• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

border

Who's the best carrier, sprint or AT&T?

All the carriers stink IMO.

Verizon has the best LTE coverage, but they are FUCKING EXPENSIVE and have data caps.

AT&T only has LTE in like 40-50 cities. The are slightly less expensive and have data caps.

Sprint has absolute shit for LTE coverage. But they have unlimited data plans at good prices.

At this point I'd say that an unlocked phone on T-Mobile is arguably the best option, assuming you can get HSPA+ (4G) reception in your area (and it's on the 1900Mhz bandwidth that the iPhone uses). Cheap and unlimited.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Ugh. I just tried to preorder a phone, but if I do, it is going to ship it to my parents' address in Tennessee. That's the address the account is under. I live in NYC though. I wonder if the Apple Stores are going to be well stocked. I might have to show up and try to get one in person.

Does anyone know...if I change our account's billing address to my address, order the iPhone, and then change it back a few days later, will that solve my problem? Or will the order's shipping address change when I change the account address back?

NYR

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

Apple Canada will NOT be selling unlocked phones on launch day in-store, maybe even launch window. Absolute bullshit.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone...ill-not-sell-unlocked-iphone-5-on-launch-day/

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/iphone/

Buy iPhone 5 with a contract at your favourite Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 21. We can help you choose the right rate plan and get you up and running. Or visit the Apple Online Store to buy an unlocked, no-contract iPhone 5.

All the carriers stink IMO.

Verizon has the best LTE coverage, but they are FUCKING EXPENSIVE and have data caps.

AT&T only has LTE in like 40-50 cities. The are slightly less expensive and have data caps.

Sprint has absolute shit for LTE coverage. But they have unlimited data plans at good prices.

At this point I'd say that an unlocked phone on T-Mobile is arguably the best option, assuming you can get HSPA+ (4G) reception in your area (and it's on the 1900Mhz bandwidth that the iPhone uses). Cheap and unlimited.

I don't really care for the extra stuff. Just a basic plan.

border

I don't really care for the extra stuff. Just a basic plan.

AT&T is probably the best if you do not mind data caps but would like to be on an LTE network in the near future. You're still looking at about $90/month for 450 minutes + 3GB of data.

Sprint is best if you want lots of data but don't care that you will be stuck at 3G speeds for the forseeable future. $80/month for 450 minutes + unlimited data.

Verizon has the best LTE coverage, but is $100/month for Unlimited Talk + 2GB of data.

Kibbles

Will the unlocked phone from the Apple Store come with a nanoSIM I can get my current SIM card from AT&T transferred to at like an AT&T store, and is it free? Or will I have to pay and/or get a new nanoSIM from AT&T? Will they even have those? Bah this is confusing me.

Tabris

Tabris

Will the unlocked phone from the Apple Store come with a nanoSIM I can get my current SIM card from AT&T transferred to at like an AT&T store, and is it free? Or will I have to pay and/or get a new nanoSIM from AT&T? Will they even have those? Bah this is confusing me.

Everything I have read so far is that Apple Store should have Nano SIM's for all the major carriers in the US and Canada, and they'll activate for you.

soldat7

AT&T is probably the best if you do not mind data caps but would like to be on an LTE network in the near future. You're still looking at about $90/month for 450 minutes + 3GB of data.

Sprint is best if you want lots of data but don't care that you will be stuck at 3G speeds for the forseeable future. $80/month for 450 minutes + unlimited data.

Verizon has the best LTE coverage, but is $100/month for Unlimited Talk + 2GB of data.

I'm a career guy making good money, yet I refuse to pay these absurd prices. I can't believe how effective these guys have been with this business model. I'll continue paying $15-20 for my flip phone and using my iPod Touch at WiFi spots while hoping for some real market competition someday.

Ugh. I just tried to preorder a phone, but if I do, it is going to ship it to my parents' address in Tennessee. That's the address the account is under. I live in NYC though. I wonder if the Apple Stores are going to be well stocked. I might have to show up and try to get one in person.

Does anyone know...if I change our account's billing address to my address, order the iPhone, and then change it back a few days later, will that solve my problem? Or will the order's shipping address change when I change the account address back?
If you are ordering through Apple, you can go in the order status screen and change your billing and shipping address. Don't know about other places but I'm sure you can.

I'm a career guy making good money, yet I refuse to pay these absurd prices. I can't believe how effective these guys have been with this business model. I'll continue paying $15-20 for my flip phone and using my iPod Touch at WiFi spots while hoping for some real market competition someday.

If you dont mind paying full price for an iPhone you have more options with pre-paid providers, but it will probably be awhile before they support LTE.

Right now on Straight Talk you can use an AT&T (GSM) iPhone and get unlimited minutes, text and data (3G) all for just $45 per month and since it uses AT&T towers it gets decent reception. The drawbacks are you dont get the subsidized price on the phone, visual voice mail doesnt work (when you tap the voice mail button it just dials into your voice mail) and not currently any LTE support, but for 45 bucks a month I can live without VVM and LTE

Oh and on Straight Talk the iPhone doesnt even need to be unlocked, you just order an "AT&T compatible" sim card from them and it works (though some configuring is needed to get data and picture messaging working)

Right now I have AT&T, but since I already have an iPhone 4S I'm going to drop them soon and use it on Straight Talk. They dont offer a nano-sim card yet, but when they do I will look into selling my 4S and buying an iPhone 5 at full price, hopefully i can at least cut the out of pocket expense in half with my 4S

rozay

Banned
There are some extra things you have to do when using an iPhone on straight talk regarding the "it just works" bit mentioned above, because the phone assumes you've inserted an at&t sim card which isn't compatible with straight talk's MMS gateway (not sure if data is also affected). I think the prepaid thread on gaf has the instructions.

Fuuuuuck I am reading speed test reports for LTE here, people are getting 20Mb down 18 up. Why is this faster than my wired home connection LOL? Might have to tether the 360...

Their ping should be way lower than your home connection. Those dnl speeds don't make a huge difference about even 5-8mbs for online. Not unless you're playing OnLive

rozay

Banned
Plan dependent?

Explain.
On AT&T, you need to have one of the new shared data plans to use it. Can't use it if you're like me and have an unlimited plan.

Another big gripe with the iPhone over my android phones, free tethering, is also an artificial AT&T restriction without paying more for a data allowance I'm already paying $30 a month for. It's really too bad T-Mobile isn't ideal for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone ever noticed that John grubers way of speaking sounds exactly like coach mcguirk from home movies?

HooYaH

I had a similar problem when I ordered. Account tied in CA, but I'm currently in WA. When my order went through, I was able to change the shipping to the address I'm currently at through Apple Online Store.

Rootbeer

Banned
Stuck with my (admittedly still awesome) 4S for another year due to contract. Roomate just told me he ordered a 5 yesterday. Goddamn, I feel jealous. At least in 12 months I get to trump him when I get the iphone 6 :d

Fjordson

If I have my current phone backed up in iTunes, when I pick up the 5 I'll be able to retrieve all that stuff, right? Contacts, apps, photos, etc. Little unclear since I've been told "restore from backup" isn't the best option with a new phone. Better to start fresh and then move stuff onto it.

Blackhead

Redarse
WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

Apple Canada will NOT be selling unlocked phones on launch day in-store, maybe even launch window. Absolute bullshit.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone...ill-not-sell-unlocked-iphone-5-on-launch-day/

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/iphone/
Buy iPhone 5 with a contract at your favourite Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 21. We can help you choose the right rate plan and get you up and running. Or visit the Apple Online Store to buy an unlocked, no-contract iPhone 5.
A separate source emailed an Apple Store in a large Canadian city about unlocked iPhone 5 units on launch day and was told the following:
“Due to Apple’s renewed focus on in-store iPhone contracts, unlocked iPhones will be unavailable at launch at Canada Apple Stores”​
My guess, is this is a way to slow down the proliferation of factory unlocked iPhone scalpers.

:( They should have put that up before preorders sold out. iPhoneinCanada's guess about scalpers is likely wrong because the iPhone5 is simultaneously launching in Hong Kong this year (at a slightly cheaper price too). It's fucking Rogers and Bell (Robbers!) and well Telus (Robelus). fucking Apple, and AT&T. Looks like I'm not getting an iPhone at launch this year :(

Enco

If I have my current phone backed up in iTunes, when I pick up the 5 I'll be able to retrieve all that stuff, right? Contacts, apps, photos, etc. Little unclear since I've been told "restore from backup" isn't the best option with a new phone. Better to start fresh and then move stuff onto it.
Yes that should be fine. Or use iCloud which would be easier.

I don't like that way of thinking because there are a lot of apps and settings i have on my phone that I don't want lost. I don't have the time to step by step return everything to normal. Plus I don't want to lose my game progress and app data.

Quick question. I'm off contract with Rogers getting 6gb a month of data. That's from my original iphone3g contract that I've just kept even though I've never upgraded. Will I be able to get the iPhone 5 for $200 with a new contract but keep my current plan? Also, can I do that in an apple store?

Fjordson

Yes that should be fine. Or use iCloud which would be easier.

I don't like that way of thinking because there are a lot of apps and settings i have on my phone that I don't want lost. I don't have the time to step by step return everything to normal. Plus I don't want to lose my game progress and app data.
Yeah, it's not ideal, but ah well. I really just need my contacts and apps, I'm willing to fiddle with all my settings and whatnot.

Tabris

rezuth

Apple Store opened today in Sweden, went there and got a free t-shirt+earPods. Sound quality is A LOT improved but of course they won't match some expensive 90€ headset. However the form factor is amazing, feels like I'm wearing nothing at all. The improved buttons and cable length adds a lot too.

Blackhead

Redarse
People are talking about t-mobile but I thought you can't buy an unlocked i5 in the US yet?
Nope, no unlocked iPhone5 in the US for now
And T-mobile won't be getting nanosims until mid-October anyway.

Ugh, Apple would rather have the carriers' money than take mine :(

Marco1

I am going to wait until the new year. I prefer when there are enough decent cases and screen protectors on the market to choose from.
Also any HW kinks should be ironed out with a silent revision.

Anyone have any experience selling their used iPhone in Japan?

And a more basic question: what exactly do I need to do before selling my phone? Do I need to unlock it or can I just leave it locked to the carrier? Do I take out the SIM? I know nothing about how this stuff works..

Top Bottom