• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Argyle

That 1601 also places it higher than any Android phone tested to date.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

From the other thread...nope. It is impressive it is clocked at 1 GHz, though, but still slower than the competition by a trivial amount.

US Galaxy S3 (Qualcomm S4 with dual Krait cores):
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/884649

International Galaxy S3 (Samsung Exynos with quad A9 cores):
vy7yqamu.jpg

LCfiner

yeah, if the camera is better in daily use it's because of speed and software. anything to make the camera fast, fast, fast is great. the smaller size is good as it allows for a thinner phone but it's not a selling point for the camera specifically.

maybe the low light improvement will be noticeable but I'm a little skeptical.

Oh, and the 4S does get panorama mode, which surprised me but I'll take it. I like how it works.

I guess I would like to know this as well? I got black but white is teasing me.
I tried this with an iPad 2, and they weren't having any of it. I was also exchanging it for a legitimate reason (image retention and backlight bleed). They replaced it, but it had to be the same colour.

btkadams

I tried this with an iPad 2, and they weren't having any of it. I was also exchanging it for a legitimate reason (image retention and backlight bleed). They replaced it, but it had to be the same colour.

ah ok. well, my order isn't shipping for a while so i guess i have time to decide/cancel my black order.

Zaph

hmm, not much. People are selling for around 375 -400 gbp here when I took a quick look.
I thought about ebaying it, but - 1) 4S prices are dropping fast, and will be even lower once the 5 is out and I'm ready to sell 2) CBA dealing with scammers/timewasters 3) even if I did manage a clean sale, after eBay/paypal fees, I would only be up £80 at best 4) inherent laziness factor.

Not worth the hassle IMO. Would rather just go for a quick sale to Apple or a friend.

rozay

Banned
Yeah, but iOS doesn't need brute force power to gain usability.
..."brute force power?" really? lol
I guess that's the only way to say it and deface the competition instead of being simply proud that apple's engineers can design chipsets with great performance at low clockspeeds.
I thought about ebaying it, but - 1) 4S prices are dropping fast, and will be even lower once the 5 is out and I'm ready to sell 2) CBA dealing with scammers/timewasters 3) even if I did manage a clean sale, after eBay/paypal fees, I would only be up £80 at best 4) inherent laziness factor.

Not worth the hassle IMO. Would rather just go for a quick sale to Apple or a friend.
Zaph, there's no local way to sell it other than eBay?

Question about the Lightning adapter. Will it work with my iPod Hi-fi? I know the adapter has a DAC, but I don't know if the iPod Hi-fi takes an analogue signal or digital. I'm not willing to buy a new speaker as I loooove my Hi-fi.

Zaph

..."brute force power?" really? lol

Zaph, there's no local way to sell it other than eBay?
We have Gumtree (like a UK craigslist), but I distinctly remember a guy getting stabbed in the heart not too far from where I live after he tried to buy a car through there...

rozay

Banned
We have Gumtree (like a UK craigslist), but I distinctly remember a guy getting stabbed in the heart not too far from where I live after he tried to buy a car through there...
That's sad, you really have to be careful with classifieds. If you bring a friend and insist on meeting your buyer in a public place, I think you will be okay though.

Looks like that guy was just told to meet them in a secluded street. Fucking scum.

btkadams

just cancelled my order. it was set to arrive weeks from now anyways. i just couldn't decide on the colour haha. i think i will go into a store to check out both models. my 4s is working great though, so i will likely just skip this upgrade.

iphone 5s for me, i guess? will nfc be ready next year?

8byte

Banned
Ugh, I got shafted by Sprint. Bought my iPhone 4 last year, expecting to be able to upgrade in a year since I was Premier Gold (before it got canned) and was supposed to be able to use the annual upgrade. Well, in June I added another phone to my line, and the Rep told me that it wouldn't impact my upgrade clock for that line.

I still have to contact customer service, but according to the Sprint website, that was bullshit, as I'm not eligible for upgrade, according to them. Really bites and pisses me off.

Zeth

just cancelled my order. it was set to arrive weeks from now anyways. i just couldn't decide on the colour haha. i think i will go into a store to check out both models. my 4s is working great though, so i will likely just skip this upgrade.

iphone 5s for me, i guess? will nfc be ready next year?

If you go by Schiller's comments after the keynote it sounds like they don't intend to go that direction. But we've heard that before.

X-Frame

No, because it's not run by Apple. Apple Store will only take recyclables.

Thanks. I don't trust any of those third-party programs that inspect electronics and then you have to trust that they'll be fair and give you what you deserve. No way, I've read a lot of horror stories about that.

I'll just take my chances selling it some other way.

Aurizen

so if i have an iphone 5, if i wanted to unlock it, i would need that carrier on contract and i wound't be able to do it myself. without an AT&T nano sim right?

Are any places selling cases yet for day 1 shipment? I remember my iPhone 4 going nekkid for a week after launch. Was so paranoid about dropping it...

Husker86

so if i have an iphone 5, if i wanted to unlock it, i would need that carrier on contract and i wound't be able to do it myself. without an AT&T nano sim right?
Your posts are getting more and more confusing.

Just tell us what your ultimate end goal is and we will try to tell you if it's possible or not and how to go about it.

Aurizen

Your posts are getting more and more confusing.

Just tell us what your ultimate end goal is and we will try to tell you if it's possible or not and how to go about it.

LOL! its confusing for me as well, sorry bear with me.

Ultimately I want one of the iphone 5 on tmobile without me having to already have AT&T service. how would it be possible.

I know of all the resell programs out there to send my old phone to, but does anyone do it in store? Like I can just take my old phone there and sell it direct and not have to wait?

I know tmobile will offer the nano sims, but could i unlock it without being on AT&T

You'd have to buy one off contract and hope it either comes unlocked like the 4S or hope a service like http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATT-AT-T-UN...947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec16ea2d3 works with the iPhone 5. T-Mobile won't be able to unlock it for you.

That being said since T-mobile won't even get nano sims until sometime in October you're probably better off just waiting for the phones to come unlocked directly from Apple.

raven777

If I get the unlocked iphone 5 from Canada store, can I still use it in US with ATT?

I don't have any contract with ATT so I would have to start a new contract without 2 year contract. would it be possible?

golem

If I get the unlocked iphone 5 from Canada store, can I still use it in US with ATT?

I don't have any contract with ATT so I would have to start a new contract without 2 year contract. would it be possible?

Yes my current iPhone is an unlocked one from Canada.. same bands.

iammeiam

Are any places selling cases yet for day 1 shipment? I remember my iPhone 4 going nekkid for a week after launch. Was so paranoid about dropping it...

Amazon has a few in-stock (a couple of Otterbox models, etc.), case-mate has a number available direct, and there are a ton of low-price options on eBay that'll ship out immediately.

I don't really like most of the current options, though, so I just picked up some cheap Poetic cases sold by a third-party on Amazon. They were like $4.95/each shipped, and will give me something to use until a case I actually like is ready. Plus if they don't fit quite right I won't be too terribly upset, since I got five cases for less than the cost of one 'real' case right now.

Top Bottom