• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

sadromeo

Kind of pissed--got my second e-mail from Apple, trying to order the phone, it's giving me a two week ship date. I ordered another of this exact model after I ordered this phone for a different line, and it's set for 9/21, so they didn't reserve jack.

It showed 9/21 on the sidebar when I first signed in, but went to two weeks after I confirmed I wanted it and is showing two weeks on my order status. Lame.

Yeah me too.

It started saying 9/21 and then went to 2 weeks. Why did they do this?

It's not our fault we got put on the reservation # lockdown and had to wait.

iammeiam

Yeah me too.

I'm just going to go to bed and hope they sort this out overnight--hopefully they have something in place to reorganize ship dates after order?

Setting aside the wait, I don't want to have to be home to sign twice because my phones come in different days.

Nugg

Yeah me too.

Canceled my order because of that. If I have to wait that long, I might as well take that time to ask myself if I really need it.

ChanHuk

Banned
Some of you guys are over exaggerating. Apple will fix it for you, they are known for customer service for a reason. I'm just gonna go to the AT&T store in the morning of 9/21 and hope to get one.

PaulLFC

Just spoke with someone from Tesco Mobile live chat

- They will be doing 12 month contracts
- They aren't doing pre-orders but you can register for stock updates
- I was told I should have "no problem" getting one on launch day

I did the numbers for a 32GB phone on a 12 month contract and then 12 months of sim-only at half price - it works out a good £200ish cheaper than O2, Orange etc - if they keep the same or similar prices to the 4S contracts.

They use O2's network so it's basically win win unless you want 4G.

I was really really looking out for the iPhone 5, I really wanted something to replace my GS2 and maybe go back to iOs side. But this felt like a minor upgrade, I have the feeling even S4 was a bigger improvement over the previous version.

ChanHuk

Banned
I was really really looking out for the iPhone 5, I really wanted something to replace my GS2 and maybe go back to iOs side. But this felt like a minor upgrade, I have the feeling even S4 was a bigger improvement over the previous version.

What more are you expecting? It's new internals, LTE, larger screen and improved camera? We're at the point with cell phones that nothing will ever be revolutionary anymore, just refinements of previous designs.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
What are the odds Apple's just being super cautious and 2 week estimated orders get moved to launch? Should I preorder it in the hopes of that and and cancel it if it doesn't change and then fight for one at retail?

ChanHuk

Banned
What are the odds Apple's just being super cautious and 2 week estimated orders get moved to launch? Should I preorder it in the hopes of that and and cancel it if it doesn't change and then fight for one at retail?

They could be cautious, but remember, they could be losing a lot of sales due to a 2 week wait like a lot of people on here are doing. If I had a 2 week wait, I'd rather go into a carrier store bitch and moan; get a free case out of it for the wait.

sadromeo

Canceled my order because of that. If I have to wait that long, I might as well take that time to ask myself if I really need it.

Like what Iammeiam said, I hope they sort this out overnight or in the next few days.

It stated this in the email:

Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need to return to complete my order by a certain time?
We’ve set aside an iPhone for you but after the time indicated above, we won’t be able to ship it by the promised date. You will still be able to order your new iPhone, but the shipping time will reflect what’s available when you return. Subject to availability at the time you complete your order, you can also choose to pick up your iPhone at an Apple Retail Store.

The thing is, I completed it before the time indicated, but I did not get a "promised ship date" since I could not get that far into the ordering process originally. So what does that mean? I got the reservation # some time between 12:00 and 12:05 for sure. What would my promised ship date be?

After finally being able to order, the order page said 2 weeks but the page before that said 9/21?

So confused.

The email also states:

To maintain the delivery priority of your iPhone order, you will need to complete your purchase by Saturday, September 15, 5:00PM PDT. If you do not complete your purchase by that time, your reservation will be canceled.

Does that mean since I received this reservation # at around the 12:00 - 12:05 am time that it is the 9/21 date or after?

I wish it was more clear...

subrock

Got my preorders in with Rogers

Wife is #19 position for 16GB White
I'm #43 for 16GB Black

I got 26th for 16gb black. Not sure if that means 26th across the country or just 26th at the store I chose. (although I doubt that there are 25 people that ordered to the same store before me.

PaulLFC

People in the UK not buying them? That seemed far too easy! Site wasn't evening running slowly!
Might be because nobody knows who is getting nano-SIMs and when, and Apple have stupidly decided not to offer SIM starter packs like they did with the 4S, when that would have made perfect sense given the new standard.

At least, that's the reason I'm not buying one yet.

woober

Trying to keep my unlimited ATT data, but since I'm using a family member's upgrade that has no data plan, I have to sign up for one. Will my line still be unlimted?

Glad I got in through the app. Now come on Apple, update my order status online so I can change the shipping address.

Speaking of, how long is that window to make changes to your order?

ChanHuk

Banned
Trying to keep my unlimited ATT data, but since I'm using a family member's upgrade that has no data plan, I have to sign up for one. Will my line still be unlimted?

You have to get a data plan for the other person's line. Easily remedied though, just call and remove the data plan after you get your phone.

Kibbles

How much is this without a new 2 year contract? I just upgraded to a Android phone last December but was thinking about buying one of these and slipping my SIM in. (att)

Gaaraz

Pricing isn't too bad but for me at least Giffgaff > 3 purely because it's cheaper.
More importantly than the pricing, GiffGaff's coverage is so much better than 3's!

In my office in particular, I have full strength and really good 3D download speeds, my boss and colleague are on 3 and get terrible coverage, and 3G rarely works.

kharma45

More importantly than the pricing, GiffGaff's coverage is so much better than 3's!

In my office in particular, I have full strength and really good 3D download speeds, my boss and colleague are on 3 and get terrible coverage, and 3G rarely works.

I get good general O2 coverage here for calls and texts but for data 3 kicks O2's ass, they're terrible by comparison.

Gaaraz

Just spoke with someone from Tesco Mobile live chat

- They will be doing 12 month contracts
- They aren't doing pre-orders but you can register for stock updates
- I was told I should have "no problem" getting one on launch day

I did the numbers for a 32GB phone on a 12 month contract and then 12 months of sim-only at half price - it works out a good £200ish cheaper than O2, Orange etc - if they keep the same or similar prices to the 4S contracts.

They use O2's network so it's basically win win unless you want 4G.
Looks like I'll probably be moving back to Tesco mobile then, thanks Paul. People be warned to pay a hefty amount up front though, I think I had to pay £360 for my iPhone 4, then £20p/m after that.

PaulLFC

Looks like I'll probably be moving back to Tesco mobile then, thanks Paul. People be warned to pay a hefty amount up front though, I think I had to pay £360 for my iPhone 4, then £20p/m after that.
I had to pay around that for the 3GS too, the 4S raised the price to £25, hopefully it doesn't go higher than that for the 5.

I'm hearing different things now though - their support Twitter just told me stocks in store will be very limited, so I've asked them how they anticipate web orders to be, because I was told in the live chat it shouldn't be a problem getting one. Doesn't look like it'll be here on release day if they aren't doing preorders, but considering the savings I can live without it for a few days.

WTF.

I wanted to ship to work, but Verizon is saying my billing address needs to be the same as my shipping address?

So I put in my work address anyways to get it on the 21st. Do I need to change my billing address on my credit card to my work address or will everything just be fine?

It's funny because the next screen asked for my billing zip, for which I put my actual zip...

pappe

How much would this cost to get without any contract?

I am in India my cousin is coming from US this December so i was thinking of asking him to get it for me from there.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I had to pay around that for the 3GS too, the 4S raised the price to £25, hopefully it doesn't go higher than that for the 5.

I'm hearing different things now though - their support Twitter just told me stocks in store will be very limited, so I've asked them how they anticipate web orders to be, because I was told in the live chat it shouldn't be a problem getting one. Doesn't look like it'll be here on release day if they aren't doing preorders, but considering the savings I can live without it for a few days.

When I got my 4 from Tesco it was until the beginning of December when my local Tesco Extra phone shop started getting them in. I got the text and hurried over, got mine and was told the rest were all gone too. Hot cakes indeed!

PaulLFC

When I got my 4 from Tesco it was until the beginning of December when my local Tesco Extra phone shop started getting them in. I got the text and hurried over, got mine and was told the rest were all gone too. Hot cakes indeed!
Wow, hopefully the website have a decent amount available then! I'll try there, I'd rather wait a few days for delivery than get to the store only to find they were all sold out.

Kibbles

How much would this cost to get without any contract?

I am in India my cousin is coming from US this December so i was thinking of asking him to get it for me from there.
Just found out it's $649 for 16GB. I'd rather do that than get stuck with a crap $80/month plan. I have no idea where you can buy it like that though.

WTF.

I wanted to ship to work, but Verizon is saying my billing address needs to be the same as my shipping address?

So I put in my work address anyways to get it on the 21st. Do I need to change my billing address on my credit card to my work address or will everything just be fine?

It's funny because the next screen asked for my billing zip, for which I put my actual zip...

Really? I put in a different billing and shipping address and had 0 issue on verizon's website. Went through first try with 0 errors.

EDIT: Billing is home and Work was my shipping. Also got my confirmation email instantly with this address information. It also says "Deliver by 9/21"

Gaaraz

Thanks Paul, just realised if I switch from GiffGaff I won't have any more free calls/texts to and from my girlfriend - argh! She's on PAYG so could be a pain.

I think between the price rises, and lack of Nano SIMS, GiffGaff could be in real trouble here - a lot of their customers are iPhone users and probably a bit more savvy than your actual person, ie they've switched to them to get a good deal, so won't have any problems switching away again.

Anno

So should I be able to go into the Apple store on like the 24th and pick up a phone? Or should I just wait the two weeks for shipping?

PaulLFC

Thanks Paul, just realised if I switch from GiffGaff I won't have any more free calls/texts to and from my girlfriend - argh! She's on PAYG so could be a pain.

I think between the price rises, and lack of Nano SIMS, GiffGaff could be in real trouble here - a lot of their customers are iPhone users and probably a bit more savvy than your actual person, ie they've switched to them to get a good deal, so won't have any problems switching away again.
I think that's exactly what will happen, I went to Giffgaff a couple of days ago to check when they'd be getting Nano-SIMs, one of their staff said it could be months, cue pages of angry reactions and threats of leaving for other networks.

Really? I put in a different billing and shipping address and had 0 issue on verizon's website. Went through first try with 0 errors.

EDIT: Billing is home and Work was my shipping. Also got my confirmation email instantly with this address information. It also says "Deliver by 9/21"

I think it's because I'm a new customer porting my number?

Reserved my 5 with Softbank here in Japan. They raised monthly prices due to LTE even though my area isn't covered by LTE... -_-

Anyway can't wait for the call!

Top Bottom