear to be buttons, suggesting that this upcoming iPhone may see the mute switch become a push button.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/11...leak-again-mute-switch-to-become-push-button/

RBH

Back in January, reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo laid out a thorough roadmap of his expectations for Apple's product launches in 2013, pointing to a very busy third quarter for the company with launches for updated iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Mac notebook lines. As recently as last month, Kuo was targeting a June/July launch for the new iPhone models, with a version specific to China Mobile arriving a bit later in September.

Kuo has released a new report today indicating that a number of challenges appear to be pushing back the release of the new iPhone and iPad mini models relative to his previous predictions and general market consensus. As a result, Kuo believes that Apple's third quarter may see much smaller shipment growth than previously expected. Apple of course has not announced its launch plans, so any "delays" are relative to these market expectations and not necessarily Apple's internal plans.

"Earlier we estimated that shipments of the new iPhone would begin in July (FDD version) and September (TDD version), while iPad mini 2 would hit the market in August. Currently, market consensus for shipments of iPhone 5S, low-cost iPhone and iPad mini 2 is July, July, and August, respectively. But in light of publicly available information and our knowledge of technological trends, we now think all three products will begin shipments later than our previous expectation and market consensus."

As for details on the challenges facing Apple, Kuo lays out the following issues:

- Fingerprint sensor for iPhone 5S: Work on finding the right color coatings in order to prevent interference with the sensor offers a technical challenge for Apple, and software integration in iOS 7 will also require additional work.

- Color coatings for lower-cost iPhone: Apple's lower-cost iPhone has been rumored to be arriving with a plastic shell in a number of different colors, and Apple's efforts to keep the shell as thin as possible will likely lead to production ramping issues for coatings and surface treatments.

- iPad mini Retina display: Kuo expects the second-generation iPad mini to adopt a Retina display, and technical challenges related to its design and manufacture are likely to slow Apple's release timetable.

As a result of later-than-expected launches, Kuo currently predicts that Apple will see only single-digit growth of total iPhone/iPad shipments year-over-year for the third quarter of 2013, far below current market expectations of 30-40% growth.

Kuo's report comes as Morgan Stanley's Katy Huberty has released her own report projecting new iPhone launches for September following an iOS 7 preview at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) expected in June. Huberty projects that Apple will show off a new "killer app" such as mobile wallet at WWDC, with the new iPhone and iPad hardware following several months later.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/11...phone-5s-lower-cost-iphone-and-new-ipad-mini/

numble

That guy has the best job in the world. Make prediction, cite production delay or technical issues if needed.

Ming-Chi Kuo has a very good track record. He's citing a delay from predictions of products he said would hit in July, August, and September, that's still 3-5 months out from what he previously said. It would be another thing if he cited a delay in July, when the product doesn't turn up.

mrbaba

Why do emails in my inbox seem to "auto-delete" after a couple days of remaining there? Can't I prevent that from happening?

Check your sync length for emails:

Settings > Mail > Gmail/ect. account > mail days to syc

I have mine set to a week, for example.

I'm really hoping the rumour of multiple 5S sizes comes true. I don't need something massive, but something with the dimensions of say the Z10 would be welcome. May not be likely though - if they were to go bigger it would need to be in the 5"+ range to compete with the big Android phones.

jerry113

Banned
The former. Your phone is intelligent.

Thanks. I have yet another question!

I installed Find my iphone app and set up icloud, in case I ever lose my iphone and want to be able to track it down. But what's to stop a thief from simply deleting the find-my-iphone app, or going into the settings and shutting down location services or icloud?

Guess Who

Banned

I installed Find my iphone app and set up icloud, in case I ever lose my iphone and want to be able to track it down. But what's to stop a thief from simply deleting the find-my-iphone app, or going into the settings and shutting down location services or icloud?

You don't need the app installed - just the service enabled in Settings -> iCloud. Ideally you should have a passcode lock on the phone to prevent thieves from getting into it (Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock).

jerry113

Banned
You don't need the app installed - just the service enabled in Settings -> iCloud. Ideally you should have a passcode lock on the phone to prevent thieves from getting into it (Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock).

Thanks. Does icloud use wifi? I heard rumors that it uses small amounts of cellular network even when it's connected to wifi.

mrkgoo

Thanks. Does icloud use wifi? I heard rumors that it uses small amounts of cellular network even when it's connected to wifi.
I have a feeling the iPhone itself uses small amounts if cellular data even when on wifi.

I mean, by all accounts, I understand wifi gets switched off after a whole when it sleeps. And if it does, how does it receive notifications? It must open some port via cell and when it senses data usage if flops wifi back on, at a guess.

I guess I will find out when my dad returns from overseas with his new iPhone, and doesn't get data.

RkOwnage

Hey iPhone gaffers, question for you all.

I have found conflicting answers to this question, so I come to you in hopes that someone can clear the confusion for me!

I upgraded to an iPhone 5 in January, and kept my iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S is a Verizon iPhone. My brother has a Virgin Mobile prepaid phone, with some crappy Android that came with it (he's 18, and pays for it himself, so he's not going with a contract phone). I figured before I tried to sell it, I'd be a good brother and see if there was any way possible to get the phone to work on Virgin Mobile's network.

So, in a nutshell, is it possible? If so, what would I need to do to make it possible?

Thanks ahead of time! :)

Guess Who

Banned
I have a feeling the iPhone itself uses small amounts if cellular data even when on wifi.

I mean, by all accounts, I understand wifi gets switched off after a whole when it sleeps. And if it does, how does it receive notifications? It must open some port via cell and when it senses data usage if flops wifi back on, at a guess.

I guess I will find out when my dad returns from overseas with his new iPhone, and doesn't get data.

I assure you iOS devices keep getting notifications over WiFi even in sleep mode (or else iPod touches and non-cellular iPads would be kinda broken!).

mrkgoo

I assure you iOS devices keep getting notifications over WiFi even in sleep mode (or else iPod touches and non-cellular iPads would be kinda broken!).

Yeah that makes much more sense.

So why the loss of wifi in sleepmode? I see it bing back on when waking from sleep.

Is it some low power mode?

People keep telling me wifi goes off when it sleeps...

jerry113

Banned

I'm debating whether that possible cellular data use is worth leaving icloud on for the sake of having Find my Iphone also be on. I guess it should be worth it.

ecurbj

It's good that you have the app installed. It actually comes in handy if and when someone loses there iPhone and they need to track it as soon as possible. All they have to do is plug there email address and password in and it will track it on the spot from your iPhone. That's why I have it installed on my iPhone. The app I'm talking about.

RBH

Anyone have a suggestion for a car charger that will fit on my Belkin Grip Candy Sheer case for my iPhone 5?

I currently have a car charger that I used for my iPhone 4, but I've heard that the lightning adapter does not fit on this case.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So is there no way to disable headphone controls? I don't know if water got on them or something but my headphones are making my iPhone go crazy. Skipping songs, stopping them, bringing up Siri randomly. Really annoying.

Qazaq

Banned
I really am very dissatisfied with the battery life. I feel like even the 4S was better.

The 5 can't even handle more than a few hours of MODERATELY heavy usage. Location services on is still a massive drain. Internet is still a big drain.

Often when I'm traveling or navigating, darn right I need to use those things at least frequently. Yet even after one afternoon of using them INFREQUENTLY, you can easily be down to a red bar.

I really am very dissatisfied with the battery life. I feel like even the 4S was better.

The 5 can't even handle more than a few hours of MODERATELY heavy usage. Location services on is still a massive drain. Internet is still a big drain.

Often when I'm traveling or navigating, darn right I need to use those things at least frequently. Yet even after one afternoon of using them INFREQUENTLY, you can easily be down to a red bar.

Hmmm weird, ive been getting almost 6 hours of heavy use. Mostly web browsing and video streaming, and the typical phone calls and messaging. I havnt had a battery issue since I got my 5 a couple weeka ago and easily get through an entire day 5 am to 10 pm without having to put it on the charger.

Qazaq

Banned
Wish I had that. On Sunday, in the course of I would say 4-5 hours of moderately heavy use, it ended up being down to almost nothing. It's very annoying.

Top Bottom