• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

andycapps

Ah ok. It's just a matter of cost then for me, as my AT&T coverage is pretty good now. I'm trying to see if will be cheaper for me and wife on Sprint rather than AT&T.

Another question, does anybody know if new activation can be done through Apple's website or will have I have to pre-order at Sprint's website?

Your cost should be lower with Sprint than with AT&T. You should be able to find a Sprint discount code online that will bring it down. My discount is around 25%. Also, keep in mind that Sprint is truly unlimited. I really envy that you have LTE there now.

shwimpy

So I'm on Verizon/grandfathered unlimited. If I get the phone at the subsidized price, which data plan do I get changed into?

What's the deal with shipping and shipping addresses? It's been a while since I got the iPhone 4.

Does it HAVE to be shipped to my billing address or can I re-route it to my office?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
realistically, wasnt the bumper for the antenna issue?

Most likely, but if I am going to use any case I like the bumper look the best. Offers some protection too.

64GB Black for me. I'd like to offload my music onto it. :p

Also, first iPhone. Does Apple make car docks? Something to hold it when using GPS and charge it?

Most likely, but if I am going to use any case I like the bumper look the best. Offers some protection too.

64GB Black for me. I'd like to offload my music onto it. :p

Also, first iPhone. Does Apple make car docks? Something to hold it when using GPS and charge it?

No, probably will need to go third party and wait a bit seeing as all older accessories are obsolete now.

Fjolle

Is it true that the Lightning Dock Port which is being sold for 29.99 by Apple does not support Audio and Video out?

It doesn't support the video out that was used in the iPod Photo/video. It doesn't support the "iPod out" that was used in a couple of BMWs.

It does support audio out.

btkadams

It doesn't support the video out that was used in the iPod Photo/video. It doesn't support the "iPod out" that was used in a couple of BMWs.

what exactly is ipod out? i have a system in my car that connects to my phone through the current/old port to let me control the music with my car buttons. will that stuff be completely non-functional now? will i not even get sound out through that?

Flo_Evans

I think the bigger issue is that you need an adapter with a DAC in it to get line out now.

This could be a good thing, you can get a really nice DAC, but it is kind of a pain/expensive where before you could get a really cheap 30 pin to 1/8" audio cable.

what exactly is ipod out? i have a system in my car that connects to my phone through the current/old port to let me control the music with my car buttons. will that stuff be completely non-functional now? will i not even get sound out through that?

you should be able to with the adapter dongle.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Where should I sell my 4 to get the best price? Amazon is offering $212 for my 32gig. Might just do that to avoid all the fees . potentially getting scammed.

Alright I will give it a shot. I just want a black 16GB CDMA.

unless they changed it, all you need is your provider account info, your apple id info, click a few radio buttons and you are done (maybe credit card as well? Don't remember if they just bill you, or not, or use the card attached to your apple ID).

Branson

Couple of questions.

1: if I order online at apple does the phone get sent to me or the AT&T store?

2: unlimited is still grandfathered right?

3: I keep my number with the upgrade correct?

sangreal

I might be willing to pay full price for a new phone to keep unlimited 4g, but does anyone know what happens to your unlimited data line if another limited line on the same (business) plan is upgraded? Verizon, of course

If I preorder it from Apple do I have to ship it to my house, or can I pick it up at the Apple store that day?

Because honestly with all the horror stories that go around when iPhones launch about the postal workers stealing them and shit I'd much rather just walk to the store and buy one instead of wait around at my house all day hoping it actually arrives.

Hell even if that wasn't an issue I'd still rather go to the store to pick it up.

Oxn

What does that mean? Prices are up on their website and verizon isn't bad for 2 people. Individual plans are expensive for sure.

It means that my verizon bill before any fees or tax is tacked on is 135. But after tax and fees its close to 180.

Thats the verizon tax.

Flo_Evans

I might be willing to pay full price for a new phone to keep unlimited 4g, but does anyone know what happens to your unlimited data line if another limited line on the same (business) plan is upgraded? Verizon, of course

IDK. On at&t my bro had to give up unlimited to get tethering... left my unlimited intact.

Dunno if verizon is the same.

Fjolle

I think the bigger issue is that you need an adapter with a DAC in it to get line out now.

This could be a good thing, you can get a really nice DAC, but it is kind of a pain/expensive where before you could get a really cheap 30 pin to 1/8" audio cable.

Hmm. Do you have a source for that? By my count you should get both a line out and a line in from the thunder cable?

If I preorder it from Apple do I have to ship it to my house, or can I pick it up at the Apple store that day?

Because honestly with all the horror stories that go around when iPhones launch about the postal workers stealing them and shit I'd much rather just walk to the store and buy one instead of wait around at my house all day hoping it actually arrives.

Hell even if that wasn't an issue I'd still rather go to the store to pick it up.

couldn't before (i think?).

LordCanti

Where should I sell my 4 to get the best price? Amazon is offering $212 for my 32gig. Might just do that to avoid all the fees . potentially getting scammed.

Ebay's trade-in system offered me $200 for my 16gb, so I'd imagine they'd give you more than $212 for a 32gb.

They all seem to check each others prices and keep from price warring with each other. Everywhere I checked was within 20% +/-.

Flo_Evans

The best bet IMHO is an AT&T or verizon store. My mail doesn't come till late in the afternoon (waiting for ipad was a bitch) and there is virtually no line at the non-apple phone stores.

Oxn

Their new plans start at 1GB. Unless there is some special deal for us unlimited folk.

Can't believe I'm even considering giving up my unlimited. Why do I love tech so much?

Wait I thought they introduced the share everything plan but the old family plan still remains right?

Bcause with the old family plan which i believe still exist (not too sure) then if you want to add 2GB its 30bucks.

Flo_Evans

Hmm. Do you have a source for that? By my count you should get both a line out and a line in from the thunder cable?

From what I understand the lightning cable is purely digital. It has no analog out, so if you want a clean line level (non-headphone) you need a DAC in the cable/dongle.

Clipse

What does that mean? Prices are up on their website and verizon isn't bad for 2 people. Individual plans are expensive for sure.
Probably referring to taxes and fees? Was talking to a VZW rep last night and he pretty much said to add 12% (I'm in NJ if that makes a difference) of the base bill and that would generally be how much I'd be paying monthly.

Example in my case: $190 before taxes & fees + $22.80 (12% of base bill) = $212.80 a month

sangreal

IDK. On at&t my bro had to give up unlimited to get tethering... left my unlimited intact.

Dunno if verizon is the same.

I guess I will have to deal with a Verizon rep to figure it out. If that is the case, I will just get an iphone subsidized on a line that already has limited data and activate it on my unlimited line

ChanHuk

Banned
I have to say, I'm really impressed that AT&T is keeping the unlimited plans intact. I'm totally happy with 5GB for $30, especially with throttling rather than fees for going over.

Now I just hope that their LTE service in LA is good.

So what's the consensus on best site to sell an iPhone 4 back to? Envirofone has the best price but it looks like UK only.

LTE in OC/LA has been great. Mainly because nobody's on it lol. I'm probably gonna preorder through AT&T. Last time I did that, they sent me my iPhone 4 a day early.

Husker86

Wait I thought they introduced the share everything plan but the old family plan still remains right?

Bcause with the old family plan which i believe still exist (not too sure) then if you want to add 2GB its 30bucks.

Nope. only AT&T kept their old individual option when they added share everything. Verizon is Share Everything or gtfo.

andycapps

Probably referring to taxes and fees? Was talking to a VZW rep last night and he pretty much said to add 12% (I'm in NJ if that makes a difference) of the base bill and that would generally be how much I'd be paying monthly.

Example in my case: $190 before taxes & fees + $22.80 (12% of base bill) = $212.80 a month

Holy shit. I think I'm at $140ish with taxes for Sprint.

This may be the first iPhone I don't get Day 1. WTF?

vdhBc.png

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Bit bummed that as a grandfathered in unlimited plan user I won't fucking get Facetime over LTE. So stupid. Let me use it and if I get throttled because of going over the limit so be it.

Ah well. Wonder if I would save money with a shared data plan...

Bit bummed that as a grandfathered in unlimited plan user I won't fucking get Facetime over LTE. So stupid. Let me use it and if I get throttled because of going over the limit so be it.

Has AT&T announced the extra charge for that or just flat out denied usage?

sangreal

This may be the first iPhone I don't get Day 1. WTF?

vdhBc.png

better than me:
Account type not supported.
We're sorry. Your existing rate plan is not an eligible Verizon Wireless iPhone plan. You can proceed by activating a new Verizon Wireless account now or visit a Verizon Wireless store to keep your current phone number.

I get this even on a line with an iPhone 4S

Flo_Evans

hmm where did you see this?

Top Bottom