• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Juice

Hey guys, I just had a chat session with an apple rep online. No real new information, but might be peace of mind to someone:

Apple said:
You are now chatting with Mark P.

Good evening. How may I assist you today?

Juice said:
Hello, I'm planning on staying up tonight to preorder iPhone 5, and I had a couple questions.

Apple said:
I would be happy to assist you today!

Juice said:
In particular, I've been an iPhone user on AT&T since the original model, and I've been on the unlimited plan through each of the subsequent models. I was excited to hear that AT&T is letting folks stay on the unlimited data plan.

So question (1) is if I order on apple.com is there anything special I have to do to elect to stay on that unlimited data plan when I order the phone?

Apple said:
One moment while I research that for you.

Current AT&T customers are not required to change to a Mobile Share Plan. You will be able to keep your existing plan. when going through the process online.

Juice said:
And question (2) I heard a rumor that AT&T will not allow grandfathered iPhone users to buy the iPhone 5 and remain on their $5/month 200 message plans or their old non-unlimited Family talk plan.

Is that true?

Apple said:
One moment while I research that for you.

I am sorry but those details have not been released yet. I suggest checking back tomorrow for more information when it's available for order. When you pre-order you will enter your information. If they are prompted to pick a new plan then you will need to.

Juice said:
Okay, thank you. Just to confirm, the plan is to bring the store up soon after midnight PST, right?

Apple said:
iPhone 5 will be available for order on September 14 after 12:01 a.m. Pacific time in the U.S. and Canada.

Since we do not have an exact time zone, you can check at 12:01 for each time zone just to be safe.

Juice said:
Okay, thank you.

Apple said:
You're welcome.

Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business. If you would like more help, please chat with us again.

Or maybe it'll just worry you. Whichever.

Kaladin

Apple said:
iPhone 5 will be available for order on September 14 after 12:01 a.m. Pacific time in the U.S. and Canada.

Since we do not have an exact time zone, you can check at 12:01 for each time zone just to be safe.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Clipse

If AT&T gets rid of my $5/200 text plan, it's gonna be a rough choice between sticking with them or going with Verizon.

I'd have to choose between paying for their $20/unlimited text plan or going to Verizon with their ridiculously expensive shared data plans and not being able to talk and use data at the same time.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Anyone know if I'm able to leave my brother's family plan if I'm an authorized user and my number is under my name? Going from ATT to Verizon.

Juice

If AT&T gets rid of my $5/200 text plan, it's gonna be a rough choice between sticking with them or going with Verizon.

I'd have to choose between paying for their $20/unlimited text plan or going to Verizon with their ridiculously expensive shared data plans and not being able to talk and use data at the same time.

At this point I'm down to about 4 or 5 non-iMessage texts per month, so I'm just going to drop messages all together.

Mairu

Anyone know if I'm going to have to change my ATT billing address if I order from Apple and want it to get shipped to my work address?

Juice

Anyone know if I'm going to have to change my ATT billing address if I order from Apple and want it to get shipped to my work address?

IIRC, the AT&T billing address and the shipping address must match.

It's possible that the AT&T billing address, credit card billing address, and shipping address (all three) have to match. In which case your plan would not work.

DarkWish

So question about pre-ordering... is there a limit to the number of iPhones you can pre-order? Me and both my sisters were going to pre-order, but I heard someone say there is a limit of two iPhones per household or something.

So question about pre-ordering... is there a limit to the number of iPhones you can pre-order? Me and both my sisters were going to pre-order, but I heard someone say there is a limit of two iPhones per household or something.

Not sure about two per households but it's one per person/contract, if I am correct. Online ordering might be tricky. In store, perhaps?

The Chef

Dudes, I have a question.
So im on AT&T so if I preorder on Apple tonight can I setup a new Verison account with the purchase of 2 phones? (My wife and I)

Secondly, I guess I just simply cancel my AT&T plan when I get the new phone?

So here's my plan:

- buy unlocked iPhone5 from UK store
- get it shipped to Mexico via Borderlinx/DHL
- cut down microSIM and pray sand paper will do the trick

I realize this will be an expensive and risky venture.

Juice

Dudes, I have a question.
So im on AT&T so if I preorder on Apple tonight can I setup a new Verison account with the purchase of 2 phones? (My wife and I)

Secondly, I guess I just simply cancel my AT&T plan when I get the new phone?

I'm 90% certain you can't set up a new family plan through apple's preorder system.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
1x-covers-animation.gif

The Chef

I'm 90% certain you can't set up a new family plan through apple's preorder system.

Soooo what should I do? Wait and order it through Verison?

So here's my plan:

- buy unlocked iPhone5 from UK store
- get it shipped to Mexico via Borderlinx/DHL
- cut down microSIM and pray sand paper will do the trick

I realize this will be an expensive and risky venture.

This is such an insanely terrible idea. Do it!

Juice

Soooo what should I do? Wait and order it through Verison?

Well, now that Verizon's on the Share Everything program, I suppose maybe you could at least get the first phone through apple.com, but perhaps not add another as a new line.

Also, have you fulfilled your contract with AT&T? You might be looking at getting slapped with an ETF if you cancel.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Can't decide on 16 or 32, my 4 is 32GB and usually full but I could probably address that by synching less music :/

The resell on the larger ones nets you so little it doesn't seem worth it. I just feel like it is full because I have that much space and even if it were larger or smaller it would be full still

Making a call while driving and using turn by turn navigation is probably fairly common.
I doubt turn by turn is constantly accessing data.

Top Bottom