• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Since I blew my chance at an online pre-order I am already planning my camping strategy. I have a feeling that this will be the greatest demand for a new iPhone yet so I'm already prepping myself for a possible midnight-to-8am marathon. Bought a camping chair at Big 5 this weekend :)

dude, what the fuck?
you write movies that people go see in theaters.
why stoop to this level?

Since I blew my chance at an online pre-order I am already planning my camping strategy. I have a feeling that this will be the greatest demand for a new iPhone yet so I'm already prepping myself for a possible midnight-to-8am marathon. Bought a camping chair at Big 5 this weekend :)
You can still preorder online, you'd just need to wait two weeks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If the UPS trick didn't work for you your phone might've been one of the few shipped FedEx - you can search by reference number there too (Track link in the top nav of the site).

Not working for me on either. You just put your phone number for the reference number (no hyphens) right? Ship date of last Friday or before?

Just get errors on my end.

Marco1

How long would i be expected to queue for?
I will have to be back to pick-up my son at 12.
Is it possible that you will queue all day?

it just seems so sad, is all.

And don't get me wrong, I am squarely in the "fuck-yeah-iPhone 5" camp.
Meh, I think it's kind of fun. I've had a great time with friends and other people on some of the other campouts I've done.

People expect you to walk in, flash your "Hollywood badge" and somehow get a free iPhone while walking over the heads of the poor peasants with not-so-cool jobs.
That only works if you're John Stamos. Screenwriters not so much. Sorkin maybe.

Holy shit, I just heard there were TWO MILLION pre-orders? Yeah, this is going to be a long line.

Zeppu

Um...people have already started camping. I think you should GO. RIGHT. NOW.

SuperPac

Not working for me on either. You just put your phone number for the reference number (no hyphens) right? Ship date of last Friday or before?

Just get errors on my end.

Yes, phone number attached to the Apple Store account you ordered from. When I searched for mine I didn't put in a ship date but the range was the last five days or so.

TwIsTeD

hmmm it came up with my billing phone # haha...i got 2 iPhone 5s in Korea go baby go...I`m using my old 3gs and its hurting my eyes

noah111

Still Alive
Oh nice, be sure to post pics of the line if it's significant.

What does my job have to do with anything?
d66d5f63-210a-42be-986f-df416cae8ab7.gif

Oh cool, your kid is sleeping through the night. Congrats!

Tobor

I don't see what Gary's job has to do with it. If I were him, I'd be more likely to wait in line, not less.

As it is, I have some meetings on Friday I'd have to reschedule, and everybody in the office would know why. Lol.

andycapps

Meh, I think it's kind of fun. I've had a great time with friends and other people on some of the other campouts I've done.

I camped out for MGS4. LOL Now that was a good time.

If I didn't have to work the next day or if I chose my own schedule I wouldn't mind doing it, but to stay up all night and drive straight to work and be unable to use my brand new phone? No way. I'll just work from home Friday and play with it all day when it arrives.

LiK

So if I order the ubsibsidized phone on Verizon's site, will I keep my unlimited data plan? or should I go to a Verizon store?

Pretty much, and I already negotiated that night off anyway :)

I'm just glad my upgrade cycle wasn't when my girl was still waking up in the middle of the night. There's no way I would have been able to pull that one off =) Granted, that window was small, but still, I'd get the dirtiest look =)

Enco

I keep hearing how the 920 is so beautiful but I don't see it.

Honestly it looks kinda crap.

And those comparisons are hilarious. Hopefully no one takes them seriously.

noah111

Still Alive
Doesn't Wozniak also wait in line for whatever new release? He's sometimes the very first to get there, too. I think he goes to a different Apple store every year but i'm not sure. How cool would it be to see that, though.

That's one of the guys who without Apple may not exist. Even if he doesn't have an active role at all, it's cool to know he's respectable.

Cheebo

Banned
Doesn't Wozniak also wait in line for whatever new release? He's sometimes the very first to get there, too. I think he goes to a different Apple store every year but i'm not sure. How cool would it be to see that, though.

That's one of the guys who without Apple may not exist. Even if he doesn't have an active role at all, it's cool to know he's respectable.

He still technically works there. He is on the active payroll and gets his health care from Apple still. He says his employee id is up to date and he can access any building on the Apple campus.

VoxPop

I remember camping out for the PS3 back in my freshman year of college. That was just terrible. Made an easy $1500 on each PS3 though. I don't understand why these people didn't just camp in front of their computers and preorder and save themselves the trouble of catching hypothermia.

noah111

Still Alive
He still technically works there. He is on the active payroll and gets his health care from Apple still. He says his employee id is up to date and he can access any building on the Apple campus.
Oh I know, but he still doesn't have an active role at all. :p

Blackhead

Redarse
I waited in line for the iPad 2 (sales started at 5pm o_O), the iPhone 4S and iPad 3. But I'm now resigned to not getting the iPhone 5 at launch. I'll wait until the unlocked iPhones are in stock and all the kinks are worked out i.e. transit apps, messaging, new itunes app, smartwatches and perhaps even a jailbreak...
I'm out

bonesquad

That only works if you're John Stamos. Screenwriters not so much. Sorkin maybe.

Holy shit, I just heard there were TWO MILLION pre-orders? Yeah, this is going to be a long line.

I can't be the only one who suddenly wishes John Stamos was a GAFer. How cool would that be. I camped out 12 hours for the Wii. Played some multiplayer DS with random people. Good times...never again. At least if I can avoid it.

I don't think I'll upgrade my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 and just wait for the 5 on Friday to give it more of a new feeling.

Uncle Jesse!? hahaha so many memories...

I am curious-any NYCity Gafers in line at 5th ave. apple store? if so, how are you combating the boredom?

*prays my preorder is still good through apple.com

Flo_Evans

Going to roll up to the AT&T store right by my house maybe an hour before opening.

No one really camps at AT&T stores. If I can't get one oh well, will put my name in for a list.

andycapps

Anyone with Sprint get shipping confirmation yet?

My update hasn't moved from the day I pre ordered.

Nothing yet, I don't think we'll see anything change until about Wednesday. Maybe even Thursday. I don't think Sprint is updating us until it gets shipped from their warehouses.

I think everyone that's posting about shipping updates all ordered through Apple.

PandaJones

Unconfirmed Member
It won't even be my longest campout, did longer for the Wii. At least on this one I'll be getting something I'll actually use.
Ignore all the haters Gary! Even Woz himself queues for the iPhone. You're in good company.
I, however, will have mine delivered at work lol
Good luck camping dude <3!

Top Bottom