• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Future

Is anyone past the processing stage? I ordered mine last night but I had to change my billing/shipping info this morning. My order status says "processing" but under it still says "Delivers on 9/21", so I hope I'm still okay.

Yeah I will be pissed if mine doesn't get confirmed. I ordered at around 12:20, and got the processing email but nothing else yet. Apples site is fucked cuz whenever I try to view my order history I get a "we're sorry" screen.

KingGondo

Banned
*I have an iphone 4gs

I played with my old evo 4g yesterday due to battery issues. I think apple should have made the phone wider. I don't agree with the argument about not being able to use one hand if it was made wider. I was still able to type and do whatever I wanted with one hand on the evo.
There are lots of people with small hands. My wife, for example. The current iPhone is the perfect width for her hand.

Vard

I have a question that maybe someone knows the answer to.

I was planning on buying the iPhone 5 at full price through AT&T (I have a 4S now), but I've got a family member who owns a 3GS that could upgrade for a discount ($299 for a 32GB). They weren't planning on buying a 5 at all.

Can I buy the iPhone 5 using their account, and change it so that their iPhone 5 is my number? Then I would give them my 4S to use as their new phone. I think the SIM cards are different for all phones in question - would there be any fees associated with swapping SIM cards in-store at either the Apple Store (not sure if they can help here) or an AT&T Store?

Talon

Ordered via AT&T's site. Says by next Friday but doesn't guarantee it.

The silly thing is the additional $36 upgrade fee. Thanks, carriers! Let me spread my cheeks!

bumpkin

Since I'm stuck at work and Best Buy doesn't open 'til 10am, I asked my wife if she could pop over there and preorder ours. I'm happy to report that she just sent me a text message a few minutes ago telling me that she was successful! What's even better is she said everyone in line was going for the 32GB model, so since we went with 64GB, we'll probably be the first ones they call when shipments arrive. I had a feeling everyone was going to flock to the mid-size model, so we went with the big one. :)

notsol337

marked forever

I was planning on buying the iPhone 5 at full price through AT&T (I have a 4S now), but I've got a family member who owns a 3GS that could upgrade for a discount ($299 for a 32GB). They weren't planning on buying a 5 at all.

Can I buy the iPhone 5 using their account, and change it so that their iPhone 5 is my number? Then I would give them my 4S to use as their new phone. I think the SIM cards are different for all phones in question - would there be any fees associated with doing that in-store at either the Apple Store (not sure if they can help here) or an AT&T Store?

They'll consider this wireless fraud. I sell phones for RadioShack, and every time someone does this to us we get charged back the full cost of the phone. I'm pretty sure that RadioShack then goes after the account holder to recover the money. You'll want to ask the manager of whatever store you get the phone from if it's something they can do or not.

I also want to clarify that this is for taking an upgrade from one account and moving the phone to another. If they're on the same account, no one cares!

Pein

Banned

Can I buy the iPhone 5 using their account, and change it so that their iPhone 5 is my number? Then I would give them my 4S to use as their new phone. I think the SIM cards are different for all phones in question - would there be any fees associated with swapping SIM cards in-store at either the Apple Store (not sure if they can help here) or an AT&T Store?

its all free, just activate the sims with what ever number. I've been going crazy activating new sims on different handsets I've bought. They don't care.

Flo_Evans

In my experience, yeah they should do that for you. They don't really care what number the contract is for, as long as you are locked into them for 2 years.

I've lost a few phones and its never a problem to go get whatever sim card I need for whatever old phone I am using until the 5 comes out. As long as I keep paying!

Cloudy

Banned

That's fine. All they care about is locking you into that 2 year deal. Anyone can use the phone

LordCanti

Ordered via AT&T's site. Says by next Friday but doesn't guarantee it.

The silly thing is the additional $36 upgrade fee. Thanks, carriers! Let me spread my cheeks!

Where does it say when the phone might be delivered? I went to the link sent to my e-mail, and it doesn't give a date.

I'm with you though; That fee is bullshit, and I'm not paying it if I can help it.

acksman

Searching through the thread to understand the Unlimited and the $5/mo for 200 text from At&T.

Should I order through the Apple site or is it safe to order through the AT&T site without having the $5/mo text option killed?

Searching through the thread to understand the Unlimited and the $5/mo for 200 text from At&T.

Should I order through the Apple site or is it safe to order through the AT&T site without having the $5/mo text option killed?
No idea about the $5 text but I was able to keep the unlimited data even ordering through Apple.

jcm

I don't understand paying hundreds of dollars for a beautiful phone and then sticking it into a case. Go naked.

They'll consider this wireless fraud. I sell phones for RadioShack, and every time someone does this to us we get charged back the full cost of the phone. I'm pretty sure that RadioShack then goes after the account holder to recover the money. You'll want to ask the manager of whatever store you get the phone from if it's something they can do or not.

I also want to clarify that this is for taking an upgrade from one account and moving the phone to another. If they're on the same account, no one cares!

Huh? My family has done this before with sprint dumb phones many times.

btkadams

so, there was no option on the apple canada website to buy a carrier specific one. does that mean i have to go to telus and buy a sim card? or does the phone come with a sim card that i just register online or something? i know shit all about unlocked phones.

Vard

I think we'll be fine. Both phones are under the same family account with AT&T, and we don't plan on leaving for another carrier.

Einbroch

Banned

No they won't. As long as you have that family member's permission, it doesn't matter. Apple only cares that they sold a phone and the carrier only cares that they extended a contract. Doesn't even need to be the same contract. Doesn't even need to be the same last name. Doesn't need to be anything.

How would people sell their phones if this was the case?

Talon

Where does it say when the phone might be delivered? I went to the link sent to my e-mail, and it doesn't give a date.

I'm with you though; That fee is bullshit, and I'm not paying it if I can help it.
"Your iPhone has been reserved and should arrive as soon as Sept 21, 2012."

Meh.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Verizon says ships by 26th. Apple says 2 weeks. I'm taking a gamble for my brother, which one should I go for?

Flo_Evans

Radioshack lol

themadhatter444

Neo Member
UGH. Got an order number after trying to submit 5+ times this morning but no confirmation e-mail. Checked back just now and it's allowing me to upgrade as if I didn't do a single thing. What gives, AT&T website? I hope I'm not screwed.

Anyone else pre-order through AT&T this morning? Did you get a confirmation e-mail or anything?

notsol337

marked forever
No they won't. As long as you have that family member's permission, it doesn't matter. Apple only cares that they sold a phone and the carrier only cares that they extended a contract. Doesn't even need to be the same contract. Doesn't even need to be the same last name. Doesn't need to be anything.

How would people sell their phones if this was the case?

After 180 days, no one cares. Inside 180 days, we get a chargeback because it is labelled as fraud. The upgrade is for that account. Carriers count that as stealing, and they charge the retailers for not catching it. Some retailers go after people for it.

In Vard's case, they're on the same family plan. AT&T isn't going to care at all. If they were on different family plans, the retailer would get a chargeback somewhere around 700 dollars to recover the ring credit given for selling the phone.

mcfrank

I went to the ATT store near me and they are saying 14-21 days after launch. Then I went to Radioshack and they won't guarantee launch day and want you to buy a $50 non-refundable gift card. Ill take my chances at the Apple store on the 21st since I have 3 Apple stores within 5 miles of me.

Talon

UGH. Got an order number after trying to submit 5+ times this morning but no confirmation e-mail. Checked back just now and it's allowing me to upgrade as if I didn't do a single thing this morning. What gives, AT&T website? I hope I'm not screwed.

Anyone else pre-order through AT&T this morning? Did you get a confirmation e-mail or anything?
Yeah, I got a confirmation email. I went about ordering it one way, and it was screwy. So I logged into my account and upgraded from there, and it worked.

Christopher

I'm definitly waiting for the 5S however I will also be on agreement about the phone case. For those upgrading from the 4S to the 5 only to put an ugly cover on it...what really is the point?

LordCanti

"Your iPhone has been reserved and should arrive as soon as Sept 21, 2012."

Meh.

Oh, yeah, I got the same message when I pre-ordered at 6 am (4 pacific) this morning.

UGH. Got an order number after trying to submit 5+ times this morning but no confirmation e-mail. Checked back just now and it's allowing me to upgrade as if I didn't do a single thing. What gives, AT&T website? I hope I'm not screwed.

I got a confirmation number through e-mail, but the order can't be found on AT&T's site.

Einbroch

Banned
After 180 days, no one cares. Inside 180 days, we get a chargeback because it is labelled as fraud. The upgrade is for that account. Carriers count that as stealing, and they charge the retailers for not catching it. Some retailers go after people for it.

In Vard's case, they're on the same family plan. AT&T isn't going to care at all. If they were on different family plans, the retailer would get a chargeback somewhere around 700 dollars to recover the ring credit given for selling the phone.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I've never, ever heard of that. I've sold iPhones from our account (five phones, three people don't care about upgrades at all) the same day I've picked them up from the Verizon store.

Is anyone past the processing stage? I ordered mine last night but I had to change my billing/shipping info this morning. My order status says "processing" but under it still says "Delivers on 9/21", so I hope I'm still okay.

Same boat.

notsol337

marked forever
I'm not calling you a liar, but I've never, ever heard of that. I've sold iPhones from our account (five phones, three people don't care about upgrades at all) the same day I've picked them up from the Verizon store.

I'm not sure how Verizon corporate deals with that from their stores, but I know that they charge third party retailers back. It's a pretty stupid policy. As long as the contract has been extended and no one is trying to get more than one phone per line, I don't really see an issue. The carriers do, though! I hate turning sales down when people tell me this is what they want to do.

Jin

Can anyone check their order status at the Apple.com site? It said ""Something is wrong with your request. Please try again later". I'm trying to change my shipping address.

VPhys

Really? Because when I added to cart, here's what I got:

iVSdaGgVbUeug.png

200 messages alive and well for me :-/

Where did $449 come from? If that is the price on no contract fantastic, but I know that's too good to be true.

Mairu

Where did $449 come from? If that is the price on no contract fantastic, but I know that's too good to be true.

He probably bought a 4S last year so that's the upgrade price he gets. Discounted, but not the same as out of contract.

Can anyone check their order status at the Apple.com site? It said ""Something is wrong with your request. Please try again later". I'm trying to change my shipping address.
Same issue here, i've been calling every few minutes when I get a break at work :/

Koyuga

I don't understand paying hundreds of dollars for a beautiful phone and then sticking it into a case. Go naked.

I've got the perfect solution: someone needs to make a case that looks exactly like the back of the phone! Then you get your protection and you get to show off your cool new device.

Damn I'm really getting nervous now. I ordered last night maybe 30 to 40 minutes after preorders started and my order status is still "processing".... It would suck if I didn't make the launch batch!

Anyone else from last night still say processing?

I got my order in last night at 3:23 eastern time. It said at the time that it delivers the 21st but I can't even get the Apple Store page to let me check my order status without getting a message saying "we're sorry, something went wrong with your request". Apple pulled the money for my order out of my checking account already, so I figure that's a good sign that I'm good to go.

DoubleTap

Apple Store app showed on confirmation that I still had unlimited and the $5 text plan.

Koyuga

Sorry but I've got another question for you guys:

Does anyone know if the $30 discount I have on upgrading a device with Verizon works at a Verizon store? Or is it only good for the Verizon website?

5amshift

Banned
I got my order in last night at 3:23 eastern time. It said at the time that it delivers the 21st but I can't even get the Apple Store page to let me check my order status without getting a message saying "we're sorry, something went wrong with your request". Apple pulled the money for my order out of my checking account already, so I figure that's a good sign that I'm good to go.

I'm in the same boat. Ordered mine at 3:35am so even though confirmation is taking a bit, we should still get ours at launch.

Only complaint I have with the bumper is that if you get a lighter color it will only last for about a week. I remember buying an orange bumper for my iPhone 4 and it went to pristine to dirty in record time.

daw840

Mine is saying the same thing when I try to log in....maybe they are just swamped.

So ATT wanted to charge me $475 after all was said and done.

If I switch to sprint they want $275 up front, but will give me $150 credit for my iphone 4.

ATT has a $205 cancellation fee.

Help me please....................................

Which plan are you all choosing with Sprint????

Top Bottom