• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Its dat new nm. The chipset is much smaller and more power efficient. Also i've had better battery overall with iOS 6 on my 4s
I can't wait to get iOS 6 next week. It's still sad we've had to wait a year for battery life to get to a decent or good level as you suggest it has on iOS 6.

Using my family members S3 pretty much all day for the past two days and the battery life on that lasts way longer. Only thing is it takes way longer to charge than the 4S does.

Gaf,

Currently I have ATT and the Unlimited data plan. However, I'd like to give my current iphone4 to my gf and get the 5. How do I add her while keeping the unlimited data package?

I wish I didn't read that. :<

I never will understand the absolute HATRED that Apple and its products and users get. I like Android. I own two Android devices. It's a good OS. It has its ups and downs. But some of these people are just jumping on the "hater" bandwagon because it's cool or because they want to justify how "Not mainstream" they are.

It's fucking sad. Really sad to see people take the whole "My team vs your team" bullshit to cellular phones. Think about that. Cell phones.

They're a device. Many of them are amazing. Pick what works best for you. For me the platform is ideal compared to Android despite Android being FAR more customizable.

Flo_Evans

Gaf,

Currently I have ATT and the Unlimited data plan. However, I'd like to give my current iphone4 to my gf and get the 5. How do I add her while keeping the unlimited data package?

You continue your unlimited on the 5, give her the phone, she gets a new plan. Not sure what the off contract plans are like, you might be better signing her up for a new plan and selling the 4.

I never will understand the absolute HATRED that Apple and its products and users get. I like Android. I own two Android devices. It's a good OS. It has its ups and downs. But some of these people are just jumping on the "hater" bandwagon because it's cool or because they want to justify how "Not mainstream" they are.

It's fucking sad. Really sad to see people take the whole "My team vs your team" bullshit to cellular phones. Think about that. Cell phones.

They're a device. Many of them are amazing. Pick what works best for you. For me the platform is ideal compared to Android despite Android being FAR more customizable.

Hard truth: The internet (especially comment sections) is filled with lonely, anti-social, societal rejects that hate their lives, possibly have deep psychological issues, trouble connecting with other human beings, and therefore use the internet as their outlet, expressing rage and emotion towards things not worthy of such vitriol, so they can feel they're part of some 'team' with other like minded individuals, by inventing fictitious foes and mocking others, which, for a brief amount of time, makes them forget about their self-hatred and gives them purpose. Apple and their products is an obvious taget for this, because of their popularity with the mass public (ie. the public they can't connect with) and the positive emotions that surround Apple products, emotions that they hate. Part of it might also be due to the fact that Apple has brought down the barriers to accoplishing things with technology, whereas everyone around them can now accomplish the same things that they previously felt 'special for being able to accomplish, and it corrodates their sense of self-worth. In short, they hate happiness, joy, and wish to see it sucked out of everyone else, and feel severe spite for the company that is responsible for this joy. I know someone in real life that utterly despises Apple, and his reasons are pretty depressing, as is his general psychology.

'Open', 'options' and other such bullshit are just weak justifications for their hate, masking the above.

I'm not referring to the people who may prefer other Oses/phones, for rational reasons. I'm referring to those that literally HATE, which is something else entirely.

Just my 2 cents.

IllumiNate

Placed an order for the 64g White iphone 5 on Telus.ca. Says it will arrive September 28th :(
Hopefully it arrives sooner, but yeah I've signed my life away for 3 years. Atleast it's an unlocked 64g iphone for only $390

AEREC

Then how did so many people buy it this morning online? I bought one this morning, seven hours after it went on sale and was able to get a 64gb through AT&T with a ship date of the 21st.

Eh...never mind...after checking my status later in the day in now says my order has been cancelled...thanks AT&T.

rozay

Banned
I highly recommend this if you don't have unlimited data:

http://www.onavo.com/
Is this like an opera mini service where your web usage runs through their servers which compress everything? How are they profitable? The privacy portion of their site says a whole lot of nothing.

Yeah, "teams" in general are hilarious. None of these companies care about you aside for the fact that you're willing to give them money each year.

giga

Some more speculation/educated guesses regarding the a6 core: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1666551&postcount=1317

After some poking around with the new toolchain shipped with Xcode 4.5, it looks like the architecture target for A6 is armv7s, not armv7. If I compile for armv7s and ask the toolchain to just run the preprocessor and stop, I can see it defining support for VFPv4.

So that means Cortexes A5, A7 or A15 but definitely not (unless I'm missing something) Cortex A9.
The A9 doesn't support VFPv4, so that can be ruled out. The A5 is a low cost, low performance core, so that's also ruled out.

The A7 is similar to the A8 in performance, but it's far more efficient and is intended to run as a companion core (big.LITTLE), rather than the main one. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4991/...dualcore-more-power-efficient-highend-devices

Very, very interesting.
chin.gif

hirokazu

Is this like an opera mini service where your web usage runs through their servers which compress everything? How are they profitable? The privacy portion of their site says a whole lot of nothing.
Yeah, I'm curious as to how that works and potential privacy concerns.

X-Frame

I mean if the LTE is available on one carrier and not the other then I definitely agree 100% or if one carriers LTE is substantially better than the other.

In my building in NYC AT&T shits on Verizon for LTE. My coworkers ipad gets maybe 2mb down while my coworker on AT&T LTE w/ his Note is getting like 20mb down. Of course this could and most likely will change substantially after the iPhone 5 launches in midtown....

But I also like the idea that I can use HSPA+ as a fall back. I don't really "need" LTE when I'm home. But at work? Definitely. I also user voice and data a lot. Especially when talking to a buddy via bluetooth and browsing the web at the same time. Very comfortable.

Where in Midtown are you? I'm on 6th and 40th and in my building on the 21st floor my Verizon LTE iPad gets around 7-8 down and up. It's consistent and reliable all day whereas my AT&T 4S will often be under 1 down during peak hours before and after lunch and be too slow for the web.

I'm very curious how AT&T's LTE will compare.

jey_16

Banned
Hard truth: The internet (especially comment sections) is filled with lonely, anti-social, societal rejects that hate their lives, possibly have deep psychological issues, trouble connecting with other human beings, and therefore use the internet as their outlet, expressing rage and emotion towards things not worthy of such vitriol, so they can feel they're part of some 'team' with other like minded individuals, by inventing fictitious foes and mocking others, which, for a brief amount of time, makes them forget about their self-hatred and gives them purpose. Apple and their products is an obvious taget for this, because of their popularity with the mass public (ie. the public they can't connect with) and the positive emotions that surround Apple products, emotions that they hate. Part of it might also be due to the fact that Apple has brought down the barriers to accoplishing things with technology, whereas everyone around them can now accomplish the same things that they previously felt 'special for being able to accomplish, and it corrodates their sense of self-worth. In short, they hate happiness, joy, and wish to see it sucked out of everyone else, and feel severe spite for the company that is responsible for this joy. I know someone in real life that utterly despises Apple, and his reasons are pretty depressing, as is his general psychology.

'Open', 'options' and other such bullshit are just weak justifications for their hate, masking the above.

I'm not referring to the people who may prefer other Oses/phones, for rational reasons. I'm referring to those that literally HATE, which is something else entirely.

Just my 2 cents.

Your the very example of this

Aurizen

6-8X CPU & GPU processing
Better, Thinner, Larger display
Better battery
Significantly improved camera
Siri
Turn by Turn & 3D maps
4G LTE
New improved facetime Camera
Facetime over 3g/LTE
New earpods!
Overall improved design

sounds better than what i currently have, HTC HD7 its a windows phone that has nothing good about it what so ever. my phone is empty

Some more speculation/educated guesses regarding the a6 core: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1666551&postcount=1317

The A9 doesn't support VFPv4, so that can be ruled out. The A5 is a low cost, low performance core, so that's also ruled out.

The A7 is similar to the A8 in performance, but it's far more efficient and is intended to run as a companion core (big.LITTLE), rather than the main one. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4991/...dualcore-more-power-efficient-highend-devices

Very, very interesting.
chin.gif
So this basically confirms the phone uses cortex a15 right? Good :)

Flo_Evans

mjc

So I'm on AT&Ts website and when I go to upgrade to the 5, it shows that I'd have to pay $30 a month for data. I've been grandfathered in with the unlimited data so far...why is it going away now?

sikkinixx

Placed an order for the 64g White iphone 5 on Telus.ca. Says it will arrive September 28th :(
Hopefully it arrives sooner, but yeah I've signed my life away for 3 years. Atleast it's an unlocked 64g iphone for only $390

If you buy from Telus it will be locked to Telus even if you pay full price, to get unlocked you need to buy from apple.ca or their retail store. Or does Telus specifically say unlocked?

iammeiam

So I'm on AT&Ts website and when I go to upgrade to the 5, it shows that I'd have to pay $30 a month for data. I've been grandfathered in with the unlimited data so far...why is it going away now?

Why wouldn't it show $30 a month? That's the going rate for grandfathered unlimited data.

Kurdel

Banned
If you buy from Telus it will be locked to Telus even if you pay full price, to get unlocked you need to buy from apple.ca or their retail store. Or does Telus specifically say unlocked?

Only way to get unlocked is to buy directly from Apple, or else there is a 50$ unlock fee.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What speed does it throttle to? I don't think I ever actually hit 3GB on the 4.

Both my wife and I have grandfathered "unlimited". I can't decide if I want to give it up for tethering/mobile Facetime.
Not sure yet. My wife hits it occasionally, I don't since I am on wifi most of the time. Probably won't get a confirmation until someone gets throttled and does some speed tests.

rozay

Banned
Make sure your data plan says Unlimited somewhere.

Flo_Evans

Not sure yet. My wife hits it occasionally, I don't since I am on wifi most of the time. Probably won't get a confirmation until someone gets throttled and does some speed tests.

Does it kick her down to edge? I wonder if they would kick the 5 to 3G or all the way down to edge...

Flo_Evans

Fuuuuuck I am reading speed test reports for LTE here, people are getting 20Mb down 18 up. Why is this faster than my wired home connection LOL? Might have to tether the 360...

Top Bottom