• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Planning on switching over to Sprint for the iPhone 5. How is their service/bandwidth?

If I recall sprint is one of the remaining carriers that doesn't give you a GB bandwidth limit.

Whether or not they start bottlenecking you once you hit a certain amount per month however, is completely unknown to me. I stuck with verizon because of the new family share plan, but I've heard rave reviews from some buddies on sprint, and some people saying they have iffy coverage.

I'd ask around about your local area first, then if the price is right go for it!

Tabris

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR CANADIANS, IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON CONTRACT AND INELIGIBLE FOR A HARDWARE UPGRADE, YOU CANNOT BUY A PHONE AT THE APPLE STORE, ONLY ONLINE.

I have confirmed this with 2 Apple Store reps and online. They are only selling contract phones. This is the shadiest news I've heard from Apple. To do this at last minute after pre-orders had sold out.

I took the day off to line up and now I need to get that day changed.

Talon

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR CANADIANS, IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON CONTRACT AND INELIGIBLE FOR A HARDWARE UPGRADE, YOU CANNOT BUY A PHONE AT THE APPLE STORE.

I have confirmed this with 2 Apple Store reps and online. They are only selling contract phones. This is the shadiest news I've heard from Apple. To do this at last minute after pre-orders had sold out.

Huh, weird. I have to imagine this was a decision made for demand to have maximum stock available for the carriers. Especially after how quickly the initial stock sold.

Can't imagine Apple taking a step back for the carrier's benefit.
Whoa, this is crazy. Apple just went the Qualcomm route. A6 is their own custom architecture and is neither A15 or A9 based.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6292/iphone-5-a6-not-a15-custom-core
Was only a matter of time with the chip companies they stocked up on three-four years ago. Now the question is whether they'll take this route with their computers.

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR CANADIANS, IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON CONTRACT AND INELIGIBLE FOR A HARDWARE UPGRADE, YOU CANNOT BUY A PHONE AT THE APPLE STORE.

Huh, this is a dramatic reversal to the 4s launch.

Mairu

It would've been nice to have the more stable connection from Verizon instead of sticking with AT&T, but I can't give up my unlimited plan. At least AT&T in SF bay area seems to have better LTE speeds from what I have heard.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Why can't apple make us an AWS compatible iPhone

You'd see a mass exodus of people from robellus to wind

I'd jump ship first chance I get

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Screen protector by the way? First iPhone here.

Are these (courtesy of Danny) http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...T5&field-keywords=iPhone+5+unlocked+steinheil, any good? Or do people have other recommendations?
Screen protectors aren't really necessary for the iPhone. I've had an iPhone since the original and had 0 problems with scratching. Just make sure you put the phone in the opposite pocket to where you keep your keys.

If you must have a screen protector people seem to like Zagg.

btkadams

huh? but i preordered an unlocked phone off of the apple website yesterday. how could it be on a contract?

Dany

Banned
Screen protectors aren't really necessary for the iPhone. I've had an iPhone since the original and had 0 problems with scratching. Just make sure you put the phone in the opposite pocket to where you keep your keys.

If you must have a screen protector people seem to like Zagg.

I've had a screen protector, it feels like it makes sense considering the screen size, though the iphone 4 was my first iphone, those screens, by SPG are really fanatastic, don't bubble up like cheap brands

How does that make sense? Online it says that they're selling Unlocked phones. Pretty weird.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

It's not really shady, though.

They'd rather sell phones to customers who actually want them rather than let people buy 10 unlocked for flipping.

Blackhead

Redarse
Huh, weird. I have to imagine this was a decision made for demand to have maximum stock available for the carriers. Especially after how quickly the initial stock sold.

Can't imagine Apple taking a step back for the carrier's benefit.
WHAT.

THE.

FUCK.

Apple Canada will NOT be selling unlocked phones on launch day in-store, maybe even launch window. Absolute bullshit.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone...ill-not-sell-unlocked-iphone-5-on-launch-day/

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/iphone/
Buy iPhone 5 with a contract at your favourite Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 21. We can help you choose the right rate plan and get you up and running. Or visit the Apple Online Store to buy an unlocked, no-contract iPhone 5.
According to our source, Apple makes more money on a contract phone than outright unlocked purchases as they receive residual revenue from monthly carrier fees:
A separate source emailed an Apple Store in a large Canadian city about unlocked iPhone 5 units on launch day and was told the following:
“Due to Apple’s renewed focus on in-store iPhone contracts, unlocked iPhones will be unavailable at launch at Canada Apple Stores”​
carriers are happy and applee makes more money

Tabris

They'd rather sell phones to customers who actually want them rather than let people buy 10 unlocked for flipping.

It's 100% shady because they didn't say anything before pre-orders sold out. So now there's no way for me to get a phone earlier than a month.

Tabris

Did anyone ask?

I called up the Apple Store before hand to make sure everything was fine and could buy an unlocked phone. I was told yes. This policy just went down yesterday, after online pre-orders were sold out.

I didn't pre-order online because I confirmed I could just line up at the store and now online wait is 3 weeks + shipping time (a month).

The Apple Store reps I called are also quite frustrated and are fielding a lot of calls right now on it. As they have been telling customers one thing and now have to tell them the opposite.

Blackhead

Redarse

It's not about scalpers. Apple is selling the iPhone in Hong Kong at launch this year which would reduce scalping. They also increased the pros of unlocked handsets in Canada. Scalpers will still have the same opportunity to buy 10 online if they wantes to. Apple's own people say this is about funneling people towards contract phones as they do in the USA

Eiolon

Planning on switching over to Sprint for the iPhone 5. How is their service/bandwidth?

Spint is very bad in our area. Have to be outside to get a signal higher than 1 bar. It won't switch over to Verizon's network since 1 bar is still 1 bar. Need to have 0 service for it to switch :(

giga

Well, this just got very interesting.
Yeah, stakes are high. Creating your own chip that's going to power millions of devices against ARM's own tried and true is a dangerous game.

The rewards are high though if you survive, as can be seen from Qualcomm, which led the field with the first LTE devices. A vertically integrated chain allows for differentiation, and I think that's the game Apple is playing for with those crazy battery life numbers.

Your the very example of this

Touche. Show me a single instance where I mocked/insulted/denigrated/attacked users of a particular platform/product? Yeah, didn't think so. I'm sorry if my description somehow offended you, I guess it hit too close to home.

And it's "you're". I think you'd feel more comfortable at ign.

thinking of going naked iPhone
wat's a good anti-scratch film?

is it still steinheil?

I've had a really good experience with the Zagg InvisibleShield HD on my iPad, so I imagine the HD version for iPhone would be good too. Also I so on their website that they offer a version that will protect against screen breakage if that's something you'd be interested in.

Mairu

Well it looks like there's no way for me to change my shipping address to my work address so there's a chance I probably won't even see the phone until the following Monday. Really angry at the support representatives I spoke to on Thursday night -_-

HTuran

Found a 32GB 4S for £250, so it looks like I'll leap from my 2G to a 4S rather than a 5.

I'll pick up a new phone when the UK gets it's LTE act together.

numble

Yeah, stakes are high. Creating your own chip that's going to power millions of devices against ARM's own tried and true is a dangerous game.

The rewards are high though if you survive, as can be seen from Qualcomm, which led the field with the first LTE devices. A vertically integrated chain allows for differentiation, and I think that's the game Apple is playing for with those crazy battery life numbers.
They still have a license to use ARM-based sets. So they can always go with what ARM is doing if they can't design something to meet their needs, right?

subrock

awww yea!
O5HLD.png

giga

They still have a license to use ARM-based sets. So they can always go with what ARM is doing if they can't design something to meet their needs, right?
Yeah, but the A6 is shipping now. So if something goes bad with it down the road..

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I had a similar problem when I ordered. Account tied in CA, but I'm currently in WA. When my order went through, I was able to change the shipping to the address I'm currently at through Apple Online Store.
Fantastic! Worst comes to worst, I'll have my parents mail it up here. Hopefully they'll do it. They're being sort of dickish about me buying the phone because they wanted to get it for me for Christmas. I'm not waiting another 3 months though for something I held off on buying last year.

AEREC

Put in an order with AT&T yesterday morning around 8am eastern time.

What are the odds I get my phones next Friday?

Check the status of your order...I ordered through AT&T yesterday around 7am and it appeared to have gone through (email confirmation and everything), but they cancelled it later that day with out even notifying me.

Check the status of your order...I ordered through AT&T yesterday around 7am and it appeared to have gone through (email confirmation and everything), but they cancelled it later that day with out even notifying me.

What? Why would they cancel your order?

Top Bottom