• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

jts

...hate me...
I couldn't tell a difference
I did a blind test and eventually the 4S picture seemed more crisp to me.
Although it was clear they were taken with different lighting conditions (I thought it was weird but then I read the article).

Still, it's going to be a fine upgrade from my 4 camera.

def sim

Ah I should invest in a back up that isn't a feature phone.

Anyway, I can track my order via phone number now. Hooray it's in China.

You might not necessarily need a case. At least, not as much as you needed one for the 4 or 4S:

http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why...d-why-you-wont-need-a-case-for-your-iphone-5/

I always use a case. I get that there are some design reasons that make the iPhone 5 more resilient but at the end of the day I'll always use a case for my commute and at work. I always take it out of the case when I'm home. Since my place is all carpet I'm not worries about drops in the crib.

That and when I lay it on my desk a nekkid iphone gets scratches on its back.

Clipse

With the iPhone 5 not being able to do talk and data at the same time on Verizon's network, is there any idea how it might effect turn-by-turn navigation? Is it possible the phone could cache info so it could continue giving directions and take a quick call?

VoxPop

With the iPhone 5 not being able to do talk and data at the same time on Verizon's network, is there any idea how it might effect turn-by-turn navigation? Is it possible the phone could cache info so it could continue giving directions and take a quick call?

Wouldn't LTE have solved that problem?

Cloudy

Banned

How would it be different than using mapquest on iphone 4s and getting a call? (I'm a sprint user and you can't talk and surf there w/o wifi either). I assume the turn-by-turn functions inside the maps app so it just gets suspended when you get a call

it won't affect it at all as the route is cached well beforehand.

KtSlime

It should have, but somehow Apple did something to make that not possible it seems. I didn't use voice/data simultaneously often, but it's still sad that it won't be there for us CDMA folk.
To my understanding it has to do with how Apple uses its antennas. Since they work as a pair, they would have to have 3 to permit it to do CDMA and LTE at the same time. My bet is Apple is waiting for a standard to be chosen for VoIP on LTE, which should have been decided years ago.

Cloudy

Banned
What's the point of getting a bumper case at all on the 5? There's no more "death grip" issue, and I don't think the bumper really adds much protection...

I think it adds protection from falls at an angle. Also, you can lay it down without worrying about scratches

kitch9

Banned
From the other thread...nope. It is impressive it is clocked at 1 GHz, though, but still slower than the competition by a trivial amount.

US Galaxy S3 (Qualcomm S4 with dual Krait cores):
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/884649

International Galaxy S3 (Samsung Exynos with quad A9 cores):

My S3 pulls 1819 (Quad international.) Its the memory bandwidth that pulls the iPhone forward as its CPU scores quite a lot less than the S3.

Holy Wars

Banned
Ugh. I had to pay by Bank Transfer because my bank locked my debit card for "Fraud protection" (which they seem to do every 3 months, now payment has been processed I've been stuck with a 2-3 week delivery even though I ordered the second pre orders went up. The world is evil.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Ugh. I had to pay by Bank Transfer because my bank locked my debit card for "Fraud protection" (which they seem to do every 3 months, now payment has been processed I've been stuck with a 2-3 week delivery even though I ordered the second pre orders went up. The world is evil.
2-3 weeks? May as well wait for iPhone 5S.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Phone rep of the place where I bought my iPhone 3GS at is saying that I can't continue my current contract with the iPhone 5. Contracts are getting substantially more expensive compared to mine, even though they have completely gimped my current contract just last year.

Fucking assholes. Calling T-mobile on the 21st to see what they can hook me up with.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yeah it seems they are getting worse everywhere.

Low data caps, shitty pricing and nickel and diming for essentials like personal hotspot.

Fuck em.

Majine

Banned
maiden_data_center_sep12_1.jpg

Apple has a shitload of solar panels by their data center. iPhone 6 solar powered confirmed!

Do we know what the potential is for the iPhone 5 to get VoLTE on Verizon? I've read conflicting reports on when Verizon will be launching it but I did see next year as likely.

I'm already switching to Verizon from AT&T to get LTE and better coverage but I am having second thoughts about the fact that it can't do voice and data at the same time. I don't take that many calls a day so I don't think it will be a huge issue, but I am somewhat concerned about the possibility of not getting emails in case of emergency at work. Though I have thought about it and the only time I really use the data plan extensively is when I am outside away from my house, shopping or driving. I'd say a good 80%-90% of my day on average I am in an area with WiFi.

noah111

Still Alive
I just realized this thing is going to ship with iOS 6. It's going to be the first iPhone that ships without YouTube and Google Maps as stock apps. I suspect there'll be a lot of really confused folks in the aftermath..

Tobor

I just realized this thing is going to ship with iOS 6. It's going to be the first iPhone that ships without YouTube and Google Maps as stock apps. I suspect there'll be a lot of really confused folks in the aftermath..

Google Maps wasn't the name of the app. It's still Maps, just without Google data. The people you're talking about won't notice the difference.

YouTube links will open in mobile YouTube in Safari by default.

Cheebo

Banned
Well, it has a new maps app.Most won't even realize it no longer uses google maps likely.

I doubt many people will notice about Maps as long as it isn't horrible (I haven't tried it myself). Youtube on the other hand... ya.

Current YouTube app is terrible on my 4 and ipad3. So many link I click on that just won't work.

Cheebo

Banned
It will only continue to grow each launch. Since the 2 year contracts for 4S users will be up next fall in time for "5S" and the 4S launch was bigger than 4.

Top Bottom