• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

andycapps

So ATT wanted to charge me $475 after all was said and done.

If I switch to sprint they want $275 up front, but will give me $150 credit for my iphone 4.

ATT has a $205 cancellation fee.

Help me please....................................

Which plan are you all choosing with Sprint????

Where are you located? I have the simply everything family plan, or something like that.

And is Sprint really going to buy back a GSM phone? That wouldn't make sense.

notsol337

marked forever
So ATT wanted to charge me $475 after all was said and done.

If I switch to sprint they want $275 up front, but will give me $150 credit for my iphone 4.

ATT has a $205 cancellation fee.

Help me please....................................

Which plan are you all choosing with Sprint????

Probably the 79.99/mo plan with 450 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text, and unlimited mobile to mobile calling. Also, look for a discount on your plan. There's a billion of them! No sense in not getting one.

jcm

Frankly I care about the protection, and not about showing it off. But that's just me.

I don't think it's possible to show off with a commodity device owned by millions. It's a phone, not a ferrari. The reason to keep it out of a case is because it's pretty.

I've got the perfect solution: someone needs to make a case that looks exactly like the back of the phone! Then you get your protection and you get to show off your cool new device.

:)

I assume they are, they asked me what carrier etc...... and had ATT as an option, so they know what it is.

Should I switch. Also thanks for the Plan advice. $79.99 it is.

andycapps

I assume they are, they asked me what carrier etc...... and had ATT as an option, so they know what it is.

Should I switch. Also thanks for the Plan advice. $79.99 it is.

I switched from AT&T 2 1/1 years ago and have no regrets. I was asking what city you're in to see if LTE was live there yet, or if it was coming soon. You have 30 days to cancel, nothing to lose in trying. I'd recommend adding a discount like someone else said. I could probably PM you my company's discount code. I doubt they ever verify it as we're a huge corporation. I get 27% off.

notsol337

marked forever
I switched from AT&T 2 1/1 years ago and have no regrets. I was asking what city you're in to see if LTE was live there yet, or if it was coming soon. You have 30 days to cancel, nothing to lose in trying. I'd recommend adding a discount like someone else said. I could probably PM you my company's discount code. I doubt they ever verify it as we're a huge corporation. I get 27% off.

http://www.sprint.com/verify They check D:

There's still a million discounts, though. 10% if you bank with a credit union and no activation fees to boot, and I think they're still running the 100 dollar bill credit if you port in a number with a credit union discount...

Los Angeles. The west Side more specifically.

Please PM me. That would be awesome!!!!

Cudder

My gifriend pre ordered on the Rogers site this morning and is #2413 in line. LOL.

Is that number for Rogers across Canada or just for that store? Any possible way she'll get it day 1?

Tobor

I went ahead and preordered from Apple with the 2 weeks estimate. I don't want to run around on the 21st, so I'll wait an extra week. Not a world ending delay.

andycapps

http://www.sprint.com/verify They check D:

There's still a million discounts, though. 10% if you bank with a credit union and no activation fees to boot, and I think they're still running the 100 dollar bill credit if you port in a number with a credit union discount...

Ah, yeah if they check your email address that wouldn't work.

Los Angeles. The west Side more specifically.

Please PM me. That would be awesome!!!!

Guess my discount wouldn't help you as they'll verify your email address at the company. Los Angeles is on the list of where they're in the process of converting those old sites to "Network Vision" towers and turning on LTE. It's probably not anywhere near 100%, but it should continually get better in the coming months.

AEREC

When i preorderd my iPhone through AT&T I selected a family voice plan (550 minutes a month) and a separate data plan. Now I see a an unlimitied talk and text plan with 6GB of shared data for only $10 more than what my current plan is.

Will AT&T let me change the plan once my iphone comes in?

SourSamo

My gifriend pre ordered on the Rogers site this morning and is #2413 in line. LOL.

Is that number for Rogers across Canada or just for that store? Any possible way she'll get it day 1?

I just preordered one from the Rogers site, Position 3893 lol

I switched away from ATT and went with Sprint. My order went through. Supposed to get it by Next Friday.

Feels Good Man. Next Week Do I have to notify ATT, or will Sprint do that for me since I requested to keep my old number and stuff?

andycapps

I switched away from ATT and went with Sprint. My order went through. Supposed to get it by Next Friday.

Feels Good Man. Next Week Do I have to notify ATT, or will Sprint do that for me since I requested to keep my old number and stuff?

You don't have to do anything. Sprint will take care of that for you. I had the same nervousness you did when I left AT&T. Turned out to be a really smooth process and I have no complaints. No clue how Sprint is in Los Angeles. I looked at their network coverage and there's just a blanket of towers over the city, and there obviously would be with how huge the population is. But wow, I can't imagine rolling out a new network and having to convert that many towers.

You don't have to do anything. Sprint will take care of that for you. I had the same nervousness you did when I left AT&T. Turned out to be a really smooth process and I have no complaints. No clue how Sprint is in Los Angeles. I looked at their network coverage and there's just a blanket of towers over the city, and there obviously would be with how huge the population is. But wow, I can't imagine rolling out a new network and having to convert that many towers.

You have been really cool. Thanks for your help.

Will ATT send me a final bill including cancellation fee?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One question...

If I were to move to Europe sometime in the next 6 months would it be possible to simply buy a new plan and use a new sim the iPhone 5 I bring from the States?

So what's with the Lightning cables being only USB 2.0? Doesn't that kind of defeat at least some of the purpose?

=/
Apple's computers don't support USB3.0, right? Perhaps that's the reason.

numble

One question...

If I were to move to Europe sometime in the next 6 months would it be possible to simply buy a new plan and use a new sim the iPhone 5 I bring from the States?

Buy it unlocked and its guaranteed to work on GSM networks there.

AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint do unlocks, but they have different requirements. @chronic on Twitter seems to unlock any of those phones for a fee.

LTE isn't very widespread there, and you'll need to check if the LTE bands are compatible.

Struct09

When i preorderd my iPhone through AT&T I selected a family voice plan (550 minutes a month) and a separate data plan. Now I see a an unlimitied talk and text plan with 6GB of shared data for only $10 more than what my current plan is.

Will AT&T let me change the plan once my iphone comes in?

Probably. They had no problem letting me change my text plan after I ordered my iPhone 4.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Tiny Tower is ready.

YQeGu.jpg

I think I'm gonna wait till there's some decent minimal cases for this phone. As much as I'd like to go naked so as to not fuck up the thinness/design, I'd be too paranoid about the surfaces I'm putting it on, dropping it, etc.

Yes, and phone definitely looks like it will be a catastrophic failure. 1 hr to sell out of pre-orders, compared to 22 hrs for the 4S, which just happened to become the best selling smartphone in history. The sales of this phone will make the 4S look like a joke in comparison.

One question...

Not since ivy bridge. Now its only iMacs that don't.

giga

So what's with the Lightning cables being only USB 2.0? Doesn't that kind of defeat at least some of the purpose?

=/
It's not a limitation of the lightning interface, since it supports multiple protocols. Likely they haven't made a cable yet because it's unnecessary. The nand flash used in these devices still hit just 20 MB/s. When I/O performance is greater than 30 MB/s (real world speed of USB 2.0) is probably when we'll see 3.0 cables.

andycapps

You have been really cool. Thanks for your help.

Will ATT send me a final bill including cancellation fee?

You're welcome, AT&T should send you a final bill for that. There's actually some local stores that aren't official Sprint stores, but they're Preferred Wireless or something like that.. Sometimes they'll be doing a promo to give you a $150 credit if you switch from another carrier. But I don't know if they're doing that currently, or if they have stores in LA, or if you'd even be able to pre-order this with them.

Apple GAF is best GAF.

One last question. If the phone is set to arrive "Next Friday"
and I am switching over my number, When should I expect my ATT 4 to be cut off?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I'm like 1000, they still say up until October 4th

Apple says October 9th too... I don't know which to cancel lol

jcm

=/

They've really handled the whole thing poorly. The pricing on the cables and adapters is extortionate. If you're going to obsolete so much of my stuff (including the dual dock I bought for my 6 month old ipad), at least make an effort to make it as painless as possible. Instead, they decided to fatten up on it, as if they aren't already making a ton of money off us. It has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Tobor

The MBPR has USB 3.0. It will phase in to the rest of the Mac line during the next series of refreshes. The reason the cable is still 2.0 is:

It's not a limitation of the lightning interface, since it supports multiple protocols. Likely they haven't made a cable yet because it's unnecessary. The nand flash used in these devices still hit just 20 MB/s. When I/O performance is greater than 30 MB/s (real world speed of USB 2.0) is probably when we'll see 3.0 cables.

This. Why bother when no one can take advantage of it?

jcm

This. Why bother when no one can take advantage of it?

So that the $30 cable you buy today works at full speed in two years? Is that too much to ask? Having to remember which cable is the fast one for your iPhone 6 is stupid.

Mario007

Can I ask, and without trying to sound like a troll, why does anyone want to upgrade to iPhone 5 from iPhone 4S, considering how expensive the new phone is and how much of little improvement it is?

AEREC

So atm,who still got it for launch day?

Anybody order from AT&T recently?

Ordered from AT&T this morning an hour and a half ago (last night was a clusterfuck) and all seems to have gone through ok. Got an email confirmation that my order has been received and processing and that I should receive my iPhone on the 21st.

sangreal

Can I ask, and without trying to sound like a troll, why does anyone want to upgrade to iPhone 5 from iPhone 4S, considering how expensive the new phone is and how much of little improvement it is?

4g? it certainly makes more sense than the people that upgraded from a 4 to 4S

AEREC

More screen space and a processor that's twice as fast sounds like a big improvement to me. I'm upgrading from a 4S but it's only because it was a company phone and I had to give it back when I quit.

For people with shipping issues: I was able to easily change the shipping address through my open orders menu on Apple.com

Also, my card got charged ;-)

ChanHuk

Banned

Why would I upgrade from a Galaxy SII to a Galaxy SIII? Little difference. This question comes up every year I swear.

More screen space and a processor that's twice as fast sounds like a big improvement to me. I'm upgrading from a 4S but it's only because it was a company phone and I had to give it back when I quit.

The iPhone 4S was twice as fast as the iPhone 4 and I did not really see a lot of people in my surrounding get that, so that is barely something to buy a new €700 phone for. People will want more improvements to bring that amount of money on the table, especially in these times.

Soybean

While I would never recommend blowing money to break contract to go from 4S --> 5, with the crazy slim case, battery life, LTE, in-cell touch LCD, etc. it's a far more logical upgrade than 4 --> 4S.

btkadams

i ordered around 8 hours after they started doing preorders. i wonder if i'll even get mine on launch. i don't really care, but it would be nice! i ordered a black 64gb, so maybe that one isn't as commonly preordered as the others.

Flo_Evans

The iPhone 4S was twice as fast as the iPhone 4 and I did not really see a lot of people in my surrounding get that, so that is barely something to buy a new €700 phone for. People will want more improvements to bring that amount of money on the table, especially in these times.

and yet it already sold out. People seem to forget that not everyone is on a 4s. There are ALLOT of 4, 3gs, and 3g users out there.

Top Bottom