• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

PSGames

He's kind of right. I have both iphone and lumia 900. The lumia 900 has an amazing OS and the phone itself is great, but the apps are lacking. Havent found a twitter app worthy, and the Facebook app hasnt been updated like the iphone one so its terrible too. Even with all that the 920 still interests me because the phone is so sick

I'm pretty much in the same ballpark as you. I use each OS on a regular basis and iOS is definitely the smoothest and has the most full featured apps. The UI for Windows phone is amazing but apps often lag and I've had quite a few freezes and hang ups with my Lumia. Hope this gets improved substantially with Windows 8.

Aurizen

Do you work for t-mobile? This is the first I've heard of that restriction.
no but i know that the iphone has to be from AT&T it cant be from Verizon or Sprint for some reason. you cant unlock those and bring it to tmobile only AT&T iphones for some reason

Husker86

no but i know that the iphone has to be from AT&T it cant be from Verizon or Sprint for some reason. you cant unlock those and bring it to tmobile only AT&T iphones for some reason

Well then you could lie and say your hypothetical Sprint 4S that you got unlocked is from AT&T and is unlocked because the 4S had only one model for all carriers; they are all the same.

Aurizen

Well then you could lie and say your hypothetical Sprint 4S that you got unlocked is from AT&T and is unlocked because the 4S had only one model for all carriers; they are all the same.

Tmobile is focusing on AT&T for some reason i have to look up why, i was about to get a iphone 4s from verizon on tmobile and i read that woulndt work because its CDMA. and i believe CDMA doesnt work on tmobile

kr2t0s

Question:

Work currently pays the bill for my iPhone so it's really hard for me to order a new phone. Curious if I can order an unlocked one or maybe a used att once they are on the market?

Or would I need them to change my plan from my current 4s to LTE?

Husker86

Tmobile is focusing on AT&T for some reason i have to look up why, i was about to get a iphone 4s from verizon on tmobile and i read that woulndt work because its CDMA. and i believe CDMA doesnt work on tmobile

You are correct, Tmobile does not support CDMA, but the Verizon iPhone 4S supports GSM. Even the AT&T 4S has CDMA radio in it, it just doesn't use it.

Aurizen

You are correct, Tmobile does not support CDMA, but the Verizon iPhone 4S supports GSM. Even the AT&T 4S has CDMA radio in it, it just doesn't use it.

hmm then im not sure... I'm trying to get an iphone and not sure which carriers will work on tmobile

giga

No, you can unlock the Sprint and Verizon 4S. There's only one model of the 4S and every one has a sim card slot. It's just that Sprint and Verizon stopped selling unlocked iPhones to use on GSM networks.

Chronic sells permanent factory unlocks for Sprint and Verizon iPhones, though it's more expensive than AT&T unlocks: http://www.ijailbreak.com/iphone/will-strafach-factory-iphone-unlock-service/

Zeth

People who ordered from AT&T: order is still "processing" right? Shouldn't have to worry until later in the week. I got in within a few minutes.

MasLegio

Banned
64GB Black pre-ordered.

Selling 4S back to Apple.

I hate what I've become...

I wish this was possible in Sweden

right now I do not feel it is worth the cost to upgrade but if there is a price difference of only 200$ for to upgrade my 64gb 4S to a 64gb 5 I might do it.
Am considering doing it later this year when they only sell the 16 gb model of 4S, since it might increase the value of my phone

Zeth

Oh shit.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/16...r-in-geekbench-showing-dual-core-1ghz-a6-cpu/

The total Geekbench 2 score comes in at 1601. Poole notes that the average score for the iPhone 4S is 629 and the average score for the iPad 3 is 766. A comparison chart of previous iOS devices can be viewed at Geekbench. The numbers seem to validate Apple's claim that the A6 processor is twice as fast as the A5 and any previous iOS device. This one score also places the iPhone 5 ahead of the average scores of all Android phones on Geekbench. The full Geekbench results further breakdown processor, memory and bandwidth performance.

The A6 also appears to be clocked higher than the A5 at 1GHz (the iPhone 4S A5 ran at 800Mhz). The 1GB of RAM was previously confirmed by part number markings on the A6 processor itself.

Poole acknowledges that any pre-release results on Geekbench have a chance of being faked, but he seems to believe that these results are legitimate. The iPhone 5 will be available to the general public on September 21st.

Edit: posted by numble in SoC thread, missed that.

Marco1

I pre-ordered the 32GB Black today and my order says processing with a delivery of 2-3 weeks.
What are my chances of getting it before that?
Would I be better to queue on Friday and then cancel my on-line order?

Was just checking my bank account balance when I noticed that $249.30, AKA the price of my iPhone, went into "processing" as of 9/14.

Jumped over to my Apple Store iOS app and saw that my order is preparing for shipment.

:D

The total Geekbench 2 score comes in at 1601. Poole notes that the average score for the iPhone 4S is 629 and the average score for the iPad 3 is 766. A comparison chart of previous iOS devices can be viewed at Geekbench.

825.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought I'd ask here - at the moment, I have a choice between a 1gb plan and a 6gb plan and since I've never done the smart phone thing, I'm not sure how much data I would use. How much data do people here generally use?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I thought I'd ask here - at the moment, I have a choice between a 1gb plan and a 6gb plan and since I've never done the smart phone thing, I'm not sure how much data I would use. How much data do people here generally use?

You can never have too much data.

Better to have more than not enough so you're constantly monitoring your usage.

Clipse

My average usage has been around 2.5GB's for the past few months. Only have my phone on Wi-Fi when I'm at home.

Bgamer90

Banned

How much more is the 6gb plan?

I use about 400-500 mb per month but that's on 3G. I would probably go for the 6gb plan just to be on the safe side if it isn't that much more in price.

MasLegio

Banned

depends if there is wifi where you usually are using your phone

LCfiner

So the 2x performance increase sounds surprisingly conservative coming from a PR event

possibly, but if they used real world performance as the benchmark (which is always more useful, imo) then gains may end up being around 2X instead of the well over 2X increase from this synthetic benchmark.

4S and iPad 3 already seems very fast to me for browsing and most apps. some exceptions are large gifs in safari (friggin gaf, ha) and some complex photo, audio or video editing apps where there are some delays. iPhone 5 should offer some real improvements there.

rozay

Banned
How on earth is a dual core CPU FASTER than a quad core CPU at a higher GHz?
Dual core CPU with a newer architecture is obviously going to be faster than the quad core CPU with the current gen's architecture (A9). This is the reason the american galaxy S3 with a dual core CPU can offer similar to better performance.
possibly, but if they used real world performance as the benchmark (which is always more useful, imo) then gains may end up being around 2X instead of the well over 2X increase from this synthetic benchmark.

4S and iPad 3 already seems very fast to me for browsing and most apps. some exceptions are large gifs in safari (friggin gaf, ha) and some complex photo, audio or video editing apps where there are some delays. iPhone 5 should offer some real improvements there.
If only the stock gallery supported animated gifs..

Photo audio and video editing will see some very strong performance gains I'd assume. That's what attracts me to processor improvements the most.

It's incredible that they managed to get that CPU, double the RAM and LTE into a thinner, lighter phone, and people still call it a small upgrade compared to the 4S.

giga

The 2x number is about right if you compare it to the iPad's A5 instead of the 4S. Remember that the 4S is clocked at 800mhz while the iPad is at 1ghz.

4S (800mhz): 629
iPad 2 (1ghz): 760
5 (1ghz): 1600

Of course the 5 result could be faked so I'm still holding out for some numbers from a reputable source.

LCfiner

It's incredible that they managed to get that CPU, double the RAM and LTE into a thinner, lighter phone, and people still call it a small upgrade compared to the 4S.

yeah... a lot of people here only look for massive external design changes or they were hoping for a 4.5"+ screen. or possibly for a lot of "gadgety" type features aimed at a few tech heads.

I may not feel the new design is 100% my cup of tea (two toned back, meh) but at least I can recognize that it's built entirely differently from the 4S and this allows for some major thickness and weight improvements. plus we have another 2X performance jump from the previous phone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How much more is the 6gb plan?

I use about 400-500 mb per month but that's on 3G. I would probably go for the 6gb plan just to be on the safe side if it isn't that much more in price.
It's $65 vs $75 for the two plans.

I don't expect to be streaming HD movies on the go or whatever, but then again, I have no idea how I'd end up using the device. Man, go figure they make this all so hard. lol

elsk

Banned

It's a small upgrade. You can do the same things on the 4S and 5, the same features. Sure some games are going to use the extra power but that's it. If you have a 4S is not that intelligent to upgrade to 5, you should wait at least for 5S.

I'm sure 5S will come with a new feature exclusive for that device. Like NFC or something like Siri (software feature).

My phone ordered through Apple is now preparing for shipment.

Anyone have experience doing the "pre sign" form? If I fill this out, will the carrier be able to leave the package at my apartment's office? I might just stay home anyway.

Bgamer90

Banned

I don't expect to be streaming HD movies on the go or whatever, but then again, I have no idea how I'd end up using the device. Man, go figure they make this all so hard. lol

In that case then if I were you I would just spend the extra $10. You're getting a lot more data.

iammeiam

It's only $10 difference for 5GB more? It seems like in that case it'd be smart to start with the larger plan, then downgrade if it turns out you don't need more than 1GB. I currently average two to two-and-a-half GB a month, but I think the LTE speed increase will probably result in me using more. 1 is just really low.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In that case then if I were you I would just spend the extra $10. You're getting a lot more data.
It's only $10 difference for 5GB more? It seems like in that case it'd be smart to start with the larger plan, then downgrade if it turns out you don't need more than 1GB. I currently average two to two-and-a-half GB a month, but I think the LTE speed increase will probably result in me using more. 1 is just really low.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. That's probably why they make the price difference just small enough that it almost makes sense to spend the extra 10 bucks a month. lol

Can someone explain this to me? Right now I have an enV3. I ordered my iPhone 5 through Verizon and when I checked out it said $10 for talk and text/whatever for my phone plus $30 for data. If I remember correctly that's exactly what it says. But when I called to check and see my order, they're now saying I have to pay $40/month for line access and 2GB of data is $60. I figured I was only paying $30 extra for data by getting a smartphone. If someone can clear this up or confirm this that'd be great.

It's a small upgrade. You can do the same things on the 4S and 5, the same features. Sure some games are going to use the extra power but that's it. If you have a 4S is not that intelligent to upgrade to 5, you should wait at least for 5S.

I'm sure 5S will come with a new feature exclusive for that device. Like NFC or something like Siri (software feature).

I have been updating every two years. 3G to 4, and now 4 to 5, because I prefer to hold out and get a little more from the money I spent. But I still think that the upgrade from the 4 to the 4S, and now from the 4S to the 5, was great.

Sure it doesn't really do anything the 4S doesn't on an OS level, but the CPU/GPU and RAM upgrades could make some apps possible that weren't before, at least not in a usable way. Things like iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband were only made possible by the spec upgrades we got in the past years.
And in the end, apart from calls/sms, aren't the apps the main reason we buy a smartphone?

Can someone explain this to me? Right now I have an enV3. I ordered my iPhone 5 through Verizon and when I checked out it said $10 for talk and text/whatever for my phone plus $30 for data. If I remember correctly that's exactly what it says. But when I called to check and see my order, they're now saying I have to pay $40/month for line access and 2GB of data is $60. I figured I was only paying $30 extra for data by getting a smartphone. If someone can clear this up or confirm this that'd be great.

THey're forcing you into their new share plan.

Yep. They have been getting a lot of heat for it too.

So I still have to be on a shared plan even though none of my family, 4 other people, have data? they all have unlimited talk and text 700 or something with basic phones. This is a damn shame I'll have to cancel my order because I can justify paying an extra $30 for myself but $100 is ridiculous.

Top Bottom