• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I'm definitely a fan of the Lumia's looks and how metro performs. I think the 920 is doing some weird carrier exclusivity thing here in the UK though, because of some 4G only rubbish. Couldn't buy one even if I wanted to.

I like the crazy camera in it, but I don't think it looks better as a device and I still don't really like the Windows Phone UI. That being said it definitely does look like a decent phone.

What don't you like about it?

My only dislikes are the asymettric/ugly windows button they require you to place at the center bottom of each windows phone and the lack of Apps.

Vyer

I like the 920, and it's between that and the 5 for my next upgrade, but for all the criticism of apple for not changing enough design wise, the 920 design has pretty much been around for a while. I liked it when it was on their phones a year+ ago. Among my reasons for liking the phone, a fresh new design isn't really among them (although it looks great).

rozay

Banned

My only dislikes are the asymettric/ugly windows button they require you to place at the center bottom of each windows phone and the lack of Apps.
I have a feeling the placement on those buttons was done entirely from a usability perspective with the bottom bezel rather than making them symmetrical. We'll see.

It's hard for me to describe what exactly it is that I don't like but it just looks off to me. I think that it's because sometimes it looks like the icons were made in MS paint. I am impressed with how much info they can get on one screen though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm definitely a fan of the Lumia's looks and how metro performs. I think the 920 is doing some weird carrier exclusivity thing here in the UK though, because of some 4G only rubbish. Couldn't buy one even if I wanted to.

Why does carrier exclusivity mean you can't buy one? Banking on upgrading?

There's bound to be a SIM free option.

Does the 'must be unlockable' law extend to 'must also be sold SIM free'?

Septimus

Wow my Rogers waitlist number dramatically decreased. On the 14th it was 981 and when I checked today it's 106. Nice!

Hope that means I get one of the first batch if possible. =)

kharma45

Does the 'must be unlockable' law extend to 'must also be sold SIM free'?

I don't know, but I'm yet to remember an phone that hasn't had a SIM free option in the UK. Even when the iPhone was an O2 'exclusive' you could still buy it from the Apple store couldn't you? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Izick

I don't even know what Apps I'd need or want, besides like maybe some Facebook App, a Youtube App, and like a web browser. I've never really saw a huge appeal in mobile games, but I guess that could change.

I need a new phone so bad. My Droid X has a cracked screen and If I go on facebook for 15 minutes my battery goes from full to 5%.

I just don't want to lose my verizon unlimited plan. I'm still just devastated about this :(
I might just buy a Galaxy Nexus. I enjoy tethering.

Future

I don't even know what Apps I'd need or want, besides like maybe some Facebook App, a Youtube App, and like a web browser. I've never really saw a huge appeal in mobile games, but I guess that could change.

Neither did I, until I got an iPhone with tons of mobile games ha.

For app hounds iPhone is the way to go. For peeps that just want the basics, android and windows phone have enough to get by these days, and then some

rozay

Banned
He's right, though. The apps for iPhone are great, and in my own personal opinion, iOS is the best platform for apps.
I'm not even a windows phone owner, but his post is intentionally misleading the person asking for help and ignoring the fact that they have most of the major ones at this point and Nokia is funding and/or developing the ones that haven't made it yet for Lumia owners (on both WP8 and WP7!)

There's a difference between "app selection is poor" and "you'll never find out." Just saying. It's as trollish as the "ps3 has no games" posts were back in the day.

Izick

Honestly, the only game I have a real interest in is that new Shadowrun game, and that's not anywhere near coming out.

Why buy and carry two devices when you can just buy one?

People still bought iPads. :)

The Apple app store beats all other app stores. Not much competition really.

How many people who make this statement have actually had reasonable or any hands on time with the other app stores and have tried comparing which apps are on multiple platforms and which apps are substitutes if they're not available? I bet you very few who trumpet this card.

nib95

Banned
The Apple app store beats all other app stores. Not much competition really.

Unless you're heavily in to your mobile gaming, it's not really an important factor. Since there are too many apps on the market place for both Android and iOS. I'd actually argue that they trade blows. Certain apps are better on iOS, others on Android. For example, I prefer PowerAmp (Music player) on Android over eQu and any other alternative on iOS, but then I prefer Tapatalk on iOS. But it's not as clear cut as you make out. They do certain things better than each other, but with iOS6, I'd say both maps and navigation are heavily in Android's favour.

What the hell? To go to Verizon and join my mom/dad/sister on their family plan, I would be paying effectively the same amount I'm paying on an individual plan with ATT right now. Dear lord are these new "share everything" plans a turbo-fucking-ripoff.

So stay on ATT without unlimited data, move to Verizon without unlimited data for the same price (and minus the ability to do voice and data at the same time)... taking a risk and paying $8/mo more for an unlimited plan with Sprint even though their 3G blows and their LTE network isn't hitting Chicago for another couple months is sounding kind of good. Only question is if their LTE service will be as pitiful as their 3G.

There's bound to be a SIM free option.

Good point, I didn't think about that.

Why does carrier exclusivity mean you can't buy one? Banking on upgrading?

It's just that neither of my phones (one for work, one for play) are with the company that are getting the exclusive. EE I think they are. You're right that wouldn't stop me buying one if they're available though. Would feel a tad lush on top of the unlocked iPhone 5 mind you. Ha.

So what did everybody do that didn't get an order confirmation email? I know it had a number but I didn't write it down. Now when I log into Verizon it says I can upgrade my phone like I never preordered it. Sooo pissed.

dorkimoe

What is this, 2007? You seem a bit too intelligent to make a post like this.

He's kind of right. I have both iphone and lumia 900. The lumia 900 has an amazing OS and the phone itself is great, but the apps are lacking. Havent found a twitter app worthy, and the Facebook app hasnt been updated like the iphone one so its terrible too. Even with all that the 920 still interests me because the phone is so sick

kharma45

He's kind of right. I have both iphone and lumia 900. The lumia 900 has an amazing OS and the phone itself is great, but the apps are lacking. Havent found a twitter app worthy, and the Facebook app hasnt been updated like the iphone one so its terrible too. Even with all that the 920 still interests me because the phone is so sick

I've actually found the official one to be pretty decent now, push notifications work really well.

Does all I want from it anyway.

How many people who make this statement have actually had reasonable or any hands on time with the other app stores and have tried comparing which apps are on multiple platforms and which apps are substitutes if they're not available? I bet you very few who trumpet this card.

I have had a Droid 2 since it came out. I'll be switching to the iPhone 5 and will enjoy being able to get decent apps for once.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Huh? Selling back to Apple??
They "recycle" old phones/iPods/etc and give you a couple bucks for them. Well, I'd only get a couple bucks for my shit 3GS anyway. I'm just going to keep it as a spare in case of emergency.

golem

When Microsoft cant even get the biggest app around right now (Instagram) on their phone, when they've already invested billions in the app's owner (Facebook)... that's probably not a good sign of the health of their app market.

golem

If i were to buy an iphone 5 which one would work on Tmobile?

All of them would work, because they all support the basic GSM bands. I believe the AT&T version has bands that will work with their 3G refarm and LTE plans. T-mobile wont be getting nano-sims till mid October however so might as well hold off till things become clearer

Aurizen

All of them would work, because they all support the basic GSM bands. I believe the AT&T version has bands that will work with their 3G refarm and LTE plans. T-mobile wont be getting nano-sims till mid October however so might as well hold off till things become clearer

f7ba960e3e0ef361e911e72c5c1e3f3f.png

i think Tmobile one would because the 4s CDMA didnt work. Tmobile only unlocked AT&T ver that might be the only one to work.

rozay

Banned
i think Tmobile one would because the 4s CDMA didnt work. Tmobile only unlocked AT&T ver that might be the only one to work.
where did you see this? with the 4S, all models have CDMA and GSM antennas, the latter of which works on t-mobile after the phone is unlocked.

I don't know if the A1429 listed above has any GSM support at all, haven't had time to look into that.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wait wait wait

The Canadian ones would work on wind over LTE?

Ohmigod

I need to test this

Edit: nope. Needs to support AWS HSPA to work

giga

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I know tmobile only accept iphone 4s from AT&T as those are the only ones that work.
Those are LTE bands. They're meaningless until T-Mobile has an LTE network up and running.

The only thing that matters right now is that unlocked iPhones will only work on T-Mobile's 2G network unless you're in a market where T-Mobile has a 1900mhz 3G/HSPA+ network up. (New York, Seattle, D.C., and Las Vegas)

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...nvert_its_4g_network_to_support_apples_iphone
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/10/3307571/tmobile-apple-iphone-unlocked-support

Other markets will come at the end of the year.

Top Bottom