• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

knitoe

Anyone have any experience selling their used iPhone in Japan?

And a more basic question: what exactly do I need to do before selling my phone? Do I need to unlock it or can I just leave it locked to the carrier? Do I take out the SIM? I know nothing about how this stuff works..

Is it a Japanese iPhone?

If yes, you can keep it locked,but if you can unlock it, they are usually worth more.

If no, it needs to be unlock otherwise it can't be use in japan or any other country other than with the original provider / country.

You take the Sim out. The buying has to get a new Sim. Its also good to restore the phone as a new device so all your info won't still be on the phone.

Thanks. It's a Japanese phone so that isn't a problem. I dunno how involved the unlocking process is, but since I'm getting a 5 anyway I suppose it's worth doing.

Quick question. I'm off contract with Rogers getting 6gb a month of data. That's from my original iphone3g contract that I've just kept even though I've never upgraded. Will I be able to get the iPhone 5 for $200 with a new contract but keep my current plan? Also, can I do that in an apple store?

Yes, you can upgrade in store, although on launch day what usually happens is the provider servers fail repeatedly which can add 1-5 hours onto the lineup. During a previous launch they had to issue vouchers unless you were buying it unlocked (which no longer seems possible in-store?)

In my antiquated experience you can't keep your old plan when you re-up but maybe that has changed. In any case Apple won't be the ones you talk to to change it, you basically get your phone and settle it with Rogers later. Previously the 6GB plan was made available again during each iPhone launch though.

mcfrank

Got my Best Buy pre-order confirmation, but it just says they will contact me when the phone is in. It doesn't confirm the 21st. Anybody get an actual date in the confirmation from Best Buy?

Anyone on AT&T figure out which data plan option allows you to use the iphone5 for wireless tethering?

I'm sure I chose the wrong data plan, but it can be corrected once the phone is activated and the att website updates.

For those wanting to get the 32GB model, you should be ok getting it from your local store (Verizon, Best Buy...), and if you're one of the few that want the 64GB there is basically noy reason to pre order

Can you buy phones off contract at a Best Buy or Apple store? I went online but didn't care for the 2-3 week wait.

I called Sprint to confirm buying it at full cost wouldn't extend my contract.

I saw Amazon has a buy back of $375. Hopefully, I can off load my 16GB Sprint for $400.

Epix

Anyone pick an 1136x640 wallpaper yet?

yb_nologo_iPhone%205.png

Oni Jazar

Anyone think it is worth unlocking an iPhone 4 (baseband 4.12.01) to re-sell? I have a 4 and was thinking it may be worth jailbreaking & unlocking to bump up the sell value. I have it through AT&T and it looks like people can unlock it for me for a small fee.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone think it is worth unlocking an iPhone 4 (baseband 4.12.01) to re-sell? I have a 4 and was thinking it may be worth jailbreaking & unlocking to bump up the sell value.

Doesn't seem like it's possibly to unlock with anything past 4.11.08 without going through your carrier.

gamma

Well shit. There was a problem with my CC, but I can only fix it on Monday when the bank is open again. Also Apple Sales support is closed till Monday too. I hope I'll still get it on Friday, it still says delivary date 9/21.

Blackhead

Redarse
Quick question. I'm off contract with Rogers getting 6gb a month of data. That's from my original iphone3g contract that I've just kept even though I've never upgraded. Will I be able to get the iPhone 5 for $200 with a new contract but keep my current plan? Also, can I do that in an apple store?
In addition to crazymoogle's advice I would also suggest calling Rogers retentions to see if you can get a better plan before signing a new contract. Ask around Canada-GAF for tips on how to proceed

If I have my current phone backed up in iTunes, when I pick up the 5 I'll be able to retrieve all that stuff, right? Contacts, apps, photos, etc. Little unclear since I've been told "restore from backup" isn't the best option with a new phone. Better to start fresh and then move stuff onto it.

When I went from the original iPhone to 3GS, I remember restoring from backup and it went fine, though I did pick up some duplicate contacts.

Don't know if that process has changed.

And as an aside, I think the reason the 5 sold out so quickly is that there were many like me who were still rocking the 3GS and were waiting to upgrade off-contract.

Wonder how durable the back of the iPhone 5 will be? If its like the iPad then thats cool. Really don't want to put a case on it but the back getting scruffier up would be a shame too :)

I've got a 4S at the moment with an Incipio Feather which is thin, but I'd rather have nothing on the 5!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Anyone have any experience selling their used iPhone in Japan?

And a more basic question: what exactly do I need to do before selling my phone? Do I need to unlock it or can I just leave it locked to the carrier? Do I take out the SIM? I know nothing about how this stuff works..

I buyed an used iPhone for my ex, and all I saw was factory locked to kddi and Softbank.

Kakaku and Yahoo auction should give you an estimate of the prize.

Mine 4 16g was 21.000¥ (locked)

The only ones I saw sim unlocked was hk ones.

I have a genius friend in Ginza store, and he told me no unlocked phones in Japan and no word on imei unlock.

Good luck with that.

To sell, just do a factory reset, and when the buyer power it, it will ask for setup as a new phone.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
That unread badge would actually be even higher. 10,000+, in fact. However, because iOS only supports maximum lists of 1,000 per account, and I have two accounts setup, it will only display a maximum of 2,000 for me.

It's kind of weird behaviour that Mail knows how many are unread, but only displays a badge based on list settings.

VRJBk.jpg

Tobor

That unread badge would actually be even higher. 10,000+, in fact. However, because iOS only supports maximum lists of 1,000 per account, and I have two accounts setup, it will only display a maximum of 2,000 for me.

It's kind of weird behaviour that Mail knows how many are unread, but only displays a badge based on list settings.

IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VRJBk.jpg[/IMG]

The weird behavior is that you have 10,000+ unread emails. ;)

Oni Jazar

My iPhone won't turn on.

Pissed.

Kinda paranoid it has to do with the UDID leak.

Probably will buy the 5 now but still, hate not having a phone.

Ordered the afternoon of the 14th (had to go into the store and swap upgrade dates with my GF, she took mine last year) and my order went from 21st to the 28th =(.

Also still hasn't charged and Order Status is blank on the website. It's only 2 weeks but still.

plainr_

Ok I sent an unlock request to AT&T for my iPhone 4. You can submit an Unlock Request online here (US): https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

The email says it takes about 5-7 business days to unlock. You can also pay about $10 to unlock the phone within 48 hours online. This service looks legit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATT-AT-T-UN...947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec16ea2d3

With this it looks like you can increase the resell value about $100 or more!

Yep, I just recently discovered this as well. I was about to unlock via the jailbreak method but this seems to be more safe when dealing with reselling.

Flo_Evans

Sounds about right. When I was at PAX I had a few friends on AT&T who couldn't even send a tweet. I let them log onto the Verizon LTE MiFi I had in my pocket and suddenly they all had fast connections. To them it was like magic.

What I found interesting is that AT&T has higher peak speeds (in the few areas it's available) but much lower averege speed and upload. AT&T's 3G network is definitely overcrowded. LA is a nightmare on AT&T. Back in STL it is generally good, unless you are at a large concert or event. Wonder how the release of the 5 will effect that.

Ok I sent an unlock request to AT&T for my iPhone 4. You can submit an Unlock Request online here (US): https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

The email says it takes about 5-7 business days to unlock. You can also pay about $10 to unlock the phone within 48 hours online. This service looks legit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATT-AT-T-UN...947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec16ea2d3

With this it looks like you can increase the resell value about $100 or more!

I'm curious to see if that ebay link would work with an iPhone 5.

Top Bottom