• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

andycapps

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...p_for_iphone_5_outside_apples_fifth_ave_store

hd1Q1.jpg

Most of the customers who were in line Monday morning were hoping to gain attention for websites they were promoting, according to AppleInsider reader Ryan.

lookatmeimanattentionwhore.jpg

I'm wondering if those 2 million in pre-orders are just the pre-orders taken via Apple and don't include the carriers. I wouldn't be shocked.

4 million in 3 days of actual sales.

This is 2 million in 1 day of preorders, so the actual launch sales should easily beat the 4S.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/10/17iPhone-4S-First-Weekend-Sales-Top-Four-Million.html

Half that - 1 million.

Nuts.

I am wondering if that's truly a reflection of pent up demand for the iPhone 5 from upgraders, or the smartphone market really got that much of a bump this year.

Holy shit, how much would shipments be for the quarter? Above 40 million?

bionic77

I wonder if I will actually have to wait 2-3 weeks to get my phone. Pre-odered it on Apple around 7:30 am EST, so a little more than 4 hours after it went live. If I had to guess I would guess I am getting it on the 28th but the website says delivery on the 5th.

Also wonder how long this demand is going to last. My sister and Dad are also upgrading and they haven't even gone to their AT&T store to put in their order yet (they are old school). I could see it being sold out for a solid 2 months and then we will see what happens for x-mas.

Oxn

Damn it man, I was really hoping to walk into my local Verizon store during lunch hours of release day to pick up 2.

Whats my expected wait time now? 2 weeks?

Gaaraz

Upgrading from an iPhone 4 - just wondering, apart from the slightly bigger screen, what other improvements does the iPhone 5 bring to the table? Most of the software seems like it'd run just fine on the 4S so I'm tempted by that now too.

And then just hope for an improved camera, NFC etc in the next iPhone...

Zeth

I wonder if I will actually have to wait 2-3 weeks to get my phone. Pre-odered it on Apple around 7:30 am EST, so a little more than 4 hours after it went live. If I had to guess I would guess I am getting it on the 28th but the website says delivery on the 5th.

Also wonder how long this demand is going to last. My sister and Dad are also upgrading and they haven't even gone to their AT&T store to put in their order yet (they are old school). I could see it being sold out for a solid 2 months and then we will see what happens for x-mas.

I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised when they get it earlier than 2-3 weeks. A LOT of people were trying to get through those overloaded sites, and there will surely be many cancellations. That and Apple has been fairly generous with ship times when they're pushed back in the past.

I feel like the availability should definitely stabilize by xmas if they've done anything to improve their supply chain.

Upgrading from an iPhone 4 - just wondering, apart from the slightly bigger screen, what other improvements does the iPhone 5 bring to the table? Most of the software seems like it'd run just fine on the 4S so I'm tempted by that now too.

Upgrading from the 4 will get you more than 3x the computing power, which will make things extremely snappy and really improve gaming/camera performance. Everyone has their own opinions, but the physical design of the iPhone 5 is one of the biggest reasons I'm upgrading. It looks insanely sexy, light, and thin. Improved media/browsing with the slightly bigger screen is just icing on the cake.

bionic77

Much faster and different shape. Otherwise mostly software. Supposedly feels amazing in your hands, not sure if I buy that, a lot of girls will just say that so your feelings don't get hurt.

Don't get a 4S, the battery sucks on it. I am hoping Apple fixes it on the 5 or else I am jumping ship in 18-24 months to a Nexus if they can get me dat battery life.

iPhone 5 was pretty disappointing to me. After owning nothing but iPhones for the last ~4 years, I've just picked up a Samsung GS3. Feels cheap compared to my iPhone 4, but that screen... God damn! Hopefully I wont regret it. Going to have to start learning Android tonight.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

It's faster, thinner, lighter and taller. That's it I think. Iphone 4 runs pretty damn badly under ios6. so that would be the biggest reason to upgrade IMO.

bionic77

I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised when they get it earlier than 2-3 weeks. A LOT of people were trying to get through those overloaded sites, and there will surely be many cancellations. That and Apple has been fairly generous with ship times when they're pushed back in the past.

I feel like the availability should definitely stabilize by xmas if they've done anything to improve their supply chain.
Possible but remember even Chinese people have to sleep (their allotted 4 hours before getting back on the line). Who the hell knows though. I certainly can't predict these things and it is further complicated by people's contracts.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I camped at the Meadowhall Apple Store for the iPad3, as the previous year the queue was around the block. I needn't have bothered, they had plenty of stock in and folks were popping in later in the day and coming out with them.
I'm apprehensive about queuing again. But this might be different.

bionic77

iPhone 5 was pretty disappointing to me. After owning nothing but iPhones for the last ~4 years, I've just picked up a Samsung GS3. Feels cheap compared to my iPhone 4, but that screen... God damn! Hopefully I wont regret it. Going to have to start learning Android tonight.
I would have gone with a Nexus, but honestly most smartphones work now so it is not a big deal. I could not say that about Android phones a few years ago.

It is nice that we have choices. Before it was iPhone4 or something worse (to be fair, those things usually had more features, but when the battery life and general usage is shit then I am not interested).

Enjoy the TouchWiz and report back with impressions!

Tobor

I camped at the Meadowhall Apple Store for the iPad3, as the previous year the queue was around the block. I needn't have bothered, they had plenty of stock in and folks were popping in later in the day and coming out with them.
I'm apprehensive about queuing again. But this might be different.

Same. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Marco1

I am AMAZED that O2 are not sending nano-sims out through post to people that ask for them.
I am buying my phone from apple directly and have pulled out of the 18 month contract as I want to be in control of how much and when I want to pay my bill.
O2 don't want this, they want me tied to them for 24 months so they obviously don't want my custom anymore.
I've been with them for 18 years now and that's obviously not enough.
S***W Y**U O2!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm looking at getting this one, plus an extra cable. I never like the branded ones with those retractable cables. Seems to put too much pressure on the connection

That looks good except the few bad reviews that say it melted their cables....

I meant like a desktop dock. But yeah, I think I'll pick up some sort of GPS-style mount for the 5.

I'd like both docks. One for my bed-side table and one for using GPS in my car. Hopefully accessories come out quick.

I backed the elevation dock on kickstarter and at this rate, will have an iPhone 5 before receiving the dock for my previous phone.

At least they've said they'll make an adaptor you can just switch out for iPhone 5 compatibility. Hopefully that happens before iPhone 6.

njean777

I guess some people want to be part of the "experience".

iOS 6 lanuches Wednesday right? I just want new iTunes! That's the best part of this whole announcement! When you get invested in the "iAtmosphere" the cloud, movies pictures, music is really a cool neat and awesome feature.

Also I think after my two years is up I'm ditching Verizon and going to Sprint, it's cheaper...unlimted data on 4G too. Anyone have any bad experiences with Sprint?

Sprint has the worst data speeds compared to both Verizon and ATT, also has the least amount of coverage. You may want to go to the sprint store in your area and try a week trial before. I did and after that week I returned the phone and did not stay with them. There 3g is really really slow, 4g is shoddy as well with connections, and their LTE is non-existent right now. I would stay with Verizon or go ATT for the next two years so you can see how sprint develops their network.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I backed the elevation dock on kickstarter and at this rate, will have an iPhone 5 before receiving the dock for my previous phone.

At least they've said they'll make an adaptor you can just switch out for iPhone 5 compatibility. Hopefully that happens before iPhone 6.

Have they not shipped those docks yet?

Soybean

I got my elevation dock months ago, but their latest update noted they still have 15% of the Kickstarter orders to ship out. Crazy!

It's a great product. I hope they have an adapter soon.

Marco1

I'm hoping to pop-in about 10 to the apple store and see if I can get a 32GB Black.
If not then I'll wait for my pre-order that's due October.
I used to love midnight launches of consoles and games but I'm older now with kids and don't have the time or patience for queues.
They can be great though because you're surrounded my like-minded people.

andycapps

That looks good except the few bad reviews that say it melted their cables....

Oh wow, I missed those. I looked at the first few ones. I've had several car chargers that were official ones and just had bad luck. Was looking for a generic one with good reviews that has a usb connection so I can just use the official cable to connect to my phone.

There are these two. I didn't even know Amazon was making accessories but theirs has good reviews. Or this one.

Christopher

oh ok so you can keep your unlimited data when you upgrade? I was under the impression that you LOOSE the unlimted and get switched to this "Share Everything" plan.

I without a doubt use the most data out of everyone on our plan and didn't want to be forced in this share everything crap.

SuperPac

My 5 is in Incheon, Korea. Funny how Apple doesn't even show it as shipped when it has. :)

2 million in 24 hours is pretty nutty. Looking forward to reading the reviews which will undoubtedly hit Wednesday night eh?

I got my elevation dock months ago, but their latest update noted they still have 15% of the Kickstarter orders to ship out. Crazy!

It's a great product. I hope they have an adapter soon.

just checked out the video for it, it looks awesome. I'll wait for an iPhone 5 version

Hari Seldon

oh ok so you can keep your unlimited data when you upgrade? I was under the impression that you LOOSE the unlimted and get switched to this "Share Everything" plan.

I without a doubt use the most data out of everyone on our plan and didn't want to be forced in this share everything crap.

I just pre-ordered mine and it looked like it kept the exact grandfathered plan I had.

lookatmeimanattentionwhore.jpg

I'm wondering if those 2 million in pre-orders are just the pre-orders taken via Apple and don't include the carriers. I wouldn't be shocked.

I believe it was all carrier and Apple sales. A friend of mine manages an AT&T store said they shattered all their previous sales records for a single day's sales. Apple would definitely include all those numbers to make it sound extra impressive.

andycapps

I believe it was all carrier and Apple sales. A friend of mine manages an AT&T store said they shattered all their previous sales records for a single day's sales. Apple would definitely include all those numbers to make it sound extra impressive.

You're probably right. I just didn't know if the carriers would relay that information back to them in time, but we're talking about Apple so I'm sure they have the klout to get that kind of reportable data back from all the carriers around the world if they want it. 2 million just in pre-orders is nuts. I'm glad I got my pre-order in on time to get one on Friday.

Sprint's site still just shows that it's processing and should be to me by 9/21. I don't have tracking updates untiul it ships unlike those of you that ordered via Apple.

Gaaraz

Thanks all, regarding thinner/lighter/better looking etc, I bought my iPhone 4 on day one, and straight away stuck it into a 69p jelly case which made it look bloody awful, and a bit bigger anyway - I imagine I'd do the exact same with the 5 because it's so practical.

A bigger screen would be nice, but I'm disappointed they've basically just made it a bit taller. Seems like a bit of a cop out to me - can't be bothered to tweak the OS beyond just adding another row.

I'm seriously considering just being behind the curve, and getting a yearly update - always one phone model behind. Not sure how much I'd save that way over the buying new and keeping for two years that I do now.

Crimmy

Those people are probably camping out just to scap their phone on ebay...

Or maybe attention whoring as someone else suggested.

Top Bottom