• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

AEREC

So what size is everyone going with? I think Ill get 16gb here again. Its been fine for me.

64GB...since Ill use up all the space (was hoping they would announce a 128GB model this year) and because I assume they will be easier to obtain than the 32GB ones.

Also this is my first iphone launch event...how exactly does it work? Ill be up at midnight tonight to preorder and sign up for a plan (family plan) and get a free IP4 for the wife and an iPhone 5 for me.

How likely is it that it will sell out online tonight?

5amshift

Banned
64GB...since Ill use up all the space (was hoping they would announce a 128GB model this year) and because I assume they will be easier to obtain than the 32GB ones.

How likely is it that it will sell out online tonight?

Depends on how much they have for the first batch. 64GB will be good and you should be fine pre ordering it without a problem. 16GB users beware.

NYR

Anyone have confirmed Canadian pricing?

So salty that the 16 GB is $50 more then the unlocked 4S - everyone is assuming 699, 799, 899. Hopng it is wrong.

CAN $ is worth more than the US greenback, makes no sense...

saelz8

I'm going through the Apple store first. If that fails, I'm going through the Mobile App for the store. If that fails, I'm going through AT&T's site.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'll be going with a black 32GB.

I'm going to have to wait a long time though. Selling my 4 is going to pay for my new one, not enough cash to preorder without. Had to do the same going from the 3G to 4.

LTTP here. Are we anticipating $649 for a 16gb?

Need to upgrade out of contract on this one to keep unlimited data. no way I can squeeze into 1gb ea month.

Miker

Does anybody know how shipping works if I order from Verizon? I apparently get a $30 loyalty discount there (at least it showed up when I put a 4S in my cart earlier today), so I'll definitely order from them if it means getting the phone by the 21st.

Juice

So, I'm planning on staying up and ordering on apple.com.

Is there any single FAQ on the AT&T grandfathering rules? I just saw a rogue tweet that even though unlimited data will grandfathered, AT&T won't let you keep $5/month 200 text messages.

Anyone know a guy?

I'm currently daydreaming about being able to pop up at 3, roll to the Apple Store app, preorder, and be back in bed within five minutes. Don't make me turn my computer on, Apple... Please? I have to work tomorrow.

Aurizen

I would love to have an iphone 5 but 650 is just way too much for me :( and I have tmobile and they do not sell it under contract.

5amshift

Banned
So, I'm planning on staying up and ordering on apple.com.

Is there any single FAQ on the AT&T grandfathering rules? I just saw a rogue tweet that even though unlimited data will grandfathered, AT&T won't let you keep $5/month 200 text messages.

All plans now have been upgraded to unlimited texting and minutes. Did you not get that memo?

Juice

Which is better? ordering from verizon website or apple website?

Always Apple. The carriers will tempt you with their non-crashed web sites. Don't bite.

I remember when I ordered the 3GS from AT&T and they somehow activated it automatically on the date they expected it to arrive, so my iPhone Edge just disabled itself in the middle of the day and I missed the call from the delivery guy.

Order from Apple. They're the only one on your side.

Caelestis

Just curious is it just me or others get it as well. I did eligibility check earlier and it said that I could upgrade and my contract is up for sure. Now if I do it, it doesn't show iphone 5 and only shows 4 and 4s for higher prices than announced. o_O

Juice

All plans now have been upgraded to unlimited texting and minutes. Did you not get that memo?

Woah, I've been able to keep my family talk 700 + 2 $5/200 texts on my account for years and years. I upgraded one of the phones in February 2012.

Source? They're going to force us onto unlimited talk & text??

5amshift

Banned
Just curious is it just me or others get it as well. I did eligibility check earlier and it said that I could upgrade and my contract is up for sure. Now if I do it, it doesn't show iphone 5 and only shows 4 and 4s for higher prices than announced. o_O

It did in fact show the iPhone 5 pricing for me when I did my check.

Woah, I've been able to keep my family talk 700 + 2 $5/200 texts on my account for years and years. I upgraded one of the phones in February 2012.

I got a random text a year or 2 ago from AT&T saying I got upgraded to unlimited everything. I know all current plans now are unlimited everything as well, even the cheapest plan. Contact AT&T and double check. But as far as I know, that is where I am.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Man, I have an 8GB iPhone 4 and I'm getting along with my music collecton (96GB) using iTunes Match exclusively. It works well for me, but good lord is it going to be much better when I have 16gB of space and the 4G LTE network to download any song I need to on the fly. Sprint 3G SUCKS.

$649... *sigh*

Clipse

AT&T still have their tiered plans. Verizon has unlimited talk & text as the only option now.

LordCanti

You're both insane. Last year the site came up at 4 or 5, not 3, and was up and down straight through the day.

A glorious few seconds of server up time will precede the crash. If I can just get my order in right at that moment....

Yeah, it's probably going to be a long night.

raven777

just a few questions

Originally Posted by LyleLanley:
We've talked about it a bit in this thread, they officially sold it a month after launch but you could buy an off contract phone right away and they actually came unlocked.
how do i buy off contract phone right away? can someone explain this part?

2. There are apparently 3 different LTE models (2 gsm, 1 cdma).

If I buy the LTE model for the US, I can't use LTE in Asia. But can I still use 3G in Asia or other parts of the country that uses gsm?

I think the best option for those pre-ordering with apple would be using the app with express checkout on. Probably the fastest way to get through I'd imagine.

I cull my music collection down to only the stuff I'm likely to listen to. Then I decide that I hate all the music on my iPhone and listen to Grooveshark or Pandora anyway.

16gb for me.

Yeah I'm a spotify guy, but i have lots of video, pictures, and voice recordings.

So is Verizon not doing midnight preorders? There is a link to fill out a form to be reminded when the iPhone 5 is available for preorder. That wording is just ehhhhh... meanwhile AT&T has a countdown clock and everything.

EDIT: Nevermind I clicked the tab that says WHY VERIZON and then the time shows up... 3:01am

Top Bottom