• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Hey guys, quick question. I was originally going to ship my iPhone 4 off to Gazelle but decided to sell it to a coworker for $50. $150 loss on my part, but he's been using a T-Mobile Dash running some terrible version of Windows Mobile for ages so I took pity on the poor guy.

I'm currently off contract with AT&T (at least until Friday, I guess!) but would prefer to NOT have to unlock the phone because I don't want to go through the backup and restore process right before iOS 6 comes out. Once I give him my old phone, can he sim unlock it himself? This will be after I've transitioned over to my iPhone 5.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Serious question: Why?

I have an Android phone right now and it does everything I want it to do... The only thing that frustrates me is the (relative) lack of app support compared to the iPhone.

If Android is lacking in that department, I can only imagine what WP has to contend with.
GUI fluidity and consistency. The user experience on Android, even in version 4, is still less than optimal. The iPhone and Windows Phone both deliver more consistently smooth experiences with lesser hardware.

Samsung can pimp the specs of their S3 all day long but that doesn't change the fact that Android still suffers from hiccups and various other blemishes. It's improved a lot as of late and I could definitely get by with an Android, but I just really have a thing for perfect refresh rates, smooth zooming and scrolling, and generally brisk performance. With the iPhone 4S I'm using now everything just runs so very smoothly. Tasks FEEL responsive and quick. Windows Phone is the same.

Android, though, just isn't. Scrolling through lists, pinching to zoom, and swiping between home screens all feels less consistent. Those little hiccups are enough to keep me away.

Hey guys, quick question. I was originally going to ship my iPhone 4 off to Gazelle but decided to sell it to a coworker for $50. $150 loss on my part, but he's been using a T-Mobile Dash running some terrible version of Windows Mobile for ages so I took pity on the poor guy.

I'm currently off contract with AT&T (at least until Friday, I guess!) but would prefer to NOT have to unlock the phone because I don't want to go through the backup and restore process right before iOS 6 comes out. Once I give him my old phone, can he sim unlock it himself? This will be after I've transitioned over to my iPhone 5.

you can actually request an unlock directly through at&t. they will do it for free if you meet their conditions (looks like you are off contract so you should be good).

another option (for your friend) is to tell him about imei unlocks online. there are a lot of websites out there that do permanent imei unlocks and can do it for under $50. they are totally legit as well (used them myself for a few phones and they work 100% of the time). i actually saw someone on ebay selling an at&t iphone unlock for under $20. thats how cheap they've gotten.

noah111

Still Alive
Lol,"you can do anything because of this 4 inch display ANYTHING" wtf was that?
I don't know but that guy was convincing. This part made me laugh so hard.

"For iPhone 5 we started with a design that we really loved, but to build it we had to look way into the future.
So, we basically built the iPhone 9, and then worked backwards.
And lemme tell you, once we figure out this numbering system in seven to eight years when the iPhone 9 comes out, it's going to blow your mind.
Amazing. Extraordinary. Revolutionary.
Extramazinarylutioning.
Adjective."

What the hell is wrong with people that they would actually consider waiting in front of a store for over 4 days for a phone?

Edit:

iPhone 5 Sales Predicted to Hit 8 Million Units in Launch Weekend That is an insane number...

I don't...

WHAT?

surely not.

"iPhone 5 outsells Call of Duty; costs 5x as much to buy"

8 million is insane. How do you ship that many of anything in one effort.
well it seems they got the final design in production a lot earlier than in the past, and they do have several ridiculous launches worth of experience over the last few years to improve their launch supplies and product availability.

"iPhone 5 outsells Call of Duty; costs 5x as much to buy"

8 million is insane. How do you ship that many of anything in one effort.

Yeah but Call of Duty sucks, so there's that.

Also, based on how long we've seen leaks of essentially the final design and final parts I wouldn't be surprised if production started quite a while back.

Nothing yet, I don't think we'll see anything change until about Wednesday. Maybe even Thursday. I don't think Sprint is updating us until it gets shipped from their warehouses.

I think everyone that's posting about shipping updates all ordered through Apple.

Yeah mine just says congrats your one step closer etc.............

numble

They are launching in more countries.

iPhone 4S:
United States
Canada
United Kingdom
Australia
Germany
France
Japan

iPhone 5:
Australia
Canada
France
Germany
Hong Kong (China scalper land)
Japan
Singapore
United States
United Kingdom

They are launching in more countries.

iPhone 4S:
United States
Canada
United Kingdom
Australia
Germany
France
Japan

iPhone 5:
Australia
Canada
France
Germany
Hong Kong (China scalper land)
Japan
Singapore

United States
United Kingdom

Sucks that they have to wait until the 21st for their phones, even though they live right next to the factories that produce them.

LaneDS

To anyone that upgraded through the Verizon Wireless website- have you seen your credit card charged yet? I haven't, and am wondering if that's what other people are seeing as well.

MajorPain

Anyone know who has better 4G service ATT, Verizon or Sprint?

I am in Chicago and currently have an iphone 4 ATT there 3G is ok but I do average about 1 dropped call a day.

AngryMoth

Still no order confirmation. Can see myself getting up early on friday at this rate. Outside of London what's the situation usually like for big apple launches in the UK? Big lines, sell outs? Also I think I heard Currys usually has units but no one ever looks there

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Still no order confirmation. Can see myself getting up early on friday at this rate. Outside of London what's the situation usually like for big apple launches in the UK? Big lines, sell outs? Also I think I heard Currys usually has units but no one ever looks there

Where did you order?

I need to buy 2 unlocked iPhones 16gb and 32gb, Can I get them from the Apple Store?

You would like to buy

TwIsTeD

I am in Chicago and currently have an iphone 4 ATT there 3G is ok but I do average about 1 dropped call a day.

Verizon works great in Chicago when i`m there for work (LTE Coverage)

I just dont trust Sprints LTE network, or lack of one I should say

I ordered through the AT&T website early Friday morning, about 7am. No mention regarding shipping dates, just the standard email that stated they will ship as early as 9/21. Has anyone ordered recently through their website, as in the past day or 2, and is it now saying anything different regarding their shipping dates? If it's the same message, I feel like maybe I shouldn't be expecting a package this Friday as my status is still pending.

sikkinixx

I'm a bit sad I need to wait until October 9th for my unlocked one ordered 4 hours after it went live while contract-ers can get it in store day one.

Oh well

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I ordered through the AT&T website early Friday morning, about 7am. No mention regarding shipping dates, just the standard email that stated they will ship as early as 9/21. Has anyone ordered recently through their website, as in the past day or 2, and is it now saying anything different regarding their shipping dates? If it's the same message, I feel like maybe I shouldn't be expecting a package this Friday as my status is still pending.

Yeah, mine still says 'processing'. Ordered around 10am Friday. Highly doubtful you will see the phone anytime this week or early next.

Doesn't Wozniak also wait in line for whatever new release? He's sometimes the very first to get there, too. I think he goes to a different Apple store every year but i'm not sure. How cool would it be to see that, though.

That's one of the guys who without Apple may not exist. Even if he doesn't have an active role at all, it's cool to know he's respectable.
Yes he does. Last year he was camped out overnight for the 4S so I went and paid him a visit!

0NFf1.jpg

Tobor

I don't...

WHAT?

surely not.

It makes perfect sense. The 4S had 1 million day 1 preorders, and 4 million launch weekend sales. The 5 just had 2 million day 1 preorders, therefore...

Of course, this means they made 8 million phones for launch, which would be stunning and unheard of. They'll sell everything they make, so how many did they make? That's the question.

andycapps

Verizon works great in Chicago when i`m there for work (LTE Coverage)

I just dont trust Sprints LTE network, or lack of one I should say

Sprint has LTE coming to Chicago and "launching" (meaning 40-50% complete) by end of year and coverage will continue to fill out after that. They may already have some LTE coverage there, you could check Sensorly for that. As far as who has the biggest LTE network right now, Verizon. Sprint's may eventually surpass everyone's, especially for rural areas as every area with 3G will also have LTE. The whole thing will be done by end of next year.

Edit: Sensorly's site confused me. It looked like Sprint's LTE coverage was already built out, but that was Wimax. Looks like LTE doesn't have much charted on Sensorly yet.

Just noticed some additional things

1. Front Camera now has backside illumination sensor

2. iPhone 5 and 4S can use facetime on cellular, for some reason 4 cannot

3. iPhone 5 has face detection on Photos and Videos

4. iPhone 5 has a higher standby time than iPhone 4S but lower than iPhone 4.

Zaph

T-Mobile (UK) saying nobody will receive theirs on the 21st because that's the date they arrive at their own warehouse.

But they said the same thing about the 4S, which ended up arriving on launch day!

Gonna start sacrificing small animals in hopes of whatever mojo happened last year happens again...

you can actually request an unlock directly through at&t. they will do it for free if you meet their conditions (looks like you are off contract so you should be good).

another option (for your friend) is to tell him about imei unlocks online. there are a lot of websites out there that do permanent imei unlocks and can do it for under $50. they are totally legit as well (used them myself for a few phones and they work 100% of the time). i actually saw someone on ebay selling an at&t iphone unlock for under $20. thats how cheap they've gotten.
Thanks! I submitted the form after all, don't want to cause the guy any more financial hardship. Now I wonder what'll happen if the unlock comes through after I've transitioned to my iPhone 5!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just noticed some additional things

1. Front Camera now has backside illumination sensor

2. iPhone 5 and 4S can use facetime on cellular, for some reason 4 cannot

3. iPhone 5 has face detection on Photos and Videos

4. iPhone 5 has a higher standby time than iPhone 4S but lower than iPhone 4.

4S has face detection already

Top Bottom