• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

LordCanti

Can someone please tell what makes iphone 5 better than previous models?

Taller/brighter screen, longer battery life, LTE (4G), improved low light photos, full color reproduction on the screen, faster CPU/GPU, improved earbuds, etc.

Oh, and new iTunes that hopefully doesn't suck ass on the PC. (but I guess everyone gets this, despite their iPhone version)

not much:
around 10-15% better battery life,
bigger screen,
somewhat faster,
LTE (still bad coverage),
less shitty headphones (according to apple)
little lighter
better frontcamera (previous were shit)
different looking backside

not enough to warrant the high price of an upgrade

If you've got an old iPhone and you didn't abuse it, chances are that selling it will pay for the upgrade and then some.

MasLegio

Banned
Can someone please tell what makes iphone 5 better than previous models?

not much:
bigger screen,
somewhat faster,
little lighter

Branson

not much:
bigger screen,
somewhat faster,
little lighter

For me its worth it simply because I'm on a 3GS. It's slow as shit.

GAF, I have my mom on my plan and she is eligible for an upgrade. I am also eligible for an upgrade, but I do not want to lose my unlimited plan. Would it be possible to upgrade her plan and just transfer the phone to my account and not lose the unlimited plan?

elsk

Banned
Why does the 32GB cost $100 more? Hell, the Wii U gives you 24GB more for only $50, plus some other stuff.

Apple tax!
Apple iPhone prices don't really make sense, for example the Galaxy Nexus was released around the same time as iPhone 4S and the Galaxy Nexus (UNLOCKED) price is 350$ since like 5 months ago. iPhone 4S (Unlocked) price is 550$ after the announcement of iPhone 5.

Surely Apple wins more money from selling an iPhone than from any other of their products.

Apple. People will buy it. The gap between 32GB and 64GB is £100 here, which is ridiculous.

Yea. But I look at it like this: I'm paying 400$ for a phone that will be rock solid for two years. That's my cycle. I buy a new phone every 2 years. My iPhone 3G was a slow clunky mess by the time I got my iPhone 4. And now the power button on my iPhone 4 is garbage. But the device is still pretty fast. Twice the horsepower of the 4S (which already shits on my iPhone 4) and LTE and the only thing stopping me is that sexy large screen on that Galaxy S3.

Arg.

PaulLFC

Yea. But I look at it like this: I'm paying 400$ for a phone that will be rock solid for two years. That's my cycle. I buy a new phone every 2 years. My iPhone 3G was a slow clunky mess by the time I got my iPhone 4. And now the power button on my iPhone 4 is garbage. But the device is still pretty fast. Twice the horsepower of the 4S (which already shits on my iPhone 4) and LTE and the only thing stopping me is that sexy large screen on that Galaxy S3.

Arg.
Seems like a good strategy, think I'll be doing the same. Just hope they don't substantially upgrade the next model, but apart from NFC and "faster everything" like this model, I can't see what they can add. There will probably come a time when they can't make the phone any thinner - due to the size of the headphone jack and the space needed by the components inside the phone.

Bgamer90

Banned
64gb

I didn't think I was going to need that with the 4S but I used up 39 gigs on pictures, videos, and apps in less than a year.

Yep same here pretty much.

Got a 32 GB 4S that's almost full so I'm definitely getting a 64 GB version. Had a 16 GB 3GS before getting my 4S and in a year I've added 15 gigs (music, apps, and a few TV shows).

I prefer having everything on my phone instead of relying on clouds though in the near future I'll probably have no choice.

So what size is everyone going with? I think Ill get 16gb here again. Its been fine for me.

16 when I get around to it, My current phone only has 2GB and I only just about use half of it, but then I don't use many android apps and have a HUGE library of iOS things from over the years, so I could easily fill it with games if I wanted, but I doubt many games will be permanently on it outside of the awesome ones.

not much:
bigger screen,
somewhat faster,
little lighter

2x faster and the fastest processor from cortex is somewhat faster?

You forgot

Slimmer

ReBurn

Gold Member
Now that the screen is larger I could probably tolerate one. I like the design. I really like the new iPod touch, too. I just hate the colors.

PaulLFC

For people who have an iPhone 4 or the 4S, do you find 16GB usable or is that not enough space? I'm considering the 32GB but I could always save the money, get the 16GB and just manage what I install on the phone rather than an "install everything I buy" policy.

I had a 16GB 3GS and that was fine, but it wasn't retina.

mrkgoo

Why does the 32GB cost $100 more? Hell, the Wii U gives you 24GB more for only $50, plus some other stuff.
Because pricing tiers aren't based on the differences as such.

They're based on the whole product line. Like the lower models could simply be price lower than what they would sell if it were the only model, and that price difference is applie to the higher end. They consider everything together. They don't just slap in more stuff and increment the price accordingly.

If they did that they're better off just offerig one model and givig you your own choice of expandable storage. Which is better for the consumer, but not for the business.

Artificial range of prices an models etc. Point is it's not just let's make another model an increment the price. The other models serve to create a sweet spot version.

mrkgoo

For people who have an iPhone 4 or the 4S, do you find 16GB usable or is that not enough space? I'm considering the 32GB but I could always save the money, get the 16GB and just manage what I install on the phone rather than an "install everything I buy" policy.
I don't have an iPhone 4 or 4s, but you want at least 32gb if you're a digital geek of any sort, that is if you're interested in apps.

The 16gb only really suits the most casual of phone users in my opinion.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Because pricing tiers aren't based on the differences as such.

They're based on the whole product line. Like the lower models could simply be price lower than what they would sell if it were the only model, and that price difference is applie to the higher end. They consider everything together. They don't just slap in more stuff and increment the price accordingly.

If they did that they're better off just offerig one model and givig you your own choice of expandable storage. Which is better for the consumer, but not for the business.

Artificial range of prices an models etc. Point is it's not just let's make another model an increment the price. The other models serve to create a sweet spot version.

It would be nice if Apple were like sane companies and allowed you to upgrade your storage with micro SD or something.

Crimmy

Question about pre orders:

Last year I got jerked. I pre ordered the iphone at At&T's store and I used my debit card. I get an email from apple about 4 days later saying my pre order was canceled. When I inquired about it, they said it was due to the fact that I used my debit card and not an actual credit card. Ultimately I couldnt get the first slew of phones until the next go around which I was pissed about. Does anyone know if this is strictly something involving AT&T or no matter who I pre order with, I HAVE to use a credit card? Can anyone please fill me in because tomorrow is pre order-day and I don't want to get jerked for the second year in a row. Does anyone here pre order with a debit card?

mrkgoo

Have you seen the iPhone 5? Yeah, I'll take *that* design over a fucking SD slot.
I'm sure they could accommodate a micro SD.

But yeah, there are some absolutes in life. Apple won't give you user changeable storage on their idevices as they use that as a way to create a product 'line'. Nor user changeable batteries.

Buyers have already decide with their wallets that these things don't matter.

Flo_Evans

I am going for mama bear 32gb.

I have a 64gb iPad and while it is nice to just not really give a fuck about space I think 32gb is about the right amount.

Dany

Banned
16 gb but I'm unsure if I want the white or black. I have a black 4 but the white looks so nice, does the white get dirtier any easier? I usually go caseless.

giga

t-mo nano sim won't be available till mid october.

jIwL+

PaulLFC

I don't have an iPhone 4 or 4s, but you want at least 32gb if you're a digital geek of any sort, that is if you're interested in apps.

The 16gb only really suits the most casual of phone users in my opinion.
Thanks, 32GB it is. I sort of knew I'd need that capacity to be "comfortable" using the phone without having to delete things all the time, the hugely exaggerated extra expense, while nothing new for Apple, is annoying though. Ah well.

knitoe

Got it. I guess I'm going to just do everythig through AT&T.
Seems easier.

A new Sim comes with the phone already preprogram. Put Sim in the phone, connect to your computer, activate the phone through iTunes, and then, you are all set to use the new phone. The old phone will no longer have service.

Cloudy

Banned
So what size is everyone going with? I think Ill get 16gb here again. Its been fine for me.

32. 16 is too small and resale value isn't much better for 64s then 32s from my 4s experience. With icloud and the other cloud storage options, 32 is the sweet spot for me

A new Sim comes with the phone already preprogram. Put Sim in the phone, connect to your computer, activate the phone through iTunes, and then, you are all set to use the new phone. The old phone will no longer have service.

Maybe I should update my iTunes. I haven't updated it in over a year.

Top Bottom