• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Gaaraz

@Paul - where did you hear £25p/m from? Tesco's current 4S contracts seem to be £300 + £35p/m (£720 total contract cost for 12 months)

What more are you expecting? It's new internals, LTE, larger screen and improved camera? We're at the point with cell phones that nothing will ever be revolutionary anymore, just refinements of previous designs.

That's really, super, incredibly, stagnant thinking

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
O2 retail prices:

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5/retail

xGSiG.png

Woot! On to processing and changed my shipping address and the ship date is still the 21st. Having to be at work for 2am actually was a good thing.

Haribo

Banned
Man, you guys in the US get properly ripped off. Here in the UK on the Three network for £13 ($21) a month I get:

1GB Tethering
Unlimited data
Free 3 to 3 calls (2000 minutes)
5000 Texts
300 anytime, any network minutes

Doesn't seem fair, really.

magicstop

That's really, super, incredibly, stagnant thinking

So what other phone has done more? What other phone didn't follow this revision path? Where's the revolution?

The idea that a brand new, larger screen, a brand new, faster processor, twice as much memory, a totally new, absolutely improved data/power cord, new, faster wifi internals, an improved camera (building on top of one of the most beloved mobile cameras already around), compatibility with new, faster cellular data, etc., etc., etc., is somehow trivial, uninspiring, and not worth nothing is absolute rubbish. It sounds absurd, lol.

Man, you guys in the US get properly ripped off. Here in the UK on the Three network for £13 ($21) a month I get:

1GB Tethering
Unlimited data
Free 3 to 3 calls (2000 minutes)
5000 Texts
300 anytime, any network minutes

Doesn't seem fair, really.

And really bad customer service. I wouldn't touch Three even if they offered me all that for £3 a month.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Holy shit, Orange prices are so God-damn expensive. Unlimited Internet only on £51/mth? Piss off. Dread to think what their 4G prices will be like.

Just called 3, switched from Orange, phone delivered on 21st. BOOM.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oooh, does Canada get the AppleCare+ this year too?

plus a 30-pin adapter

I don't see it listed in the box for the pre-order... nobody here who pre-order earlier mentioned it. Maybe it's a UK thing?

Edit: The story is not accurate. Their source has an iupdate
Update: We have received reports that Apple has made a mistake on its website. According to official online sales representatives, Apple will NOT be including a free Lightning to 30-pin adaptor. Scroll down for updates.

GlamFM

Banned
That was amazing! Thank you.

(Sadly though if anything has any type of negative view of Apple then you're not going to get happy responses though. No senses of humor about this kind of stuff.)

Don´t think it´s actually negative - It´s just fun. At least I got the impression that the guys who made it are probably Apple fans themselves.

Ignoring the cheesiness of it all, the beats, tune and riffs are kinda catchy after a bit.

Yeah - really well made.

Gaaraz

Not sure what to do.

Orange - expensive
O2 - expensive
Vodafone - expensive
GiffGaff - no nano sims
Tesco - no prices announced, will likely be expensive
3 - crap coverage around here

Argh.

kharma45

Not sure what to do.

Orange - expensive
O2 - expensive
Vodafone - expensive
GiffGaff - no nano sims

Argh.

If it were me and I wanted an iPhone 5 I'd use my head and hold off until Giffgaff get their nano sims.

Appleman

The Rogers process was pretty swift and painless, although I was up at 5:30 in the frickin' morning doing it.

Yeah, but at least Apple will ship it right to you and you're guaranteed to have it at launch if you're in the first wave.

Works for me though, I'm always using other lines on my account to upgrade so I prefer to go in and talk to a person anyways, and last year I was roughly 150 in line and got it day one, so it bodes well for this year

Deadman

Don't really understand why anyone would pick anything except the cheapest o2 contract, everything else costs more in the long run for the same minutes/texts/data.

I guess to save on the up front price? But if you are gonna drop >£900 on a phone over 2 years surely you can afford the ~80 quid higher upfront price?

mash440

Neo Member
Not sure what to do.

Orange - expensive
O2 - expensive
Vodafone - expensive
GiffGaff - no nano sims

Argh.

Also O2 have no sign of the 12 month contract they offered on the 4S.

So what other phone has done more? What other phone didn't follow this revision path? Where's the revolution?

The idea that a brand new, larger screen, a brand new, faster processor, twice as much memory, a totally new, absolutely improved data/power cord, new, faster wifi internals, an improved camera (building on top of one of the most beloved mobile cameras already around), compatibility with new, faster cellular data, etc., etc., etc., is somehow trivial, uninspiring, and not worth nothing is absolute rubbish. It sounds absurd, lol.

BUT BUT BUT... it kinda looks the same if you blur your eyes a little, so none of that actually matters.. something something "catching up to Android" something something.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Don't really understand why anyone would pick anything except the cheapest o2 contract, everything else costs more in the long run for the same minutes/texts/data.

I guess to save on the up front price? But if you are gonna drop >£900 on a phone over 2 years surely you can afford the ~80 quid higher upfront price?

because O2 have a pitiful data cap and charge extra for stuff like Personal Hotspot.

Zeppu

BUT BUT BUT... it kinda looks the same if you blur your eyes a little, so none of that actually matters.. something something "catching up to Android" something something.

Blurring your eyes is only required to compare with samsung galaxies, not different iterations of the iPhone.

bionic77

Is it too late to pre order? And did anyone pre order using their debit card and not a credit card?
It seems that way.

Not sure if they could not make enough or if the demand went up.

I ordered at 7:30ish EST and it said shipping in 2 weeks. Now I have to decide whether or not life is still worth living. First the WiiU price and now potentially having to wait a whole week for a new iPhone?

edit: i should specify that I ordered the 32BG black model. Maybe you can still get the other versions at launch.

Zutroy

When did everyone start introducing these damn data caps? Networks are getting complacent. Every iPhone plan on all networks used to be unlimited.

Then they try and bone you Add Ons for essential stuff like Personal Hotspot. Fuck em.

Agreed, it's going to opposite way from what I expected.

As broadband got fast, it got cheaper and caps started to disappear.

As mobiles get fast, it's got more expensive and caps are getting smaller!

Makes no sense!

---------------

Anyway, I've decided what I'm going to do network wise. I'll jump on board with Three on their cheap plan. I'll stick with that till I see what Giffgaff are doing. I'll then switch to Giffgaff if they're better or just port my number over to Three if I'm happy with them.

Izick

Don´t think it´s actually negative - It´s just fun. At least I got the impression that the guys who made it are probably Apple fans themselves.

Yeah - really well made.

Let me rephrase that, anything that could be perceived as negative.

Zeth

Last year it took 22 hours for Apple to run out of launch day stock online, this year closer to 5. Probably a combination of new display + higher demand.

tralfazz

Last year it took 22 hours for Apple to run out of launch day stock online, this year closer to 5. Probably a combination of new display + higher demand.

I'd be curious to know how many people are on the even year upgrade vs. the odd year. I'd guess more on even considering how many jumped on the 4 when it came out.

andycapps

Will they deliver on 9/21? I'm considering canceling my Apple Store order and ordering with them for a discount.

Yup, my order is in. It says that they're doing their best to get orders delivered on 9/21. Probably just means it's up to Fedex or whoever they use.

undecided

This is the second year that I've gotten an email about apple not being able to charge my visa, but I don't carry a balance, the card is saved, and I have used it since then online and through the app without issue.

At least they seem to keep your place in line while you update it..

sangreal

Verizon still has all models for 9/21

but neither their website, nor apple.com will let me order it online :(. Says to call a business rep

Zeth

I'd be curious to know how many people are on the even year upgrade vs. the odd year. I'd guess more on even considering how many jumped on the 4 when it came out.

A report earlier this year claimed it was definitely the even models, citing that statistic as reason for a big sales forecast.

Top Bottom