• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Anyone have ideas on the case you want? Or does the back of the new iPhone 5 have adequate protection and everyone is going 'nude?'

I like a thin leather pouch for when the phone is in my pocket or whatever, but it's nude when it's in my hands and I rest it on the pouch when it's on a desk/table. Best of both worlds for me.

I'm using a sena ultraslim for my 4S, I'll get the same for the 5 when it's out probably.

What a par. None of my discounts with T-mobile uk apply, so stuff like my £10 discount applied to my account and so on don't apply, the woman basically said Im on the same footing as a brand new customer. Bit shit considering ive been with them for 9 years or so..

def sim

We're checking our shipments through reference tracking on the UPS or FedEx site. Using either phone or order number. Mine departed Alaska four hours ago, but the Apple store status is only at "Preparing for Shipment."

numble

I am not saying it's a bad thing. I have a huge mancrush on the dude, but it seems to me that he has become more and more center stage since Jobs' passing.
No he hasn't. Was he even in a video for the 4S reveal? He wasn't at the iBooks Editor or new iPad launch either. Phil Shiller, Scott Forstall, even Eddy Cue and Craig Federighi has had more screen time than Ive.

Kaladin

We're checking our shipments through reference tracking on the UPS or FedEx site. Using either phone or order number. Mine departed Alaska four hours ago, but the Apple store status is only at "Preparing for Shipment."

I was wondering about that as well. I want to print out a pre-signed form.

MasLegio

Banned
I am beginning to feel that Apple is very ignorant concerning rest of the world in regards to 4G (as were first shown with the iPad 3). There are quite a few countries that use other wavelengths for LTE meaning the iPhone 5 4G is useless in those countries. Apple could have made specific production runs for these countries with iPhone 5s using those wavelengths instead.

If Apple does not consider this they will begin to loose market share in EU and Asia faster than they already are.

Anyone have ideas on the case you want? Or does the back of the new iPhone 5 have adequate protection and everyone is going 'nude?'

I'm going with this...

qcardcasegiveaway.jpg

or maybe this...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I am beginning to feel that Apple is very ignorant concerning rest of the world in regards to 4G (as were first shown with the iPad 3). There are quite a few countries that use other wavelengths for LTE meaning the iPhone 5 4G is useless in those countries. Apple could have made specific production runs for these countries with iPhone 5s using those wavelengths instead.

If Apple does not consider this they will begin to loose market share in EU and Asia faster than they already are.

Which countries is it useless in?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

What LTE networks do they have in those countries?

Hmm, looking at Wikipedia looks like LTE Band 7 is probably the big omission.

Apparently it's coming, at least in Austria, but there was a huge merger between 2 companies that delayed all of this. A shame, really. Oh well, maybe next year! :) Our 3G speeds are pretty blazin' here anyway.

andycapps

around 185 countries...
including:

Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Iceland
Finland
Spain
France
Italy
UK (soon to launch according to Apples site=not usable first year)
etc...

LTE is mostly useless in the US as well, don't worry. But adoption of LTE in the new iPhone will likely spur quicker buildout of LTE around the world. The feature has been in other phones for a couple years, but none of them had the popularity of an iPhone.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
around 185 countries...
including:

Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Iceland
Finland
Spain
France
Italy
UK (soon to launch according to Apples site=not usable first year)
etc...

I was talking about countries that have LTE networks up and running. As in, what was missing from the iPhone. Like I said, looking at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks) the iPhone is missing LTE Band 7 which is probably the biggest omission.

The networks creating usable LTE networks is a whole other argument.

So much fail on that box art.

Using old icons, and not even the right back. I think you're gonna get what you pay for with this one.

It's not like he's using the box as a case... They used leaked / faked art to get the case to market. What's the big deal?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Is Apple making bumpers for the 5? I usually go nude, but I like that the bumpers offer a bit of protection for the sides, along with lifting the phone up a bit so when you lay it flat it doesn't lay on the table or whatever.

I'd like to grab one.

EDIT: ^ Or maybe I'll go nude. :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was talking about countries that have LTE networks up and running. As in, what was missing from the iPhone. Like I said, looking at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks) the iPhone is missing LTE Band 7 which is probably the biggest omission.

The networks creating usable LTE networks is a whole other argument.
Yeah, if they don't have a band 7 compatible version for when it launches in Brazil I'll have to reconsider. I can't go without an iOS device but if I can't get LTE on a new iPhone here I'll have to get an iPod or an iPad (mini?) instead and go with another phone. Don't really want to do it though, I have a Mac and the extra features with my phone are a big deal to me.

It would be a glaring omission considering they've been making more investments in the country, and local carriers are even starting sales for nano-SIMs in advance this month. Plus, looking at the local news 4G LTE will soon start to be a selling point for the carriers here, so the push for compatible 4G phones will be a big one.

All that beautiful machining... one of the most expensive phones on the market... hidden behind a cheap-ass rubber strip.

This right here. I honestly cringe when I see people talking about putting screen protectors, and bulky cases on their iPhones.

Even seeing people put screen protectors on their iPads. :eek:

I have owned a couple iPhones, and a couple iPad's, and neither has sustained any screen damage over years of use, without any screen protector ever being used. I can only imagine how much money is made on those things.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This right here. I honestly cringe when I see people talking about putting screen protectors, and bulky cases on their iPhones.

I have owned a couple iPhones, and a couple iPad's, and neither has sustained any screen damage over years of use, without any screen protector ever being used. I can only imagine how much money is made on those things.

Cases and screen protectors must be pure profit. It must cost cents to make them in China.

SuperPac

I cracked the screen on my 3G or 3GS. Nothing worse than dropping your phone and picking it up only to see a nice shatter pattern on the front. :\ When Apple switched to glass on the front and back of the 4 I always had a case or bumper on. The possible area of impact and cracking was just too large on both devices to risk it. I've dropped my 4 and 4S several times too but the case took the brunt of the impact/dents.

I'll watch the iFixIt tests that will no doubt come out on Friday but I think at least for a little while I'm going caseless with the 5. At least until Incase puts out their stuff (I generally like theirs the best).

I have never bought a screen protector though. I've never scratched an iPhone or iPad screen and absolutely hate the way screen protectors look on the thing.

gamma

Are there people who pre-ordered on apple.com for 9/21 whose orders are still being processed? I had a cc problem over the weekend so my order was waiting for the payment till Monday. It still says 9/21 delivery but I'm wondering.

Not sure if this is the right thread but it's somewhat iPhone 5 related: I'm trying to sell my iPhone 4 via eBay. I put in a request to unlock my phone with AT&T but I want to factory reset my phone, jailbreak it and the unlock it so I can up the resell value. Is there a good guide for how to go about this? Trying to upgrade to an iPhone 5 by getting as much as I can for my iPhone 4.

VPhys

All that beautiful machining... one of the most expensive phones on the market... hidden behind a cheap-ass rubber strip.

This. Been going naked with my phones since 2008. It's like putting plastic on your furniture, how can you even enjoy it.

Jmac71

My AT&T order placed on Friday morning still shows as "processing" on their site. Why can't these clowns get this settled already?

You might want to call them. I found out the order I placed at 8:30am CST was apparently pushed out until 10-5 at the earliest. I called and raised hell and they have apparently fixed it since cut off for day 1 was 11:25 am. Might be worth it to check.

Top Bottom