• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

So I still have to be on a shared plan even though none of my family, 4 other people, have data? they all have unlimited talk and text 700 or something with basic phones. This is a damn shame I'll have to cancel my order because I can justify paying an extra $30 for myself but $100 is ridiculous.

Might be cheaper to convert them all to the share plan if they have unlimited talk. That's usually when the new share plan comes out ahead if people want lots of minutes.

rozay

Banned
So I still have to be on a shared plan even though none of my family, 4 other people, have data? they all have unlimited talk and text 700 or something with basic phones. This is a damn shame I'll have to cancel my order because I can justify paying an extra $30 for myself but $100 is ridiculous.
You had until June to prevent this from happening to your plans, sadly. Even if you go to at&t you'll be paying that much for yourself.

You had until June to prevent this from happening to your plans, sadly. Even if you go to at&t you'll be paying that much for yourself.
Didn't plan on iPhone 5 until recently.

Right now we pay about $150 for 5 phones. With Nationwide TLK&TXT Share 700 it's $80, plus around $14 for each phone. With the lowest share everything plan it says it's about $220 even with only 2GB. The price is laughable when I'm the only one who would probably use the data.

If I have this right are there any alternative providers to recommend that I should switch to just for myself.

Didn't plan on iPhone 5 until recently.

Right now we pay about $150 for 5 phones. With Nationwide TLK&TXT Share 700 it's $80, plus around $14 for each phone. With the lowest share everything plan it says it's about $220 even with only 2GB. The price is laughable when I'm the only one who would probably use the data.

If I have this right are there any alternative providers to recommend that I should switch to just for myself.

ATT is your best bet unless you live in an area with Sprint LTE.

Boom.

0oB3h.jpg

rozay

Banned
You can't do a classic plan on att now?
I was referring to him paying individually on at&t, though even if his family moved they'd have worse plans and pay more.

You can go prepaid for $45 a month with 2GB of data on at&t or t-mobile's network but you'll have to buy the phone outright either from apple or someone else.

You posted this pic 3 times in 3 different threads even though it was posted 20 minutes ago?

I posted it in both iPhone threads (2) because I thought it was relevant, as this is being discussed in BOTH threads, and I hadn't seen a comparison with the 4S posted at all. What's the problem? Not sure where the hell you got the 3rd thread from.

I currently have an iPhone 4. Am I right that the only difference between my phone and the iPhone 5 is a bigger screen, Siri and a faster processor? If so I don't think that would be enough (for me anyway) to getting the I5.

rozay

Banned
So basically I'm fucked.
Where in the country do you live?
I currently have an iPhone 4. Am I right that the only difference between my phone and the iPhone 5 is a bigger screen, Siri and a faster processor? If so I don't think that would be enough (for me anyway) to getting the I5.
There are certain features being left out of iOS6 on the iPhone 4 like turn-by-turn navigation. Remains to be seen if these can be added with decent performance via jailbreaking.

Sid

Currently a 4s user,I would have bought this had apple put a wider screen which displays 1080p,newer form factor with the same or higher spec improvements.

Bu bu but teh disappointment!

Having said that: meh. I will continue to be an iPhone user as long as the iPhone UX, content and real world performance continues to blow everything else out of the water. Spec numbers are just icing on the cake.

I find the UX smooth but outdated. I mean...can I add more than 12 apps to a single folder? Still no real time up-datable content on the home screen. Not even notification widgets.

I'm right there with you on content and real world performance. I hear the S3 is more than solid on battery life but whenever I chill with my android owning friends the first thing when we chill at someone's crib is "Yo, you got a charger for my phone".

How do you define "difference"? I'm serious. Literally every single hardware aspect of the phone has been redone, both internal and external, so what exactly would the phone need to have had to be classified as "different"? Maybe go watch the keynote or something.

DarkWish

So I wanted to check my tracking info for my iPhone 5 and I found a method on the Macrumors forums to do so for UPS. Got to ups.com and select tracking, and then track by reference. Under shipment reference, put your phone number, or your order number minus the last two numbers. Put in your country, leave the shipper account blank, and put in your zip code.

I tried it and it lists my package as currently being in Addison, Illinois as of today. I'm in Virginia by the way. Says it should be delivered Friday by 3 pm, and will ship via UPS Next Day Air Saver. Trying to tell myself to not get my hopes up for an early Thursday delivery or something, but cool that it's already in Illinois.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So I wanted to check my tracking info for my iPhone 5 and I found a method on the Macrumors forums to do so for UPS. Got to ups.com and select tracking, and then track by reference. Under shipment reference, put your phone number, or your order number minus the last two numbers. Put in your country, leave the shipper account blank, and put in your zip code.

I tried it and it lists my package as currently being in Addison, Illinois as of today. I'm in Virginia by the way. Says it should be delivered Friday by 3 pm, and will ship via UPS Next Day Air Saver. Trying to tell myself to not get my hopes up for an early Thursday delivery or something, but cool that it's already in Illinois.

GAF > Internet > GAF

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42183000&postcount=3619

Bgamer90

Banned

Bigger screen
Siri
Much faster
Better build quality in practically all areas
LTE
Facetime over 3G/4G
Flyover & Turn-by-turn GPS
Better cameras (8-megapixel in comparison to 5-megapixel on the iPhone 4 with more options/ways for taking photos and shooting videos; 720p front facing camera)

NekoFever

Why not?a wider 4.5 inch full hd screen seems pretty awesome.
It needs extra graphics hardware to drive that resolution, which sucks more power, which reduces battery life, all in service of a bullet point on a spec sheet that no one could discern with their eyes.

Sid

It needs extra graphics hardware to drive that resolution, which sucks more power, which reduces battery life, all in service of a bullet point on a spec sheet that no one could discern with their eyes.
Ok why not make the phone bigger to accomodate a larger battery?By how much would 720p reduce the battery life?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

Zeth

Pissed I activated tethering a few weeks ago assuming AT&T would totally fuck everyone going to 4G. So now I'll have 3gb/mo instead of 5 if I'm understanding correctly. If so, not too bad.

Edit: early tracking trick is not working for me, ordered from AT&T.

Husker86

Pissed I activated tethering a few weeks ago assuming AT&T would totally fuck everyone going to 4G. So now I'll have 3gb/mo instead of 5 if I'm understanding correctly. If so, not too bad.

Edit: early tracking trick is not working for me, ordered from AT&T.

I ordered from Verizon and it's not in the UPS system.

My email said delivery by 9/21 so I'm not worried yet. However if it doesn't come on launch day I will at least ask them to refund my upgrade fee.

+ much better camera

Is the camera much improved? The spec sheet on their site has the exact same bullet points for 5 and 4S camera.

Bgamer90

Banned
Is the camera much improved? The spec sheet on their site has the exact same bullet points for 5 and 4S camera.

In comparison to the iPhone 4 it is.

The 5 has a better camera than the 4S... same megapixels but it has a dynamic low-light mode and has updated software that gives you more options in ways to the camera.

Husker86

In comparison to the iPhone 4 it is.

The 5 has a better camera than the 4S... same megapixels but it has a dynamic low-light mode and has updated software that gives you more options in ways to the camera.

Oh oops, forgot about the original person he was responding too.

Well that's good to know, low light improvements are probably the most needed area of focus for cell cameras.

DJ88

Why would you ever need 720p on such a small screen?

Why not?a wider 4.5 inch full hd screen seems pretty awesome.

Because theres's always a certain point where your eyes can't perceive a noticeable difference at a normal viewing distance. Sure, maybe you'd see one if you held the phone right up to your nose, but I'd take faster performance and better battery life over that any day.

Osietra

Banned
If you were to make an analogy about the new iPhone 5 vs the iPhone 4s it'd be like a bunch of shepherds trying to remember what was unique about the last woolly romancings they had.

Sid

Ok so people are ok with the upgrade and feel this phone is rightly called the iphone 5 instead of 4s+ or something since the leap from the iphone 3g to 4 was huge and is not the case here?just curious.

Zaph

Huh? Selling back to Apple??
Reuse & Recycle

How much apple give you? I sold my iPhone 4 16gb for $300 last week
£230 according to their website estimate (64GB black). But I think a friend wants to match that now...

I wish this was possible in Sweden

right now I do not feel it is worth the cost to upgrade but if there is a price difference of only 200$ for to upgrade my 64gb 4S to a 64gb 5 I might do it.
Am considering doing it later this year when they only sell the 16 gb model of 4S, since it might increase the value of my phone
It is possible.

Zeth

The camera improvement seem really great. Had no idea about them until I watched the keynote video last night. Improved image processor with smart filters that do new tricks with noise reduction. Some kind of new low light mode too.

If low-light photography is a big deal for you, you need to be looking at the Lumia 920.

I'd be surprised if the iPhone 5 camera is significantly better than the 4S. There's only so much you can do with software. It might even be worse in some situations (because it had to be rebuilt to fit in a thinner housing).

Zeth

Ok so people are ok with the upgrade and feel this phone is rightly called the iphone 5 instead of 4s+ or something since the leap from the iphone 3g to 4 was huge and is not the case here?just curious.

This is a bigger jump than 3GS to 4. People aren't "ok" with it, they're ecstatic.

If low-light photography is a big deal for you, you need to be looking at the Lumia 920.

I'd be surprised if the iPhone 5 camera is significantly better than the 4S. There's only so much you can do with software. It might even be worse in some situations (because it had to be rebuilt to fit in a thinner housing).

I'm more than happy with the 4S camera. These improvements will just be icing on the cake for me.

btkadams

if you buy an iphone from apple, and don't like the colour choice after using it for a few days, are you able to exchange it for the other colour?

rozay

Banned

I think part of the reason they didn't focus a whole lot on the camera aside from mentioning that they were able to fit it into a smaller casing without compromise is that we will see almost identical performance. The fact that they had to advertise "sapphire crystal" as a buzzword for the camera is another indication.

The processor increase should help with camera app startup and how fast pictures are taken, but I'm unconvinced we'll see a very large difference in low light performance with just software updates; that generally requires better and/or bigger sensors.
I guess I would like to know this as well? I got black but white is teasing me.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I think part of the reason they didn't focus a whole lot on the camera aside from mentioning that they were able to fit it into a smaller casing without compromise is that we will see almost identical performance. The fact that they had to advertise "sapphire crystal" as a buzzword for the camera is another indication.

The processor increase should help with camera app startup and how fast pictures are taken, but I'm unconvinced we'll see a very large difference in low light performance with just software updates; that generally requires better and/or bigger sensors.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Agreed. They went straight into the panoramic thing as the 'wow' feature, even though that is entirely software, and I assume will be available on the 4S anyway.

elsk

Banned
Yeah, I doubt the iPhone 5 is going to be even as good as the 4S camera. They barely talked about it for a reason.

Top Bottom