• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Carlisle

Man you guys are convincing me to not get at least some kind of low-profile bumper-like case. iPhone 4 was the first phone I used a case on (official bumper) and I know there were a couple instances where that saved the phone. But now that I think on it, the case probably did more harm than good. The nice smooth aluminum band is now scuffed to all hell from the plastic of the inside of the bumper rubbing against it.

And since I'll be getting AppleCare+, I'll have accidental damage coverage. Yeah, still $50 but it's only $20 more than a bumper I may not even need, without getting all scuffed up from it.

Zeth

Still no change in my AT&T order from 8 min after launch. They're slow, I'm not worried. Confirmation email says 9/21 delivery. Still frantically checking reference tracking trick with no luck though :p

Re: Cases: Its going to be much more durable than the 4/4S. Now most of the impact points are part of the solid metal structure that makes up the iPhone 5. Still have a large screen area exposed, but I've had good luck in the past. Worth it to have it repaired for $150 in the unlikely event of severe damage.

Is Apple Care + $50? Might go for that this time. They still give you a window of time to have it inspected and buy it after the original purchase, right?

Can anyone tell if it's normal to have a delivery date from Apple of October 5th when I ordered at like 3:45 am EST the morning of release? I know I missed the very beginning of the preorder but I'm kind of shocked it's going to take so long to receive.

knitoe

Not sure if this is the right thread but it's somewhat iPhone 5 related: I'm trying to sell my iPhone 4 via eBay. I put in a request to unlock my phone with AT&T but I want to factory reset my phone, jailbreak it and the unlock it so I can up the resell value. Is there a good guide for how to go about this? Trying to upgrade to an iPhone 5 by getting as much as I can for my iPhone 4.

Before starting, make sure the unlock request went through.

1) Restore the phone and select as new device through iTunes. If it's been unlock, you will get a congratulation message saying the phone is unlock.

2) Jailbreak the phone with whatever program you want.

3) The phone is ready to be sold.

Before starting, make sure the unlock request went through.

1) Restore the phone and select as new device through iTunes. If it's been unlock, you will get a congratulation message saying the phone is unlock.

2) Jailbreak the phone with whatever program you want.

3) The phone is ready to be sold.

Seems easy enough. Do I take out the sim card or leave it in?

sangreal

Can anyone tell if it's normal to have a delivery date from Apple of October 5th when I ordered at like 3:45 am EST the morning of release? I know I missed the very beginning of the preorder but I'm kind of shocked it's going to take so long to receive.

a lot of people who ordered from Verizon had this happen when their cards were declined (but moved back up after fixing the issue)

DrEvil

not a medical professional
My apple Canada order is still listed as 'preparing for shipment' -- with a delivery of 9/21-9/25 -- according to their ship zones I should get it on the 21st.. but I haven't been able to track via fedex or ups with my phone or order number.. boo.

Zeth

Jailbreaking before selling seems weird to me. Does it add any value? Wouldn't it be fairly easier for the buyer to do it?

9PM EST reviews, forgot about that. Can't imagine we'll hear anything surprising. Still, always fun to read those old farts Pogue + Mossberg.

a lot of people who ordered from Verizon had this happen when their cards were declined (but moved back up after fixing the issue)

That's weird - my card was definitely accepted and I ordered directly from apple.com. I'm pretty pissed it's taking so long for missing the opening by less than 50 minutes.

DrEvil

That's weird - my card was definitely accepted and I ordered directly from apple.com. I'm pretty pissed it's taking so long for missing the opening by less than 50 minutes.

Not to be a dick, but you missed the opening by 50 minutes.. They sold 2 million iPhones in the first day, you missed the boat... what did you honestly expect?

I got mine in at 3:20am and should be getting it Friday, and not ten minutes later the website pushed orders to '2 weeks'...

Zeth

Not to be a dick, but you missed the opening by 50 minutes.. They sold 2 million iPhones in the first day, you missed the boat... what did you honestly expect?

I got mine in at 3:20am and should be getting it Friday, and not ten minutes later the website pushed orders to '2 weeks'...

Was probably a credit card issue, happened to quite a few people

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Man you guys are convincing me to not get at least some kind of low-profile bumper-like case. iPhone 4 was the first phone I used a case on (official bumper) and I know there were a couple instances where that saved the phone. But now that I think on it, the case probably did more harm than good. The nice smooth aluminum band is now scuffed to all hell from the plastic of the inside of the bumper rubbing against it.

And since I'll be getting AppleCare+, I'll have accidental damage coverage. Yeah, still $50 but it's only $20 more than a bumper I may not even need, without getting all scuffed up from it.

I got AppleCare+ as well. Is that all you need to do if you damage the phone? Call up Apple and pay $50 for a new one/repair?

Same for me with Verizon.

I ordered via Apple.com on Verizon and still see no charges. Can't find the order on UPS or FedEx either. Not sure if having it shipped to my work (had to check business address on Apple.com) makes it different though. Apple site still says delivers the 21st though, so I won't worry.

Jailbreaking before selling seems weird to me. Does it add any value? Wouldn't it be fairly easier for the buyer to do it?

9PM EST reviews, forgot about that. Can't imagine we'll hear anything surprising. Still, always fun to read those old farts Pogue + Mossberg.

it's fairly easy for people willing to try, but many people are deathly afraid of doing something like that. i hear $30-50 is the going rate that people pay random other people to jailbreak their phones.

Honestly, i didn't like the official bumpers. It scratched my volume buttons within 2 days since there were buttons over buttons and the more you pressed them the more they scratched. I got a moshi bumper instead and it was much much better. Nicer too.

What did I expect? Pretty sure nobody expected them to be in such short supply to start off that they would be getting their phones 2 weeks later by doing a preorder.

Hell, I got my 4S on launch day last year by just walking into a Best Buy and asking for one. So no, I didn't expect them to run out of stock quite so quickly and it seems plenty over at that macrumors site didn't either.

At this point I'm wondering what the benefit was to preordering. I probably could have found a phone in a store in 2 weeks time. Oh well.

My confirmation says 9/28 ship, not even delivery.

Sometimes Apple and their popularity backfires.

So have people decided on screen protectors/cases yet?

DrEvil

What did I expect? Pretty sure nobody expected them to be in such short supply to start off that they would be getting their phones 2 weeks later by doing a preorder.

Hell, I got my 4S on launch day last year by just walking into a Best Buy and asking for one. So no, I didn't expect them to run out of stock quite so quickly and it seems plenty over at that macrumors site didn't either.

At this point I'm wondering what the benefit was to preordering. I probably could have found a phone in a store in 2 weeks time. Oh well.

Such Short Supply != Selling 2m+ phones...

No one 'expected' this phone to be so popular, I'll give you that.. but my assumption was that people were so 'underwhelmed' with the 4S last year that they held off to the 5.. Hell, I am still on a 3G and am finally upgrading to the 5.. I wanted to wait because the 4S wasn't a big enough improvement (for me) over the 4 to bother.... I imagined many other people had the same thought so I made sure to be online right at 3am to order.

As for anecdotal evidence of walking into a bestbuy, then give that another shot. If it worked in the past, more power to you!

noah111

Still Alive

If there was ever an iPhone made to use caseless, it would be this one. Ok that's not really true, as the 3GS was best for that. But really, the back isn't in need for a case/cover/bumper this time around.

I pre-ordered a phone @ Best Buy Mobile and have one of their allocations for 9/21.

When I go to pick it up I need to decide on what type of insurance to do.

Best Buy blacktie offers +$50 on trade-in value, unlimited claims, accidental damage, zero deductible, will NOT cover lost/stolen. This plan is $15/mo or I can pay it all upfront for $220 (a little more than $9/mo when you work out 24mo).

Verizon is $7/mo, $169 deductible, covers lost stolen, 2 claims.

If buying @ Best Buy is there such thing as apple care? What's the nitty gritty on the value offered?
edit: AppleCare+ = $99 + $49 for each claim up to 2. Basically cheaper if you don't break your phone, much more expensive if you break it more than twice. Still not sure if Best Buy offers such protection, or if you'd need to visit an apple store.

How about square trade?

As it stands I think I am going to just pre-pay the Best Buy blacktie price. That way I can rock the phone without a case and just accidental damage replace the phone when it gets scratched up too bad.

Such Short Supply != Selling 200m+ phones...

No one 'expected' this phone to be so popular, I'll give you that.. but my assumption was that people were so 'underwhelmed' with the 4S last year that they held off to the 5.. Hell, I am still on a 3G and am finally upgrading to the 5.. I wanted to wait because the 4S wasn't a big enough improvement (for me) over the 4 to bother.... I imagined many other people had the same thought so I made sure to be online right at 3am to order.

As for anecdotal evidence of walking into a bestbuy, then give that another shot. If it worked in the past, more power to you!

Wasn't trying to give any evidence - just saying I was surprised that the demand for this phone was so high that it sold out of launch day preorders in <45 minutes. It's cool, not that much of a wait but I was a bit caught off guard by the gap.

VoxPop

I don't understand you people who would slap an otterbox on that beautiful iPhone 5 chassis unless you work in construction or something. Might as well buy a Galaxy and no one would know the difference.

JayDub

If there was ever an iPhone made to use caseless, it would be this one. Ok that's not really true, as the 3GS was best for that. But really, the back isn't in need for a case/cover/bumper this time around.

The 3GS? Its had a scratch prone plastic backing! Mines wasn't even recognizeable after 2 years (I had a 3G).

I just called a local Verizon authorized retailer, told me to call on the 20th and he would set one aside for me on friday

wow, that was easy

Carlisle

I got AppleCare+ as well. Is that all you need to do if you damage the phone? Call up Apple and pay $50 for a new one/repair?

Yup as far as I know. It's my first time getting + so it's new to me too. Anything that's their fault they'll fix/replace for free as with the old AppleCare. But anything accidental like dropping/cracking/drowning, you pay a $50 deductible. That's the "+" part.

jcm

Such Short Supply != Selling 2m+ phones...

Why are you jumping on him? He stayed up late to preorder day 1 and is missing out. Obviously he's disappointed.

My orders went through at 3:24 and 3:26 after nearly 30 minute of trying to get through to Apple's overwhelmed servers. If, after all of that, they delayed my shipment until October 5 I'd be pissed.

paskowitz

I have never camped out for anything and I am debating doing for the iPhone 5. The only reason I am considering it is because I am not the type of person that camps out for a material item and I want this to be a social experience... to see what types of people do this. To observe their mentality and possibly greater understand it. I am not sure if the experiment is worth the trouble though. If the store opens at 8am, how early should I get there? I am in Philly.

Up here in Canada (with Fido) you can pre-order it and if you don't get it within 14 days of launch, you receive 50$ credit to your account. I'm kinda hoping i don't get it within the first 14 days now. I either get it soon, or cheaper. Win-win.

I have never camped out for anything and I am debating doing for the iPhone 5. The only reason I am considering it is because I am not the type of person that camps out for a material item and I want this to be a social experience... to see what types of people do this. To observe their mentality and possibly greater understand it. I am not sure if the experiment is worth the trouble though. If the store opens at 8am, how early should I get there? I am in Philly.

Never camped out for anything in my life, and never would, but yeah if I did it would be for the above reason. Then I'd mindfuck everyone when I actually get to the register and be like, meh, this phone sucks I've changed my mind and just walk away.

Christopher

Are you a psychologist?...if not what the hell is the point?

JayDub

I just called a local Verizon authorized retailer, told me to call on the 20th and he would set one aside for me on friday

wow, that was easy

How reliable is that though? I can just imagine a lazy employee on the other end saying that to get you off the phone. Not to hate, but it just seems plausible. Thats something I (and a lot of people) did when I was working retail.

I'm going with this...

qcardcasegiveaway.jpg

or maybe this...

I like combining credit cards/cash with the phone. But alas, too many cards. Maybe I should drop some cards or just not bring them.

Found my phone using the reference trick. It's in Louisville as of this very early morning.

andycapps

I pre-ordered a phone @ Best Buy Mobile and have one of their allocations for 9/21.

When I go to pick it up I need to decide on what type of insurance to do.

Best Buy blacktie offers +$50 on trade-in value, unlimited claims, accidental damage, zero deductible, will NOT cover lost/stolen. This plan is $15/mo or I can pay it all upfront for $220 (a little more than $9/mo when you work out 24mo).

Verizon is $7/mo, $169 deductible, covers lost stolen, 2 claims.

If buying @ Best Buy is there such thing as apple care? What's the nitty gritty on the value offered?
edit: AppleCare+ = $99 + $49 for each claim up to 2. Basically cheaper if you don't break your phone, much more expensive if you break it more than twice. Still not sure if Best Buy offers such protection, or if you'd need to visit an apple store.

How about square trade?

As it stands I think I am going to just pre-pay the Best Buy blacktie price. That way I can rock the phone without a case and just accidental damage replace the phone when it gets scratched up too bad.

If you get it from Best Buy you have to call your carrier afterwards to setup Apple Care. Or I think you can go into an Apple Store and add it. I'd recommend Apple Care as normal wear and tear is covered, the $49 only applies if it's accidental damage IIRC. Plus it's $99 for 2 years. That's $4.13 a month. Hard to beat that.

If you think about it, your reason for camping out is probably weirder than theirs. They want a phone, you want some kind of cultural exchange program with people who want a phone.

Not bagging on you, just made me laugh is all.

ChanHuk

Banned
I camped out for a PS3, but that's because I sold it for $1300. 10 hours of "work" for $700 ain't so bad. I'll do it again for the next Xbox and/or Playstation if demand is high. Capitalism at its finest.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
I just tripped over my dog while walking up the stairs and dropped my already shattered phone from the second story of my apartment complex onto the solid concrete below. Now it's pretty close to completely unusable and you can barely see anything on the screen. I had to duct tape the back panel to the body of it.

And AT&T is telling me that my 5 is on back order. I'm going crazy over here.

snack

I just tripped over my dog while walking up the stairs and dropped my already shattered phone from the second story of my apartment complex onto the solid concrete below. Now it's pretty close to completely unusable and you can barely see anything on the screen. I had to duct tape the back panel to the body of it.

And AT&T is telling me that my 5 is on back order. I'm going crazy over here.
Ouch. lol

Oxn

wow, that was easy

Im just going to waltz into the verizon corporate store during lunch on the day of release and expect them to have 2 in stock for me.

Im going to be very angry if not.

Top Bottom