• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Starting with the 5 being my first iphone i'll keep it to 2 years most likely, if I had a 4s right now I would wait another year for a 5s or something.

Appleman

Going from a 64GB 4S to a 32GB or 16GB iPhone 5. Historically I've just bought the biggest one, but now with iTunes Match I'm not even using 16GB of my 4S... Decisions, decisions.

I also went from:

White 3G -> White 3GS (stolen) -> Black 3GS -> Black 4 (no white at launch) -> White 4S

and now I can't decide because it's hard for me to get a feel for what the two tone backing looks like in real life, and none of the hands-on really mentioned which they thought looked better

Branson

I might get 32gb then. Ill use photos and videos more because of the better camera than my 3GS. It sucks since all of my music in itunes equals about 36 gigs. 64gb is just out of my price range. I do have an Ipod Classic I keep in my car with 160gb for that though.

I'm not eligible yet for an upgrade through Verizon, but if I want to purchase one and pay full price (selling my 4s later), would it be better to preorder from Apple or Verizon? And are they both going up tonight?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The concept of itunes match is completely new to me, but would definitely deal with my storage problem greatly. Anyone here who uses it, how much data would it happen to use over the course of the month of regular (let's say listening to two hours a day)?

And I'm definitely getting a 64gb, I have over 30 gigs worth in just apps!

Mairu

So where's everybody selling their iPhone 4? Listings on craigslist in my area is approaching the point where I might as well just trade in to Amazon.

jcm

I'm really irritated I have to pay an extra $100 for a reasonable amount of storage, and that they obsoleted everything I own with a 30 pin dock connector. But I'm really, really irritated I've got to order this thing at 3 in the morning if I want in on day 1.

The fact that I'm doing so is a testament to how frustrated my decrepit 3GS makes me nowadays.

LordCanti

So where's everybody selling their iPhone 4? Listings on craigslist in my area is approaching the point where I might as well just trade in to Amazon.

Ebay's trade-in program (through a third party) offered me $200 for my IP4 16gb. Once I have the IP5 in hand, I'll accept that offer and pay off the phone.

I fully realize that I could get more by auctioning it or craigslisting it, but I don't want the hassle of doing either of those things. As much as it pains me to sell a perfect condition, unlocked IP4 for $200, it's better than having some douche dispute the charges with Paypal, or stab me during a craigslist sale.

mr stroke

The concept of itunes match is completely new to me, but would definitely deal with my storage problem greatly. Anyone here who uses it, how much data would it happen to use over the course of the month of regular (let's say listening to two hours a day)?

And I'm definitely getting a 64gb, I have over 30 gigs worth in just apps!

Probably quite a bit(more than 3gb a month with other data usage)

I am going with a 16gb. With itunes match and icloud/photostream I haven't had any problems with my 16gb 4S. When it fills up I erase some stuff and re download it over wifi if I need it again.

RevDM

Banned
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

It's probably been posted, but just wanted to remind everyone what this episode was about.

The Chef

Omg I keep switching back and forth. Seeing as how you can't do voice and data at the same time was a deal breaker for me in switching to version. So I was just going to stay with AT&T until I discovered their 4g lte coverage is the area the size of my first apartment. Screw that. Looks like I'm back to version.

I'm really irritated I have to pay an extra $100 for a reasonable amount of storage, and that they obsoleted everything I own with a 30 pin dock connector. But I'm really, really irritated I've got to order this thing at 3 in the morning if I want in on day 1.

The fact that I'm doing so is a testament to how frustrated my decrepit 3GS makes me nowadays.

it sucks, I had a 16GB for the last 2 years on my iPhone 4 and was constantly deleting apps/music/photos to have 3-4GBs available for me. Forced to go 32GB and it's bullshit it's not the standard

Crimmy

So I guess I'm the only one who ever pre orders with their debit card? If anyone has an answer to my question it'd be greatly appreciated as I'd like to avoid getting jerked two years in a row.

Omg I keep switching back and forth. Seeing as how you can't do voice and data at the same time was a deal breaker for me in switching to version. So I was just going to stay with AT&T until I discovered their 4g lte coverage is the area the size of my first apartment. Screw that. Looks like I'm back to version.

I thought you could do voice and data simultaneously with LTE on Verizon

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Probably quite a bit(more than 3gb a month with other data usage)

I am going with a 16gb. With itunes match and icloud/photostream I haven't had any problems with my 16gb 4S. When it fills up I erase some stuff and re download it over wifi if I need it again.

Ah, quite a lot. I've been researching about this and it downloads the music to your ipod to be able to use later, so I guess I can just do that off wifi.

jcm

Anyone have any good ideas on selling an iphone 4 with a (non-glass) replacement back panel? Should I buy a new glass replacement before I sell? The phone is in pretty good shape otherwise, I think.

Mairu

Ebay's trade-in program (through a third party) offered me $200 for my IP4 16gb. Once I have the IP5 in hand, I'll accept that offer and pay off the phone.

I fully realize that I could get more by auctioning it or craigslisting it, but I don't want the hassle of doing either of those things. As much as it pains me to sell a perfect condition, unlocked IP4 for $200, it's better than having some douche dispute the charges with Paypal, or stab me during a craigslist sale.

How much time do you have to send it to them? I kinda... need it until the 21st :p

Submitting to Amazon gives me a ship deadline of the 20th, so it's either wait a few days or try this I guess.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what do you guys do for music. I was thinking of going 64 GB to dump all my music on it, but might go 32 if there's a good alternative.

Streaming it all the time seems like it'd eat up my bandwidth quick (no longer grandfathered in on verizon :( ).

So I updated my billing addresses for both my debit card and my Apple ID to my work address. I should have no problem getting it delivered to my office on Friday now, right?

5amshift

Banned
I'm in the east, staying up till 3am is going to be a bitch

Same here. I was thinking about taking a nap, but eh..
As far as Craigslist goes, I still have the box, manual and all that stuff ready to go, so I'll probably sell mine for $300. Not sure what they are going for now. If I can get around to unlocking it, I'll price it at $350 possibly.

mash440

Neo Member
not much:
around 10-15% better battery life,
bigger screen,
somewhat faster,
LTE (still bad coverage),
less shitty headphones (according to apple)
little lighter
better frontcamera (previous were shit)
different looking backside

not enough to warrant the high price of an upgrade

You're missing a few key points.

16:9 display with full sRGB gamut.
Pretty much the same battery life.
Apparently 2x faster. Examples given of 'Apple's own apps'
Slightly renovated camera, with sapphire lens (whatever than means... it's not a HD 7970)
18% thinner and also lighter.
720p front-facing camera.
Chamfered polished bezel.
Sides coloured to match the color scheme (graphite and silver)
iOS 6 installed out of the box.

Also, I wouldn't touch apple headphones with a bargepole. They sound terrible compared to alternatives and let people know you have an expensive product in your pocket.

I'm trying to look at this as objectively as I can, being a 4S owner, it's border-line upgrade-worthy.

sigh...

probably can't get one until a few months later, or until I can find myself a job :(

Silly restrictions my dad put on me (but he's paying for my data atm, so can't complain :p).

blahness

Has anyone had any success using the Apple Store app to pre order one of the previous iPhones? Is it a better option than trying to hit the website at 3:01am?

5amshift

Banned
I have a question for the ones who had pre ordered with Apple in the past. What will I need to reserve the phone? I'll be renewing my contract as well.

jcm

I have a question for the ones who had pre ordered with Apple in the past. What will I need to reserve the phone? I'll be renewing my contract as well.

I just did a test run on the apple site. They asked for my phone number, zip, and last 4 of ssn to check for eligibility. As far as I can tell, that's it.

Top Bottom