• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

andycapps

Better go to a sprint store and do a few speed tests before you switch unless your area has LTE. Sprint's network is shit. I recently (6 months) went from Sprint to Verizon, one of the best moves ever. $10 more a month but so worth it.

Or to check this list and see if your city is one of the ones where LTE and Network Vision is going live soon. Network Vision upgrades should increase their network speeds and capacity significantly. I'm still trying to figure out when they're doing that here in Columbus, OH. Thankfully I literally have a tower in my neighborhood and get excellent 3G speeds.

cjelly said:

Cool.

Sprint's network should also support HD voice in areas where Network Vision and LTE are turned on.

dyls

I have to say, I'm really impressed that AT&T is keeping the unlimited plans intact. I'm totally happy with 5GB for $30, especially with throttling rather than fees for going over.

Now I just hope that their LTE service in LA is good.

So what's the consensus on best site to sell an iPhone 4 back to? Envirofone has the best price but it looks like UK only.

LCfiner

23/24 services in Canada? FUCK YEAH!! Siri is useful again!

By the way, it says that 3D Buildings are not in Canada. It doesn't make sense since I saw "CN Tower" in the presentation.

3am EST.

depends on the city. Most of montreal is in 3D. downtown toronto is in 3D. but a lot of the suburbs are not.

I was using the siri and turn by turn stuff today. it's kinda cool to talk to my phone while driving and say "take me to the closest movie theatre" and it works and does it.

I don't know if their restaurant listings are as extensive as I would like but the ability to use speech to get new directions while driving is a benefit over using the other turn by turn apps in the app store.

Sullichin

I have to say, I'm really impressed that AT&T is keeping the unlimited plans intact. I'm totally happy with 5GB for $30.

Now I just hope that their LTE service in LA is good.

So what's the consensus on best site to sell an iPhone 4 back to? Envirofone has the best price but it looks like UK only.

If i'm on an unlimited 3G plan now, there's no way for me to get unlimited LTE right? 5GB/$30 should be fine though.

Att.com vs apple.com - don't know which one will be a bigger shitstorm trying to pre order two phones tomorrow.

border

Does anyone know if I'd be able to buy a new iPhone off contract and then have ATT unlock it, I'm a current customer who has been sticking with ATT off contract for about 2 years already. I think that means that as long as I don't extend my contract I'd match all the requirements for an ATT unlock.

Just buy an unlocked model from Apple. If you're not on a contract with AT&T you're probably paying way way more than you should be. Look into their prepaid service unless you're trying to continue a grandfathered unlimited data plan or something.

Dany

Banned
23/24 services in Canada? FUCK YEAH!! Siri is useful again!

By the way, it says that 3D Buildings are not in Canada. It doesn't make sense since I saw "CN Tower" in the presentation.

3am EST.

If I wake up around 7 est, will I still have a change grabbing it day one? I stay up for that time but...would rather not, lol

yami4ct

Man, AT&T keeping unlimited plans is making things tough for me. If I switched to Verizon, I'd probably get fewer dropped texts and calls, a pretty big problem with AT&T, but I'd lose unlimited. I would also get LTE coverage in my area, another feature AT&T can't provide me. My brain's telling me to switch, but the fact that there's no going back if I do makes things a bit more difficult.

Oxn

Man, AT&T keeping unlimited plans is making things tough for me. If I switched to Verizon, I'd probably get fewer dropped texts and calls, a pretty big problem with AT&T, but I'd lose unlimited. I would also get LTE coverage in my area, another feature AT&T can't provide me. My brain's telling me to switch, but the fact that there's no going back if I do makes things a bit more difficult.

Make the switch to Sprint like I am, win-win

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So Verizon isn't doing anything for unlimited people right? That sucks. If I would have gotten a phone 2 months ago I'd be grandfathered in. Now I am not, but I want an iPhone 5. Bah.

Retina Macbook Pro: "It's too cutting-edge, you don't need retina display because it's not yet widely-adopted enough, and you'll want to keep your legacy ports and optical drive."

iPhone 5: "It's not cutting-edge enough, where are the not-widely-adopted-enough technologies like NFC and wireless charging?"

yami4ct

Make the switch to Sprint like I am, win-win

Sprint offers no 4G coverage in my area and from my experience, their 3G is also slower than AT&T (agin, speaking only about where I live). With no hope of 4G coverage from them soon, they don't really offer a compelling reason for me to pick them over one of the other 2.

andycapps

Sprint offers no 4G coverage in my area and from my experience, their 3G is also slower than AT&T (agin, speaking only about where I live). With no hope of 4G coverage from them soon, they don't really offer a compelling reason for me to pick them over one of the other 2.

Where are you located? You could also try them for the 30 days and if you don't like the speeds, take it back. We switched from AT&T and love it. Combined with a much smaller bill and coverage that's at least as good, I'm a happy man.

Just buy an unlocked model from Apple. If you're not on a contract with AT&T you're probably paying way way more than you should be. Look into their prepaid service unless you're trying to continue a grandfathered unlimited data plan or something.

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan so that's why I've stuck with them, and I would buy an unlocked phone from Apple but I'm trying to get a new phone before I go on a month long trip to Asia in about a month and I have a feeling it's going to be like last time where it'll be a month before the sell such a device in the US.

sonitii

In a few weeks, about how much will a used iPhone 4S 16GB Factory Unlocked device go for online? I'm trying to figure out a price range.

btkadams

ugh so preorders start at 1am for me. i've been up that late the past few nights and i am so incredibly sleep deprived. maybe i will have a nap when i get home from work. if they have 45 minutes of issues like last year, i am going to be pissed lol.

were people that preordered in the first hour all in the first shipment last year? i bought at a telus store, so i haven't preordered through apple before.

Yeah Montreal and Toronto are there.
even calgary has 3d maps, as useless as the feature is.

ugh so preorders start at 1am for me. i've been up that late the past few nights and i am so incredibly sleep deprived. maybe i will have a nap when i get home from work. if they have 45 minutes of issues like last year, i am going to be pissed lol.

were people that preordered in the first hour all in the first shipment last year? i bought at a telus store, so i haven't preordered through apple before.

even calgary has 3d maps, as useless as the feature is.

I really do hate midnight launches/preorders. It's a pain for everyone, especially us east coasters.

The Chef

After looking at the 4G LTE map for Verison it looks like I will definitely be switching over from AT&T. Couple questions though, since I've been with AT&T since Moses was a boy but Im assuming you can keep your phone number right? And can I setup a new Verison account at the Apple store or should I do that before buying the 5 in store?

yami4ct

After looking at the 4G LTE map for Verison it looks like I will definitely be switching over from AT&T. Couple questions though, since I've been with AT&T since Moses was a boy but Im assuming you can keep your phone number right? And can I setup a new Verison account at the Apple store or should I do that before buying the 5 in store?

Yup. You can transfer your number to any other phone company. I think US cell carriers are legally required to do that, if I'm not mistaken. They can also handle any sort of sign up process, including number transfers, at the Apple Store.

Pein

Banned
I know people with Sprint, they say its fine.

ATT on the other hand in NYC is crap.

Verion is excellent but if you try to get feature for feature with Sprint and verizon on a 5line family plan. Expect to pay 100 more a month.

My cousins sprint service is laughably slow here in NYC, my ATT LTE on the other hand is blazing quick.

The Chef

Yup. You can transfer your number to any other phone company. I think US cell carriers are legally required to do that, if I'm not mistaken. They can also handle any sort of sign up process, including number transfers, at the Apple Store.

Rockin, thanks!

question, so i am planning on upgrading to the 5 from my 3GS on AT&T. would the apple store be the place to go tomorrow to preorder or the local AT&T branch, or somewhere else even?

Soybean

I'm struggling with the AT&T/Verizon dilemma too. It'd be great to keep my AT&T unlimited data, but I live in a rural area that may not see AT&T LTE for years. Verizon, on the other hand, already has LTE here. Even in the non-LTE areas their 3G coverage is superior to AT&T's.

Plus my wife is already on Verizon. We should probably merge our accounts anyway.

When do they charge you for preorders? Right away or when it ships?

I'm pretty sure it's when it ships. Edit: They may actually put a hold on your card right away to make sure you can afford it but I was pretty sure they charged when it ships, or close to it at least.

Might end up just setting my alarm for 2:00am CST and then going back to bed once I am ordered.

That's pretty much what I plan on doing except I also have the Store app set up with express checkout so hopefully that'll help speed things up.

Top Bottom