• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I generally not an apple fan, but I came across this article on Yahoo (i know, i know).

"8 things the iPhone still can't do."
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-things-the-iphone-5-still-can-t-do.html

I dont know why I bothered, but hell, the last one made me chuckle. Yahoo really is like a tabloid.

Yahoo should really take Apple under it's wings and teach it a thing or two about running a business and making quality products. I'm sure Apple could learn a thing or two from Yahoo's innovation, vision, and relevance.

But removable battery and storage? Seriously? I mean, will they make the same complaints when the next iphone doesn't have these "features"? Or the next? Or the next? Apple will never in a million years include removable battery or storage on its iOS products, and I really don't know what to say to these journalists that act surprised each time, or pretend that it had a chance of happening. Yes, even the iPhone 9 won't have these things. If you're not cool with that, suck it up now and go for another product. The market has shown they couldn't care less, as much as tech bloggers make these out to be critically important features.

Arsenic

Yahoo should really take Apple it's wings and teach it a thing or two about running a business and making quality products. I'm sure Apple could learn a thing or two from Yahoo's innovation, vision, and relevance.

But removable battery and storage? Seriously? I mean, will they make the same complaints when the next iphone doesn't have these "features"? Or the next? Or the next? Apple will never in a million years include removable battery or storage on its iOS products, and I really don't know what to say to these journalists that act surprised each time, or pretend that it had a chance of happening. Yes, even the iPhone 9 won't have these things. If you're not cool with that, suck it up now and go for another product. The market has shown they couldn't care less, as much as tech bloggers make these out to be critically important features.

The backup battery baffled me in the most. Who seriously carries an extra cell phone battery these days? It's not as if we're talking about professional Cameras at weddings here.

Besides, products like this and this makes carrying extra batteries obsolete.

$950 for an Unlocked 32GB, yay or nay?

(I'm not in the US btw)

If you got it, flaunt it

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I dunno, a grand is a lot for a phone but so is $750 for a locked iPhone purchased in the US.
I agree. But I'm selling my iPhone 4 so $550 is more manageable, plus I conveniently have a $200 gift card to Best Buy that was given to me.

If it weren't for these things, no way I'd be getting an iPhone 5.

Damn
file.png

image.php

Arsenic

I agree. But I'm selling my iPhone 4 so $550 is more manageable, plus I conveniently have a $200 gift card to Best Buy that was given to me.

If it weren't for these things, no way I'd be getting an iPhone 5.
I wish i was in your postion. Im deciding between staying with tmobile and getting a Galaxy III, or leaving ($200 fee) and getting the new iPhone. Money talks.

Everytime I see this I cry thinking about some Gaffer a few years ago telling us all to invest in Apple (around the time the iPad was announced) I regret being so anti-Apple then.

Husker86

MicroHDMI...or AirPlay. I'll take AirPlay.
Why can't we have both? I don't have an Apple TV as it would be very redundant save for Airplay.

But there will be an adapter soon so that's almost like the same thing since I'd need a micro HDMI cable anyway.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Unlocked 64gb iPhone 5 in Canada is about ~$1000 with taxes. Eh I consider it a good investment on my end, since it's more than just a phone anyway.
I purchased Iphone 4 outright for $800 + tax (or was it $850+tax). Kind of regret it to be honest. I doubt I can sell it for very much today, and I still had to pay the same monthly phone bill as if I had the phone on contract.

lupinko

I purchased Iphone 4 outright for $800 + tax (or was it $850+tax). Kind of regret it to be honest. I doubt I can sell it for very much today, and I still had to pay the same monthly phone bill as if I had the phone on contract.

Yes, but I'm in a different position as I am planning on moving and require a world phone, thus shedding myself of contract obligations on phone subsidies. Also I am aware the LTE is not useable if I'm not in CA/US.

Tobor

Why can't we have both? I don't have an Apple TV as it would be very redundant save for Airplay.

But there will be an adapter soon so that's almost like the same thing since I'd need a micro HDMI cable anyway.

Space in the chassis and a nice clean desgn with as few ports as possible. Regardless, like you said, an adapter will be available.

I'll take wireless over a cable or adapter wherever I can. True wireless, not faux wireless like inductive charging.

Fjordson

I just watched the promo video on Apple's site for the first time and Jony Ive is awesome :lol dat voice, makes basic shit sound amazing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I just watched the promo video on Apple's site for the first time and Jony Ive is awesome :lol dat voice, makes basic shit sound amazing.

That's always the first thing I watch after the announcement.

Jonathan Ive and Scott Forstall telling me why their new product is the bee's knees.
Especially the footage on how the aluminium is milled, treated and stuff like that. I love it.

I'm more disturbed that people are already lined up for the iPhone 5.

Maybe I could understand if the iPhone 5 was actually a big step forward, and not just a slightly elongated, flattened version of the phone already in their pockets with the obligatory year over year improved specs.

It truly is amazing. It's called preordering online people.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Do the prices on SIM free iPhones come down when they start hitting other retailers or is Apple always the best place to buy them?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
No don't pay $800 for an unlocked phone, just pay $2400 over a two year contract instead!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I have a plan that will cost me $500 over two years, and I'm only tied in for 12 months, so $800 upfront is potentially well worth it (I'm not in the US).

Arrrrg, I woke up to find that I got a tracking number email and that my iPhone 5 is sitting in the Fed Ex Depot right by my house with a status "Waiting for future delivery". What a tease, this week is going to be rough.

I saw some people frazzled on the other page about their order statuses so if anyone cares I ordered from Verizon Wireless's website at 3:00AM last Friday.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Did anyone here order from O2 UK?

Does it not strike you as odd that they have been getting rid of in-house customers, and instead selling their new contracts (and upgrades) in to contracts with CPW?

Top Bottom