• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

bionic77

Fuck me.

LL
Fuck me. I sold my stock @ 320 (bought it around 80) to buy Exxon which has only gone up slightly less than 50%.

Man I wish I understood the stock market better. Must be nice having unlimited money for betting on different stocks. The only thing I am good on is the office football pool and that only wins me a few hundred dollars a year. :(

LaneDS

Asked a couple pages back, but has anyone that preordered through Verizon's website either seen a credit card charge appear yet, or get any notice or indiciation of shipping information?

Meier

So I apparently have only used 1.5 GB of data this billing plan. I have kept AT&T due to the unlimited data plan being grandfathered, but I probably don't need it really. I might use more with LTE but I can't see it being double in all likelihood.

I get 20% off plan+data from every carrier due to working for UT. Do I honestly have any reason to stick with AT&T? $10 a month for texts seems antiquated now that everyone else seems to be offering them for free?

Asked a couple pages back, but has anyone that preordered through Verizon's website either seen a credit card charge appear yet, or get any notice or indiciation of shipping information?
Nope, nothing on my end. I ordered my phone at 3:30am on Friday morning and had a 9/21 delivery date on my preorder. It just changed to "shipping on" 9/21. I'm never going through Verizon again.

bless you beautiful person

lol. THats like how back when ATT first got rid of unlimited you could get it by switching to a 2G phone then upgrading.

I joined ATT when they didn't have Unlimited at the iPhone 4 launch. Activated a OG iPhone then upgraded to an iPhone 4 and got grandfathered in. Still keeping that unlimited I shouldn't even have :D

LaneDS

Nope, nothing on my end. I ordered my phone at 3:30am on Friday morning and had a 9/21 delivery date on my preorder. It just changed to "shipping on" 9/21. I'm never going through Verizon again.

Ah well, that's a bummer, but thanks for the response all the same.

sangreal

that's just the wording on Verizon's status page, ignore it as it holds no significance. If it says 9/21 that is your scheduled delivery date

LaneDS

that's just the wording on Verizon's status page, ignore it as it holds no significance. If it says 9/21 that is your scheduled delivery date

Even better! I just wanted to make sure my order went through, so the delivery date doesn't much matter as long as I see them properly charge me when they start charging orders.

TwIsTeD

Gorilla glass or not it doesn't matter, after the small hairline scratches I got on my 4 i retracted my no-screen protector policy and refuse to go naked, never had a problem until the 4.

I dont care about a protective case, just the screen

LiK

lol. THats like how back when ATT first got rid of unlimited you could get it by switching to a 2G phone then upgrading.

I joined ATT when they didn't have Unlimited at the iPhone 4 launch. Activated a OG iPhone then upgraded to an iPhone 4 and got grandfathered in. Still keeping that unlimited I shouldn't even have :D

i'm hoping it's as easy as people say. gonna follow that thread and see if anyone got screwed.

KingKong

So I just tried the new EarPods

man it was weird getting used to them, I wanted to put them in the other way (right to left ear) and then I wanted to fit them in the long way instead of the side haha.

They feel very sturdy and fit in smugly and are easy to take out and put in. The sound seems better, the big difference is how much clearer everything is. I can't really tell the difference in quality between them and the Sennheiser headset I use for gaming, but I'm not much of an audiophile

oh also the remote is much nicer

edit: sound basically doesnt leak at high volume, (tried a louder song and it did leak on max but thats like hurting your ears if you have it in) I like how they dont go far into the ear canal, it just kind of fits the shape of your ear. been using them for about an hour and theyre super comfortable

DoubleTap

Wait what? I live in Nashville....I hope my phone is shipping from here! Where did you preorder yours from?

Ordered from the Apple Store App which still says preparing for shipment. I was able to get the tracking no. using my phone no. as reference from the UPS page, thanks to the link/tip a few pages back.

Mairu

So I just tried the new EarPods

man it was weird getting used to them, I wanted to put them in the other way (right to left ear) and then I wanted to fit them in the long way instead of the side haha.

They feel very sturdy and fit in smugly and are easy to take out and put in. The sound seems better, the big difference is how much clearer everything is. I can't really tell the difference in quality between them and the Sennheiser headset I use for gaming, but I'm not much of an audiophile

oh also the remote is much nicer

I'm excited. I've actually been dealing with the terrible Apple earbuds since I can't seem to find a good set with a remote/mic that I like.

Talon

I think Apple never confirmed any of the iPhone having Gorilla glass actually. There was some kind of confirmation in the Steves Jobs book IIRC.
I know the book said that Apple had an agreement with Corning that the latter would never confirm publicly that Apple used GG.

Zeth

Nothing warms my heart like the frantic shipment-tracking madness over at the macrumors forums (and elsewhere I'm sure).

Edit: also got a pair of EarPods today. They fit me pretty well (couldn't bear the old ones at all). Actually compare pretty favorably to my beloved Klipsch S4i that I normally use. Maybe a little weaker bass, but overall similar sound signature.

I could've sworn at one point it was confirmed.

Unlike everyone else, Apple isn't insecure enough so that it needs to slather on the fact that they're using gorilla glass and use it in marketing, same with with specs. I remember a couple years after the iPhone came out, everyone was advertising in massively large text how they're using Gorilla Glass, and it wasn't till later that i found out that Apple was using it all along but didn't feel the need to obsessively market it as a bullet point. Its a means to an end, not a feature to cynically brag about. Just like cpu/gpu/clockspeed/RAM/etc.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Unlike everyone else, Apple isn't insecure enough so that it needs to slather on the fact that they're using gorilla glass and use it in marketing, same with with specs. I remember a couple years after the iPhone came out, everyone was advertising in massively large text how they're using Gorilla Glass, and it wasn't till later that i found out that Apple was using it all along but didn't feel the need to obsessively market it as a bullet point. Its a means to an end, not a feature to cynically brag about. Just like cpu/gpu/clockspeed/RAM/etc.

Seriously, why are you so damn defensive all the time?

Zaph

Hidden in his aggression, he does bring up a good point. Over the years Apple has gone out of their way to make sure none of their deals with suppliers require cross-branding (notice how you never hear the Intel Inside chime during Mac ads), for one simple purpose - good or bad, they want Apple products to be their own. So if a competitor says "we use the same XYZ as the iPhone", it's completely irrelevant to most consumers as they have never heard of that component in the first place.

Hidden in his aggression, he does bring up a good point. Over the years Apple has gone out of their way to make sure none of their deals with suppliers require cross-branding (notice how you never hear the Intel Inside chime during Mac ads), for one simple purpose - good or bad, they want Apple products to be their own. So if a competitor says "we use the same XYZ as the iPhone", it's completely irrelevant to most consumers as they have never heard of that component in the first place.

It makes a lot of business sense if you have a product that consumers crave. You don't want them getting attached to "Gorilla Glass" or "Intel" or "AMD" or whatever, you just want them craving iPhone no matter what's inside of it.

If you're "Generic Phone Manufacturer ABC" it probably makes a lot of sense to plaster all over the box that you have all of those things so people know that the device itself is a quality product.

also got a pair of EarPods today. They fit me pretty well (couldn't bear the old ones at all). Actually compare pretty favorably to my beloved Klipsch S4i that I normally use. Maybe a little weaker bass, but overall similar sound signature.
That's good to hear. I rock S4i as well normally so im glad these are similar. I probably wouldn't retire them but always good to have a backup and I'm glad that the people that never swap out their buds have a better option.

Gary, I love that you've gone from oh I think it's too expensive to upgrade my phone as I'm not fully eligible / not getting one at launch to camping out for 8+ hours. You know you've got dat Apple fever in your vains - it was inevitable :)

blitz64

ordered from verizonwireless.com around 3:10am EST.

put in the preorder confirmation number:

credit card charged.

looks good so far.

Bgamer90

Banned
Edit: also got a pair of EarPods today. They fit me pretty well (couldn't bear the old ones at all). Actually compare pretty favorably to my beloved Klipsch S4i that I normally use. Maybe a little weaker bass, but overall similar sound signature.

Wow really?

I have Klipsch S4i's. That's really good if true.

I'll probably still use my Klipsch S4i's though... white earbuds are a dead giveaway that you have an expensive iProduct (thieves).

Hey iphone users, or even android users, on avg how much data do you use a month?

I consider myself a tech lover but in this case i dont think ill surpass the average user.

Aw yeah, pre-ordered two (for me and my wife) at Best Buy Friday morning! Last we heard, we were actually the only people who went with 64GB. I somehow had a feeling that everyone and their mother was going to flock to the 16 and 32, so if nothing else, it at least ups our chances of having ours bright and early Friday (the 21st) by being one of the few. Now it's just about playing the waiting game... Is it Friday, yet?

I tried to pop onto Apple's online store to see if it was possible to browse cases yet, and it looks like they don't have any listed for the 5. Weak sauce.

http://www.cultofmac.com/186017/thi...ne-5s-screen-will-be-will-make-your-jaw-drop/

Guess you missed this

Just installed iOS6 on my iPad. Loving the new maps, Siri, and tab syncing so far. Oh yeah, and can finally insert an image from within a mail message. About fucking time, and I'll be first to admit Apple is way late on this.

Top Bottom