• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Kaladin

So, my last iPhone was an iPhone3. My phone since then has been a Droid Incredible. I honestly switched to Android because of Google Maps, which was the best free turn by turn navigation option at the time. Everything else for me was interchangeable.

Am I in for a big shock in power and usability with the iPhone 5 upgrade?

Nori Chan

http://www.apple.com/recycling/

eBay will probably get you more money, though. Apple would give me $120 for my Black 16GB slightly scratched iPhone 4, whereas I'm seeing completed listings on eBay for the same phone with significantly more damage that sold for $200-$250. You can sell it whenever you want (you can back everything up on your computer), I'm going to wait until I get the iPhone 5 before I sell mine.

Thanks for the website.

I'm on a plan with my GF, except she kinda messed up her phone :\ Apparently phone calls don't go through. Like she can hear me talk, but I can't hear her. It's for every phone that she calls. And I have no idea if there's an easy way to fix that

Koyuga

So, my last iPhone was an iPhone3. My phone since then has been a Droid Incredible. I honestly switched to Android because of Google Maps, which was the best free turn by turn navigation option at the time. Everything else for me was interchangeable.

Am I in for a big shock in power and usability with the iPhone 5 upgrade?

I'm coming from a Droid 2, but definitely. My friend has a 4S and I've used it a few times, the performance is amazing, can only imagine how much better 5 will be.

giga

Besides games, what is exactly going to take advantage of all this power?
Photo editing apps, video editing apps, quicker app launches, processing graphically intensive 3D maps, shutter speed and saving photos in the camera app, and other general purpose things like saving big documents are all sped up.

I got the 4S at launch a year ago and started my Verizon contract with that, so that's how far I am in.

I guess I can probably get around $250-300 for my 4S, bringing down the real price of the 5, but man, that's harsh.
Are you on a family plan with your girlfriend?

Having a family plan is a great way to get subsized phones annually while passing down old phones to folks that don't need the best of the best.

Nori Chan

Oh yeah forgot to ask, is there anything that's iPhone 5 exculsive? Like how the 4S had siri last year?

besides the screen of course

Oh yeah forgot to ask, is there anything that's iPhone 5 exculsive? Like how the 4S had siri last year?

besides the screen of course
JOSP4.jpg

giga

The SVLTE seems to be a limitation with the MDM9615. Edit: Or maybe the single radio? Hard to find real technical papers on the components.

Husker86

The SVLTE seems to be a limitation with the MDM9615. Edit: Or maybe the single radio? Hard to find real technical papers on the components.
:( I don't use it often but I just did today when tethering and had to take a call. It's just one radio? Not LTE plus others on a single chip?

what's this I hear about the 30 pin to lightning adapter not having video out or iPod out??

that's major bad news! my wife can't even get this phone now, because she plugs her iPhone into her car to listen to music everyday, and it lets her control it on the stereo screen

that's a real bummer. 95% of car stereo decks (not to mention stock BMW, and i'm sure other luxury car stereos) out the door into the trash...

unbelievable that it's $30 for an adapter that does not even provide full functionality.

i hope this creates some sort of controversy that makes them rework the adapter because i was looking forward to getting this for her, but I can't just yet now.

does it matter if the issue is a limitation of the chip or radio setup?

what 4G LTE or Wimax phones on Verizon and/or Sprint don't allow simultaneous voice with an LTE/Wimax connection?

and as far as SVDO goes, the Snapdragon S4 does it, it works on the EVO LTE and Galaxy S3 on Sprint and Verizon.

it's just something that other phones do, it should be something they do too.

raven777

can someone explain what Cricket is?

Apparently I read that on Cricket you can buy iphone without contract. Is this same as the one sold in Apple store site with no contract and is unlocked version?

what's this I hear about the 30 pin to lightning adapter not having video out or iPod out??

that's major bad news! my wife can't even get this phone now, because she plugs her iPhone into her car to listen to music everyday, and it lets her control it on the stereo screen

that's a real bummer. 95% of car stereo decks (not to mention stock BMW, and i'm sure other luxury car stereos) out the door into the trash...

unbelievable that it's $30 for an adapter that does not even provide full functionality.

i hope this creates some sort of controversy that makes them rework the adapter because i was looking forward to getting this for her, but I can't just yet now.

you're thinking about this the wrong way... what happened is Apple has not innovated more demand into new cars. new car sales will be up this year!

Husker86

what 4G LTE or Wimax phones on Verizon and/or Sprint don't allow simultaneous voice with an LTE/Wimax connection?

and as far as SVDO goes, the Snapdragon S4 does it, it works on the EVO LTE and Galaxy S3 on Sprint and Verizon.

I think at this point it's about trying to figure out if it's software or hardware limitation as software could maybe sometime be patched (maybe).

Kaladin

I believe it has been confirmed that the adapter has a digital to analog converter, so it works with anything. They've already thought of that.

can someone explain what Cricket is?

Apparently I read that on Cricket you can buy iphone without contract. Is this same as the one sold in Apple store site with no contract and is unlocked version?

I believe it's a prepaid wireless carrier and I'm almost certain the phones come locked.

giga

I know it's something that should be there, but I'm just trying to figure out the source of the problem. Just how I think…

raven777

So it's 100% confirmed the processor is A15 based? Can't wait to see the real life performance and battery life.

I think its a speculation at the moment, although the guy from Anandtech says its 100% a15 dual.

We will probably have to wait until day1 of release to have people figure it out

I believe it has been confirmed that the adapter has a digital to analog converter, so it works with anything. They've already thought of that.

it supports analog audio out, but it doesn's support video out or iPod out, which is a spec that many cars have that allows the car dash to display and control the content on the device.

X-Frame

If only AT&T allowed free tethering to other devices then it'd be a no brainer for me to stay. I have a Grandfathered Unlimited plan and 5GB of LTE data sounds amazing, especially since 90% of my phone's use will be at work in Midtown, NYC.

raven777

I believe it's a prepaid wireless carrier and I'm almost certain the phones come locked.

thanks. so I guess I would have to wait until Apple sells the unlocked, contract free version of iphone 5 at their site.

Does anyone know how long it took after the 4s launch for Apple to release the unlocked/contract free 4s?

thanks. so I guess I would have to wait until Apple sells the unlocked, contract free version of iphone 5 at their site.

Does anyone know how long it took after the 4s launch for Apple to release the unlocked/contract free 4s?

We've talked about it a bit in this thread, they officially sold it a month after launch but you could buy an off contract phone right away and they actually came unlocked.

rozay

Banned
I think its a speculation at the moment, although the guy from Anandtech says its 100% a15 dual.

We will probably have to wait until day1 of release to have people figure it out
I don't think Klug would say that unless he was truly sure. At least I hold those guys to a higher standard than the usual tech bloggers.

giga

it supports analog audio out, but it doesn's support video out or iPod out, which is a spec that many cars have that allows the car dash to display and control the content on the device.
Video out adapters are coming soon (posted a tweet about it earlier in this thread), but yeah iPod controls aren't.

are you talking about native Lightning video out cables or a Lightning to 30 pin converter with video out?

because the former is expected.

c'mon Giga, Of course native lightning video out/ipod out cables will work great.

but now every car manufacturer, stereo deck maker has to supply a new cable (or both cables) in order to supply all of their iphone/ipod customers with ipod out...

if they can get those out in the open soon, then this won't be an issue

but if it takes then 6-12 months people are going to be up in arms.

that's a big feature.

we are shopping for a new car for her and she needs that feature so she doesn't have to keep looking down at her phone to change playlist, fast forward, rewind, etcetera, etcetera...

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Really? Come back to me when you can watch 8 hours of video non-stop without charging on the 4S.

The 4S also got 8 hours of video playback on a single charge.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/14/iphone-4s-review/

In real life, the iPhone 4S offered up eight hours of continuous video playback when we we pushed the battery to its limits. This was done with 3G signal and WiFi switched on, running with push email and Twitter notifications. We also attempted the same test with the phone's contentious timezone location feature enabled, which resulted in a 30 minute reduction in battery life.

giga

c'mon Giga, Of course usb to lightning cables will work great.

but now every car manufacturer, stereo deck maker has to supply a new cable (or both cables) in order to supply all of their iphone/ipod customers with ipod out...

if they can get those out in the open soon, then this won't be an issue

but if it takes then 6-12 months people are going to be up in arms.

that's a big feature.

we are shopping for a new car for her and she needs that feature so she doesn't have to keep looking down at her phone to change playlist, fast forward, rewind, etcetera, etcetera...
What lol. I'm not defending the lack of ipod out. That sucks for car owners and I can feel the remorse. I was just answering the dudes question about lightning to usb.

Kaladin

Thankfully, I don't use that feature on my car. I keep the music I want to listen to on USB drives and listen in my car that way. The only thing I use is the bluetooth connection to hook up with Toyota's Entune.

quickly surpassed? the Galaxy S III had 2GB of RAM in June!

I really am tempted to get a Galaxy S III. But my main gripes are the same problem I've had w/ Android as a platform overall: Why doesn't their flagship phones have the latest OS version on day one? Why is it 6 months later and the device still doesn't have jellybean? And I've read AT&T only carries 16gb versions of it and apps can't be put on the sd card. So even if I got an sd card I can't move my apps on it.

I love my iphone 4 but I'm not crazy about the screen size of the iPhone 5. Just another row is....meh to me. Although I'm reading the CPU and GPU on the thing is beast.

I just don't know what to get....arg...this is the first time an android phone has tempted me.

I love my iphone 4 but I'm not crazy about the screen size of the iPhone 5. Just another row is....meh to me. Although I'm reading the CPU and GPU on the thing is beast.
You will rarely use the homescreen. The new screen shines when it comes to apps specifically tailored to display more content. Just watch the keynote.

LCfiner

Can someone please tell what makes iphone 5 better than previous models?

which previous model? the 4S? Well, it's faster, lighter and thinner and has LTE support- if you're into that. probably not enough for most people to upgrade.

but if you have a 3GS or earlier, the 5 is an enormous upgrade.

Top Bottom