• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

noah111

Still Alive
Yes he does. Last year he was camped out overnight for the 4S so I went and paid him a visit!

0NFf1.jpg
That's awesome. And weird, as I was literally going to say you just might run into him in the iPhone 5 campout, but it looks like that's been there done that territory for you. :lol

On videos as well as photos?
Does the iPad 3 have it on videos as well? I forget.

Zeppu

It's utterly ridiculous that the Woz doesn't get one of everything ever produced by Apple on his doorstep on launch.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hi guys. I've been trying to keep up with this thread but it's moving ultra fast.

I'm planning on preordering a new iPod touch from apple.com and it's my first time. I'm wondering if the money will come off my card right away or when it ships. I'm just kinda new to the whole preordering thing, and have NEVER done it with Apple before.

So hyped!!!

Hi guys. I've been trying to keep up with this thread but it's moving ultra fast.

I'm planning on preordering a new iPod touch from apple.com and it's my first time. I'm wondering if the money will come off my card right away or when it ships. I'm just kinda new to the whole preordering thing, and have NEVER done it with Apple before.

So hyped!!!
You don't get charged until the product physically ships from apple.

One thing I did notice when pre ordering my 4S last year, and this is true with mostly every online retailer, is that once you press that pre order button or make a purchase, the money is "reserved" on your credit card. So even before shipping let's say you have a $1000 limit, and the phone is $500, you now only have access to $500 on your card. Even before the product ships.

It makes sense that would happen but I only just noticed that last year.

I'm not sure anyone else feels this way, but one of the killer features/upgrades on the 5 for me is the microphone on the back. I can't tell you how many times I covered the bottom mic on accident while recording video which of course drowns out the sound.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
You don't get charged until the product physically ships from apple.

One thing I did notice when pre ordering my 4S last year, and this is true with mostly every online retailer, is that once you press that pre order button or make a purchase, the money is "reserved" on your credit card. So even before shipping let's say you have a $1000 limit, and the phone is $500, you now only have access to $500 on your card. Even before the product ships.

It makes sense that would happen but I only just noticed that last year.

Hey, thanks a lot. I just get kinda scared having things "pending" on my card. I'm kinda nervous about playing with stuff like that.

I guess I'll just need to be super vigilant until it ships.

Marco1

I have pre-ordered a 32GB Black online but it says delivery will be 5th Oct. onwards.
I now ant to queue at my local store in Belfast UK but won't be able to make it until 10:00AM because of other commitments.
How long am I expected to stand in the queues usually and will I need my sim-card with me if I manage to snag a phone?
Thanks.

That's awesome. Which store do you usually hit? I'm probably camping @ The Grove's Apple Store.
Oh God the Grove will be a nightmare.

Haven't decided what store to hit yet, all I know is it will NOT be the SF downtown store, that one is always NUTS.

The Woz pic is from the Los Gatos store.

I have pre-ordered a 32GB Black online but it says delivery will be 5th Oct. onwards.
I now ant to queue at my local store in Belfast UK but won't be able to make it until 10:00AM because of other commitments.
How long am I expected to stand in the queues usually and will I need my sim-card with me if I manage to snag a phone?
Thanks.

You do not need your SIM card. The length of your line will vary by how busy it is. Busy stores can have you in line for over 2 hours. Especially since you won't get there until 10a

bionic77

I keep checking the Apple order status throughout the day in the slim hope that it will ship faster than the 2 weeks estimated.

I ordered mine through the verizon site on Friday morning, after apple.com completely glitched out and had serious issues accessing my vzw account. Verizon says that the phone will be delivered by the 26th. We'll see.

Marco1

You do not need your SIM card. The length of your line will vary by how busy it is. Busy stores can have you in line for over 2 hours. Especially since you won't get there until 10a
Thanks, I will try the queue in the hope of being lucky but I need to be back to pickup my son but I'm doing nothing else so I'll give it a try.
No harm in trying.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I keep checking the Apple order status throughout the day in the slim hope that it will ship faster than the 2 weeks estimated.
Lol. You and me both. I might cruise by some apple stores and best buys this weekend and see if I can snag one to cancel my pre-order.

"2 Weeks" is depressingly vague :(

Dunk#7

How do i find out if my iphone4 is unlocked or not? Do i just put a different sim and see if it works? Id like to know so i could sell it.

If you have to ask then it probably is not unlocked

Did you buy it from somebody who would have unlocked it previously?
Did you go through the necessary steps to make it unlocked?

If you have to ask then it probably is not unlocked

Did you buy it from somebody who would have unlocked it previously?
Did you go through the necessary steps to make it unlocked?

Well my first one was unlocked, but it broke and i got a replacement one from apple. But i forgot to ask whether this replacement one was unlocked till now...

I ordered through the AT&T website early Friday morning, about 7am. No mention regarding shipping dates, just the standard email that stated they will ship as early as 9/21. Has anyone ordered recently through their website, as in the past day or 2, and is it now saying anything different regarding their shipping dates? If it's the same message, I feel like maybe I shouldn't be expecting a package this Friday as my status is still pending.

Yeah, mine still says 'processing'. Ordered around 10am Friday. Highly doubtful you will see the phone anytime this week or early next.

Ordered mine around 4am est. friday morning on the AT&T website and mine still says processing too. Really hope its delivered Friday.

Any info on why the sim card change? Nano sized? Every year we seem to be getting different sim cards. I'm not too educated on what makes sim cards different and why we need new sims and the capabilities/differences between them - other than size, of course. What does a micro sim do that the old larger sims don't do? I'm guessing nothing because I cut my old larger sim myself and made it micro sized for my 4S.

Xcellere

Oh God the Grove will be a nightmare.

Haven't decided what store to hit yet, all I know is it will NOT be the SF downtown store, that one is always NUTS.

The Woz pic is from the Los Gatos store.

On second thought, you're probably right about The Grove. Gotta figure something else out. Maybe an AT&T store.

Tobor

Any info on why the sim card change? Nano sized? Every year we seem to be getting different sim cards. I'm not too educated on what makes sim cards different and why we need new sims and the capabilities/differences between them - other than size, of course. What does a micro sim do that the old larger sims don't do? I'm guessing nothing because I cut my old larger sim myself and made it micro sized for my 4S.

It's all about making more room inside the chassis. Every millimeter of space in there is crucial.

bumpkin

Aw yeah, pre-ordered two (for me and my wife) at Best Buy Friday morning! Last we heard, we were actually the only people who went with 64GB. I somehow had a feeling that everyone and their mother was going to flock to the 16 and 32, so if nothing else, it at least ups our chances of having ours bright and early Friday (the 21st) by being one of the few. Now it's just about playing the waiting game... Is it Friday, yet?

I tried to pop onto Apple's online store to see if it was possible to browse cases yet, and it looks like they don't have any listed for the 5. Weak sauce.

It's all about making more room inside the chassis. Every millimeter of space in there is crucial.
I dont think we can go any smaller now lol. Wonder if micro sims can be cut into nano sims like the old sim cards could be cut into micro. My micro barely has any slivers of plastic surrounding the chip as is.

micro-nano-sim.jpeg

I couldn't have said it better myself... so true.

http://curiousrat.com/home/2012/9/17/boring.html

Blogs and tech columnists are becoming more and more out of touch with the general public and reality, no matter how much they want you believe they have a clue of what people want.

The first one was funny.

But still, i can understand why it changed very little even though it makes it boring at the same time. Ultimately, the formula isn't broken for them with this design so why change it? Everyone i know that's complaining (and hating) on it usually end up complaining about everything they do anyway.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I dont think we can go any smaller now lol. Wonder if micro sims can be cut into nano sims like the old sim cards could be cut into micro. My micro barely has any slivers of plastic surrounding the chip as is.

micro-nano-sim.jpeg

Nope. Nano sims are thinner and smaller than micro sims

Top Bottom