• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What made you switch from Android to ios/iphone?

Honestly I love both OS'. My Droid X was great for 2.5 years, I just wanted to switch it up. A friend has the S3 and it is a great phone as well, but I like to alternate them.

Also I wanted to try iTunes match and use my new Apple TV with the phone.

Izick

Ah, I see.

I'm just trying to ask around as much as I can, as I'm looking to pick a phone later on this year, and it'll be my first smart-ever, so it's kind of hard to decide coming in blind, so to speak.

elsk

Banned
Ah, I see.

I'm just trying to ask around as much as I can, as I'm looking to pick a phone later on this year, and it'll be my first smart-ever, so it's kind of hard to decide coming in blind, so to speak.

If you haven't own an smartphone then you will be pretty happy with any smartphone you buy, because you don't have anything to compare it with.

My only reason to buy an iPhone 5 and not a Galaxy Nexus is because I've been using my iPhone 2G since 2007 and I don't really want to change OS now.

Izick

If you haven't own an smartphone then you will be pretty happy with any smartphone you buy, because you don't have anything to compare it with.

My only reason to buy an iPhone 5 and not a Galaxy Nexus is because I've been using my iPhone 2G since 2007 and I don't really want to change OS now.

Yeah, I agree, but I'm just trying out what will get me the best bang for my buck, or what I'll enjoy the most.

elsk

Banned
Yeah, I agree, but I'm just trying out what will get me the best bang for my buck, or what I'll enjoy the most.

It depends, if you want an unlocked phone or on contract.

iPhone 5 unlocked = 649$USD, iPhone 4S = 549$, iPhone 4 = 450$
Galaxy Nexus unlocked = 350$USD

On contract I guess the prices are much more decent.

Izick

It depends on if you want an unlocked phone or on contract.

iPhone 5 unlocked = 649$USD
Galaxy Nexus unlocked = 350$USD

On contract I guess the prices are much more decent.

Hmm, I'm guessing I'd go the contract route. Not sure yet though.

subrock

You'll play the comparison game all day long but when it comes down to it you just need to pull the trigger on one or another. Take advantage of the return policy on the phone and take it back if it annoys you.

For me, I prefer iOS for the stability and ease of use. I'm an iOS developer by profession, and knowing what I know about code standards on the development side I trust the app store immensely and purchase with confidence. OS updates are timely and extremely easy to apply, and I feel as though devices will be supported fully with updates until the I get a new one at very least.

Izick

You'll play the comparison game all day long but when it comes down to it you just need to pull the trigger on one or another. Take advantage of the return policy on the phone and take it back if it annoys you.

For me, I prefer iOS for the stability and ease of use. I'm an iOS developer by profession, and knowing what I know about code standards on the development side I trust the app store immensely and purchase with confidence. OS updates are timely and extremely easy to apply, and I feel as though devices will be supported fully with updates until the I get a new one at very least.

Yeah, that's what it's looking like. I guess I'm just going to have to pick and hope for the best. All the phones I'm eyeing up right now seem to be amazing though, so I don't think I can go that wrongly.
Why not wait for the next Nexus? It should be announced at the end of next month if last year is any indication.

I guess I could. Not in a huge hurry right now.

Kibbles

I haven't kept up with iOS, last iDevice I've had is a iPod Touch 3G which I haven't updated or toyed with forever. I'm going to be getting the iPhone 5 unlocked when it comes out but one thing I really like about my infuse is the drop down notifications bar from the top that you can slide down and see your notifications and do other things with real easily and just slide back up when you are done. Is there something similar on iOS now? I'm going to miss that.

Tobor

I haven't kept up with iOS, last iDevice I've had is a iPod Touch 3G which I haven't updated or toyed with forever. I'm going to be getting the iPhone 5 unlocked when it comes out but one thing I really like about my infuse is the drop down notifications bar from the top that you can slide down and see your notifications and do other things with real easily and just slide back up when you are done. Is there something similar on iOS now? I'm going to miss that.

Yes. iOS Notification Center works exactly like that.

border

Not in the US. They are offering $100 for unlocked iPhone customers:

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/09/t-mo...-unlocked-iphone-owners-until-september-30th/

Still not a very good deal IMO. If you already have an unlocked iPhone, you can jump on their Monthly 4G prepaid plan that is $30/month for Unlimited Data/Text and 100 minutes. On their Value Rate Plan, Unlimited 4G Data + 500 Minutes is $55/month. They also have a $45 plan that gives you 2GB at high speed and then throttles you thereafter. It's somewhat offset by the $100 rebate, but you'd still end up spending more if you went for the rebate.

Of course on the prepaid plan you only get 100 minutes (but can buy more if you run over). I think it's smarter to go prepaid, then just pay extra on the months you happen to go over. I guess it depends on how much you talk.

Doodis

Just preordered from AT&T. Using an iPhone 4 now that's starting to have problems with the home button. Looking forward to the upgrade.

Also switching to a shared data plan with 8 other family members, which will cut my monthly bill down $35 or so. Stoked about that as well.

You can search your package by typing your phone number into the "tracking by reference" into UPS' website.

94lo5.png

I'm glad I looked at the official iphone 5 vid. Some marketing fluff in it, but I was really impressed by the part about the manufacturing process. Why did I ever think that the two black/white bars on the back would be pasted-on like in the leaked mockup?

numble

Last year the unlocked iPhone 4S wasn't available until November :/
The 4S was launched in October though.
Anyway, you were buying unlocked iPhones if you asked for Sprint or AT&T and paid full price for them. I bought an unlocked iPhone in October last year via this method.

Blackhead

Redarse
The 4S was launched in October though.
Anyway, you were buying unlocked iPhones if you asked for Sprint or AT&T and paid full price for them. I bought an unlocked iPhone in October last year via this method.

The sales of unlocked Sprint iPhones were only temporary last year. i have no intention of buying Sprint anyway. Giga said he's going to try for the full price AT&T hoping it's unlocked. I'm off to Canada

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I have pre-ordered my AT&T phone but it will take a few weeks to ship. Does anyone know if I can score one earlier at retail and cancel my online order easily? Or does my upgrade authorization locked up at time of order (versus time of sale when it ships.)?

magicstop

I have pre-ordered my AT&T phone but it will take a few weeks to ship. Does anyone know if I can score one earlier at retail and cancel my online order easily? Or does my upgrade authorization locked up at time of order (versus time of sale when it ships.)?

You should be able to. That's what I did with my 4s.

Vyer

Its been easier for the last couple of options, but then again those preorders didn't sell out in an hour, so who knows.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I am amazed that AT&T let me keep my unlimited data! Has that been the case for others?

Epix

I'm a little pissed at Verizon right now.

I ordered 2 iPhone 5's at 12:05 am Friday morning and got an immediate confirmation email saying "Delivery by 9/21/2012." When I called to check on the status they told me it will ship on the 21st and I should have it by the 24th. WTF.

And now I'm seeing people's packages being prepared for shipment and actually have begun shipping. WTF Verizon.

X-Frame

I am amazed that AT&T let me keep my unlimited data! Has that been the case for others?

Yup, the only "downside" that I am aware of is that they won't allow us to use FaceTime over the cellular network. I've used that a whole 0 times so not a big deal.

Plus, they increased the data limit to 5 GB with the new iPhone before we get throttled.

The sales of unlocked Sprint iPhones were only temporary last year. i have no intention of buying Sprint anyway. Giga said he's going to try for the full price AT&T hoping it's unlocked. I'm off to Canada

Hopefully the off contract phones being unlocked is the same this year but I'm going to wait for some other people to buy them and see what the results are. But as a word of advice, if you plan on buying an unlocked phone from Canada you should know that unlocked devices won't be available in Canadian stores during the launch window.

Marco1

Just sold my 4S and ordered a 32GB Black but I'm looking at 2-3 week delivery time.
Might try the apple store on Friday and cancel my online order.

AEREC

After failing to preorder online for two days, I finally went into an AT&T store to preorder the IP5 (64GB), and the salesperson said I should have it in 6 to 14 days, not sure if I believe them though but we'll see.

Also got a 99 cent IP4 for my wife and have an odd question:

I immediately hooked it up to wifi before activating it yesterday and overnight without it being used the data usage went from .21/6144MB last night to .24/6144MB this morning. Why would it use 3G while it is hooked up to wifi and not even being used?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Guys, for some reason that sbnation Samsung unfunny image is giving people malware warnings in this thread, me included. Please don't post it from that source.

Kaladin

After failing to preorder online for two days, I finally went into an AT&T store to preorder the IP5 (64GB), and the salesperson said I should have it in 6 to 14 days, not sure if I believe them though but we'll see.

Also got a 99 cent IP4 for my wife and have an odd question:

I immediately hooked it up to wifi before activating it yesterday and overnight without it being used the data usage went from .21/6144MB last night to .24/6144MB this morning. Why would it use 3G while it is hooked up to wifi and not even being used?

The better question is, Why would ATT charge you for a free phone?

So, what would be my chances of getting a phone on the 21st if I go to one of the Apple Stores in London around 1h before opening time? What store do you recommend? I'm sure the Regent Street one will be full be should also be the one with more phones in stock.

iammeiam

You can search your package by typing your phone number into the "tracking by reference" into UPS' website.

94lo5.png

After playing around with it, I think the reference number may be the primary phone number for the account, in the case of family plans. I'm also pretty sure they're not done shipping the launch allocation yet--4 phones ordered, 3 results by reference number under primary phone, two of three results share a tracking number. 0 results under the sub-phone-numbers.

Ordered some cheap Poetic cases and bumpers to tide me over until I come to a long-term protection decision. For $5 shipped each, I'm willing to try 'em out. Should be here before the 21st.

Dany

Banned
So, what would be my chances of getting a phone on the 21st if I go to one of the Apple Stores in London around 1h before opening time? What store do you recommend? I'm sure the Regent Street one will be full be should also be the one with more phones in stock.
Lines will be forming the night of I'd assume. You might be late.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
Arghhhh. Preordered with ATT early Friday morning. Never got confirmation e-mail but they send me a "your order is processing" text. Order page still says processing. Just went online to chat with ATT rep and he says "no phones will be received on the 21st. That's when they ship. Sorry." What gives? Anyone else having similar troubles?

So is the Nokia Lumia 920 the first truly worthy adversary to the iPhone 5 in terms of both aesthetics and performance?

It certainly feels that way to me. At the very least, it's the first smartphone I've seen that actually looks better than the iPhone and still manages to have the specs and UI/OS to keep up.

images976801_700_nokia_lumia_920_color_range.jpg

nokia-lumia-920-xl.jpg

nokia-lumia-920_21.jpg

I have to say that the new Windows icon in the center bottom looks butt ugly to me. Why couldn't they make the icon symmetrical. The center icon of a phone this beautiful should be symmetrical.

elsk

Banned
So is the Nokia Lumia 920 the first truly worthy adversary to the iPhone 5?

It certainly feels that way to me. At the very least, it's the first smartphone I've seen that actually looks better than the iPhone and has the specs to keep up with Apple.

I'm not sure but it sure looks better than any Samsung phone. At least Nokia added some nice features to the phone and not just "MORE RAM, FACE UNLOCK, BIGGER EVERYTHING"

I like the crazy camera in it, but I don't think it looks better as a device and I still don't really like the Windows Phone UI. That being said it definitely does look like a decent phone.

Top Bottom