• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Sean

Banned
No clue, but out of curiosity why iOS 2? My 1st gen touch is on 3.1.3

edit: oh wait, they started charging for updates back then, right?

Yeah it's a combination of him being paranoid about software updates and I think iOS 3 is (or was?) a $10 paid update for Touch users. So he's never updated the OS yet.

My parents went to the local AT&T store and the employee told them it wouldn't be possible to transfer stuff from his iPod touch to a new iPhone, but most of those employees don't know anything so I'm not sure I'd trust that.

PandaJones

Unconfirmed Member
So, UK iPhone GAF ... I ordered my new unlocked 5 from the Apple store this morning. I wasn't given the option of a carrier/network, will I receive a sim card with my phone? Anyone know how this goes?
I'm correctly with o2 rocking a geriatric 3GS. I'll go and have a chat with them tomorrow and see if they can hook me up with a nano-sim by the 21st.

Holy Wars

Banned
So, UK iPhone GAF ... I ordered my new unlocked 5 from the Apple store this morning. I wasn't given the option of a carrier/network, will I receive a sim card with my phone? Anyone know how this goes?
I'm correctly with o2 rocking a geriatric 3GS. I'll go and have a chat with them tomorrow and see if they can hook me up with a nano-sim by the 21st.

It won't come with a SIM. You'll need to see o2.

Wireless cooking

tumblr_m2jo3auME71qcjgv5.gif

fixed

got a 4S on launch day so I'm not eligible for an upgrade... I'll just wait for the 5S I like being on the cycle of the refined version anyways.

I lost my 4... and went back to this:

walkman_phone_2.jpg

5 is going to melt my brain

oh man i had that like 6 years ago! i really liked the phone until one day it broke down on me. since i had the orange faceplate on it i always turned heads with it, and i loved how it rotated to reveal the keypad.

Meier

Can anyone who is still on AT&T's Unlimited plan explain the charges for me?

Your new device requires a different Data Add-on Plan than you currently have. We selected a compatible Data Add-on Plan for you. If you had an unlimited data plan, you will receive a compatible unlimited data plan. If you want a different plan, you can change the Data Add-on Plan by selecting Change here or from within myAT&T after you receive and activate your new device.

They have the one time charge and the "monthly charges" which only shows my data plan. This isn't going to be an additional fee on the data right? I'll keep my same unlimited plan and cost but it has a new name so it shows as a new charge so to speak?

Flo_Evans

oh man i had that like 6 years ago! i really liked the phone until one day it broke down on me. since i had the orange faceplate on it i always turned heads with it, and i loved how it rotated to reveal the keypad.

I was quite surprised it fired up. I actually like the form factor as a phone better than the iphone... much easier to hold and much better speakers. Feels like a lump of shit in your pocket though :p

Husker86

Yes. No compression.

On your computer they're full resolution. On an iOS device they're downsized.

Sounds good. I went with the 32GB so I'm not too worried about space, but I really liked the auto Dropbox upload of all my photos/videos with Android.

If I delete a photo on my phone will it remain in photostream? If not I guess I could just copy over every week or so.

edit: Oh, nevermind! I see on my iPad that iOS Dropbox supports photo upload too so I'll just do that.

Sounds good. I went with the 32GB so I'm not too worried about space, but I really liked the auto Dropbox upload of all my photos/videos with Android.

If I delete a photo on my phone will it remain in photostream? If not I guess I could just copy over every week or so.

edit: Oh, nevermind! I see on my iPad that iOS Dropbox supports photo upload too so I'll just do that.

You have a Mac or PC? Use photostream and it will auto save the file to your computer. On a mac you just use iPhoto, on a PC you download the iCloud app.

Dragnet

I had a 3G which broke not long before the 4S was announced (was running like SHIT at that point) so I back-pedalled and rebought an old favourite from my early teens..

nokia3510i.gif

That broke literally this week, perfect timing!

So yeah, the 5 is gonna melt my face.

Holy Wars

Banned
So I had to pay with a bank transfer. For some reason my debit card kept getting flagged by my bank as potential fraud when I tried to buy the phone.

I know it's unlikely because this situation is so stupid, but has anyone ever preordered a phone from Apple via bank transfer? If so, did you get it day 1? It takes 3-5 for the payment to transfer, so I'm worried I'm basically going to be out at the back of the queue when that happens. As it stands, the order status still says next Friday, along with "awaiting payment".

Crimmy

Was able to go into a radio shack in an area no one thought about and was able to get a black 32gb AT&T. Seems like this is gonna be a really big item as usual. Do people usually scalp these? I'm keeping mine but I'm curious to know how much these new iphones usually go for around launch date.

Flo_Evans

I had a 3G which broke not long before the 4S was announced (was running like SHIT at that point) so I back-pedalled and rebought an old favourite from my early teens..

nokia3510i.gif

That broke literally this week, perfect timing!

So yeah, the 5 is gonna melt my face.

Damn, I think you win biggest jump. Does that thing even have data?

I've been out of the loop the last few days but why is the iPhone 5 unlocked $50 more than the 4S was? 4S was $649 on launch day and the 5 is $699. In Canada btw. That's really shitty. I was probably going to cave sometime this week if it weren't for just seeing that price increase.

Yeah, massive turn-off for me also. Considering the Canadian dollar is STRONGER than the US dollar, it's complete bullshit, and makes no sense. The 4S was $649, there's no reason whatsoever to increase the price relative to the US. At the current rate, $649 US is $630 Canadian. Yet we get it for $700. Bullshit.

Some Androids have been rocking 1GB of RAM for almost two years now... with some already on 2GB.

And.. who cares? It will run like oiled butter, and individual specs are pretty irrelevant in this day and age, it's the whole package and how it interacts with the OS.

The Galaxy Note 10.1 has 2GB RAM and a super fast CPU. And runs like shit. Lag, stuttering, etc. I'm pretty sure the iPhone 5 will be more responsive than anything to be released in the next year and easily hold it's own. Hell, I've used all flagship Android devices and the 4S still feels fastest/smoothest.

border

Yeah, massive turn-off for me also. Considering the Canadian dollar is STRONGER than the US dollar, it's complete bullshit, and makes no sense. The 4S was $649, there's no reason whatsoever to increase the price relative to the US. At the current rate, $649 US is $630 Canadian. Yet we get it for $700. Bullshit.

Apple still doesn't seem to have announced iPhone 5 pricing in the USA. I'm beginning to worry that it's going to be $699 here too.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Neat. All the Canadian carriers will be supporting the LTE "wide band audio"

Bell and telus right away, Rogers in a couple months

I may be in the minority, but after two versions of the iPhone I have never talked and did data access at the same time. I am currently switching from AT&T to Verizon because to me 4G LTE in my area (Philadelphia) is taking precedence then talking and doing data access as the same time.

I mean if the LTE is available on one carrier and not the other then I definitely agree 100% or if one carriers LTE is substantially better than the other.

In my building in NYC AT&T shits on Verizon for LTE. My coworkers ipad gets maybe 2mb down while my coworker on AT&T LTE w/ his Note is getting like 20mb down. Of course this could and most likely will change substantially after the iPhone 5 launches in midtown....

But I also like the idea that I can use HSPA+ as a fall back. I don't really "need" LTE when I'm home. But at work? Definitely. I also user voice and data a lot. Especially when talking to a buddy via bluetooth and browsing the web at the same time. Very comfortable.

evil ways

Puerto Rico fucking sucks. We have no Apple Stores, plus neither Apple nor AT&T ship here. So I was stuck pre-ordering at my local AT&T store, paying the $199 up front and having to wait 2 weeks for it to be delivered to my house. That's right, no iphone for me on launch day.

Guy told me that supposedly due to the high demand and to avoid lines or large crowds that they would ship the phones directly to customers. Funny thing is their website does not allow to place orders and ship them to PR, it just directs you to your local AT&T retailer. The extra 1-2 weeks? Well that's the cheap ass, economy shipping method they are using for PR. Never had a problem when I bought my 3GS or my wife's 4 at launch.

Tabris

I took next Friday off. Now the big question is do I line up at 6am or 8am? Apple Store in Pacific Centre will be my target. Stores open at 8am for the launch.

I'm torn as iPhone 4S, I was able to line up at 3:30pm and still get a phone, while the iPhone 4 I had to line up at 6am (for an 11am opening)... not at launch but 2 months later. Is this going to be a 4S launch (stocked) or a 4 launch (too much demand)?

So I was able to get upgrade pricing by using someone's upgrade on my family plan (not my number).

When the device comes, how can I make sure my account becomes active and not the other persons?

elsk

Banned
Puerto Rico fucking sucks. We have no Apple Stores, plus neither Apple nor AT&T ship here. So I was stuck pre-ordering at my local AT&T store, paying the $199 up front and having to wait 2 weeks for it to be delivered to my house. That's right, no iphone for me on launch day.

Guy told me that supposedly due to the high demand and to avoid lines or large crowds that they would ship the phones directly to customers. Funny thing is their website does not allow to place orders and ship them to PR, it just directs you to your local AT&T retailer. The extra 1-2 weeks? Well that's the cheap ass, economy shipping method they are using for PR. Never had a problem when I bought my 3GS or my wife's 4 at launch.

First world problems? :eek:

Tobor

I took next Friday off. Now the big question is do I line up at 6am or 8am? Apple Store in Pacific Centre will be my target. Stores open at 8am for the launch.

I'm torn as iPhone 4S, I was able to line up at 3:30pm and still get a phone, while the iPhone 4 I had to line up at 6am (for an 11am opening)... not at launch but 2 months later. Is this going to be a 4S launch (stocked) or a 4 launch (too much demand)?

6A. People will already be lining up by then. In my experience in the past(Richmond, VA Apple store), there are usually 200 people lined up by the time the store opens.

I'll be amazed if these battery numbers are anywhere near reality when this thing starts to appear in the wild next week.

iPhone 4S taught me to take apples battery claims with a grain of salt.

I'll be amazed if these battery numbers are anywhere near reality when this thing starts to appear in the wild next week.

iPhone 4S taught me to take apples battery claims with a grain of salt.

Its dat new nm. The chipset is much smaller and more power efficient. Also i've had better battery overall with iOS 6 on my 4s

Koyuga

6A. People will already be lining up by then. In my experience in the past(Richmond, VA Apple store), there are usually 200 people lined up by the time the store opens.

It will probably differ for iPhone but we lined up for iPad 3 at 10pm the night before and there were already about 1/3 of a blocks worth of people there.

border

Hell yeah, who cares about our crooked politicians, crippled health & education and the ever rising murders and crime. Gotta have my iPhone 5.

Yeah, let's discuss crooked politicians, crime, health care and education in the iPhone 5 thread! Let's not discuss our difficulty ordering the iPhone 5.

First World Problems meme needs to die.

Top Bottom