• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Xcellere

wtf. att's phone order update says my order is back ordered. the website says processing and the chat rep says its not back ordered

AT&T's various service mechanisms are so discombobulated, it's not even funny. Their service reps offer different advice than what their order status system says, nor do they know how their processes work.

And this is, what, their 5th iPhone launch? And they don't have their act together at this point?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Do AT&T Premiere customers get moved up the priority list? I ordered as an afterthought Friday around 10am via AT&T and I'm scheduled to receive mine on Friday, no back order. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm curious why those that ordered in the first two hours got pushed to an October delivery.

Also, is there any info re: allotment by carrier? Did all carriers receive the same amount?

noah111

Still Alive
Unboxing;

BGR-iphone-5-retail-3.jpg

bgr-iphone-5-retail-2.jpg

bgr-iphone-5-retail-1.jpg

Like I said before, that packaging is classy as hell. Really get a rolex/cologne feel to it with the charcoal look.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Unboxing;

Like I said before, that packaging is classy as hell. Really get a rolex/cologne feel to it with the charcoal look.

Looking good, except the hideous fingerprinted shots of the actual device itself.

I guess that's what it takes to be the "FIRST IPHONE 5 UNBOXING EVER".

And do I see some kind of case or thingie to hold the earbuds? That's nice.

Tobor

Apple TV needs all the updates it can get IMO, love the little device but the interface is amateur hour dog shit, exact opposite of the devices I connect to it (iPad, iPhone, macbook).

What? It has to be operated with the dpad on the apple remote. Given that limitation, the interface is fine.

Question: if I give my iPhone 4 to someone after it's been deactivated can they still get it unlocked from AT&T if they're off contract? Do I have to get it unlocked before I get my 5?

What? It has to be operated with the dpad on the apple remote. Given that limitation, the interface is fine.

the interface just looks cheap, fan made even, no resemblance to the devices that connect to it and seeing how Apple is unifying all the devices it makes even less sense why the interface for the Apple TV is so difference and ugly

but most importantly, they need to open up apps to app community

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
the interface just looks cheap, fan made even, no resemblance to the devices that connect to it and seeing how Apple is unifying all the devices it makes even less sense why the interface for the Apple TV is so difference and ugly

I agree on the apps. Not sure why Apple TV doesn't have the App Store on it yet.

ChanHuk

Banned
Do AT&T Premiere customers get moved up the priority list? I ordered as an afterthought Friday around 10am via AT&T and I'm scheduled to receive mine on Friday, no back order. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm curious why those that ordered in the first two hours got pushed to an October delivery.

Also, is there any info re: allotment by carrier? Did all carriers receive the same amount?

Premier customers are different all together. They're on a different system, hence why you can't order through Apple.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
wtf. att's phone order update says my order is back ordered. the website says processing and the chat rep says its not back ordered

Same here. Website is still processing with no confirmation e-mail or charge on my account, order_status website tells me its back ordered, telephone rep this morning told me I'm good to go for a Friday delivery.

I can't wait until this is over. Launch day woes.

Izick

I'm disappointed that the earbuds still suck. I figured that they were kept the same, or very similar for so long because Apple was brainstorming on how to make proper ones that wouldn't be throwaways. Just doesn't seem to mesh with what the company tries to stand for in other areas.

In other news, I think I'm going to be trying the Macbook Air again (this time I'm buying one from Apple, not that shit-hole Best Buy) so that likely means I'll be going with an iPhone 5 over the competition as well for my first smart-phone.

I may be weird but I actually liked the old earphones for how bad they were. They were perfect for walking around the city when I didn't want to completely drown out the sounds of the outside world.

saelz8

Been getting a lot of solid reviews from tech sites. They look to be much improved over the old model.

They are improvements, but they are still garbage based on the sound quality reviews I've read. Definitely not worth $29. You can spend $5 dollars more and get Sennheiser CX300-B's. Looking forward to seeing for myself.

LaneDS

Got the same thing but my credit card has already been charged so that's good.

Hm, ordered through Verizon but haven't seen my card charged yet.

I'm normally not paranoid about this thing, but unfortunate circumstances mean I need to switch plans ASAP and I re-joined my family's plan, which didn't allow me for to enter my name along with CC# (the name of the primary account holder was the only option, but we share the same last name). Should be fine, but I'll feel better once that charge hits.

KtSlime

I agree with this last statement, however how can you say there is no resemblance to their other products with a straight face? They use the same color themes, fonts, and iconography as all their other products with a few minor exceptions. Could they make them even more similar? Sure, and they have been, but anyone could have the same complaint about the very minor differences existing in iOS and OS X.

The UI isn't great, but frankly, I don't know what a better UI for a set top box would be, no one has ever shown me one that caused me to think "Wow, now THAT's how it should be done".

^if you check the status directly on http://wireless.att.com/order_status it will show you whether your phone is on backorder or not. My 64GB black switched from 1 to 0 in that column sometime yesterday.

That's the only indication I've had that they are actually doing anything.

Hours ago my order showed as back ordered, but I just checked again and it now shows a 0 in that column. Status is "in progress".

Does this mean I'll probably receive this phone on Friday?

rinse82

For Rogers pre-orders:

Got a shipping confirmation email today for the wife's 16GB White (#19 on list), but my 16GB Black (#44) hasn't shipped yet.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm happy those millions of people who use the standard earbuds might actually experience their music a bit better now.
The thought of so many people listening to their favorite music on those tinny pieces of shit always made me really sad for some reason.

LCfiner

You can say the same things about the old ones - they do the job, but not very well.

the difference is that the old ones were not good and sounded worse than earbuds you could buy for 50 bucks.

how much better are they then the old headphones (which are shit)

significantly better. I'm running the two side by side right now and the old ones sound like a mushy, unclear mess with some semi-complex stuff like Loreena McKennit's "Marco Polo" Live.

the earpods sound much cleaner, clearer, have decent bass response and a proper sense of instrument imaging. the old ones sound like you're in a closet. it's a huge difference.

seriously, I have listened to a lot of high end IEMs, high end Stax setups and other 500 dollar-ish headphones.

the earpods are not junk. they are good. if you already have good headphones like the Senn HD 25 1-II or IEMs like the triple fi 10, then you won't use these.

I have some excellent headphones in the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, but they're heavy and need a dedicated amp. that's why I got these for lightweight listening.

Anyone else not willing to invest over 100 for headphones should like these just fine. they are solid (but not spectacular).

giga

Earpods Teardown

They are still throw-aways. I'm sure no one is shocked.
Maybe it's just me, but I interpreted the "throwaway" comment in context to their repairability. If you read it in context to the rest of that closing paragraph, the author is implying that they can't be repaired and instead have to be trashed if they're damaged.

"At iFixit, our bottom line is durability and repairability, and their impact on electronics waste."

Part 1 (durability): "The new Apple EarPods do have significant improvements in durability:"
Part 2 (repairability): "But unfortunately, these products are still of the throw-away kind. Sourcing parts is next to impossible, and it would be a tough sell to convince someone to take apart their earbuds instead of buying a new pair. They will never be the same once taken apart."

Top Bottom