• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Plasmid

So i have an iphone 4, a little worn, non original screen that has 3-4 hairline cracks in it, but the phone works great.

I sold a 3gs with no wifi capability, broken vibration function and a fuckton of scratches for $75 on ebay within 2 minutes of posting, how much do you think my i4 would go for?

and yes i know it might be a little off to sell :lol

Husker86

I'm curious what these different models for different LTE bands are going to do to resale pricing. The 4S was unique in that it could be unlocked by CDMA carriers and used anywhere. I suppose it's still the same with the 5 if LTE is ignored, but that won't be ignored for long as it becomes more ubiquitous on carriers other than Verizon.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That being said, don't blame me if you don't get one on launch.

You're making me re-think my decision. :p

I have the option of ordering through Apple's site, Verizon's site, and Best Buy's site. One of them has to have day 1 phones 4 hours after go-live I'd assume.

Maybe I'll just wake up, order, and go back to bed.

Korez

Hi guys I have a question concerning the integration of Facebook on iOS.

In previous beta of iOS 6, I had noticed a problem with sharing photos of camera roll. What is it? Well when you publish a photo from there and you want to display on your computer, here's how the picture appears.

NLncf.jpg

In short, the image is resized, but if I use the official Facebook app, here is how it looks.

http://i.imgur.com/2xXAS.jpg

What's the problem? Thanks for the comments and forgive my English. :)

I preordered my 4s at around 7pm est on Friday and got it launch day.

Just order it when you get up while making coffee. It's usually the easiest from apple site.

tmdorsey

Where are you located? You could also try them for the 30 days and if you don't like the speeds, take it back. We switched from AT&T and love it. Combined with a much smaller bill and coverage that's at least as good, I'm a happy man.

andy, where are you located? I'm in Atlanta and thinking about switching to Sprint from AT&T. Also can you do talk and surf and the same time or no?

coldfoot

Banned
Screw Sprint, they don't have LTE in the NYC area. Looks like I'm going with Verizon. Their plans are expensive for a single person, but adding another line costs only $40 more, so with 2 people, it's quite managable. I'm getting the $110 4GB shared everything plan + $40 for another line = $150, minus %17 employee discount = $124.5 + tax. That's not bad for 2 lines with 2GB each (in reality, it'll be 3 to me and 1 to her lol). And I won't get any dropped calls + good LTE speeds.

Also, when travelling in Europe, you can pop in a sim card and talk over there at no extra cost unlike an AT&T phone. It won't work with ATT/T-mobile sim cards, but will work with any non-US sim. But I wouldn't want to use any other network than Verizon in the US anyway.

Say what? The unsubsidized versions of the AT&T 4S are unlocked? As in, can be used on T-mobile?

All I know is that I went into an Apple store a few days after launch and bought an unsubsidized ATT 4S and made sure that the employee marked the purchase as "device only" so I wouldn't get a plan and it came unlocked. I even got the unlocked message on iTunes. Theres some thread on the MacRumors forums that details how other people did it too.

Ashhong

All I know is that I went into an Apple store a few days after launch and bought an unsubsidized ATT 4S and made sure that the employee marked the purchase as "device only" so I wouldn't get a plan and it came unlocked. I even got the unlocked message on iTunes. Theres some thread on the MacRumors forums that details how other people did it too.

That is "activated" not "unlocked".

Oxn

Screw Sprint, they don't have LTE in the NYC area. Looks like I'm going with Verizon. Their plans are expensive for a single person, but adding another line costs only $40 more, so with 2 people, it's quite managable. I'm getting the $110 4GB shared everything plan + $40 for another line = $150, minus %17 employee discount = $124.5 + tax. That's not bad for 2 lines with 2GB each (in reality, it'll be 3 to me and 1 to her lol). And I won't get any dropped calls + good LTE speeds.

Also, when travelling in Europe, you can pop in a sim card and talk over there at no extra cost unlike an AT&T phone. It won't work with ATT/T-mobile sim cards, but will work with any non-US sim. But I wouldn't want to use any other network than Verizon in the US anyway.

I guess you never seen the Verizon tax before.

Expect a big suprise.

andycapps

andy, where are you located? I'm in Atlanta and thinking about switching to Sprint from AT&T. Also can you do talk and surf and the same time or no?

I'm in Columbus, OH. Most of the city has pretty good coverage. You can check your coverage here. They should already have LTE in Atlanta. Lucky. I just emailed them to see when we're getting it here, but I doubt they'll give me much of a response. Network Vision including LTE coverage is supposed to be completed nationwide by end of 2013. I expect that Atlanta probably has decent LTE coverage now that it's live, but complete saturation will probably take a few more months.

Actually, PC Mag did a test in June in Atlanta and said that if it holds up, it'll rival AT&T and Verizon. They may not hit the peak speeds that AT&T will, but Sprint is trying to put more effort this time around into network capacity and stability. Time will tell.

Re: your question on if you can surf and talk at the same time.. On LTE coverage, yes. On regular ass CDMA 3G coverage? No. Same as Verizon, I believe.

EH?! What the...........do you need an ATT account to buy it at the store?

Nope, but you can buy unlocked 4S in stores anyways. This was only useful when the 4S wasn't available unlocked for a month and there's no guarantees that the same thing will work with the 5.

SRTtoZ

Man, I hate Otter Box cases with a passion lol.

"Ottter Box: Making sleek iPhones look like ""my first smartphone"" kid toys!"

Same. Ive used a white bumper on my Iphone4 with a Zagg full invisible shield and my phone is STILL mint. When I buy a 5 (eventually), ill resell this one for as much or more than a new 5 since it looks BRAND new. Otterboxes ruin the look of the phone IMO, and ive dropped mine a million times.

tmdorsey

I'm in Columbus, OH. Most of the city has pretty good coverage. You can check your coverage here. They should already have LTE in Atlanta. Lucky. I just emailed them to see when we're getting it here, but I doubt they'll give me much of a response. Network Vision including LTE coverage is supposed to be completed nationwide by end of 2013. I expect that Atlanta probably has decent LTE coverage now that it's live, but complete saturation will probably take a few more months.

Actually, PC Mag did a test in June in Atlanta and said that if it holds up, it'll rival AT&T and Verizon. They may not hit the peak speeds that AT&T will, but Sprint is trying to put more effort this time around into network capacity and stability. Time will tell.

Re: your question on if you can surf and talk at the same time.. On LTE coverage, yes. On regular ass CDMA 3G coverage? No. Same as Verizon, I believe.

Ah ok. It's just a matter of cost then for me, as my AT&T coverage is pretty good now. I'm trying to see if will be cheaper for me and wife on Sprint rather than AT&T.

Another question, does anybody know if new activation can be done through Apple's website or will have I have to pre-order at Sprint's website?

LordCanti

So I guess I will preorder at 12:01, and sell my 4 as soon as I get my new phone. Do I have to throw my 4 sim card into the 5?

IIRC the iPhone 5 takes a smaller sim card than the IP4. I'm not quite sure if we'll have to go into an AT&T store to get the new sim card, or if they send it with the phone.

Many people are asking if it is better to order through apple or through their wireless carrier. I would also like to know this!!!!! Specifically i have verizon in atlanta if that helps someone reply.

tmdorsey

Many people are asking if it is better to order through apple or through their wireless carrier. I would also like to know this!!!!! Specifically i have verizon in atlanta if that helps someone reply.

Go with Apple if you aren't switching carriers. You almost guaranteed to get it on launch day.

Top Bottom