• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

noah111

Still Alive
Posted?

Nokia-fans-ad-Samsung-style.jpeg

I don't think Samsung realizes what they've started. :lol

Actually, this makes the Nokia look much better than Galaxy IMHO. I really think Windows 8 phones are pretty good. Going to consider one next upgrade cycle if Apple doesn't pick things up.

This of course is dependent on MS having a very good app store in 2 years time. (DLNA is actually something I would love to have on my iPhone)

Nice! If the Lumia 920 had a better GPU (it's comparable to the gpu in other smart phones including the galaxy s3 but the iPhone 5s is at least twice as good), I would opt for it over the iPhone.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Actually, this makes the Nokia look much better than Galaxy IMHO. I really think Windows 8 phones are pretty good. Going to consider one next upgrade cycle if Apple doesn't pick things up.

This of course is dependent on MS having a very good app store in 2 years time. (DLNA is actually something I would love to have on my iPhone)
It is much better.

The Lumia 920 is one sexy phone (certainly more attractive than the S3) with an excellent feature set.

Posted?
I don't think Samsung realizes what they've started. :lol

I see they didn't mention the price, the quality of material used nor the difference in the app market between the 2 phones. I like their phone, but man I just can't ever buy a windows phone. I don't think they will ever come close to catching up in the app market with android and apple. Plus I just don't like Microsoft products that much anymore.

Possibly why they skipped on comparing the chips and GPU as well?

this is the ONLY other phone I was considering with the iPhone 5. I'd be greatly disappointed if it doesn't hold its own in GPU. Not that I game much on phones, but I don't want to be stuck with a bullshit GPU for 2 years either.

Blackhead

Redarse
I see they didn't mention the price, the quality of material used nor the difference in the app market between the 2 phones.
They already mentioned Microsoft office and live tiles (app market) for the Nokia 920 but—you're right—the 920 will be at a lower price and is made of high-quality durable plastic with nice curves so the Nokia column should be longer ;')

noah111

Still Alive

Agreed, the bullet points for the galaxy were just really selective and weak, whereas the Lumia actually consists of entirely legitimate points to prove it's better qualified. Good on whoever put that together.

Am I the only one that thinks the Nokia designs are hideous. I'm mean they look like cheap iPod nanos. Something you would buy for your teenage daughter.

I just don't get the love for it.
At least it's a unique design. The plastic colors make it look really cheap, but the black matte option is actually quite sexy.

They already mentioned Microsoft office and live tiles (app market) for the Nokia 920 but—you're right—the 920 will be at a lower price and is made of high-quality durable plastic with nice curves so the Nokia column should be longer ;')

Longer to make it more embarrassing for them I guess.

TwIsTeD

will people that ordered the iphone 5 from apple get it before the release date like we did with the iphone 4?

That was a pretty cool perk...but they corrected that with the 4S and new iPad so i`m sure a few will but not the masses like we did with the 4

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The 920 is a fantastic phone. A lot of things conveniently left out of that 'ad' but still a fantastic phone. It's a shame it runs WP. Better than Android I guess.
Windows Phone is awesome, though. It's simply the lack of support (as well as a few missing features) that really hold it back.

So much more appealing than Android, that's for sure.

Dany

Banned
for folks who got their 4S a day early, was it random or in the morning did it say "out for delivery' so you'd at least know it would be coming that day

noah111

Still Alive
The 920 is a fantastic phone. A lot of things conveniently left out of that 'ad' but still a fantastic phone. It's a shame it runs WP. Better than Android I guess.
Well i'm glad that the group of people who love the Windows Phone OS finally have a product that could actually justify using it. If it wasn't for being stuck in the Apple eco, i'd actually consider getting it.

andycapps

Windows Phone is awesome, though. It's simply the lack of support (as well as a few missing features) that really hold it back.

I haven't actually used one yet, I don't know anybody that has one. I loved my Zune though and it seems heavily influenced by the Metro UI that they came up with on the Zune HD. Which was just an awesome device, shame that they never promoted it well or did anything with it.

Jelly Bean is a great OS and Android as an ecosystem is light years ahead of WP, though WP is probably the most unique OS out there IMO. Apple has the ecosystem for me, and the OS is definitely good enough which is why I'm looking forward to putting my EVO to rest on Ebay and getting my 5 this Friday.

Phone is currently in Nashville. That's one freakin state away, why's the delivery date the 21st again? :l
Also, I would totally switch over to a lumia if the software ecosystem was there

Branson

So do you absolutely have to sign for the phone? I don't think anyone is going to be home Friday during the day.
Most of the time they just leave stuff on my porch. Lol.

So do you absolutely have to sign for the phone? I don't think anyone is going to be home Friday during the day.
Someone mentioned earlier that you can sign some release form? I know Staples allowed you to do that when I ordered the Nexus 7, maybe there's something on Apple's page

sangreal

just call fedex or leave a note

If it's UPS, just sign up for UPS MyChoice (free).

My delivery guys absolutely always leave stuff on my porch, except for shipments from Apple. Pre-sign the waiver.

I'm going to be home Friday and will still be pre-signing just in case.

Maxim726X

Serious question: Why?

I have an Android phone right now and it does everything I want it to do... The only thing that frustrates me is the (relative) lack of app support compared to the iPhone.

If Android is lacking in that department, I can only imagine what WP has to contend with.

andycapps

Serious question: Why?

I have an Android phone right now and it does everything I want it to do... The only thing that frustrates me is the (relative) lack of app support compared to the iPhone.

If Android is lacking in that department, I can only imagine what WP has to contend with.

I'd assume he's talking about inconsistency in UI and lack of snappiness with it. The latter is really a non issue past ICS and certainly with JB. Inconsistency I can see, but it's come a long way.

what carrier do you have?

Mines still preparing for shipment

Mine is coming via UPS. According to Apple, it's still preparing to ship, but when I used the trick to track it on UPS.com, it shows that it's actually made it's way from China to Korea and is still scheduled to be here on the 21st.

Since I blew my chance at an online pre-order I am already planning my camping strategy. I have a feeling that this will be the greatest demand for a new iPhone yet so I'm already prepping myself for a possible midnight-to-8am marathon. Bought a camping chair at Big 5 this weekend :)

Top Bottom