• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Flo_Evans

Which ones, the Sennheisers? I am very curious how they compare to them, and if the EarPods are an A, what the Sennheisers would end up being.

So what this sounds like to me is "oh well, these headphones sure sound pretty crappy, but at least not *as* crappy as all other headphones in this segment. A." Is it just me, or does that sound really stupid?

It's like capcoms ranking after a fight.

A = acceptable
S = super
EX = excellent

Dartastic

Based on pre-order demand I'm planning to set up camp overnight!
FfffffFFFFffff. You live in the Bay though, where I live in Portland, Oregon. It only gets crazy here at the official Apple stores... I did this last time for my 4, and it wasn't really that bad. I got to the place at 6 I believe, and I was fine. This time I'll get there a bit earlier.

Love that they're including a travel case for the headphones in the box, it's a nice touch. They've never done that before, and have tended to strip away stuff in the box and keep it as minimal as possible. Also the box is a throw back to the original iphone box, which is awesome.

Dartastic

I just realized with that Ebay instant cash thing, it might be slightly problematic as my home button sticks sometimes. Will that be a problem, and if so, is there an easy way to deal with that?

LCfiner

fair enough.

so, having heard them, would you give them an A?

Ehhhhh. I dunno. Depends what it's up against.

If the old ones were a D, then I'd give the new ones - at the same price - an A or B.

I had foolishly bought a pair of v moda vibe duo back in 2005 or 2006. Those cost way more and still get a D from me.

I give my mad dogs an A+ because they sound better to my ears than several headphones that cost twice as much. (300 vs 500 or 600). If I had to put sound quality of these new buds against the mad dogs, regardless of cost, they get a C.

yami4ct

So, Verizon's system apparently shot back the orders because I had to make two new accounts to add two 5's. This is ridiculous. How else was I supposed to do it? After I added the first phone to the cart, the only option that worked was "create a new account" as attempts to add to the current account were shot back with "This number is not activated yet". Basically Verizon and Apple are giving me no apology and no recourse but to wait a month. Man, thinking I might not be switching off AT&T after verizon's treating me like this.

Anno

So as of now I have an expected delivery date of October 5th or so. Do I have any hope of finding it in an Apple/AT&T/Best Buy/Wal-Mart or something before then? I'll be out of town until Monday, so I certainly don't need it day one or anything.

i'm getting a pair of the headphones, they cost the same as the meelectronics headphones with mic i buy just hope the apple headphones fit this time.

@Whitta maybe you get to meet Woz again.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
"Audiophiles" are the worst.

That is strong, but I do feel sorry for people who are so picky about audio quality (or video quality for that matter).

I am completely tone deaf. I can literally hear very little difference between $15 Sennheiser in ear headphones and Sony MDRV6 or Grado SR80 headphones.

I buy headphones now for baseline quality (don't clip, obvious stuff like that) and comfort, as well as low cost.

So, Verizon's system apparently shot back the orders because I had to make two new accounts to add two 5's. This is ridiculous. How else was I supposed to do it? After I added the first phone to the cart, the only option that worked was "create a new account" as attempts to add to the current account were shot back with "This number is not activated yet". Basically Verizon and Apple are giving me no apology and no recourse but to wait a month. Man, thinking I might not be switching off AT&T after verizon's treating me like this.

Verizon's site is literally the worst. Have you called their customer service? I've had decent luck getting things done once I actually talk to a real human being.

Holy wow, http://pages.ebay.com/sellyourgadgets/ is making me feel even more justified in buying an iPhone. My 2 year old Droid X... $9.45. Comparable iPhone 4's, released around the same time are $190!!!

yami4ct

Verizon's site is literally the worst. Have you called their customer service? I've had decent luck getting things done once I actually talk to a real human being.

Yep. They said that it must of been Apple's fault. Had to go to a store to get any explanation. Also, this is the Apple store's website and Verizon's account processing that's screwed me. On the phone again hoping to get some recourse from someone as this is completely unacceptable. Clearly Verizon doesn't want families with multiple iPhones switching from AT&T.

Enco

That is strong, but I do feel sorry for people who are so picky about audio quality (or video quality for that matter).

I am completely tone deaf. I can literally hear very little difference between $15 Sennheiser in ear headphones and Sony MDRV6 or Grado SR80 headphones.

I buy headphones now for baseline quality (don't clip, obvious stuff like that) and comfort, as well as low cost.
This.

I'm no good at telling the difference between headphones or whatever. I can tell the original Apple ones suck but the next step up is good enough for me.

Epix

Just got my tracking info. It's in Memphis, TN with a scheduled delivery of the 21st.

Preordered through Verizon.com

Does AT&T have 4G? Im still trying to decide which carrier i want to use.

Which looks best-

AT&T- 39.00/mo 450 minutes
5000 Night & Weekend minutes
0.00/moPay per use
20¢ per text
20.00/mo300MB data

Sprint- $79.99/mo450 minutes
45¢ per extra minute

Unlimited messages
Text & MMS included

Unlimited data

Verizon- $80.00/moUnlimited minutes
No domestic roaming charges

Unlimited messages
Text & MMS included

300MB data

What data plan does everyone use? I definitely will be using the internet on this phone alot so is 300mb enough? Whats the average usage?

yami4ct

Verizon's twitter account was hilariously quick to jump on my angry tweet. Chatting with them now. Hopefully they can help somehow, but I doubt that.

yami4ct

No, 300mb is pathetic. You want at least 2gb.

To be fair, 300 MB's works for some people, but very few. A few I know that only use data to check an occasional web page or check email get by under 300 mb. For most, it is far to little. If you do heavy web browsing, stream any audio, use it for any sort of nav, or especially stream video, you need more.

Epix

How much data does the phone use just itself, like siri, or maps, or what not per month? I'm about to add Data to my plan and want to know what I should aim for... why 2gb?

2GB is a safe and comfortable usage of the phone. Moderate web surfing, occasional streaming video, etc.

To be fair, 300 MB's works for some people, but very few. A few I know that only use data to check an occasional web page or check email get by under 300 mb. For most, it is far to little. If you do heavy web browsing, stream any audio, use it for any sort of nav, or especially stream video, you need more.

I plan to do all of that. Whats the lowest i should get?

yami4ct

I plan to do all of that. Whats the lowest i should get?

I agree with Gary on this one. If you want to do any sort of data usage, I'd go 2GBs minimum. I do a lot of audio streaming, web browsing, and the occasional video and my usage is around there. If you plan to stream quite a bit of video, more than just the occasional youtube clip, you may want to consider adding a GB or two. For most people, 2GB should be a good starting point.

Aurizen

LMAO no

iphoen5unboxing1.jpg

yami4ct

Thing I'm noticing about VZW's twitter service, they seem to give you one customer service person that handles the hold problem, given how they sign their tweets with some initials. I like that. I can at least deal with the same person as I go back and forth trying to get this crap solved.

yami4ct said:
I agree with Gary on this one. If you want to do any sort of data usage, I'd go 2GBs minimum. I do a lot of audio streaming, web browsing, and the occasional video and my usage is around there. If you plan to stream quite a bit of video, more than just the occasional youtube clip, you may want to consider adding a GB or two. For most people, 2GB should be a good starting point.

Cool. Thanks guys.

2 gigs it is.

dyls

After reading more and more about AT&T's issues with LTE in LA (and Chicago), I'm starting to regret staying with them for another 2 years. I kind of had to since I get to keep my unlimited data, but I think it's going to be a serious clusterfuck.

I'm already planning on turning off LTE most of the time. I can still use HSPA+, right? Because the speeds my wife gets on her 4S are acceptable to me.

Dartastic

So super glad that I still have unlimited data from ATT. YESSSS.

I also need to clean my home button. Have you guys actually had decent success with using a q-tip and rubbing alcohol?

So super glad that I still have unlimited data from ATT. YESSSS.
If by unlimited you mean throttled into uselessness after 3gb, then yes.

You didn't pre-order?
Staying up late isn't what it used to be now we have a baby. I figured there was no way the pre-order system would actually be working at 12:01am because it never has been. I figured I'd wake up around 4am, which is when typically I've been able to get my order through, and try then. But by then it was too late! Apparently it WAS working at 12:01 this time. Fucking typical.

yami4ct

If by unlimited you mean throttled into uselessness after 3gb, then yes.

Staying up late isn't what it used to be now we have a baby. I figured there was no way the pre-order system would actually be working at 12:01am because it never has been. I figured I'd wake up around 4am, which is when typically I've been able to get my order through, and try then. But by then it was too late! Apparently it WAS working at 12:01 this time. Fucking typical.

Dude, consider yourself at lest semi-lucky. I thought I had one, but it got pulled out from underneath me. Given there's no way I can wait all night to get one in store, I have to wait a freaking month.

MasLegio

Banned
Cool. Thanks guys.

2 gigs it is.

1 gb might be sufficient depending on how often you have access to wifi especially if you have the 64gb iPhone. If you use the sync option and download most of the music you listen to in services like spotify when in wifi, and download podcasts in wifi the "streaming" music services wont use much data.

Top Bottom