• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

CrankyJay

Banned
Been out of contract for a while, but AT&T says I don't qualify for the subsidized price.
Wut.
Guess I have to wait until they're in stores to work this shit out.

You still qualify if you enter a new contract. Just go to a store and tell them you're going to close your account, go to a different AT&T store, and open another account to get the subsidized price. Tell them to stop wasting everyone's time.

SleazyC

Ordered! Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

So...what cases are people getting?
ibi403Ouupu8BO.png

http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-5-Co...olor=J1&start=4&cgid=apple-new-iphone-5-cases

jiggles

Banned
I ordered mine this morning from Orange (UK). I was on hold for over an hour.

I've got the confirmation texts and all, and I'm just trying to see is it sitting on my account now online, but the website's shit the bed.

Yep, it's an iPhone launch, alright.

Dany

Banned
64GB ordered via Rogers. 241 in line. Not bad considering I was 1000+ for 4S lol. Should be day one!

Were you at an actual line at a Rogers store, or on the website?

Rogers.com doesnt even load for me, its getting hammered, damn, Apple isnt loosing any steam is it?

Were you at an actual line at a Rogers store, or on the website?

Rogers.com doesnt even load for me, its getting hammered, damn, Apple isnt loosing any steam is it?

Website. I ordered it at 6:05am. Glad I did it that early cause the website is fucked.

Try this: https://www.rogers.com/web/RogersSe...rue&_pageLabel=ReserveDevice&sourceNRS=NRS_MS

It should take you directly to page reservation. (Click: Login. Click again: Should be at Reserve page).

https link is much faster for some reason.

I wonder how long until wallpapers at the correct resolution start popping up. It just occurred to me that the ones I've accumulated are now worthless/not at the right resolution.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
What a mess. Woke up too late to order through Apple so I couldn't use my $100 gift card. Went through ATT whose website was pretty much inoperable. Had to submit my order like six times to get a confirmation. Never got a confirmation e-mail it's too early to look it up by order number so, naturally, I'm worried.

The page that says whether or not you're eligible for an HUP is down though. I don't see it today.

Website. I ordered it at 6:05am. Glad I did it that early cause the website is fucked.

Try this: https://www.rogers.com/web/RogersSe...rue&_pageLabel=ReserveDevice&sourceNRS=NRS_MS

It should take you directly to page reservation. (Click: Login. Click again: Should be at Reserve page).

https link is much faster for some reason.

Yeah the page doesnt load and I dont know if im eligible for an upgrade, Im 2 years deep intro my iPhone 4 contract.

Oh well, will have to wait for Rogers to sort out their website.

Dany

Banned
Damn, I can't call to fix shipping and billing info, blah. They are too busy and won't even put me on hold.

I can do this through the website once its processing yeah?

Einbroch

Banned
To everyone worried about Verizon and checking your order status, check your eligible upgrades. It should say something about activating a device. We should be okay.

Is there anything out there that really sums up how this Lightning connector stuff is going to work? If I got straight from the iPhone 5 to the usb input on my Pioneer car stereo deck (using just the Lightning USB cable, no adapter), will I still be able to change tracks and get line out audio on the car stereo?

Ledsen

From reading the OP, it seems that the biggest differences are the new processor, the bigger screen and the better front camera? Nothing else?

x-Lundz-x

So, question for people who might be in the know.

I currently have an iPhone 4s on Sprint I got 5 months ago. If I decided to purchase an iPhone 5 for full price and replace my current phone I need to to know two things:

1. Does my Apple care move over to the my new phone?
2. Does this still count as breaking contract with my 4s?

Can't get through to sprint obviously right now, just curious if anyone has done this before and what the results were.

The page that says whether or not you're eligible for an HUP is down though. I don't see it today.

Yeah, they took down that page (and everything else from 'My Rogers' to prevent any more timeouts. Only reserve section is working at the moment.

Call them up to see when you got the contract and see if you're eligible. I (fortunately) checked mine a few days ago with a 4S so I got a rough estimation of how much do I have to pay extra for a 5.

andycapps

From reading the OP, it seems that the biggest differences are the new processor, the bigger screen and the better front camera? Nothing else?

They didn't release official specs so we'll have to wait for teardowns from the tech blogs, but you hit the main ones. Faster processor, bigger screen, better front camera, better rear camera, alleged better battery life (wait on tech blogs for that), LTE, and that's about it. It's definitely not a huge change, but they pretty much took every aspect of the 4s and improved it.

Ledsen said:
Alright. Seems I can happily keep using my 4 until next year or the year after that, then.

I think it's a pretty huge step up from the 4. From the 4S it's not quite as big of a jump, but I think when we see benchmarks, we'll see how big that leap is.

So, question for people who might be in the know.

I currently have an iPhone 4s on Sprint I got 5 months ago. If I decided to purchase an iPhone 5 for full price and replace my current phone I need to to know two things:

1. Does my Apple care move over to the my new phone?
2. Does this still count as breaking contract with my 4s?

Can't get through to sprint obviously right now, just curious if anyone has done this before and what the results were.

1. Apple care doesn't transfer over, if I am correct. It's phone to phone.
2. You are still under contract whether you buy iPhone 5 at full price or not. To break the contract, you have to pay for "early cancellation fee" which is pretty much close to (or at times more than) the price of 4S when you originally purchased it.

If you want to break your contract, you better be ready to sell your 4S and see if the money you're getting is worth breaking contract for i.e. breaking even.

Ordered it online about 5 minutes ago through verizon. seamlessly
I'm wondering why store pickup wasnt an option though. well whatever. lol

Wiz

After entering my info for a new account on Sprints website, I'm stuck with this message:

"Please wait until your order is processed. Do not close your browser or hit the Back button during this process."

It's been at this for a couple hours now. What do I do?

Ledsen

I think it's a pretty huge step up from the 4. From the 4S it's not quite as big of a jump, but I think when we see benchmarks, we'll see how big that leap is.

I'm sure it's huge performance-wise, but for my needs, the 4 more than enough. I'm mainly concerned with the software side of things anyway, and might switch to Android with my next phone since iOS is getting a bit boring :)

After entering my info for a new account on Sprints website, I'm stuck with this message:

"Please wait until your order is processed. Do not close your browser or hit the Back button during this process."

It's been at this for a couple hours now. What do I do?

Open a new window and start over

ledsen said:
I'm sure it's huge performance-wise, but for my needs, it's more than enough. I'm mainly concerned with the software side of things anyway, and might switch to Android with my next phone since iOS is getting a bit boring :)

Performance upgrade from 4 to 4S wasn't very noticeable to the average user, but some games came out (like Jurassic Park Builder) that barely run on iPhone4 but run smoothly on my 4S.

I think we can expect the same with the new benchmarks on the 5

Top Bottom