• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

noah111

Still Alive
It's just the back. That's not too hard to replace or covered with a case. Unless the person is has money to spare...
It's actually the front a bit, too. And the sim tray must've gotten fucked because it's not reading it anymore. Worth noting this wasn't just dropped, it was thrown. :lol

PaulLFC

Sorry if this has been said but the thread is moving fast - have Apple given an exact time preorders start tomorrow? It's technically the 14th in 1 hour 11 minutes here, but I assume it will be based on whatever timezone Apple is based in.

Edit: Been asked above while I was posting this. Great minds etc etc.

Sorry if this has been said but the thread is moving fast - have Apple given an exact time preorders start tomorrow? It's technically the 14th in 1 hour 11 minutes here, but I assume it will be based on whatever timezone Apple is based in.

Assuming everything goes to plan it'll be midnight tonight CST. So roughly 9 hours and 10 minutes from this post.

Uhhhhh wasn't this the big bomb they dropped when the iPhone went to Verizon? Old news as far as I'm aware.

that was true of 3G only devices, but the VZW LTE and Sprint Wimax and LTE devices didn't have that problem if you were using LTE/Wimax for data. and in the past two years, there have been many phones that support SVDO over 3G as well on Verizon and Sprint. IIRC, Verizon's SVDO support started with the HTC Thunderbolt in early 2011.

AngryMoth

Anyone know what time we can preorder in the UK, is it the same as the US? Also, any recommendations on a carrier, I think I saw in the keynote that T mobile and E&E(?) are the ones that have got 4g networks coming, but I hadn't heard of the latter until today and I feel a little reticent leaving what I know which is Orange and O2.
edit: sorry didn't realise the preorder question had already been askedon this page

Kaladin

Question: If I buy an iphone 5 from the Apple store, will I be charged Verizon's upgrade fee?

Also: Is that upgrade fee charged with the price of the phone or on the next monthly bill?

So, I just called 1800MYAPPLE and asked about the first question. I'm not entirely sure if the representative knew what I was talking about, but he said there was no upgrade fee which would be applied on Apple's end. I took that to mean that it would probably be handled by Verizon and most likely on the next bill.....I guess I will find out when I pre-order.

PaulLFC

Assuming everything goes to plan it'll be midnight tonight CST. So roughly 9 hours and 10 minutes from this post.
Cheers :)

Think it's 8am, Dave.
I'll be on train to work by then but at least it's a reasonable time. Will give me some time to compare costs and options.

Having looked at Tesco Mobile (basically O2 rebranded), they're doing a 12 month £25/month contract on the 4S. I'll wait and see what they do, if they keep that tariff on the iPhone 5 then I'm in. That for a year then moving to their Sim-only deal at around £10/month should make it considerably cheaper than a 24 month contract even with the up-front cost of the phone. Here's their deal on the 4S:

aVa7K.jpg

Brian Klug of anandtech:

uzkq+

A15 for me was certainly the most surprising thing.

It is the killer feature for me, along with the 1GB of RAM and LTE. (And switching to Verizon's network, lol). The processor, combined with the 1GB of RAM, is going to redefine what can be done on Smartphones

(Okay, so the 1GB of RAM is going to quickly be surpassed by all Android phones, and I'm sure some awesome new production apps released with the iPhone 6 will make the 1GB of RAM in the 5 inadequate.)

Kaladin

Would also like to know this.

Me as well !!

Still looking for advantages or disadvantages of ordering through
the apple store or verizon store.

I can confirm that at least when you buy a phone through Amazon Wireless, the $30 upgrade fee is added to your first bill and is not part of the purchase price. I believe that applies to all third party retailers and Verizon's store adds the $30 upgrade fee when you purchase from their website or retail stores.

Nori Chan

Guys, I have an iPhone 4 and my contract has been up for months now. How do I go about selling this to minimize how much I pay for the 5?

I would like to know this as well. I read earlier that apple buys them as well? Should I do it before or after I buy the phone? Cause I want to make sure that everything is transferred from my 4 to 5 safely before I sell it.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone said:
If I lose my iPhone, can I buy a replacement iPhone?
Yes. You can purchase a replacement iPhone from the Apple Online Store, an Apple Retail Store, or your carrier’s store. Your price will depend on whether you qualify for a carrier subsidy. Some iPhone models are also available unlocked from the Apple Online Store. An unlocked iPhone requires a SIM card that you obtain directly from your supported GSM carrier.

So there's still hope that Apple will offer unlocked phones tonight.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Interesting that the adaptor does indeed have a dac in it. Great news for any people upgrading though. I guess there was no way Apple would have left so many people out to dry like that.

CrankyJay

Banned
It is the killer feature for me, along with the 1GB of RAM and LTE. (And switching to Verizon's network, lol). The processor, combined with the 1GB of RAM, is going to redefine what can be done on Smartphones

(Okay, so the 1GB of RAM is going to quickly be surpassed by all Android phones, and I'm sure some awesome new production apps released with the iPhone 6 will make the 1GB of RAM in the 5 inadequate.)

Besides games, what is exactly going to take advantage of all this power?

Koyuga

I can confirm that at least when you buy a phone through Amazon Wireless, the $30 upgrade fee is added to your first bill and is not part of the purchase price. I believe that applies to all third party retailers and Verizon's store adds the $30 upgrade fee when you purchase from their website or retail stores.

Thanks, I'll probably buy from the Apple store then.

Mairu

So is there any reason to switch from AT&T if I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan? I don't care about Facetime, I just care about bandwidth and pricing.

Nori Chan

I would definitely get it shipped to you, you're not going to want to go inside an Apple store for weeks after launch.

So what would happen if I order it through the apple store? Like would I have to go to ATT to activate it? Or would I be able to use it when I turn it on? What would happen with my iPhone 4? Would it stop working after I get the 5?

Sorry lots of questions and this is my first time updating, and it's an iPhone to iPhone to boot lol

So what would happen if I order it through the apple store? Like would I have to go to ATT to activate it? Or would I be able to use it when I turn it on? What would happen with my iPhone 4? Would it stop working after I get the 5?

Sorry lots of questions and this is my first time updating, and it's an iPhone to iPhone to boot lol

Been a while since I've updated phones at a store, but I'm pretty sure they unbox it and activate it for you at the Apple store. Your 4 won't be able to access the network but you can still use it as a big iPod touch or you can just put another AT&T sim card in there. Depending on your contract status you may even get them to unlock it for you.

The phones get activated through iTunes (or at least they did when I upgraded to a 4). If you purchase from an Apple store they may activate it for you.

I read earlier that apple buys them as well? Should I do it before or after I buy the phone? Cause I want to make sure that everything is transferred from my 4 to 5 safely before I sell it.

http://www.apple.com/recycling/

eBay will probably get you more money, though. Apple would give me $120 for my Black 16GB slightly scratched iPhone 4, whereas I'm seeing completed listings on eBay for the same phone with significantly more damage that sold for $200-$250. You can sell it whenever you want (you can back everything up on your computer), I'm going to wait until I get the iPhone 5 before I sell mine.

quickly surpassed? the Galaxy S III had 2GB of RAM in June!

Top Bottom