• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Do I have to add iPhone data plan or just add a regular ass family line?

Pretty sure you have to add iPhone data if you want the subsidized price. If your plan is to buy one at the subsidized price and then get rid of the plan it'll probably cost you the price of the phone + one month of the plan + the $200 ETO fee.

I got the 4S at launch a year ago and started my Verizon contract with that, so that's how far I am in.

I guess I can probably get around $250-300 for my 4S, bringing down the real price of the 5, but man, that's harsh.
I've been able to sweet talk Verizon into getting me an early upgrade before. I'm not saying it's a guarantee they'll do it, but it's definitely possible.

butimnotarapper

Neo Member
Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm contemplating between the S3, Lumia, and iPhone 5. Probably more between the S3 and iPhone. I've heard good things about the S3, and I like how you can customize the interface on droids:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405090

The iPhone looks a lot sexier on the outside (S3 seems a little too big), and it seems more reliable to me.

What do you guys think?

The Chef

So there is not preordering and pick-up in the Apple store is there? Its either get it in the mail or camp outside the store on the 21st?

Double D

So my aunt is going to let me use her upgrade (family business with a bunch of phones) and I was going to give her my 4S but she actively doesn't want it. She would prefer to keep her cheesy flip phone. Whatever. Problem is the upgrade isn't available on her line until the 16th. I'm hoping to go black 64Gb so hopefully they are still available.

Hrm, that really sucks. I'm going to miss Facetime over 3G which I use now. I wonder if I just keep using the jailbreak method if AT&T can do anything about it?

I plan on continuing to use it via Jailbreak, I guess they could threaten to change our plans over to a new limited data plan like they've been doing with people who tether but I'm not too worried about it.

Zutroy

What are others in UK-gaf plans for launch?

Now that giffgaff have said it'll be months before they get nano sim, I'm not sure if I should go back to O2, or maybe Three.

Dragnet

Now that giffgaff have said it'll be months before they get nano sim, I'm not sure if I should go back to O2, or maybe Three.

I'm on Vodafone at the moment, I heard their 3G signal was shite in my area (using a nokia 3510i atm, haters gonna hate) so I fancy a change. Three or Orange I'm thinking, whoever has the best deal.

Anyone have idea on when UK pre-orders with carriers are going up?

I'm on Orange at the moment and plan to stick with it for the LTE, whenever it arrives.

Caelestis

So I am a bit confused how it all works if I buy the phone from apple's online store as I never done it before. I currently have two lines with Verizon on family plan. If I order from there and they send me the phone, does a new contract comes in effect right away? Or do I need to go to the verizon store to activate it? Can I upgrade both phones through them? @.@

multivac

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm having a tough time finding much information online and I thought I'd try GAF before I hit customer service at Apple/Verizon/etc.

I'm off-contract at Sprint but looking to switch to Verizon since they have LTE in my area and I'm pretty tired of Sprint's data speed (though I'll miss the unlimited usage). For the preorders starting tonight I'll likely try Apple's website. My question is when I sign up for a new two-year contract with Verizon can I order two iPhone 5s in the same order? If not, is it even possible to open a family plan contract with only one phone attached, then make another order to add the second phone?

Maybe someone has been through this situation and can share their experience.

PaulLFC

Really don't know what to do to be honest. Want to get the phone but I a) don't want a 2 year contract and b) I'm not sure whether I can justify £600 unlocked (I'm guessing 32GB is recommended with retina apps?)

On the other hand, I know those prices won't get any cheaper until the new one comes out, by which time I'll want that one instead if I haven't already bought this, and I would get daily use out of it for that £600.

I'll probably end up giving in and buying it once preorders go up, but right now I can't make my mind up.

noah111

Still Alive
Well shit, how convenient.

304953_4620676234477_789543454_n.jpg

Not mine, but at least now i'll probably be getting my hands on an iPhone 5 now in an impressions capacity. :p

Dany

Banned
If I order it tomorrow morning, how likely am I get get it day of release?

haha, oh wow that sucks, :p i've dropped my phone plenty on hardwood, tiled floor and it has barely cracked.

sangreal

I get that and am fine with that, but read the article I posted. Hope it works.

As always, don't get your info from blogs. Follow through to the original source (sometimes 10 or so links deep these days). It so happens to have been updated:

Stuff has just had a chat with Apple about the steep price of that Lightning connector and it’s been revealed to us why. As you may have noticed the Lightning port is purely digital, but the old 30-pin connection in your car or on your speaker dock uses an analogue signal. Apple’s Lightning to 30-pin Adapter has its own DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter) allowing the iPhone 5's digital signal to be understood by your analogue dock – which isn’t a cheap or simple piece of kit.

DJ88

After hearing AT&T will let me keep unlimited data and upgrade it to LTE, I've gotten real excited to switch out my 4. There's not a lot of differences, but I love the look of the black so much.

Kaladin

Question: If I buy an iphone 5 from the Apple store, will I be charged Verizon's upgrade fee?

Also: Is that upgrade fee charged with the price of the phone or on the next monthly bill?

5amshift

Banned
After hearing AT&T will let me keep unlimited data and upgrade it to LTE, I've gotten real excited to switch out my 4. There's not a lot of differences, but I love the look of the black so much.

I'm an AT&T customer also so is this for everybody? Or do I have to mention something?

Blackhead

Redarse
Well shit, how convenient.

304953_4620676234477_789543454_n.jpg

Not mine, but at least now i'll probably be getting my hands on an iPhone 5 now in an impressions capacity. :p
It's just the back. That's not too hard to replace or covered with a case. Unless the person is has money to spare...

Has this been posted? Because wow: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3328492/iphone-5-simultaneous-voice-data-verizon-sprint

Apparently simultaneous voice and data isn't supported in Sprint or Verizon

... That can't be right. Apple said they waited to have the best LTE.

PaulLFC

Depending on whether you get a good Vodafone signal or not, Talkmobile have good SIM-only rates and piggyback Vodafone's network. I'm unsure if they will have Micro-SIMs from launch day though - they're run by the Carphone Warehouse so it may be worth giving them a call. Tesco Mobile are also good if you want to go SIM-only, their rates are competitive and they use O2's network so coverage is likely better than Vodafone-based networks as well.

Tesco also do contracts, I was with them for the iPhone 3GS back in the days of £240 for the phone and 12 month contracts at 20 quid a month, I wish it was that cheap these days! I had no problems with them at all, service was great and I'd recommend them. In fact I think I may wait to see what their tariffs are this year - for the 4S it seems they were still offering a choice between 12 month or 24 month contracts.

Audio out works, confirmed!

Stuff has just had a chat with Apple about the steep price of that Lightning connector and it’s been revealed to us why. As you may have noticed the Lightning port is purely digital, but the old 30-pin connection in your car or on your speaker dock uses an analogue signal. Apple’s Lightning to 30-pin Adapter has its own DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter) allowing the iPhone 5's digital signal to be understood by your analogue dock – which isn’t a cheap or simple piece of kit.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/'http:...e-5-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-costs-so-much

taylor910

Say what.
Ha, got excited and had to brag.

We have a corporate account and every year right around release our rep calls and asks if we want any preorders; we give them cc info and they take care of the rest. Actually 2 years ago the phones were delivered the day before official release. Here's to wishful thinking!

Edit: yes doodis that is what I meant. They put the order in, but no 3am wake up and no worrying about missing release date.

Has this been posted? Because wow: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3328492/iphone-5-simultaneous-voice-data-verizon-sprint

Apparently simultaneous voice and data isn't supported in Sprint or Verizon

wait... what? doesn't like ... EVERY phone do that over LTE? plus many VZW phones from other companies have been doing that over 3G since last year, and many of Sprint's new phones do it over 3G too, and they all do it over LTE, if you're in one of the 3 cities...

Blackhead

Redarse
Uhhhhh wasn't this the big bomb they dropped when the iPhone went to Verizon? Old news as far as I'm aware.

At that time almost all 3G phones on Verizon/Sprint didn't do simultaneous voice/data but LTE was supposed to solve that. However now the iPhone for some reason doesn't support it and is the odd one out. Must be some mistake.

When you pre-order via AT&T, is there an option for walk-in store or mail? How does this work? I've never pre-ordered a phone.

Sorry for sounding out of touch.

Top Bottom