• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

LordCanti

This may be the first iPhone I don't get Day 1. WTF?

vdhBc.png

Which carrier? Someone earlier in the thread was offered a discount to $250 (plus a $40 or so upgrade fee) by AT&T. It's worth a try with whatever carrier you use.

I got the 4S at launch a year ago and started my Verizon contract with that, so that's how far I am in.

I guess I can probably get around $250-300 for my 4S, bringing down the real price of the 5, but man, that's harsh.

numble

From what I understand the lightning cable is purely digital. It has no analog out, so if you want a clean line level (non-headphone) you need a DAC in the cable/dongle.
The adapter most likely has a DAC. The adapter will also be used to connect iPod Nanos to accessories, remember.

If there was no analog audio out, I think they would've mentioned it. They've mentioned no video out.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I got the 4S at launch a year ago and started my Verizon contract with that, so that's how far I am in.

I guess I can probably get around $250-300 for my 4S, bringing down the real price of the 5, but man, that's harsh.
I'm in the same boat. I suppose this is the hangover after our 4S enthusiasm one year ago...

Looks like I'm going to be going to 4g on Verizon now. So I see I'm going to lose my unlimited plan and get 2gb a month. That's pitifully low. I'm going to go over that effortlessly.

Do I get throttled past 2gb or do I get charged more?

andycapps

Just a quick glance at completed listings on ebay for those shows $300-375. That price will probably come down some. Definitely harsh prices. Maybe if you talk to someone at VZW they can knock something off the price.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Has AT&T announced the extra charge for that or just flat out denied usage?

Only for Mobile Share data plans.

On AT&T. :\

hmm where did you see this?

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/13...-cellular-on-iphone-5-iphone-4s-and-new-ipad/

AT&T said something similar, confirming today that FaceTime over Cellular would work on all supported devices, so long as the customer has a new Mobile Share data plan.

Weenerz

Banned

That is how every smartphone is from almost every carrier. Buy out of contract, you have to pay big.

Doodis

Bit bummed that as a grandfathered in unlimited plan user I won't fucking get Facetime over LTE. So stupid. Let me use it and if I get throttled because of going over the limit so be it.

Ah well. Wonder if I would save money with a shared data plan...

Feeling the same frustration. I looked into shared plans, and my bill would be $20 more a month to get a plan that's equivalent to my family's current data usage.

Einbroch

Banned
That's terrifying.

I know. Fortunately I'm part of a family pack with two smartphone users who aren't heavy internet users outside of email/occasional surfing.

Our bill is actually going to go down ($258 to $240) a month for five phones, three being smartphones. Still not happy, but the cell coverage and 4G can't be beat.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Take it on the chin this year, Gary, and you'll be on the superior numbered upgrade path going forward. :)

Tobor

Why is it up to Apple to kill 3G? Because they're the standard setter?

They were the last major phone manufacturer who hadn't yet announced an LTE phone. Now, they have, which means there is no one left making flagship 3G phones.

It's completely innocuous and fair to call the iPhone 5 the "death knell".

coldfoot

Banned
It means that my verizon bill before any fees or tax is tacked on is 135. But after tax and fees its close to 180.

Thats the verizon tax.
That depends on where you live, doesn't it?

2011 Combined Federal-State-Local Rate

Oregon 6.86%
Nevada 7.13%
Idaho 7.25%
Montana 11.08%
West Virginia 11.28%
Delaware 11.30%
Louisiana 11.33%
Virginia 11.61%
Alaska 11.74%
Connecticut 12.01%
Maine 12.21%
Michigan 12.32%
Alabama 12.50%
Hawaii 12.80%
Massachusetts 12.86%
Iowa 12.96%
Wyoming 12.99%
Ohio 13.00%
New Hampshire 13.23%
Wisconsin 13.39%
Vermont 13.55%
Georgia 13.62%
New Jersey 13.92%
Mississippi 14.13%
Minnesota 14.43%
North Carolina 14.48%
South Carolina 14.57%
Indiana 14.89%
Colorado 15.45%
Kentucky 15.47%
New Mexico 15.57%
California 15.72%
North Dakota 15.73%
Oklahoma 15.79%
Arkansas 16.12%
Tennessee 16.63%
Arizona 17.02%
South Dakota 17.07%
Utah 17.21%
Maryland 17.28%
Texas 17.48%
Kansas 18.39%
Pennsylvania 19.13%
Missouri 19.28%
Rhode Island 19.67%
Illinois 20.90%
Florida 21.62%
New York 22.83%
Washington 23.00%
Nebraska 23.69%
I have property in VA, and used to live there, so I still have that area code in my number. I'll give that address and switch to paperless statements.

twofold

Reading around, it seems that the iPhone won't have support for the UK LTE frequencies of 800mhz and 2400mhz which o2, vodafone etc. are slated to use. I wonder how much of a problem this will be in the future.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah. It was never really going to happen, but I should have just skipped the 4S.
Maybe you should skip the 5? We both know there's gonna be a 5S in one year's time, and if the last year was anything to go by, it'll fly by.

I think I'd rather buy on the "tock" iteration rather than the "tick" massive revision. Same device, but improved.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Reading around, it seems that the iPhone won't have support for the UK LTE frequencies of 800mhz and 2400mhz which o2, vodafone etc. are slated to use. I wonder how much of a problem this will be in the future.

You make it sound like they are launching 4G imminently. They don't even have the frequencies yet.

Even EE are only going to have 4G in 16 cities.

It'll be another couple of years before any of the networks have an acceptable coverage map of 4G services.

5amshift

Banned
I have been off contract for a few months now so the $199 16GB is mine. Excited to pre-order it tomorrow, then sell off my iPhone 4 with the hope of making my money back for the iPhone 5 plus a bit more. Will pre-orders start 8am tomorrow? I'm not sure if the question was answered.

Dragnet

So is there any word on when we can pre-order with carriers in the UK, I assume pre-orders are just through the Apple store tomorrow? And any word on contract prices? I've only found 02s so far, they're not listing handset prices yet though :/

LordCanti

I have been off contract for a few months now so the $199 16GB is mine. Excited to pre-order it tomorrow, then sell off my iPhone 4 with the hope of making my money back for the iPhone 5 plus a bit more. Will pre-orders start 8am tomorrow? I'm not sure if the question was answered.

Midnight pacific tonight (well, tomorrow technically, you get the idea).

Kaladin

Perfect timing. My Droid Incredible started acting up a couple of nights ago. The speaker went out and was not responsive to anything I tried including rebooting. It came back yesterday, with no rhyme or reason because I did nothing to effect it's return. I've been eligible for an upgrade with Verizon since August though.....I think it's time I acted on that. Goodbye Droid, I'm going back to iOS.

Double D

I'm sure this has been discussed so I apologize in advance, but can someone explain or link me to what is going on with Verizon and moving to 4G? I've currently got unlimited data with my 4S, and I really don't want to lose that.

twofold

You make it sound like they are launching 4G imminently. They don't even have the frequencies yet.

Even EE are only going to have 4G in 16 cities.

It'll be another couple of years before any of the networks have an acceptable coverage map of 4G services.

Yeah, you're right. We're so behind when it comes to LTE.. It's pathetic.

Top Bottom