• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

btkadams

how much do you guys think i can get for my 4s (selling it in the week after i get the iphone 5)? it's 64GB, has another year of applecare, white, and is actually brand new (using it though, obviously). i had it replaced for free with applecare last week.

Zaph

Has anyone tried Apple's Reuse & Recycle program? Or anything similar in the UK?

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 4S but don't want the hassle of dealing with Ebay/scammers etc.

Future

Depends on where you are. If you get coverage, I think ATT was faster. But Verizon has better coverage. I haven't looked into it for a while, though, so things could have changed (besides the coverage thing - Verizon advertises that fact nonstop).

Yeah, I am in Los angeles 90% of the time so the coverage is not as big of a deal to me. If AT&T is pretty good here I will just stick with that.

I want an iphone 5, but I am not eligible to upgrade till March 2013 with AT&T.

What are my options? Cancel pay a termination fee and go with Sprint?
call and talk to AT&T.............

What do I do.

Zaph

do they give you money for the phone?
Yes, the 'estimate' is £270 (4S 64GB no damage) which isn't bad considering I don't have to deal with the hassle of selling it myself.

But I don't really want to go sending it off if they have a reputation of low balling you once they receive the phone.

lupinko

Looks like my iPhone 5 plans are fucked, Canada GSM model won't work with Japan GSM LTE networks since they are on different bands.

Fuck.

LordCanti

I want an iphone 5, but I am not eligible to upgrade till March 2013 with AT&T.

What are my options? Cancel pay a termination fee and go with Sprint?
call and talk to AT&T.............

What do I do.

Are you on a family plan? Someone else on the plan may be eligible for an upgrade (I've upgraded that way before).

If not, I think the termination fee is going to sting. You could always terminate and stay with AT&T, if you like their service. I'm not sure they'll do anything for you if you call and ask, but it never hurts to try.

Yes, the 'estimate' is £270 (4S 64GB no damage) which isn't bad considering I don't have to deal with the hassle of selling it myself.

But I don't really want to go sending it off if they have a reputation of low balling you once they receive the phone.

Damn...Apple is stingy in the US by comparison.

Edit: Today they're offering me $170 for my IP4. I guess they've gone up (or I encountered a glitch before).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
seriously?? that's lame. i thought this was a world phone?

No, there are three models.

GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE** (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE** (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE** (Bands 1, 3, 5)

LordCanti

So, when is it time to fight the good fight? Midnight pacific? I'm up to three IP5's I have to pre-order (for myself and family members). I may not sleep tonight.

CrankyJay

Banned
LOL, I love shit like this

Pro4X.png

Has anyone tried Apple's Reuse & Recycle program? Or anything similar in the UK?

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 4S but don't want the hassle of dealing with Ebay/scammers etc.

Envirofone offered me a lot more for my 4 than Apple did, do I'd check there first.

Are you on a family plan? Someone else on the plan may be eligible for an upgrade (I've upgraded that way before).

If not, I think the termination fee is going to sting. You could always terminate and stay with AT&T, if you like their service. I'm not sure they'll do anything for you if you call and ask, but it never hurts to try.

Damn...Apple is stingy in the US by comparison.

Edit: Today they're offering me $170 for my IP4. I guess they've gone up (or I encountered a glitch before).

:(
No family plan.

So, when is it time to fight the good fight? Midnight pacific? I'm up to three IP5's I have to pre-order (for myself and family members). I may not sleep tonight.

I expect there to be crashed order processes and the store being late to update and uncertainty as to whether or not one's order was successful. This was my experience with the 4S. Ordering 4 was a smooth affair, funny enough.

Circle T

Only in a couple of BMWs since late 2010.

To clarify, the "only a couple" number you mention includes basically ALL iDrive equipped BMWs since 2010. This also includes any Mini models equipped with their Mini Connected Nav/audio system. I don't have any numbers to go by, but I would guess the percentage of BMW/Mini owners who are also iPhone users is pretty substantial. Hard to say how many actually use the iPod out feature, but still, this isn't just some tiny number of vehicles affected.

I'm very torn about switching to Verizon when I get this new phone.

On the one hand my wife gets a nice 20% discount with AT&T because of her job, and I could share a data plan with my Vita now.

On the other, it would be nice to have that large Verizon 4G coverage map, and even larger 3G map for when we go out of town.

But in all honesty, I'm not that unhappy with AT&T. Where I live I rarely have problems with service.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

On the one hand my wife gets a nice 20% discount with AT&T because of her job, and I could share a data plan with my Vita now.

On the other, it would be nice to have that large Verizon 4G coverage map, and even larger 3G map for when we go out of town.

But in all honesty, I'm not that unhappy with AT&T. Where I live I rarely have problems with service.

Did you see Verizon's new data plan? you may want to stay with AT&T

Does anyone know if I'd be able to buy a new iPhone off contract and then have ATT unlock it, I'm a current customer who has been sticking with ATT off contract for about 2 years already. I think that means that as long as I don't extend my contract I'd match all the requirements for an ATT unlock.

numble

To clarify, the "only a couple" number you mention includes basically ALL iDrive equipped BMWs since 2010. This also includes any Mini models equipped with their Mini Connected Nav/audio system. I don't have any numbers to go by, but I would guess the percentage of BMW/Mini owners who are also iPhone users is pretty substantial. Hard to say how many actually use the iPod out feature, but still, this isn't just some tiny number of vehicles affected.

It will fallback to the same type of connection as if you had connected a non-iOS iPod. Are their any extra benefits to iPod Out besides seeing album covers and playing Genius Mixes?

INTERNATIONAL iOS6 feature availability.

https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK ME

STILL NO siri local search for Netherlands so siri is still useless :(

That list is wrong, it states only US for 3D maps. A few months ago when I played with the beta there was at least 1 Canadian city, Montreal, and maybe 2 (also Toronto).

Anyone in the same position as me, debating between a much cheaper pre-owned 4S and the 5? I'm trying to justify the 5 to myself over the 4S, but at double the price, I;m having a hard time. The 4S is still blazing fast, will get all iOS6 features and does more than what I need it to.

Oxn

Did you see Verizon's new data plan? you may want to stay with AT&T

Lol hes trying to get on Verizon when im trying to get off it.

When ip5 comes out im switching from verizon to Sprint.

Verizon rates are crazy.

bonesquad

Dont, I did this with the 2G and it died not too long after, the phone becomes a paperweight, replacing the battery is almost impossible.

I should have sold it while I could instead.

I miss the days where electronics worked without a battery if plugged to external power :(

I kept my 3G when I got my 4 (at first as a backup should the need ever arise), and I still use my 3G almost everyday:) Sure it's just become my alarm clock/running (nike app w/GPS, iPod) device. Works perfectly fine still for that.

I'm not sure what to do about my 4; keep it, give it away, sell it...

rozay

Banned
That list is wrong, it states only US for 3D maps. A few months ago when I played with the beta there was at least 1 Canadian city, Montreal, and maybe 2 (also Toronto).
It doesn't sound like they'll ship with Canada at launch at least until they have a decent amount of 3D maps prepared.

I'm surprised that Australia isn't getting turn by turn at all.

As for you question, dunno. The black one is sexy.

It doesn't sound like they'll ship with Canada at launch at least until they have a decent amount of 3D maps prepared.

I'm surprised that Australia isn't getting turn by turn at all.

I don't see why the hell it wouldn't just ship with whats available. It can be constantly updated server side, not like they'll need a new version for additional maps. And not like they're gonna map all Canadian cities anytime soon.

Lol hes trying to get on Verizon when im trying to get off it.

When ip5 comes out im switching from verizon to Sprint.

Verizon rates are crazy.

Better go to a sprint store and do a few speed tests before you switch unless your area has LTE. Sprint's network is shit. I recently (6 months) went from Sprint to Verizon, one of the best moves ever. $10 more a month but so worth it.

andycapps

No, there are three models.

GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE** (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE** (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE** (Bands 1, 3, 5)

So with this, it looks like Sprint and Verizon may have the same phone since they're both CDMA?

LordCanti

Ok so I talked to an AT&T rep. They offered me $250 for the new phone, plus a $36 upgrade fee. New 2 year deal.

You could sell the old one and pretty much pay for it. I'd say that's a good deal.

Edit: Or wait, you never said you already had an iPhone did you. If that's the case, NM. Still a good deal.

Does anyone know if I'd be able to buy a new iPhone off contract and then have ATT unlock it, I'm a current customer who has been sticking with ATT off contract for about 2 years already. I think that means that as long as I don't extend my contract I'd match all the requirements for an ATT unlock.

Doesn't Apple sell unlocked iPhones directly? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. If you mean "will AT&T sell me an iPhone 5 at a subsidized price, and then unlock it for me" I'd say the answer is probably no. What would their incentive be to subsidize the price of a phone, and then help you take it elsewhere?

I expect there to be crashed order processes and the store being late to update and uncertainty as to whether or not one's order was successful. This was my experience with the 4S. Ordering 4 was a smooth affair, funny enough.

In the US, the IP4 ordering process was most certainly not a smooth affair. I was up until the wee hours of the morning trying to get through, and when I finally did, it was very vague about whether or not I had successfully ordered.

Circle T

It will fallback to the same type of connection as if you had connected a non-iOS iPod. Are their any extra benefits to iPod Out besides seeing album covers and playing Genius Mixes?

Nothing substantial that I can think of. I was more saying that it was a fairly large amount of vehicles, rather than people would be losing tons of functionality.

v1oz

I'm guessing i'm in the minority but I'm very excited about the new iPhone. I didn't bother with the 4S because for me the only improvements were Siri and the new camera. So for iPhone 4 owners like myself this is a very solid upgrade. And I'm just nearing the end of my two year contract and its time to upgrade anyway.

It's maybe not much of an upgrade for 4S owners but for iPhone 4 owners this is great. If I had a 4S I'd wait for the next one.

Oxn

Better go to a sprint store and do a few speed tests before you switch unless your area has LTE. Sprint's network is shit. I recently (6 months) went from Sprint to Verizon, one of the best moves ever. $10 more a month but so worth it.

I know people with Sprint, they say its fine.

ATT on the other hand in NYC is crap.

Verion is excellent but if you try to get feature for feature with Sprint and verizon on a 5line family plan. Expect to pay 100 more a month.

Top Bottom