• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So I just got royally screwed out of my early iPhone 5 pre-order. I received an email from Apple this morning saying that my pre-order was cancelled...

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.

While processing your iPhone order, we encountered one of the following
issues with your AT&T account. It appears that either the credit
application linked to your order has been canceled, or your current
wireless plan is not compatible with the iPhone. As a result, your
iPhone order has been canceled and you have not been charged.

If you have any questions about this cancelation, please contact AT&T
at 1-800-331-0500. To place a new iPhone order, please visit
store.apple.com. If you reply to this email with your new order number,
we will process your order as quickly as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

The Apple Online Store

Ok, one, I already have an iPhone 4, so my eligibility is not a problem. Both the ATT website and the Apple site said I was ok there. Second, my credit card was not declined as the charge is showing as "Pending" on my statement. I even received a Fraud Alert email Friday morning and called to say it was OK.

So I called AT&T and they said they couldn't do anything because the order numbers from Apple can't be accessed by them. So I called Apple and they said it was cancelled on AT&T's behalf. So now I call AT&T back and tell them what Apple told me and the lady said there's nothing they can do. In fact, it looks like the cancellation request was done this morning around 10:13am pacific time (I received that email at 10:54am). So either someone got into one of my accounts and cancelled it or someone is lying.

So I just reordered the phone again and replied to that email with my new order number in hopes that they'll throw me back into the early bird que. Now I have to take my iPhone 4 off eBay since I might not get the 5 until October. This is such bullshit.

zbroome

Neo Member
Guys, looking for a little help. This will be my first time trying to get the iPhone on release day. On Apple's site it is saying I can buy in store at 8am on the 21st. So, if I camp out Thursday night, theoretically can I just walk in at open and buy it? I will be buying the out of contract price.

Vyer

So I just got royally screwed out of my early iPhone 5 pre-order. I received an email from Apple this morning saying that my pre-order was cancelled...

Ok, one, I already have an iPhone 4, so my eligibility is not a problem. Both the ATT website and the Apple site said I was ok there. Second, my credit card was not declined as the charge is showing as "Pending" on my statement. I even received a Fraud Alert email Friday morning and called to say it was OK.

So I called AT&T and they said they couldn't do anything because the order numbers from Apple can't be accessed by them. So I called Apple and they said it was cancelled on AT&T's behalf. So now I call AT&T back and tell them what Apple told me and the lady said there's nothing they can do. In fact, it looks like the cancellation request was done this morning around 10:13am pacific time (I received that email at 10:54am). So either someone got into one of my accounts and cancelled it or someone is lying.

So I just reordered the phone again and replied to that email with my new order number in hopes that they'll throw me back into the early bird que. Now I have to take my iPhone 4 off eBay since I might not get the 5 until October. This is such bullshit.

Does AT&T still do actual credit checks with accounts? 'credit application' sounds more like that rather than a card declined.

Guys, looking for a little help. This will be my first time trying to get the iPhone on release day. On Apple's site it is saying I can buy in store at 8am on the 21st. So, if I camp out Thursday night, theoretically can I just walk in at open and buy it? I will be buying the out of contract price.

There's too many factors to take into account. The 4s I had no problem getting on launch day in the afternoon, and especially with Tim cook's focus on production I think you can walk in and buy one as long as you are not in some crazy metropolitan area.

Tobor

If you're first in line, sure. Depends where you live.

SeanR1221

So my fiancé is getting a 5 day one. Not going to lie, it's going to be torture now to wait for January 13th until I can upgrade. Only nice part is I can use the money I get from my parents from Christmas on it.

zbroome

Neo Member
There's too many factors to take into account. The 4s I had no problem getting on launch day in the afternoon, and especially with Tim cook's focus on production I think you can walk in and buy one as long as you are not in some crazy metropolitan area.

Yeah, just good ol Baton Rouge, LA

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Does AT&T still do actual credit checks with accounts? 'credit application' sounds more like that rather than a card declined.
Even if they did a credit check, my credit is outstanding.

The only two possible things I can think of is that they saw the fraud alert late yesterday or early this morning and decided to cancel it, even though I OK'd the transaction Friday morning. Or, something got messed up when I changed the shipping address Friday morning when I got into work, so that the phone would ship to my office instead of my house.

ckohler

Just pre-ordered a black 16GB at my local AT&T store a couple of hours ago. Their computer said to expect 5-7 business days for shipping to the store. So, i'm unsure if I'll have mine on release day or not. They said I'll be getting email updates on shipping progress. Here's hoping I'll get to play with it on Friday.

Juice

Just pre-ordered a black 16GB at my local AT&T store a couple of hours ago. Their computer said to expect 5-7 business days for shipping to the store. So, i'm unsure if I'll have mine on release day or not. They said I'll be getting email updates on shipping progress. Here's hoping I'll get to play with it on Friday.

Based on similar experience, I strongly recommend you manage your expectations--I'd guess based on your story that your odds of getting it day one are less than 10%.

Fjordson

Don't mean to clutter the thread with a possibly dumb question, but if I found what sounds like a legitimate buyer for my phone, is it normal for him to want to test it out with a sim card in it? Shouldn't the sim card be taken out before I sell it to him?

Edit: phone I'm selling is a 4S by the way, locked.

Juice

Wait, I don't think that Apple is selling unlocked, off-contract iPhone 5's yet.

If you mean early upgrade or full price, but on contract, then that might work, but for example, they didn't make the iPhone 4S available for unlocked, full price purchase until 11/12 last year.

Kaladin

Samsung telling us iphone5's ram is 1GB.

How would they even know? Unless they're telling something they've learned from court documents and that sounds like something they shouldn't reveal.

Besides, it doesn't really matter because it's all about how the OS reacts with the hardware and the whole package.

How would they even know? Unless they're telling something they've learned from court documents and that sounds like something they shouldn't reveal.

Besides, it doesn't really matter because it's all about how the OS reacts with the hardware and the whole package.

lol

Like it matters. It's quite possible they have very good sources for such information. It's certainly not considered ultra secret information.

NYR

Samsung telling us iphone5's ram is 1GB.

Great ad, pretty effective marketing. The S III is a great phone in its own right!

mash440

Neo Member
Great ad, pretty effective marketing. The S III is a great phone in its own right!

Everyone is so focussed on specifications nowadays though, and this sort of thing doesn't help.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is to deliver a 'good' phone. You can't put numbers to a good camera, or a good set of headphones or a good car. To me this advert just seems to show me that Samsung doesn't understand that you can't put numbers on some qualities.

I want competition to do well against the iPhone, it will help both make the iPhone and mobile phones better in general. Not just better specified, but BETTER.

(link) List of UK iPhone tarrifs

This is a list of all the major UK networks including total cost of ownership. Note that o2 and Tesco haven't announced all their pricing yet, so those sections are not accurate. Specifically o2 haven't announced the up-front costs, and Tesco haven't announced any prices AT ALL.

SuperPac

I think the Galaxy S3 is a nice phone but some of the features they call out are lame. Tilt to zoom? Direct call? Not even going to explain the NFC acronym? I look forward to seeing that TV commercial they were shooting recently with the fake Apple store.

Fjordson

Wow @ that ad. Samsung's really going right at Apple. Interesting. Didn't even realize the S3 was such a nice phone to be honest.

Apple has been missing the mark with adverts recently IMHO

Edit: Whoops, double post. How can you delete posts on this forum?
No deleting. Everything you say is set in stone (and a double post is an instant ban).

...nah, just kidding. Just edit your top post with "accidental double post" or something like that.

Bigfoot

My iPhone 5 is pre-ordered. I was considering the SIII but every time I see it I remember how large it is and that changes my mind. I only hope the 920 doesn't live up to the hype so I don't regret skipping it. That was the other contender, although I'm already embedded in iOS so that swayed me against WP8.

jey_16

Banned
Touche. Show me a single instance where I mocked/insulted/denigrated/attacked users of a particular platform/product? Yeah, didn't think so. I'm sorry if my description somehow offended you, I guess it hit too close to home.

And it's "you're". I think you'd feel more comfortable at ign.

your posts attack anyone who dares say that they think android is superior to the iPhone.....you are the very example of the "neck bearded" folk that you try to denigrate

Maybe you would be more comfortable on the apple forums where they worship at the altar of jobs? I heard they are strict on spelling and grammar as well

Top Bottom