• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

KtSlime

None of those publications have any business reviewing headphones.

There are a lot of things these websites probably shouldn't be reviewing... But the reality of the situation (concerning audio equipment) is that often people don't think a minor improvement in audio quality justifies a several hundred dollar purchase. How do these headphones compare to headphones in their same price range? Reviews seem to be saying "favorably".

If these headphones can get people to say "wow, this is better than I thought, I wonder what an even nicer pair might sound like" then they have IMO done their job.

Maybe it's just me, but I interpreted the "throwaway" comment in context to their repairability. If you read it in context to the rest of that closing paragraph, the author is implying that they can't be repaired and instead have to be trashed if they're damaged.

"At iFixit, our bottom line is durability and repairability, and their impact on electronics waste."

Part 1 (durability): "The new Apple EarPods do have significant improvements in durability:"
Part 2 (repairability): "But unfortunately, these products are still of the throw-away kind. Sourcing parts is next to impossible, and it would be a tough sell to convince someone to take apart their earbuds instead of buying a new pair. They will never be the same once taken apart."

That's what I understood from the article as well.

Neverfade

So both iPhone's I've previous had eventually get this shitty vaseline smudge over the back camera lens making picture taking useless. Any way I can make that NOT happen with this phone?

As I said in the other thread, those are just the reviews that turn up on a google search, simply proving that the general consensus isn't that they're 'garbage'.

They are garbage to anyone who cares about music, truly really cares about music.

idk Sentry, but how much does the guy from, I don't know, fucking iLounge care about music? I have no idea. Do you?

Basically what these reviews tell me is that they're only terrible, and not abysmal, to a guy who has probably never reviewed Hi-Fi equipment in his life.

They are garbage to anyone who cares about music, truly really cares about music.

idk Sentry, but how much does the guy from, I don't know, fucking iLounge care about music? I have no idea. Do you?

Basically what these reviews tell me is that they're only terrible, and not abysmal, to a guy who has probably never reviewed Hi-Fi equipment in his life.

Audiophiles care about music?

Tobor

Did you not read LC's post on the last page?

Tobor

Why else do you think they drop all that money on audio equipment?

Well now I have, and yeah, it sounds like the perfect headphones for people who don't give a shit about music.

Who did you think they were for? Apple offers $79 in ears for people who want an upgrade, and they've dramatically improved the free pack ins for people who don't. How is this a bad thing?

So what earbuds should people who care about music get, that don't cost an arm and a leg?

There's a thread for that, and the Sennheisers have been mentioned a plenty in this very thread if I am not mistaken.

Who did you think they were for? Apple offers $79 in ears for people who want an upgrade, and they've dramatically improved the free pack ins for people who don't. How is this a bad thing?

Oh my, no, no, Tobor, chill. It's good. It's a very good thing.
I am a little upset about these reviews. I just don't think these tech journos should be giving definitive verdicts on headphones is all.

KtSlime

They likely care enough to buy a device that will play songs, but not enough to buy an accessory that costs just as much to make sure they get every nuanced sound.

It seems a bit disrespectful to me to say that people who don't care about perfect quality sound don't care about music. *shrug* This sort of argumentation can be applied to anything as well, photos, books, whatever you want. We all have our different priorities.

noah111

Still Alive

:lol I don't care about the reviewers, but why would you listen to a fucking gizmodo review instead? That was the point in the other thread. And to the bolded, how can you say that if you haven't even tried them? Therein lies your bias that everyone probably needs $100 headphones or earbuds. These can still be good, while there existing better out there.. why the either-or?

I doubt anyone who truly, really cares about music is listening to it on their phone in the first place.

numble

I don't care "truly" about music, but I care about headphones/earbuds that have a mic, and can do the volume/play/pause/rewind/fast forward/back/forward/Siri, so they sound like they will be great. I've been using a crappy pair of Sennheiser/Adidas Sport that has had the soft cover and two rubber linings removed on each side, with the jack lines repaired by a random guy with a soldering iron.

I mainly listen to podcasts, use them while running, and use them for calls and videocalls. The old Apple buds would always fall out. Very few are water resistant, and very few have the three button + mic.

rezuth

They likely care enough to buy a device that will play songs, but not enough to buy an accessory that costs just as much to make sure they get every nuanced sound.

It seems a bit disrespectful to me to say that people who don't care about perfect quality sound don't care about music. *shrug* This sort of argumentation can be applied to anything as well, photos, books, whatever you want. We all have our different priorities.
People who buy pocket books don't care about the story!

:lol I don't care about the reviewers, but why would you listen to a fucking gizmodo review instead? That was the point in the other thread. And to the bolded, how can you say that if you haven't even tried them? Therein lies your bias that everyone probably needs $100 headphones or earbuds. These can still be good, while there existing better out there.. why the either-or?

Fuck Gizmodo. And no, I haven't tried them yet but I will make sure to do once I get them and if I am wrong I will be the first to admit it, even though I would never ever consider myself an authority on music equipment.
But also I don't publish my opinions as a review. That is what pisses me off. I don't really care about the EarBuds to begin with. It's a matter of principle.

I doubt anyone who truly, really cares about music is listening to it on their phone in the first place.

I think you can get the iPhone to output acceptable quality audio.

Take that horse-shit out of here. Pocket books are the exact same as hardcovers. Go listen to James Blake on a shitty stereo and then tell me if you had a good time.

KtSlime

"What? You took photos of your child's birthday party and didn't use a SLR? Do you not care about your kid?"

Yeah, this is the important detail - it's the about the content not the quality. Sure better quality will always be something to strive towards, but as long as the quality doesn't interfere with the consumption of the content, then it did its job.

mescalineeyes: Someone's got to review it, and be posted where people will read the reviews. People who don't care about audio quality, or don't even know they can get better quality aren't going to venture to a website that exclusively reviews audio.

TheExodu5: Probably more like reading a book on a pixel based display, like a tablet or phone...

I'm trying to offload my iPhone 4 in order to pay for an iPhone 5. Nobody has jumped on it yet. Doh.

I'm trying to sell my 4s on ebay but nobody's biting. I'm probably just gonna trade it to the phone buyback program they have (they're offering up 300). I think iPhone 4 should be valued at 200 at the least if you're gonna go that route

KtSlime

A book will be accurate 100% no matter what device or medium you use to read it.

Music will never be 100% accurate, but you can try to get as close as you possibly can.

Sorry, but that is not true, there becomes a point where reading text becomes very uncomfortable, a similar point also exists for music. Clearer is always better, but to say that someone who doesn't strive for the clearest form in all cases doesn't care about the content at all is ludicrous.
(It says you are mistaken)

Husker86

Sorry, but that is not true, there becomes a point where reading text becomes very uncomfortable, a similar point also exists for music. Clearer is always better, but to say that someone who doesn't strive for the clearest form in all cases doesn't care about the content at all is ludicrous.
(It says you are mistaken)

It says that he should go back home to AVS forum.

I love music, and sometimes I listen to it on my MBA! Imagine that.

Guys, let's all calm down here.

Someone literally gave the new EarPods an A.
I mean, I don't know what wizardry we are getting into, but how on earth a pair of 30 dollar headphones deserve an A is beyond me.

Dartastic

Oh holy shit. They'll give me $190 for my 8 gig if I trade in a charger. Sold.

I'm trying to sell my 4s on ebay but nobody's biting. I'm probably just gonna trade it to the phone buyback program they have (they're offering up 300). I think iPhone 4 should be valued at 200 at the least if you're gonna go that route
Yeah, the extra ten dollars is like, whatever. I think I'm going to just bite on this.

KtSlime

I mean, I don't know what wizardry we are getting into, but how on earth a pair of 30 dollar headphones deserve an A is beyond me.

Because they are being compared to competitive products in the same price range, not the gamut of audio technology...

Because they are being compared to competitive products in the same price range, not the gamut of audio technology...

Which ones, the Sennheisers? I am very curious how they compare to them, and if the EarPods are an A, what the Sennheisers would end up being.

So what this sounds like to me is "oh well, these headphones sure sound pretty crappy, but at least not *as* crappy as all other headphones in this segment. A." Is it just me, or does that sound really stupid?

yami4ct

So, I'm having the worst CS experience right now. I woke up to find out Apple had canceled all of my iPhone 5 orders. Call them, they claim it's a problem on Verizon's end. Called Verizon, they claim it's apple. No one's willing to help. Apple CS's only suggestion is to freaking reorder. Stopping by a retail store later today. Hopefully talking to a real person will sort this out, but god dang this is the most frustrating experience I've had in a long time.

KtSlime

Which ones, the Sennheisers? I am very curious how they compare to them, and if the EarPods are an A, what the Sennheisers would end up being.

So what this sounds like to me is "oh well, these headphones sure sound pretty crappy, but at least not *as* crappy as all other headphones in this segment. A." Is it just me, or does that sound really stupid?

I suppose you'd have to read the review to see what their review process was. This really isn't rocket science. You'd be right to be upset if anyone said that this has flawless fidel audio, but to my understanding no one has made that claim or anything even close.

Edit: I'm done responding in this thread which should be about iP5 in general.

LCfiner

It's relative to price point. Especially at places like ilounge.

I would give the earpods a very good score for the under 50 dollar market. Very good score.

I would also give the Audeze lcd3 a high score but that costs 2 grand - and requires an amp and dac of similar price to sound it's best.

But the question should be: can you get better sound for less?

I question the impressions of that one person who said that he had 10 dollar buds that sounded as good as these. I've listened to a few midrange buds and the earpods are near the top. Even when compared to midrange IEMs, the earpods aren't blown out of the water entirely. The old buds absolutely are.

So you might be pleasantly surprised by these when you get them. Running around talking shit about people who "can't enjoy music" with these when you've never heard them isn't doing you any favors.

Top Bottom