• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

X-Frame

I want to grab an extra Lightning to USB Cable for work, but the shipping estimates are now at 2-3 weeks.

I probably will have much better luck walking into an Apple Store and just picking it up right? Not on release day, but a few days after.

Zeth

I haven't physically synced with iTunes in over a year. The stuff on my macbook is totally different and I don't want to download everything, it's a total mess. I do iCloud backups from my phone though, so that should restore directly to my new phone just as it is now, right?

I want to grab an extra Lightning to USB Cable for work, but the shipping estimates are now at 2-3 weeks.

I probably will have much better luck walking into an Apple Store and just picking it up right? Not on release day, but a few days after.

Yeah I'd say so.

iammeiam

Woke up and Apple did fix my shipping date--my 'reserve' order went from two weeks while processing to delivers on the 21st once processed. So good on them for that.

Interesting that AT&T is promising by launch so far after Apple sold out.

andycapps

After entering my info for a new account on Sprints website, I'm stuck with this message:

"Please wait until your order is processed. Do not close your browser or hit the Back button during this process."

It's been at this for a couple hours now. What do I do?

That's not normal. Mine went through in about 5-10 seconds from that screen. I'd say close it out and try again. You can always confirm via your order history or some such on their site. If you didn't get a confirmation in your email, I'd assume you're pretty much 100% that it didn't go through already.

I'm sure it's huge performance-wise, but for my needs, the 4 more than enough. I'm mainly concerned with the software side of things anyway, and might switch to Android with my next phone since iOS is getting a bit boring :)

I'm actually making the opposite switch as I want to try something new. Jelly Bean does look very nice though.

def sim

so i can't change anything with my billing over email and the phone number provided by apple is completely busy

i guess i have to wait until west coast goes to work

Appleman

Does anyone know if it was possible to nab a lightning-30pin adapter standalone this morning? I preordered with Rogers but I should have checked that out. I'm a little concerned about the vague "October" timeline.

Aesthet1c

Man Apple's site is getting so hammered right now. I'm trying to update my order payment and shipping info, and it's barely working. I hope it's taking all these changes and I don't screw up my order somehow..

Just ordered 32gb (because I am a chump).

2weeks :)

I wanted 32GB (64GB is too much for me as I learned from my 64GB 4S) but I was so startled when I woke up and my friend messaged that you can only order 16GB that the moment I saw that Fido only offers 16GB but Rogers offer all 3 sizes, I picked 64GB.

2 hours later, I realized what I did. Too late to cancel as I'll be out of the queue. Oh well!

Woke up and Apple did fix my shipping date--my 'reserve' order went from two weeks while processing to delivers on the 21st once processed. So good on them for that.

Interesting that AT&T is promising by launch so far after Apple sold out.

Mine still says 2 weeks :/

PSGames

Damn I'm really getting nervous now. I ordered last night maybe 30 to 40 minutes after preorders started and my order status is still "processing".... It would suck if I didn't make the launch batch!

Anyone else from last night still say processing?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I was planning on just reducing the amount of music I carry and moving to 16gb.

But since our son was born I take a ton more pics and vids with my phone so I just stuck with 32. I will still end up reducing the music I carry in favor of space for pictures

x-Lundz-x

1. Apple care doesn't transfer over, if I am correct. It's phone to phone.
2. You are still under contract whether you buy iPhone 5 at full price or not. To break the contract, you have to pay for "early cancellation fee" which is pretty much close to (or at times more than) the price of 4S when you originally purchased it.

If you want to break your contract, you better be ready to sell your 4S and see if the money you're getting is worth breaking contract for i.e. breaking even.

Oh yeah my 4s is going up on eBay as soon as I have the 5 in my hand. I'm just curious if I still have to pay an early cancellation fee since I would be buying the new phone at full price. I guess I'm just going to have to wait and go to a store when the hype dies down a little bit.

AEREC

After unsuccessfully trying to preorder on ATT last night I eventually gave up (after being locked out for too many attempts). This morning it seems I was able to place the order and get an order number but no email confirmation yet.

Im assuming I should be good.

5amshift

Banned
Already?

goophone-i50rxdp.jpg

http://android-sale.com/goophone-i5.html

Apparently creators of this "unique" phone want to challenge Apple on the IP5 patent in china. :D Good old China.

They're stupid, because the court will just look back into when Apple filed their patent..

LordCanti

That's coincidentally the same fee to activate a line. Are you out of contract by chance?

I'm on a family plan, and the two year contract on my IP4 had just run out. Are you telling me that I'm paying an additional fee for having the gall to take advantage of upgrade pricing? ><

btkadams

i have decided on black. i have always preferred the look of white, but i have had a white 4s and feel like a change.

i'll be calling my store today to reserve one. i did that last year and got it the day of release, so i think it will be better than messing around with the mail. i ALWAYS miss fedex packages.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm on a family plan, and the two year contract on my IP4 had just run out. Are you telling me that I'm paying an additional fee for having the gall to take advantage of upgrade pricing? ><

Possibly...I think it would benefit everyone to go to AT&T and say you want that waived or you'll just go to Verizon.

Oxn

Hey iphone users, or even android users, on avg how much data do you use a month?

I consider myself a tech lover but in this case i dont think ill surpass the average user.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey iphone users, or even android users, on avg how much data do you use a month?

I consider myself a tech lover but in this case i dont think ill surpass the average user.

I was keeping an eye on my data since I knew i'd lose my unlimited plan. I stream a lot of music and podcasts on my 40 minute ride to and from work and I found I use about 2.5GB a month.

I went ahead with the 6GB plan though just to have room in case it was more.

Wiz

That's not normal. Mine went through in about 5-10 seconds from that screen. I'd say close it out and try again. You can always confirm via your order history or some such on their site. If you didn't get a confirmation in your email, I'd assume you're pretty much 100% that it didn't go through already.

Okay that worked. Hopefully I get it on the 21st! Thanks for the help.

Oxn

I was keeping an eye on my data since I knew i'd lose my unlimited plan. I stream a lot of music and podcasts on my 40 minute ride to and from work and I found I use about 2.5GB a month.

I went ahead with the 6GB plan though just to have room in case it was more.

Thanks, guess ill go with the 2GB plan then. I also have a 1hour commute each way, but will only stream music on occasions.

Also at work and Home i got Wifi, so I doubt Ill even go above 1GB.

Aesthet1c

Damn I'm really getting nervous now. I ordered last night maybe 30 to 40 minutes after preorders started and my order status is still "processing".... It would suck if I didn't make the launch batch!

Anyone else from last night still say processing?

Is anyone past the processing stage? I ordered mine last night but I had to change my billing/shipping info this morning. My order status says "processing" but under it still says "Delivers on 9/21", so I hope I'm still okay.

andycapps

Okay that worked. Hopefully I get it on the 21st! Thanks for the help.

You're welcome, I hope I get it then too. I'm assuming they'll ship them out on Wednesday or Thursday of next week and we should be able to get tracking info then. You should be able to go here and enter your order number for status.

Is anyone past the processing stage? I ordered mine last night but I had to change my billing/shipping info this morning. My order status says "processing" but under it still says "Delivers on 9/21", so I hope I'm still okay.
Everybody's orders say processing. If you got a delivery of 9/21 you are getting it on 9/21, your good.

jcm

Possibly...I think it would benefit everyone to go to AT&T and say you want that waived or you'll just go to Verizon.

I don't remember agreeing to a fee last night when I bought. It's all kind of a blur, though, and I was very happy just to get the order through. I could have agreed to just about anything.

Woke up at 4am (thanks, baby!), shipping was already at 2 weeks. Looks like a popular item!

Now I have to decide if I want to camp. Bleh.

The carriers still have them for day one.

some iPhone 5 reviews:

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/...ressions-it-doesnt-look-it-but-its-incredible
iPhone 5 review: (AAPL) Apple iPhone 5 hands on impressions: It doesn't look it, but it's incredible

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/...esnt-look-it-but-its-incredible#ixzz26SP9ULXH

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/technology/reviews/view.bg?articleid=1061160356
It didn’t take long to conclude that Jobs would have been delighted with the iPhone 5’s blend of beauty, utility and versatility.

http://www.autoomobile.com/news/iphone-5-review-3/1002935/
Overall, the iPhone 5 is a decent step up from the iPhone 4S. It brings a (slightly) larger display and LTE speeds while keeping battery life in check. However it isn’t exactly revolutionary as these features have been on other smartphones for a while now and the design of the iPhone 5 is still very similar to the 2010 iPhone 4.

Oh yeah my 4s is going up on eBay as soon as I have the 5 in my hand. I'm just curious if I still have to pay an early cancellation fee since I would be buying the new phone at full price. I guess I'm just going to have to wait and go to a store when the hype dies down a little bit.

No, you won't have to. The contract is for 4S. If you sell 4S, that is entirely your choice. If you buy 5 for full price, your contract stays and you won't pay any cancellation fee.

You only pay cancellation fee if:

1. You change carrier;
2. You decide to break the contract by letting them know you want no contract;
3. You want a new phone and don't want to pay full price.

Good luck! :D

You can walk to any electronic store that sells apple accessories and will be able to get the cable.

Wiz

You're welcome, I hope I get it then too. I'm assuming they'll ship them out on Wednesday or Thursday of next week and we should be able to get tracking info then. You should be able to go here and enter your order number for status.

Cool. I'll keep an eye on the shipping. It seems like they aren't making any promises about the date though.

KingGondo

Banned
I wasn't expecting "dancing mermaids and golden blowjobs" (thanks SmokyDave) from the iPhone 5 presentation but it should be a nice upgrade nonetheless from my 4.

Preordered this morning via AT&T, says it'll arrive the 21st.

Pretty excited. :)

Apple site can't find my order when i try to check the status, but there is a charge on my credit card. I ordered this morning at like 3:10, very smooth no hiccups.

not panicking, not panicking.

TaKeRx

So i guess I'm stuck with my apple order for an Oct. 5 delivery date.

AT&T is telling me that i can no longer upgrade when i went to their site to preorder....

SuperPac

32GB Black AT&T ordered. 9/21 delivery date!

Just have to change the shipping address to work whenever Apple's order status page decides to let me.

Pretty painless this year - just had a few errors/retries before everything went through.

Cloudy

Banned
i have decided on black. i have always preferred the look of white, but i have had a white 4s and feel like a change.

Same here. White was cool until everyone had one. Also, I feel black is better for watching stuff in a dimly-lit area. I would so buy a blue iphone though :p

LordCanti

We'll ship your preordered items when they become available. All other items in your order will ship when they're available.

I think this means that I'll get an iPhone 5 when hell freezes over.

Yeah, I'll be calling them. With 3 pre-ordered iPhones, that is over $100 just in activation fees. That's bulllllllllshit.

Now that most of us have the phone, what cases are you guys looking into? Anything for a simple, basic and clean case yet?

I'm going straight to Vaja for a $300 case.

I'll get the cheapest, most low profile rubber case from belkin/griffin/etc.

andycapps

Cool. I'll keep an eye on the shipping. It seems like they aren't making any promises about the date though.

Mine says that the iPhone is waiting in their warehouse with my name on it, and excluding extreme circumstances, they'll do their best to have it in my hands next Friday. I wouldn't worry too much. I think the main bottleneck will be whether the shipment carriers can keep up with deliveries.

Prologue

*I have an iphone 4gs

I played with my old evo 4g yesterday due to battery issues. I think apple should have made the phone wider. I don't agree with the argument about not being able to use one hand if it was made wider. I was still able to type and do whatever I wanted with one hand on the evo.

Top Bottom