• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

twofold

The Dell Streak was ahead of its time.

galaxynotedellstreak.jpg

After so many people mocked the gigantic size of the Streak, it's amazing that the Note actually turned out to be a success.

Been really busy these past few days but I caught the ad and want the new iphone.
Hopefully one of you guys has Verizon and can answer some questions.

I have an upgrade on my device, where do I pre-order from? Verizon or Apple site?

Will the cost be automatically deducted if I order through either since I plan on renewing
my 2 year contract?

Some people are saying 12am some are saying 3am which is it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

NVM went to verizon wireless website and it's all updated with the stuff.
Went yesterday and none of it was there. Thanks if someone replied pretty fast.

bionic77

Been really busy these past few days but I caught the ad and want the new iphone.
Hopefully one of you guys has Verizon and can answer some questions.

I have an upgrade on my device, where do I pre-order from? Verizon or Apple site?

Will the cost be automatically deducted if I order through either since I plan on renewing
my 2 year contract?

Some people are saying 12am some are saying 3am which is it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

NVM went to verizon wireless website and it's all updated with the stuff.
Went yesterday and none of it was there. Thanks if someone replied pretty fast.
Whatever time it is it will crash and burn like a motherfucker.

I am just going to get up @ 6AM EST and try my luck at that time.

Out of curiosity, which phone? For some reason a slim bezel is a huge selling point for me. I really like the look of the lumia 920, but the excessive amount of space around the windows buttons, and between the screen and borders, really bugs me.

You're not referring to the RAZR are you? There's a lot of empty space on that phone's front.

can't be the RAZR M, i remember hearing the hype and then seeing it and it's barely a smaller bezel than other devices.

Lol. A buddy of mine had one of those. We laughed trying to fit that monster into our pockets. No way.

it's ok, my brother wears skinny jeans too.

LCfiner

The "skinny" jeans knee-jerk reaction is so stale. ugh, I hate reading it every fucking time anyone dares comment on these 5" monster devices.

5" devices do not slip comfortably and discretely into normal sized pockets on regular fit jeans.

noah111

Still Alive
God damn you Apple. I was FINALLY going to get the white version, then you come out with this kick ass slate colored aluminum on the black models. Fucking hell.

WHAT COLOR TO GET.
It's a battle between suave and glamour, classy vs sexy, cologne vs perfume. You win both ways, but exactly how would you like to WIN?

Blackhead

Redarse
The "skinny" jeans knee-jerk reaction is so stale. ugh, I hate reading it every fucking time anyone dares comment on these 5" monster devices.

5" devices do not slip comfortably and discretely into normal sized pockets on regular fit jeans.
And this new jerk reaction to 5" "monsters" is so overdone. The Galaxy Note and similar devices of today are quite thinner than the Dell Streak and can comfortably fit in regular jeans. And I speak from experience so it's annoying seeing many comments claim they'll never try it based on preconceived notions.

Aesthet1c

So hearing you guys talk about the new lightning adapter worries me...

My current iPhone connects to my car stereo through the dock cable, if this functionality is broken with the iPhone 5 I will rage.

LordCanti

Has anyone used InstantSale through Ebay to trade-in a phone? They're offering me $200 for my 16gb IP4, which would pay for the IP5. I realize that I could go through the hassle of selling it myself, but all I'm really looking to do is pay off the IP5, so if it's relatively hassle free, I'll probably just go ahead and do it.

So hearing you guys talk about the new lightning adapter worries me...

My current iPhone connects to my car stereo through the dock cable, if this functionality is broken with the iPhone 5 I will rage.

Does the car stereo take USB input? If so, the lightning cable should terminate in USB still, so I'm not sure there will be a problem.

yogloo

Comfortably yes. Discreetly no.

noah111

Still Alive
Don't want. How big of a device do you want to carry around in your pocket? I mean at what point are these phones going to be need to be put in an extra bag. I don't have super small pockets, but I am not really even a fan of anything bigger than the iPhone 4S.
Dude, unless the the 4S BARELY fits in your pocket height wise, the 5 will be fine in there. In fact, if anything it'll fit more snug as it's a lot thinner. Tbh it's not that significantly longer, physically.

But I think they will be keeping this form factor for another two or three years. They could fit a 4.3" into that same frame later down the line if they wanted to..

Speaking of future iPhones, I really have no clue what they're going to do next, or after that. I feel for Ive right about now..

LCfiner

And this new jerk reaction to 5" "monsters" is so overdone. The Galaxy Note and similar devices of today are quite thinner than the Dell Streak and can comfortably fit in regular jeans. And I speak from experience so it's annoying seeing many comments claim they'll never try it based on preconceived notions.

I think you said at one point that could fit some 7" tablet in your pockets? I can't take your experience as anything universal.

Maybe this is the desired outcome for people using these big devices.

Tobor

Exactly. I'm a big dude. The last thing I would ever wear is skinny jeans. Lol.

Blackhead

Redarse
The iPhone4/4S aren't discrete either in part because they are "bricks" (to quote the esteemed paradoxical_utopia) with rectangular edges instead of the smooth curves most other smartphones have
I think you said at one point that could fit some 7" tablet in your pockets? I can't take your experience as anything universal.
If you look back at that thread I didnt say the 7"tablet was discrete or even particularly comfortable. The question was whether I could get it into my pockets at all. 5" devices are much smaller and comfortable in comparison.
And im not a big guy so I think my experience is pretty universal.

Epix

I've done both, waiting in line is horrible. Sometimes when they ship it you get it a day early.

I'm going to have it shipped this time.

I'm just worried that it won't get shipped to me until like the 4th of October or some shit. Meanwhile, all the people who waited in line for a few hours the morning of the 21st all have their iPhone 5's and their just laughing at me.

They're laughing.

numble

The iPhone4/4S aren't discrete either in part because they are "bricks" (to quote the esteemed paradoxical_utopia) with rectangular edges instead of the smooth curves most other smartphones have

If you look back at that thread I didnt say the 7"tablet was discrete or even particularly comfortable. The question was whether I could get it into my pockets at all. 5" devices are much smaller and comfortable in comparison.
And im not a big guy

I think most people can't even fit a 7" tablet into their pockets undiscretely and uncomfortably.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'll eventually buy one, most likely after my 4 craps out, but LTE differences are such a headache. LTE is still on its baby steps in Brazil but since it's band 7 it kills my plans of buying an unlocked NA iPhone 5. Not looking forward to the higher local price for a compatible model (assuming it will even work with LTE here). Looks like I'll have to wait some months to see how it pans out.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Has anyone used InstantSale through Ebay to trade-in a phone? They're offering me $200 for my 16gb IP4, which would pay for the IP5. I realize that I could go through the hassle of selling it myself, but all I'm really looking to do is pay off the IP5, so if it's relatively hassle free, I'll probably just go ahead and do it.

If I told you I eBayed mine for £310 ($500) three weeks ago, would that change your mind?

Blackhead

Redarse
I think most people can't even fit a 7" tablet into their pockets undiscretely and uncomfortably.
I agree that 7" tablets arent discrete. I believe that most people could fit a 7" tablet, ereader or paperback in their pockets if they wanted to (most don't)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Dell Streak was ahead of its time.

After so many people mocked the gigantic size of the Streak, it's amazing that the Note actually turned out to be a success.
I'm still completely baffled by the success of the Note. It's absolutely HUGE.

I'd rather use a device that large, I suppose, but it's just not pleasant to carry around. Obviously there were people waiting for it, though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If I can fit a Vita into my pocket I think a 4" phone will be fine. My Droid X is 4.3" and it fits with ease. I barely know its there at all.

Dosia

If I am upgrading from a 3gs which uses a larger sim what exactly do I do when I get the 5? Is it pretty straight forward transferring the info during setup through itunes or something?

TheKurgan

Overall I am pretty happy with what iPhone5 has to offer. But because it didn't blow me away it makes the decision to buy it or the Galaxy S3 that much harder. I think I am going to wait until some of the tech sites can do a full test and comparison on the iPhone 5 before I preorder.

reKon

Banned
Overall I am pretty happy with what iPhone5 has to offer. But because it didn't blow me away it makes the decision to buy it or the Galaxy S3 that much harder. I think I am going to wait until some of the tech sites can do a full test and comparison on the iPhone 5 before I preorder.

It will probably destroy in graphics tests and be near the top in other speed tests.

Battery life will still be on top except when compared to the Razr Maxx which will destroy it.

iOS 6 will obviously be a nice improvement, but still not offering a service as complete as google now and the lack of NFC may disappoint

/predictions

Future

Anybody know anything about lte in AT&T vs Verizon? I've had AT&T forever and don't have many of the problems people bitch about, but if lte is much better on one service vs th other I may have to switch.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anybody know anything about lte in AT&T vs Verizon? I've had AT&T forever and don't have many of the problems people bitch about, but if lte is much better on one service vs th other I may have to switch.

Depends on where you are. If you get coverage, I think ATT was faster. But Verizon has better coverage. I haven't looked into it for a while, though, so things could have changed (besides the coverage thing - Verizon advertises that fact nonstop).

LordCanti

The more I look at my immaculate IP4, the less I want to sell it. Maybe I'll just keep it as a backup phone.

Myyyyy precioussssssssssssss

You do it from both the Apple or carrier's website. But what I'm wondering is, which is faster?

Both are likely to be up and down all night.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Bad news for UK GiffGaff people:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/giffgaff-nano-SIM-update/ba-p/5953002

We will be supporting the iPhone 5 as soon as we can, but before we go ahead and offer the nanoSIM, there are a number of technical changes that need to be made. To be able to get the giffgaff nanoSIM launched as soon as we can, we are looking at alternative distribution methods (a bit like we have done in the past with Microgaff). If all goes well, we hope to have the SIM cards ready for distribution in the coming months

Months? Months.

The more I look at my immaculate IP4, the less I want to sell it. Maybe I'll just keep it as a backup phone.

Myyyyy precioussssssssssssss

Both are likely to be up and down all night.

Dont, I did this with the 2G and it died not too long after, the phone becomes a paperweight, replacing the battery is almost impossible.

I should have sold it while I could instead.

I miss the days where electronics worked without a battery if plugged to external power :(

Top Bottom